Will The Jets Defense Miss JFM?

Will The Jets Defense Miss JFM?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Jets Defense Miss JFM?

• Yes - JFM was an important piece to the Jets success and they will take a step back.
    • No - They have plenty of talent on the DL and won't miss him.

I'd side with the "they won't really miss him" camp. Not that he's not a solid player but I think he's a supporting player rather than the straw that stirs the drink.

If Quinnen, JJ, and Reddick are healthy I think we'll see other role players step up. Hopefully McDonald has a pulse and Kinlaw turns out to be a steal.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Put your name on it before the claims of "it was obvious to anyone with a brain" statements later in the season one way or another.

I think he will be missed, but you could not pay him what he was scheduled to make.  He's not a $16 mil a year player.  With the money saved they can sign a vet and still have money left over.   Little surprised that the Jets weren't willing to pay him what the Broncos ended up signing him to on that new contract though. 

• Upvote 3

I'm sort of in the middle on this one - I think JFM is a good player and will be missed but I also generally trust this regime with their defensive personnel moves. If they think they can adequately replace him, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Not as much as they will Bryce Huff. 

Reddick is a better player than Huff, Clemons is not a better player than JFM.

I understand your point, but its time for Clemons to put down the props and play better.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'll miss those wincing mind numbing needless roughing the passer penalities on 3rd and 18 in a close game

To some  degree, the Jets have actually been decent at identifying and developing DL talent.

Remember this guy?  He had a brutal roughing the passer or offside or something that cost us a game.

He just got a ring with the Chiefs 🫠

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PennMi00.htm

4 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Reddick is a better player than Huff, Clemons is not a better player than JFM.

I understand your point, but its time for Clemons to put down the props and play better.

Not sure. I felt like McDonlad was replacing Huff and Reddick was replacing JFM. Clemons needs to show something this year. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Put your name on it before the claims of "it was obvious to anyone with a brain" statements later in the season one way or another.

Will get even more confirmation as we see how Denver defense plays with JFM getting 70-80% of snaps. Won't have the luxury of playing in the Saleh Country Club & Spa

JETS

image.thumb.png.31abfad165c876e1415efe7b86c32a23.png

Denver

image.thumb.png.2768d86ae2fb6c7ee4f2f05018a204ee.png

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Not sure. I felt like McDonlad was replacing Huff and Reddick was replacing JFM. Clemons needs to show something this year. 

Hopefully they focus on him being a just DE instead of a DE/DT hybrid. He had a sophomore slump, and I can’t help but to think it had something to do with the weight he put on to play inside. 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Reddick is quietly in the Miles Garrett / TJ Watt verse.  For real.  He's that good.  Only Garrett has more double digit sack seasons in a row.  Only TJ Watt and Garrett have more sacks since they all arrived in the same draft in '17.  And only Garrett, has more strip sacks.  

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

I think he will be missed, but you could not pay him what he was scheduled to make.  He's not a $16 mil a year player.  With the money saved they can sign a vet and still have money left over.   Little surprised that the Jets weren't willing to pay him what the Broncos ended up signing him to on that new contract though. 

I can't speak for JD, but my guess is that we did offer him that much money (post pay cut). In fact, I'd be willing to bet we offered him more money. 

I'd guess it's a combination of the decreased playing time and perceived disrespect on asking for a pay cut on the deal JD OFFERED him. JFM knew the writing was on the wall but said "screw yall". I'm disappointed he didn't want to continue being part of the Jets, but similar to Huff I'm not sure anything would have kept him around by the time of the trade.

Maybe if we promised the same play time, just a pay cut, but with Reddick (and Kinlaw) coming I assume we wouldn't commit to that. 

• Upvote 1

They’ll miss him but not significantly.

He was good at setting the Edge but lacked the impact run stuffs we saw from JJ.  

His pressure rate as a pass rusher from the Edge was slightly above average last year while his pressure rate from the inside went way down.  That said, he wasn’t able to finish sacks, seemed to disappear for long stretches, didn’t cause turnovers and didn’t contribute by knocking down passes.  I believe JJ had 7 passes defenses for comparison. 

The Jets likely feel really good about upgrading pass rushing impact from the Edge with McDonald while seeing little loss setting the Edge with Clemons.

JFM failed to contribute much last year from the inside so that inside / outside flexibility gets thrown out the window.

My biggest DL concern remains stopping the run up the gut, which was not something the Jets relied on JFM to do.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I think there is value in what he does, having a DE who specializes in stopping the run, but I feel like those guys should be easier to find.  You should be able to bring in a kid on a rookie deal to fill that role.  I think they brought in a couple of DE's who match his build as UDFAs.  Looking forward to seeing if any of them stick.

2 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I think there is value in what he does, having a DE who specializes in stopping the run, but I feel like those guys should be easier to find.  You should be able to bring in a kid on a rookie deal to fill that role.  I think they brought in a couple of DE's who match his build as UDFAs.  Looking forward to seeing if any of them stick.

Rookie Clemons had a much better run score / run stopping rate than JFM last year.

41 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Reddick is quietly in the Miles Garrett / TJ Watt verse.  For real.  He's that good.  Only Garrett has more double digit sack seasons in a row.  Only TJ Watt and Reddick have more sacks since they all arrived in the same draft in '17.  And only Garrett, has more strip sacks.  

I don’t think people understand how much of an upgrade to the starting lineup it is to replace JFM with Reddick on the outside. I think where he’ll be missed is when they moved him inside on obvious passing downs. It’ll be up to the DTs to pick up that slack. McDonald vs. Huff is the one that interests me. I feel pretty good about McDonald. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetpain said:

I read that he was told he was going to be receiving less playing time with Reddick onboard, so he was probably more willing to take that deal from the Broncos than if the Jets made the same offer.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t think people understand how much of an upgrade to the starting lineup it is to replace JFM with Reddick on the outside. I think where he’ll be missed is when they moved him inside on obvious passing downs. It’ll be up to the DTs to pick up that slack. McDonald vs. Huff is the one that interests me. I feel pretty good about McDonald. 

Just an FYI but I recall reading JFM’s pressure rate from the inside last year was below average.  Went way down.

I’ll see if I can find it unless someone else has it.