Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged

19 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Brock Bowers  6'3" 243 lbs    56 receptions  714 yards   6 TD's        guaranteed Ring of Honor and likely gold jacket

Jace Amaro     6'5"  260 lbs.   106 receptions  1,352 yarrds   7 TD's     2nd rounder & one of many all time Jet busts 

You haven't really looked into this too deeply. It's understandable.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

In an offense centered around Aaron, Garrett, and Breece, "average" at the TE position is perfectly suitable.  Ruckert is talented, well rounded, and deserves a chance to prove his worth after being developed by the team for two years.  They also have a high ceiling, physically gifted prospect on the roster in Kuntz.  Yeboah is certainly replaceable, but it should be noted he's a key contributor on special teams.  The main point is that the room is already talented and young.  Again, just don't see the need for another TE.

Bowers built his reputation largely on volume.  The Jets don't need a volume guy taking touches away from Garrett and Breece in my opinion.  They need a future #1/2 opposite Garrett or a blocker keeping Aaron's jersey clean and opening up holes for Breece.

Ruckert has had 2 years to prove his worth, he has 17 catches and 159 yards on 24 targets. He is a good blocker.

Did Kuntz even play last year? Yeboah is a dog with fleas. The TE room is below average, with Conklin on his last year of his contract. 

Bowers built his reputation as being one the best offensive players Georgia ever had. He had 31 TDs in 194 touches. I am not sure I would have said volume. Garrett had 168 targets last year, that will go down whether the Jets draft Bowers or not. Williams is going to take targets away from Garrett. If the Jets draft a WR in the 3rd or 1st, he will take away targets from Garrett. 

Bowers caught 62.8% of his targets of 15-plus Air Yards for 30.7 yards per catch including 10.7 Yards After Catch per reception. He is a down the field threat. Bowers had 36 receptions for 1,087 yards and 10 touchdowns. He is not just a screen pass guy. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Perfectly suitable?  What is this sh*t?  Ruckert is far from dynamic.  The idea is to improve the team.  There is no doubt that Bowers would improve the team, the question is whether he would improve it more than whoever else they can pick.  The arguments can get very saucy once we find out who is left.  We might be able to work a trade up or a trade down, but as I have said before the argument is quite different if you are discussing Odunze or Nabers vs. Bowers or Thomas/Mitchell.  

Kuntz literally was on the practice squad, available for any team to poach until about week 17.  He did not play a snap.  Yeboah is primarily a special teamer and was ahead of Kuntz the entire year.  The idea that you think these two fringe practice squad players should influence draft philosophy seems highly misguided.  You are worried about Bowers needing volume, but a WR would probably be the same.  I want a player that warrants volume by merit.  WR, TE, whatever.

Yes, Conklin is perfectly suitable.  I guess I'm higher on Ruckert than you.  I think we'll see that potential this season now the Uzomah is off the team.

I agree that bottom of the roster players shouldn't dictate the draft, but positional value certainly should in the first round of the draft.  I'm simply saying that the TE room is already talented and young, and it's anchored by a moderately productive, durable vet.  There is no big hole at TE that needs filling.

Bowers would be a good pick near the bottom of the first round when other blue chips at high value positions are off the board.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Bowers built his reputation as being one the best offensive players Georgia ever had.

People under estimate the power of that statement

It's like bowers and herschel walker in uga all time history 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Yes, Conklin is perfectly suitable.  I guess I'm higher on Ruckert than you.  I think we'll see that potential this season now the Uzomah is off the team.

I agree that bottom of the roster players shouldn't dictate the draft, but positional value certainly should in the first round of the draft.  I'm simply saying that the TE room is already talented and young, and it's anchored by a moderately productive, durable vet.  There is no big hole at TE that needs filling.

Bowers would be a good pick near the bottom of the first round when other blue chips at high value positions are off the board.

Fine with most of this, but the TE room is not particularly talented or young.  They have 2 NFL level players on a team that runs 12 personnel 17% of the time.  Especially when you consider they actually carried and played a FB and ran some 13 too. 

6 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

You haven't really looked into this too deeply. It's understandable.

If they pick him i will certainly root for him once he recovers from his hamstring issues.  Any time you can add the best check down receiver in the draft to a creative offensive mind like Hackett big wins are coming 

14 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Ruckert has had 2 years to prove his worth, he has 17 catches and 159 yards on 24 targets. He is a good blocker.

Did Kuntz even play last year? Yeboah is a dog with fleas. The TE room is below average, with Conklin on his last year of his contract. 

Bowers built his reputation as being one the best offensive players Georgia ever had. He had 31 TDs in 194 touches. I am not sure I would have said volume. Garrett had 168 targets last year, that will go down whether the Jets draft Bowers or not. Williams is going to take targets away from Garrett. If the Jets draft a WR in the 3rd or 1st, he will take away targets from Garrett. 

Bowers caught 62.8% of his targets of 15-plus Air Yards for 30.7 yards per catch including 10.7 Yards After Catch per reception. He is a down the field threat. Bowers had 36 receptions for 1,087 yards and 10 touchdowns. He is not just a screen pass guy. 

Ruckert has been hurt by playing behind two moderately paid vets.  It's now down to just one.  Yes, he's a very good blocker.  I think he'll show he can be a regular contributor in the passing game as well when given the opportunity.  He had 54 receptions, 615 yards, and 12 TDs at Ohio State over his career while competing with Wilson and Olave for targets. 

Disagree that the TE room is below average.  It's perfectly fine.  It has young developing players, like you want.  They've actually built this unit the right way outside of the misguided signing of Uzomah.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking a TE in the mid to late rounds with Conkin going into his final year.  But I certainly don't think the #10 pick should be used for that purpose.

41 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yes!

The Bower boys ought to ask the Falcons if they'd rather have Jamarr Chase, Penei Sewell, or stick with their original pick of "freakish" TE Kyle Pitts at #4 overall 🤣🤣

People have short memories.

As with Bowers, the superlatives being used to describe Pitts were so over-the-top, and on some level, understandable, but unfortunately, reality hasn't jived with the hype train.

And Pitts (4.44) is bigger, stronger, and faster than Bowers 🤣

Pitts had a pretty good his Rookie year and then got hurt in his 2nd year. He did put up pedestrian number last year. Never wanted him, but you claiming Bowers isn't any good is just silly. 

And yes I want Odunze, I wanted in December, and I still want him.

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Ruckert has been hurt by playing behind two moderately paid vets.  It's now down to just one.  Yes, he's a very good blocker.  I think he'll show he can be a regular contributor in the passing game as well when given the opportunity.  He had 54 receptions, 615 yards, and 12 TDs at Ohio State over his career while competing with Wilson and Olave for targets. 

Disagree that the TE room is below average.  It's perfectly fine.  I wouldn't be opposed to taking a TE in the mid to late rounds with Conkin going into his final year.  But I certainly don't think the #10 pick should be used for that purpose.

I want Odunze. I understand if they went after Fuaga. But Bowers is no slouch, and would be a great addition to this offense. After him this TE class stinks.

Just now, Claymation said:

I want Odunze. I understand if they went after Fuaga. But Bowers is no slouch, and would be a great addition to this offense. After him this TE class stinks.

Fair enough.  I've said all along Bowers deserves a first round grade.  But he's simply not a player I'm taking at #10 with the projected talent still on the board.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

If they pick him i will certainly root for him once he recovers from his hamstring issues.  Any time you can add the best check down receiver in the draft to a creative offensive mind like Hackett big wins are coming 

He’s not just a check down receiver. Not even close. You have no idea what you’re talking about but seem to have such a strong opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Honestly I want fuaga but I have convinced myself that bowers wouldn't be a disaster 

Bowers the player is fine.  Bowers instead of, say, fuaga is also fine if these tackles hold ok and/or a guy like warren is a decent option.  

Also wondering that if the jets take a pass catcher tonight, they deal next year’s draft capital to move up and just get a tackle prospect they can live with.  

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Isn't one of Zach Wilson's uncles the founder of BlueStar Airlines?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

He’s not just a check down receiver. Not even close. You have no idea what you’re talking about but seem to have such a strong opinion.

Time will tell with him.  I just think we have more immediate needs than Bowers.  But if we should pick him, we shall all hope he proves to be the player so many of you are projecting him to be.  

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Disagree that the TE room is below average.  It's perfectly fine.  It has young developing players, like you want.  They've actually built this unit the right way outside of the misguided signing of Uzomah.

Conklin was the #13 TE in receiving yards last year on the 31st total offense in the league. He’s probably fine, and they have decent prospects behind him. There’s no great need to upgrade the TE room. The WR and OT situations could use some shoring up, however. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slats said:

Conklin was the #13 TE in receiving yards last year on the 31st total offense in the league. He’s probably fine, and they have decent prospects behind him. There’s no great need to upgrade the TE room. The WR and OT situations could use some shoring up, however. 

Find it hard to believe that JD in an "all in" year is going to draft a TE at #10 to split time with Conklin and Ruckert.  The needs at OL and WR line up perfectly with the projected talent that is going to be available.

And I don't want to hear another word about using #10 to draft a tweener TE to play slot WR.  That type of project is what the late rounds are for.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Wrong. You don't know what you're talking about.

Bowers targets at or behind line of scrimmage:
2021 and 2022 with Moncken OC and Bennett QB - 41 of 144 28%
2023 with Bobo OC and Beck QB 35 of 72 48%

2023 first half targets - 58% at or behind LOS
2023 second half - 38% at or behind LOS

They obviously didn’t trust Beck at the beginning of the season. 66 percent of his first 30 passes to Bowers were at or behind LOS

The Screen Gawd

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetpain said:

Brock Bowers  6'3" 243 lbs    56 receptions  714 yards   6 TD's        guaranteed Ring of Honor and likely gold jacket

Jace Amaro     6'5"  260 lbs.   106 receptions  1,352 yarrds   7 TD's     2nd rounder & one of many all time Jet busts 

Yes, but Amaro was just an oversized slot receiver with somewhat undesirable athletic testing numbers whereas Bowers will be a relatively normal sized slot receiver who avoided testing altogether. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Already posted this great breakdown of what Conklin did well last season with our sub par QB room, will post again , 

I'm in agreement with all you just posted!.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jago said:

if he really plays to 240+ maybe ok.
i have seen weight estimates as low as 225

bowers gained the weight to put him over 240 for the combine to quell the weight narrative ... that's why he didn't run ... he never played at 240 ... more like a light 230 at best. 

• Upvote 4

Can we close this thread now?  Thank you Joe Douglas for not picking an undersized TE or bigger slot receiver with our 1st round pick.  There's hope for you yet.  

And thanks for not buying in to all the Bowers nonsense.  Literally "non" "sense" for the NY Jets at this time. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Can we close this thread now?  Thank you Joe Douglas for not picking an undersized TE or bigger slot receiver with our 1st round pick.  There's hope for you yet.  

And thanks for not buying in to all the Bowers nonsense.  Literally "non" "sense" for the NY Jets at this time. 

Yeah let’s close the thread with a victory lap three years early that has no basis in factual reality