The Broncos almost traded up to take Darnold, but Gettleman cocked it up

Man, how different would Jets history be if Gettleman agrees to this trade? Broncos come up to 2 for Darnold, and the Jets are then forced to pick between Rosen and Allen at 3. As I remember it, Maccagnan preferred Rosen(?) Ultimately, it doesn’t make a difference because Allen would have busted huge here, but Rosen would have flamed out inside of two years and 2020 was the Burrow/Tua/Herbert draft (where we picked Becton). 

But if you’re a Giants fan hearing this, how tortured are you? They would have taken Josh Allen at five and could have, in the second round, drafted Nick Chubb, who went one pick after the Giants drafted Will Hernandez. Then in the third, they took BJ Hill one pick ahead of Fred Warner. 

IMG_4889.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The bigger botch was Douglas not sticking with Darnold for one more year and accepting a huge bounty for pick #2 from San Francisco instead of drafting Zach Wilson and then being ready to go hard for a QB the next year or so after the team was actually built instead of partially built.

Agree, but wasn't the issue related to Darnold's guaranteed money and picking up his 5th year option?  I seem to recall Douglas was hyper focused on saving cap dollars and wanted to reset the QB clock.

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The bigger botch was Douglas not sticking with Darnold for one more year and accepting a huge bounty for pick #2 from San Francisco instead of drafting Zach Wilson and then being ready to go hard for a QB the next year or so after the team was actually built instead of partially built.

This is exactly what I was hoping for at the time.  Our team would be looking a lot different right now, had we used that strategy.

• Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The obsession with Barkley was always bizarre to me

never made sense to take a RB there 

It’s not as bad as some of JDs picks lol.. Barkley has easily been their best player since coming in. On offense, by 100 miles. That doesn’t say much about the giants GMs decisions post Barkley. Their OL is just as bad as jets. Seems to be a theme in New York football, qbs and rbs getting hurt, behind a bad OL.

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Agree, but wasn't the issue related to Darnold's guaranteed money and picking up his 5th year option?  I seem to recall Douglas was hyper focused on saving cap dollars and wanted to reset the QB clock.

They could have just as easily traded darnold for the 2 and the 4 to carolina and brought in a vet for a year or so.

Either or, keep darnold or traded him but the they could have got so much for that #2 pick and actually had a ready built team when they decided to draft their next QB.

And Douglas has repeated the mistake by panicking with the Aaron rodgers move.

The jets convinced themselves the team was built and all they need is a QB.  The team is still not sufficiently bile to win.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Man, how different would Jets history be if Gettleman agrees to this trade? Broncos come up to 2 for Darnold, and the Jets are then forced to pick between Rosen and Allen at 3. As I remember it, Maccagnan preferred Rosen(?) Ultimately, it doesn’t make a difference because Allen would have busted huge here, but Rosen would have flamed out inside of two years and 2020 was the Burrow/Tua/Herbert draft (where we picked Becton). 

But if you’re a Giants fan hearing this, how tortured are you? They would have taken Josh Allen at five and could have, in the second round, drafted Nick Chubb, who went one pick after the Giants drafted Will Hernandez. Then in the third, they took BJ Hill one pick ahead of Fred Warner. 

IMG_4889.jpeg

So the bottom line is Mac would still have made a bad choice if he picked Rosen.  At least he wouldn’t have picked Barkley.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_4889.jpeg

We would have got Rosen and then site would have got shutdown for antisemitism.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Jets would have ended up with Rosen, not Allen. We all know it.

We would, but i think Tom's point is Rosen would have flamed out quicker than Darnold, so we would drafted a QB in the 2020 draft (Burrow, Herbert, Tua) instead of 2021 (Wilson, Lance, Fields). 

Herbert is very good, he likely would have been good enough to overcome Gase in his rookie season. But the butterfly effect is we then, don't have Sauce, G Wilson, etc. Maybe we keep Gase another season, and we dip into the 2022 head coaching pool. Daboll or Pederson take over the reins. 

But knowing the Jets, we give the job to Nathaniel Hackett. Shudder. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

As someone who was very, very pro-keep-Darnold-and-trade-down at the time, it was a reasonable plan to draft Zach or Fields at 2 because 1. The next year’s QB crop was the miserable Kenny Pickett class and 2. No GM should ever think they’ll get a shot at picking inside the top five twice in their tenure without getting fired for it. Douglas was in the right to take his shot at a QB there

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As someone who was very, very pro-keep-Darnold-and-trade-down at the time, it was a reasonable plan to draft Zach or Fields at 2 because 1. The next year’s QB crop was the miserable Kenny Pickett class and 2. No GM should ever think they’ll get a shot at picking inside the top five twice in their tenure without getting fired for it. Douglas was in the right to take his shot at a QB there

We have word on Zach’s whereabouts. He’s grinding film in Bora Bora.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We have word on Zach’s whereabouts. He’s grinding film in Bora Bora.

Connor Hughes, Cimini, Rosenblatt: HI GUYS TAKING QUESTIONS FOR THE NEXT MAILBAG. ASK ME ANYTHING

Fan: Hey, what happened to Zach Wilson? Haven’t heard from him since he disappeared into the blue medical tent in Miami.

CH/RC/ZR: WHICH FREE AGENT TACKLES SHOULD THE JETS TARGET? I AM GLAD YOU ASKED!

• Haha 3