NFL in Talks with Disney for ESPN/NFL Network Alliance

ESPN and the NFL are in advanced talks that could result in the league taking an equity stake in ESPN, The Post has learned. As part of a potential agreement, Disney-owned ESPN would take control of NFL Media, which includes NFL Network, and the league would receive equity in ESPN. For the long-term viability of ESPN aligning with the most powerful sports league would enhance its position as the network plans to move to direct to consumer by 2025. While the idea of an ESPN-NFL alliance has been mentioned before, discussions between Disney-owned ESPN and the NFL are far enough along that sources said that owners and the Players Association are being informed about the talks. The owners and players need to be involved in the equity agreement because of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the two sides that calls for them to share revenues. It is unclear of how an equity stake in ESPN would be accounted for in the CBA. It still could take months for a deal to be finalized. Both ESPN and the NFL declined comment. The NFL has been trying to unload its network for years now. In its recent talks that resulted in its $110-plus billion deals with ESPN, Amazon, CBS, Fox, NBC and YouTube, the NFL searched for a buyer, but was unsuccessful. 

Since ESPN covers the league thoroughly, there would be synergies if the two sides are able to reach an agreement. Disney/ESPN might be able to secure better carriage arrangements for NFL Network. ESPN has targeted 2025 as the most likely year it will go direct-to-consumer.

It is still possible it could move up the date to end of this year. When it does, it plans on offering all its programming without a cable subscription. A subscriber could choose to pay for the service directly through ESPN’s app or would still be able to opt for the ESPN channels through a cable or satellite provider. ESPN currently offers ESPN+ as a separate add-on service, but it has more specialty programming, including one exclusive NFL game. 

As it turns to direct-to-consumer, ESPN ideally wants a league partner and one of the top digital players, such as, but not limited to Apple, Amazon or Verizon, so it can leverage its content with the best distribution channels. In June, CNBC reported that ESPN held talks with the NFL, NBA and MLB. ESPN currently pays the NFL around $2.6 billion per year for rights that include 25 games, highlighted by its weekly Monday Night prime time schedule.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/12/sports/espn-nfl-in-advanced-talks-on-agreement-that-could-give-league-equity-in-tv-giant/

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

What this shows is that the NFL is more and more an avenue for mere entertainment like a Broadway Show and less and less a competitive event between two rival sports organizations.   

If we are paying attention this report one can better understand the NFL’s mindless promotion of Taylor Swift, the NFL’s conflict with gambling interests and the league’s “poor” officiating.   It becomes clear now. 

Bingo!!!  We're on the path to the NFL becoming like pro wrestling

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

ESPN has always walked a fine line.  They own the broadcast rights to sports that they profit on.  They also cover sports from a jurnalistic perspective.  If they become a business partner with a league the jurnalistic integrity goes away completely.  

That's the thin line that seperates ESPN from NFL network when it comes to covering the NFL.   That line will now be obliterated.  ESPN will effectively be the publicist of the NFL corporation.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Sending your kids to college is the first mistake

I sent 3 to college and they're all the better for it. It's not for everyone. My point is all of these MBAs are hired by big companies to find ways to cut costs and increase profits. Which is OK just smart business but when it cuts service and increases prices of commodities their business model for customers is max profit only. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is absolutely devastating to read. ESPN’s NFL coverage is an absolute abomination and their flagship show NFL Live is entirely unwatchable. Orlovsky saying the dumbest sh*t, the old Cowboys defensive tackle mumbling through some inane player-perspective mumbo jumbo, all punctuated by Mina Kimes cheerily puking up PFF stats fellating whatever team her and Barnwell think is acceptably novel that week. And that’s before you bring in Ryan Clark who’s just unnecessarily angry about things and does that horrendous Shaq shtick where he pretends he’s the sage gatekeeper determining which players we’re allowed to think are good or bad. **** off, Clark. You and Rodney Harrison were dirty, over-rated players. 

I might differ with you on Orlovsky (who tbh I haven't heard all that much of) but I agree on the rest.  Pretty sure Mina Kimes was the one they paid a fortune to even though I can't imagine anyone is tuning in to hear what she has to say.  Barnwell is impossible to listen to as a Jet fan because he's sort of a BB barking dog who spews hate at us.  Fully agree with your Ryan Clark comments.  The guy is incredibly obnoxious.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dude sniffed Molly Qerim’s shoe on air.  

Well, that's "unusual" - lol.  Ugh!

I was more talking about his NFL points.  How about SaS talking about a vibrating phone too, btw?!  (I had no idea about either of these incidents).  I do, however, remember seeing one of the guys try to get Molly to bend over to play center (video below).   There's nothing more idiotic then when they try to line up these guys in the studio as if they were on the field.  Though part of me gets a laugh of at how ridiculously stupid these shows are.

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

That's the thin line that seperates ESPN from NFL network when it comes to covering the NFL.   That line will now be obliterated.  ESPN will effectively be the publicist of the NFL corporation.

To be fair, the NFL brought every journalistic entity trying to cover them to heel a long time ago. If you’re critical of them in any non-superficial way, you’re toast. Just look at our current corps of Jets beat writers who all sit around playing XBOX waiting for Jets PR to text them what to write. The league funnels all of their “serious” reporting on things like CTE, Dan Snyder, Deshaun Watson, etc through their hand-picked “Insiders” who soft-pedal and kill every story when needed. Interestingly, the only people allowed to sh*t on the league actually work for the league. Eisen can be highly critical of NFL people, and the Around the NFL podcast will directly attack Goodell when necessary, but if you’re an affiliate partner? No chance