Grade the 24 Jets Draft

No grade until I see what the players can do on the field.

I'm still not entirely sure where fans were expecting these supposed starters. The team didn't have any glaring holes where a starter needs to be plugged in from day 1.

• Upvote 2

C+

it was mostly a sloppy affair after 1… most of you love the idea of Corley more than the actual player. Nice enough ceiling but also a bust floor. 

only thing that saved round 4 from abject disaster was getting a future pick. Round 5 was solid. That’s about it. 

• Upvote 2

I give it a B- .. personal preference thing I guess.. I would have preferred Rice with our last 4th rnd pick. We'll see what happens ... If anything is known .. it's that prognosticating these picks at this point is hard.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

1st day needs to be weighted differently than day 2 & definitely day 3.

So your high C should really be a solid B or B+

I see it the other way around. 1st round is more of a no brainer. Past the third is where the mystery exists.

A trained monkey could make a solid 10 pick

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

It’s only a strength until DJ or Sauce miss time. Then you’re grateful you secured depth… same with RB’s behind Breece.

No its different than the RB position. Behind DJ and Sauce they have a great Nickel who can also play outside in Carter and they have Echols and Hayes. So the CB position IS the strength of this team. Now at least. It the near future, as I said, it may not be. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

C+

it was mostly a sloppy affair after 1… most of you love the idea of Corley more than the actual player. Nice enough ceiling but also a bust floor. 

I don’t see a star WR but see someone who will be very useful and make big plays for us 

he’s also a nice complement to the WRs we already had 

I don’t see a star WR but see someone who will be very useful and make big plays for us 
And fun as hell to watch... Last receiver this team had that could break tackles was Wayne Chrebet.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

C

Trade down and then get Fashanu, really good.

Get Corley, this guy is the key to the draft if he is as good as people are talking then success but we heard the exact same shi* about Elijah Moore when he was drafted and Douglas track record at wr stinks.

National Football League GIF by New York Jets

20 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

And fun as hell to watch... Last receiver this team had that could break tackles was Wayne Chrebet.

I don't know about that. I'd say Braylon Edwards and Brandon Marshall were pretty good at breaking tackles.

24 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Corley is the same height as Chrebet, but 25-30 pounds heavier, and faster. This is the pick I’m most excited about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Could be A+.  Not at all probable to be a bad draft.  Fashanu's tape/film is there. He's already a pro ready bass blocker.  He'll take to it quicker than Brick did if Tyron goes down early.  Anyone that has been reading my posts knows that I wanted Corley.  I figured Jets would go TE or OT with their first round pick and leave the WR to round three.  Corley was by far my highest rated 3rd round WR pick if they were lucky enough to get him.  You could not find a better #3 WR.  This is the player that will get open at critical times when #1and #2 are covered.  He does not run precise routs, but the way he cuts leaves DB's wondering what happened.  His moves also sees him add yardage after the catch.  He's going to be Rodgers best friend in tight spots and when the game is on the line and they NEED that 3rd down conversion. 

The RB picks are a bit of a head scratcher, but it looks as if they are planning to run some power ball with more of an aggressive man blocking scheme and little to know line motion/shifts.  Perfect for Rodgers and it makes me happy too.  I like watching guards blast nice holes.  I'm guessing Travis will make the roster and Davis probably wont.

Travis was a nice pick as far as hoping for QB #3.  Less than a backup, but more than a camp arm.  He's not the QB of the future by any reasoning, but he's a probable #3 which they need.

I don't know anything about Stiggers and Key.  Will they be on the roster comes game 1 ???

If Fashanu and Corley play as well as I expect, I would call it an A- to B+ draft. 

1,000 moving parts.  Gotta see how it all works on the field. 

• Upvote 1

I think the team had a plan going into the offseason, and they provided themselves with an opportunity in the draft to not only build for the future, but provide some security if a player or two go down.  

WR 3 is a probable starter and will make an impact.  

I would say the draft was around a B or less, but the offseason plan and apparent execution was an A or better.

30 minutes ago, slats said:

Corley is the same height as Chrebet, but 25-30 pounds heavier, and faster. This is the pick I’m most excited about. 

The college game is so much less demanding from a football IQ POV than the NFL.

Everyone knows about the intangibles, but I don’t think Wayne gets enough credit for how well he grew to understand the game.

Just a savvy, dependable player.  Probably my favorite Jet of all time.

Corley will have to go from essentially being told “here’s the ball now go make something happen” to learning an NFL playbook, route running, route concepts, how to read coverage / how to attack NFL defenses, etc.

IMO he has a decently high ceiling but also a low Laviska Shenault type of floor. 

If he’s a stronger version of peak Curtis Samuel, that’s prob ok.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You described every WR taken after the first 3. 

I don’t see a lot of sober takes on Corley  

1 hour ago, LSJF said:

National Football League GIF by New York Jets

1 top 10 pick with colossal fails with mims and moore.  He also signed lazard to a fat 4 year deal.  He refuses to draft a 2nd wr in his drafts despite many of them being there in the mid rounds far better than dogs like lazard and udfa like gipson and Browlee.

Douglas is fine with his no brainer 1st round picks.  No so good from rounds 3 onward and that is how you build an entire team.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

B-

They went into the draft needing backups. It's strange to say but true we didn't need any starters this year.

So we got what appears to be good backup /spot starters.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

Corley will be the slot WR starter, which in this league is a starter. And if Olu doesn’t start at one of the Tackle spots in place of two 33 year olds and their injury history we will all be shocked.

8 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Too soon ; come ask me in 5 years .

At which point the reply will be “why are you kicking a dead horse, that’s the past, what difference does it make now. Look forward, not back!”

• Haha 1

In this draft the Jets appear to have valued raw statistical production more than usual.

Allen and Davis both have impressive production, even if their tape and measurables doesn’t necessarily suggest it will translate too well to the NFL.

Similar to Macc, they’re also a sucker for a feel-good story.

IMO you have to try and take emotion out of it and honestly ask yourself if you think this guy is likely going to succeed in whatever role you envision for him.

No idea specifically about Stiggers, but just a general observation.

The Cowboys took Deuce Vaughn in rd 5 last year because his dad is on their staff, and he proceeds to rush for like 1.5 YPC.

• Upvote 1

Mel Kiper’s grade

New York Jets: B

Top needs entering the draft: Wide receiver, offensive tackle, safety

Round 1 was always going to be a delicate balance for Jets GM Joe Douglas, who had to balance his team's short-term championship window alongside 40-year-old quarterback Aaron Rodgers with the long-term vision of building a sustainable contender. He needed to add a player who could be a star both now and later, someone who could make a significant contribution as a rookie. That's why I thought offensive tackle might be a tough sell to Rodgers -- and to fans -- at No. 10. New York added Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses in March to man those spots in 2024, and a rookie might have to be the swing tackle or move inside to guard for a year.

Instead, Douglas stuck to his board and got his guy with Olu Fashanu (11), a prototypical left tackle who can be Smith's replacement in 2025. It wasn't the flashiest pick, but if Fashanu can hit his ceiling, he could be a stellar player at a premium position for a decade.

Malachi Corley (65) had 29 receiving touchdowns over the past three seasons and makes cornerbacks look silly after the catch. The Jets took two running backs in Braelon Allen(134) and Isaiah Davis (173), who will duke it out to be Breece Hall's backup. Allen is my fifth-ranked back in the class, while Davis lands at No. 10.

Qwan'tez Stiggers (176) is one of the most fascinating picks in the entire draft. He became the third player in the common draft era (since 1967) to be selected without attending college and the first CFL player with no college experience to be drafted. And he can play, too. Quarterback Jordan Travis (171) was tremendously productive at Florida State. Could he be stashed as the Jets' third QB behind Tyrod Taylor this season?

Douglas also executed several trades throughout the weekend, maneuvering up and down the board, including a deal for the Lions' 2025 third-rounder. Corley might be the most important pick of this class in the short term, as I could see him having a role in 2024. Douglas did a nice job getting value throughout.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Top 2 Picks - A. 

As good as could likely be done.  Addressed the two glaring massive needs for 2024.

The Rest of the picks - D

Only the "Big Bruiser RB" makes any real sense to me.

We only had 2 RB's on the roster the Jets have historically carried 4 in some capacity so why is now carrying 4 any different ? He's obviously been spending money so 2 RB in the later rounds should not surprise anyone since the potential is there and its better than signing an old one dimensional washed up vet for what would amount to more money.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Get Corley, this guy is the key to the draft if he is as good as people are talking then success but we heard the exact same shi* about Elijah Moore when he was drafted and Douglas track record at wr stinks.

I think, as with Moore, if they try lining Corley up as WR2 and ask him to get open vs press, he will—like Moore—fail spectacularly. But, if they use him somewhat creatively out of the slot and the backfield, on specials and as a kick returner, he’ll give you good ROI. Moore’s biggest problem is that he thinks he’s a WR1 and should only do WR1 stuff, but he’s a midget with no vertical element to his game, which is why he’s WR4 in Cleveland right now

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think, as with Moore, if they try lining Corley up as WR2 and ask him to get open vs press, he will—like Moore—fail spectacularly. But, if they use him somewhat creatively out of the slot and the backfield, on specials and as a kick returner, he’ll give you good ROI. Moore’s biggest problem is that he thinks he’s a WR1 and should only do WR1 stuff, but he’s a midget with no vertical element to his game, which is why he’s WR4 in Cleveland right now

2a7f8820-664d-11ee-bfb3-6c23c2e41705

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

1 top 10 pick with colossal fails with mims and moore.  He also signed lazard to a fat 4 year deal.  He refuses to draft a 2nd wr in his drafts despite many of them being there in the mid rounds far better than dogs like lazard ad udfa like gipson and Browlee.

Dogulas is fine with his no brainer 1st round picks.  No so good from rounds 3 onward and that is how you build an entire team.

Mims was a fail but not expected by anyone. Moore was not a fail on the pick per se just turned out to be a complete dick and sometimes thats hard to predict however at the time of the pick all I could think of was Moore acting like a dog taking a piss in his opponents end zone which showed a total lack of class and should have been a red flag to Douglass.

Lazard is another player no one expected to just mail it in 90 % of the folks here were crying for him as a FA pick up but maybe the Rodgers thing effected him in more of a negative way than we think. While I find that kind of stuff to be weak minded some people can't deal with it so thats as unpredictable as the injury itself.  Douglas knows how to build a roster, make trades and get the better end of the transaction and he knows how to handle the salary cap. Im not going to judge him in any respect because hes the first GM we have had in many many years who could do well in all three aspects I just mentioned so Im not gonna grade him I'm just going to wait and see how it all plays out.

Keep In mind We run a RB by Committee ... Having 3 guys battle for the back up is a good thing and make no mistake on 3rd and 1's and 4th and ones I don't care how much of a Bruiser Allen is Breece Hall will be getting most of the relevant Carries.

Keep in mind the Jets keep a lot of D backs and we will be drafting and developing them every single year 2 two late rounders should surprise no one and if it did youre just not paying attention 

The first 2 picks Olu and Corley filled the obvious need they tried to trade up for Odunze and had no takers which meant they took the best player available that could help the team now with very inportant depth same as the type depth Douglas got fleeced for last year for not getting a back up QB . Smith gets injured and we have a guy thats not ready everyone here would have been ready top pounce with their hindsight bullsh*t.

Other picks  could have filled holes in ST or Developmental areas This team is Built to win now and late picks are used in many different ways for many different reasons .

This is not so much of a grade as it is an expalnation of how I think JD looked at this draft.  I don't see many crying about how MC II and Tony Adams play and they were developed pretty nicely 

20 hours ago, PepPep said:

I give it a B+. 

-Olu was a great pick.

-Corley was a solid pick but lets see what caliber of player he develops into. This was a draft where JD needed to walk away with a stud WR because of the depth at the position. Let's see if Corley ends up being a true playmaker/weapon or just a contributor/depth piece.

-We drafted two RBs, a CB and a QB the rest of the way. With Key-S as MR. Irrelevant.

It's unfortunate that Izzy seems to be on the outs. I like both RBs but using two 5th round draft picks on #2 and #3 guys is hard to swallow. At least one of the guys he took, Allen,  happened to be one of my favorite RBs in the draft.  

Stiggers is fine but were addressing a strength on the team. Some are suggesting we will move him to Safety. Maybe. But I doubt it. This is a CB pick. This is a developmental pick for when our secondary starts hitting FA and we can't keep everyone, which is soon. And for the record, I like this prospect. But not representative of an 'all in' mentality. IMO. 

I have mixed feelings on Travis. I don't mind that the Jets took a QB in Rd. 5. In fact, I love it. And JD pretty much told everyone he was going to do it. But when I think of a developmental QB in the later rounds I look for a prospect with top end measurables where everything else might need work. Joe Milton is a better example of that. Jordan Travis is not that. Doesn't have the strongest arm, far from elite size, but has great intangibles. He is definitely the better QB to have if both Rodgers and Taylor go down, but probably not the best QB to plan to develop in the next 2-3 years. Again, as much as I like the prospect. Given that JD passed on Rattler, Pratt, Slovis, Reed, etc. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he did his due diligence and really wanted this kid. 

Mr. Irrelevant is just that. JD could have taken just about anyone and I would have no qualms. 

-We did not add a S (maybe unfair but I'm not counting Key). This only bothers me because there were so many quality prospects in the 4th and 5th round. Instead we traded down and addressed other positions. 

-We only took one O-lineman. I am assuming JD will sign more O-line depth in FA? I dunno. But I was hoping for at least a G/T or C/G at some point in this draft to compete with the interior depth we currently have. Unlike what some have suggested - Olu will not be playing Guard! 

-We only took one WR in this loaded class. Disclaimer: Our WR depth is solid so we don't have a ton of room for rookies. But JD had to get it right at WR. I felt like if he did not take one at 10/11, he should strongly consider double dipping to at least hit on one. I've already mentioned this above when talking about Corley. 

Overall:

The Jets offense will pound you into submission, methodically moving the chains and their defense will keep you to under 20 points a game. At least that appears to be the plan. And this draft fortified a lot of depth to make sure they can execute that gameplan. They addressed the most critical needs at the top of the draft with Olu and Corley. And both players serve as potential future pieces once Rodgers is no longer with the team. The few criticisms above is what keeps this from an A or A+ draft. 

Fair analysis, but I would question the notion that being all in means drafting for need after the third round. Only a small percentage of prospects selected after even the second round don't make it in the NFL. The vast majority of GM's are drafting BPA in these rounds for a reason... they are looking for the guys who will stick in any fashion, even if they become trade bait down the road.