Could Woody change his mind now?

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

In order for this to happen, somebody would have to get in Woody’s ear and explain to him why keeping all of these losers around him is a bad idea, but there is no such person in Woody Johnson’s life. 

There is one person - AAron

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Absolutely not.  I read hyperbole on here all the time such as “no good coaches will ever take this job bc Woody” or “no Gm will take this job bc our culture is toxic and bc Woody.”

If an owner publicly endorses his coach and gm, says they’re back, then turns around and fires them….then that is precisely how you will never attract good candidates.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

As much as I think Woody has a large blind spot, there has to be a voice in his ear saying that the coaching landscape has changed wildly since he proclaimed this current regime safe 2 weeks ago. I have to think that phone calls will be made, very quietly at first to Harbaugh, Vrabel and possibly McCarthy if he goes. If I'm JD and Saleh, I would not be resting easy this week. 

Harbaugh would never work for Woody and Woody is incapable of making a good and wise decision.

• Upvote 1

I think there was a major failure this year to prepare with a decent backup QB. But this regime has overall done well turning over the roster. As bad as this year was, how does firing everyone and starting new help? We’re a decent Qb Away from being a really good team- and as much as I understand they failed on the backup QB front- there’s not much more that needs to significantly improve. We’ve attempted to address OL and just missed on some players. Restore the OL and get a viable backup- why blowup everything?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In order for this to happen, somebody would have to get in Woody’s ear and explain to him why keeping all of these losers around him is a bad idea, but there is no such person in Woody Johnson’s life. 

The league needs to step in and make Woody see the light. You would think that the league doesn't want a NY market team to be an embarrassment.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, billo83 said:

The league needs to step in and make Woody see the light. You would think that the league doesn't want a NY market team to be an embarrassment.

Why?

This isn't the 80s, your top players and the faces of the league can be from KC, from Green Bay, soon from Houston, from where ever.

• Upvote 3

We’re a perfect offseason away from being a contender

We’re a good offseason away from being a playoff team

We’re a bad offseason away from blowing it all up

The chances of a perfect offseason are extremely low

We’re most likely getting bounced in the wild card or going 9-8 and missing the playoffs

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Let's walk this dog

They fire jd and Saleh. OK there's still the Rodgers contract and his control. There's still Hackett 

All the woody stuff aside they can't really do much of anything until Rodgers retires. And his contract is such they don't want him to retire yet 

Does anybody really believe a guy like Harbaugh wants to put his legacy on the line with a 40+ year old QB coming off a major injury?  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also, as has been mentioned too many times to count here, based on the tv revenue sharing currently in place, there is no benefit to Woody to have the Jets be good. It only matters to a few type A personalities of which Woody is definitely not one of. Our only hope is that he sees buying a team for $700mm that is now worth 5-6 billion as a great trade and asks for the check. Until he’s gone, this will never change.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

49 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Absolutely not.  I read hyperbole on here all the time such as “no good coaches will ever take this job bc Woody” or “no Gm will take this job bc our culture is toxic and bc Woody.”

If an owner publicly endorses his coach and gm, says they’re back, then turns around and fires them….then that is precisely how you will never attract good candidates.  

They did exactly that in 2009.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t even think Aaron has his ear. It’s just Hymie Elhai giving him the P and L’s and the season ticket re-ups and that’s the end of it. The rest of it is Douglas blowing smoke up his ass about how close they are

Exactly... This is the reason we need a President of Football Operations. Someone to tell Woody to go sit down and be quiet, or better yet behave lol... I wish the league would step in and force someone good on the Woodster.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Woody's mind is likely racing at 110mph today.

He must have thought he won the trade with Green Bay, yet they are the ones preparing for a Divisional Play Off game. He was told going with a defensive head coach was the way to go, but defenses are a non-factor in the playoffs. 

In the back of his mind, he must know Saleh and Douglas are sunk cost at this stage. But who does he turn to, to seek validation of these suspicions? Which other opinion within the organization does he trust? 

In the end, nothing will happen. Woody would much rather fire a guy a year too late, than a year too early. This is who he is. All we can reasonably hope for is that either by accident or design,  he finds a better football czar to oversee all the big decisions this time next year. 

He realizes he got fleeced

• Upvote 2

As much as I think Woody has a large blind spot, there has to be a voice in his ear saying that the coaching landscape has changed wildly since he proclaimed this current regime safe 2 weeks ago. I have to think that phone calls will be made, very quietly at first to Harbaugh, Vrabel and possibly McCarthy if he goes. If I'm JD and Saleh, I would not be resting easy this week. 

Yes, in between counting his money and picking out some new custom jewelry, I'm sure. HAHA

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

Woody always fires a year late. Everyone is safe.

Agreed and it really stinks.  There are some very high quality HCs out there right now.  We should go get one while they're still available, rather than waiting because "it doesn't fit our timeline".  I don't think Harbaugh is coming here (though we should try).  I don't think Vrabel would prefer us (he's a Patriots guy) but, so far, it doesn't seem like he's being linked to anyone.  If he really wants to continue coaching next year and we're the only team who makes him an offer, maybe he'll consider it.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Exactly... This is the reason we need a President of Football Operations. Someone to tell Woody to go sit down and be quiet, or better yet behave lol... I wish the league would step in and force someone good on the Woodster.

Why do people think the league cares what the Jets do on the field? It's actually to their advantage for the Jets to stink because the stadium will always be full and the ratings will be there, no matter what the record. That's not true of most other teams who need the wins to get the dollars.

• Post of the Week 1

He let Mike Maccagnan spend big money in free agency and make the third pick in the draft before firing him in the spring. I think for someone who’s done a firing at that stage in the process, changing their mind at the last minute always has to be considered as a possibility.

In this case, I don’t think he will. This particular circumstance is a perfect storm of Woody battling a reputation of being impulsive while simultaneously being cheap and the current group in charge having a built in excuse.

After this season he can go in front of the microphones and say I gave Douglas almost his full six year deal to execute his vision and he hasn’t delivered so we need to start fresh. The only questions that will come Woody’s way was whether it was too late - this year people would have pontificated on whether Douglas and Saleh got a fair shake given the Rodgers injury.

And he won’t have to pay two GM’s for this season. It is easily the most businesslike approach.

^None of this is to say he shouldn’t move on, by the way. I think the organization needs a fresh start personally. Just don’t think he will based on his track record and how I believe he’ll think about it.

• Upvote 4

He would have to be a logical, sane person who is not full of his own ego.  Sorry, but that's impossible with our child of an owner.  He's playing with his toy.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Let's walk this dog

They fire jd and Saleh. OK there's still the Rodgers contract and his control. There's still Hackett 

All the woody stuff aside they can't really do much of anything until Rodgers retires. And his contract is such they don't want him to retire yet 

yup. But that doesn't help my nausea when I think about Saleh HC another year and stubborn JD.

• Upvote 1