For Crying Out Loud, It's the Offense

When is the last time the Jets offense has carried this team? 2015? Even then the Jets defense was stout led by the ferocious Sons of Anarchy pass rush.

So everyone’s bitching about the defensive performance last night? Fair enough but wtf about that pathetic offensive output? Seven points heading in to half time - wow, great job Aaron & can’t Hackett!

Rodgers & Hackett seemingly rolled out a scheme I feared they would. Unimaginative, vanilla fear ball. Leading to constant 2nd & 3rd longs - as usual with this putrid offense under Saleh.

Where was the creativity, the aggression? Where was any semblance of attacking verticality until it was too late? You have Aaron f—cking Rodgers yet you keep him on a leash?

Niners scored on 8 straight drives? How about the offense keep up with them? If not score for score, then enough scoring to keep the game within legitimate striking distance entering the 4th quarter?

For crying out loud, overrated as it is Jets defense has absolutely carried this team the past two seasons. The Jets would have like 6ish wins total during that span if not for the defense.

No, last night’s shellacking was very much an on the offense, too. In an offensive league that unit more than any other will determine the Jets’ fate as a whole. It’s only one week, but because the offense has been so awful they don’t get the benefit of the doubt. Light up the scoreboard, average 27ish ppg, and put up or shut up beginning Sunday.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 7
  • WTF? 4
  • More Ugh 1

Who cares what happened in previous years. Of course the defense carried the offense for years when Zach Wilson or any of the other scrubs gave this team last in league QB play. This is 2024 and for this one game while the offense and Rodgers were a bit rusty the defense was really bad allowing the 49ers to score on 8 straight possessions and ran it down their throat. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

When is the last time the Jets offense has carried this team? 2015? Even then the Jets defense was stout led by the ferocious Sons of Anarchy pass rush.
So everyone’s bitching about the defensive performance last night? Fair enough but wtf about that pathetic offensive output? Seven points heading in to half time - wow, great job Aaron & can’t Hackett!
Rodgers & Hackett seemingly rolled out a scheme I feared they would. Unimaginative, vanilla fear ball. Leading to constant 2nd & 3rd longs - as usual with this putrid offense under Saleh.
Where was the creativity, the aggression? Where was any semblance of attacking verticality until it was too late? You have Aaron f—cking Rodgers yet you keep him on a leash?
Niners scored on 8 straight drives? How about the offense keep up with them? If not score for score, then enough scoring to keep the game within legitimate striking distance entering the 4th quarter?
For crying out loud, overrated as it is Jets defense has absolutely carried this team the past two seasons. The Jets would have like 6ish wins total during that span if not for the defense.
No, last night’s shellacking was very much an on the offense, too. In an offensive league that unit more than any other will determine the Jets’ fate as a whole. It’s only one week, but because the offense has been so awful they don’t get the benefit of the doubt. Light up the scoreboard, average 27ish ppg, and put up or shut up beginning Sunday.

They didn’t have the ball.
This was squarely on the Defense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

They didn’t have the ball.
This was squarely on the Defense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The jets had 5 drives not including the last one with seconds left.  They scored on 1 drive . Worse, in those 5 drives, they only got a first down on one - the touchdown drive. So 4 out of 5 drives went 3 and out.  If they had scored on another drive that game is much closer at the half. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

The entire team was disappointing but I just don’t understand the over reactions.   Let’s see how they look in a few weeks before freaking out.  It’s a long season and we’re not eliminated from anything yet. 

There’s still plenty of time to burn the world down. 

• Sympathy 1

no one wants to hear the if game and I get it but the first 3 drives could have produced points  - lazard's drop is a first down and then who knows.

Breece putting the ball on the ground.

The first TD drive was a thing of beauty.

Tons of room for improvement and probably tons of reasons - but the potential is there 

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

No one played in preseason and this was treated as a preseason game. 

Rodgers’ interview before the game pretty much confirmed that the Jets did not expect to win this game.

I do think the preseason stuff is a little overstated though. This offence would have taken time to gel regardless - A few series’ wouldn’t have hurt but I guess the Rodger injury had them spooked.

• Upvote 2

Defense allowed 8 consecutive scoring drives. As per Cimini, that hasn't happened to the Jets in 45 years. Niners only punted once. Could not get off the field on 3rd down. Niners ran and passed and did pretty much anything they wanted. 180 yards rushing seemed kinda low if you watched it. Could have been a lot worse but Niners called off the dogs in the 4th up practically 3 scores. 

Rodgers looked good at times. This offense when it doesn't shoot itself in the foot (drops, fumbles) is going to be fine They were facing a very good and smartly coached defense. Jets defense, not so much. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Rodgers’ interview before the game pretty much confirmed that the Jets did not expect to win this game.

I do think the preseason stuff is a little overstated though. This offence would have taken time to gel regardless - A few series’ wouldn’t have hurt but I guess the Rodger injury had them spooked.

It’s the entire operation. They don’t take training camp seriously. They’ll gaslight you with the 10 extra reps they took each practice, but guys were getting days off left and right etc. it’s not a surprise they couldn’t block or tackle on Monday.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Playing starters in the preseason has become a no win situation.  If someone goes down you’re killed.  Come out flat and you’re killed.  

If I was the coach and had the injury history of this team, I would sit my starters too.  

I think sitting your starters is the way most teams do things nowadays.  But that doesn't mean you can't get your team prepared.  Kyle Shanahan's team was also playing a week 1 game and they looked "pretty good" to me.

Robert Saleh is overmatched.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s the entire operation. They don’t take training camp seriously. They’ll gaslight you with the 10 extra reps they took each practice, but guys were getting days off left and right etc. it’s not a surprise they couldn’t block or tackle on Monday.

Saleh and Hackett are very focussed on having fun.  Practicing blocking and tackling not fun.

To Summarize how JD/Saleh looked after Game 1.:There are 16 more games, but that does not mean that we can’t grade JD/Saleh anyway.

JD-overall not consistent with being extended. 

• Draft-none of his picks played, including Corley.  That is two years in a row with draft picks who generally don’t add much.
  • Offensive Line-it looked ok.
  • WR-Lazard looked better.  Williams not much.  
  • Defensive Line-all of the moves collectively appeared to flop. 
  • Safety-supposedly Ashtyn looked awful.  

Saleh-overall really not consistent with being extended.

• Offense-still not together and no running game.
  • Defense-unprepared.
  • Tackling-horrible.
  • Adjustments-none.  

Based on all of the moves done to date and the hype, this 2024 Jets team should be competitive or dominate the “middle” of the NFL.   Even last year we were competitive against the Bills, Eagles, Chiefs.   The next 4 weeks will be telling.  At this point, and it is early, it does not look good for the current regime.  

this loss is squarely on saleh and his defense.  not so much the defensive players, but if there is one team/coach who saleh should know all about, it's shanahan and the niners.  both saleh and ulbrich spent time there.  saleh had to have known how the niners were going to play offense.  maybe he was blinded because mccafery was out but still, if the defense is vulnerable to a particular style of play you make adjustments.  they did adjust against the run in the second half but it was too late and there we too many wide open catches by the niner receivers.  i supose in some way you blame part of it on trading jfm and not signing reddick but the players still should have done better.  they need to stop chirping and start playing.

• Upvote 2

I think the miscues coupled w/ Hall looking slow, clunky and ineffective made the offense look worse than it actually was but obviously, this offense hasnt played together at all, so it's going to take some time and I assume everyone in the building knew that coming into that contest.  3 new OL, AVT coming back, new RB's behind Hall, new QB's, new WR's who didnt see the field, lol ...even if they played every preseason snap, there would still be a ramp up expectation during the season because it's a totally different ball game.  The discouraging part is I think the assumption was the defense was good enough to keep them in games while the offense works through the kinks.

I know everyone is searching for answers, but sometimes in this league it's really as simple as, that was an impossible match up for the Jets to start the season.  49ers are damn near returning everyone and have been playing together at the highest level for years.  The Jets are breaking in 4 new starters on offense and 4 on defense.  Factor in west coast trip, prime time game...it was far from an ideal way to knock of the rust and get a victory.  Of the performances/losses around the league, I don think the Jets was all too concerning.  I expect the defense to bounce back significantly and the offense to continue to improve week by week. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I think the miscues coupled w/ Hall looking slow, clunky and ineffective made the offense look worse than it actually was but obviously, this offense hasnt played together at all, so it's going to take some time and I assume everyone in the building knew that coming into that contest.  3 new OL, AVT coming back, new RB's behind Hall, new QB's, new WR's who didnt see the field, lol ...even if they played every preseason snap, there would still be a ramp up expectation during the season because it's a totally different ball game.  The discouraging part is I think the assumption was the defense was good enough to keep them in games while the offense works through the kinks.

I know everyone is searching for answers, but sometimes in this league it's really as simple as, that was an impossible match up for the Jets to start the season.  49ers are damn near returning everyone and have been playing together at the highest level for years.  The Jets are breaking in 4 new starters on offense and 4 on defense.  Factor in west coast trip, prime time game...it was far from an ideal way to knock of the rust and get a victory.  Of the performances/losses around the league, I don think the Jets was all too concerning.  I expect the defense to bounce back significantly and the offense to continue to improve week by week. 

Yep, Tackles somebody you bums!"

3 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I get it but at the same time, there’s always an excuse with this regime.  Pick one - wilson, rodgers rust or injury, preseason, too many new faces, SF’s continuity, breece’s injury, becton, avt’s injury, new OC, etc.  sure this game was going to be tough.  But we’re all tired of watching the failure with this group, tired of listening to the bragging w/o the results, tired of watching the offense go 3 and out (4 of 5 drives in the first half were 3 and outs).  We’re all tired of the offense not scoring - they got into double digits with 1:39 left in the 3rd quarter.  0-1 isn’t terrible, but with games vs tenn, NE, denver and minny, this team can’t emerge with only 1 or 2 wins and say we’re good.  

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not excusing the offense at all bc they didn't look good... but they barely had the ball.

We got beat they way we need to be attacking teams.

Part of why they "barely had the ball" was their own inability to do anything with it when they had it.

Drive #1:  3 and Out
Drive #2:  1 play, Lost Fumble
Drive #3:  12 play, 70 Yard Drive, Rushing TD.  
Drive #4:  3 and Out
Drive #5:  3 and Out
Drive #6:  Kneeldown with 4 second Left to end Half
Drive #7:  3 plays, Interception
Drive #8:  5 play, 70 Yard Drive, Passing TD (only took less than 2 min. off the clock)
Drive #9:  6 plays, 26 yard drive, failed 4th down turnover on downs at midfield.
Drive #10:  12 play, 70 Yard Drive, Passing TD by Tyrod Taylor in late trash time.

6 out of 10 possessions were either 3 and outs or a turnover in 3 or less plays.  That's not on the Defense.

Over the first 7 drives, well into the late 3rd quarter, the Jets Offense had possessed the ball 8 times, and only done anything with it twice, one of which was a VERY short (time-wise) possession.

We had the ball plenty.  We just mostly didn't do anything with it when we had it.  This number of 3 and Outs and Under 3 play turnovers is more of what a Zach Wilson offense looked like, as opposed to anything resembling an Aaron Rodgers led offense.

So like I said above, the Offense was mostly horrible, but it's skating primarily because the Defense was just pathetic, no pass rush, no run stopping, no pass coverage, and no playmakers at all Monday night.  

But be assured, the O has a TON to prove come week 2 vs. Tenn.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

Part of why they "barely had the ball" was their own inability to do anything with it when they had it.

Drive #1:  3 and Out
Drive #2:  1 play, Lost Fumble
Drive #3:  12 play, 65 Yard Drive, Rushing TD.  
Drive #4:  3 and Out
Drive #5:  3 and Out
Drive #6:  Kneeldown with 4 second Left to end Half
Drive #7:  3 plays, Interception
Drive #8:  5 play, 70 Yard Drive, Passing TD (only took less than 2 min. off the clock)
Drive #9:  6 plays, 26 yard drive, failed 4th down turnover on downs at midfield.
Drive #10:  12 play, 70 Yard Drive, Passing TD by Tyrod Taylor in late trash time.

6 out of 10 possessions were either 3 and outs or a turnover in 3 or less plays.  That's not on the Defense.

Over the first 7 drives, well into the late 3rd quarter, the Jets Offense had possessed the ball 8 times, and only done anything with it twice, one of which was a VERY short (time-wise) possession.

We had the ball plenty.  We just mostly didn't do anything with it when we had it.  This number of 3 and Outs and Under 3 play turnovers is more of what a Zach Wilson offense looked like, as opposed to anything resembling an Aaron Rodgers led offense.

So like I said above, the Offense was mostly horrible, but it's skating primarily because the Defense was just pathetic, no pass rush, no run stopping, no pass coverage, and no playmakers at all Monday night.  

But be assured, the O has a TON to prove come week 2 vs. Tenn.

Exactly.  This does not excuse the defense, but in the first half there was only 1 drive that had a first down.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I get it but at the same time, there’s always an excuse with this regime.  Pick one - wilson, rodgers rust or injury, preseason, too many new faces, SF’s continuity, breece’s injury, becton, avt’s injury, new OC, etc.  sure this game was going to be tough.  But we’re all tired of watching the failure with this group, tired of listening to the bragging w/o the results, tired of watching the offense go 3 and out (4 of 5 drives in the first half were 3 and outs).  We’re all tired of the offense not scoring - they got into double digits with 1:39 left in the 3rd quarter.  0-1 isn’t terrible, but with games vs tenn, NE, denver and minny, this team can’t emerge with only 1 or 2 wins and say we’re good.  

I get that some of that feels like excuse making but it's really just reality.  IMO everyone gets a bit of a pass on Week 1.  It's about how you respond.  This team has started 4-3 and 6-2 in the past 2 season and collapsed down the stretch, it would be a welcome change to flip the scrip and start slow but finish hot.  Good thing is, there are 16 more games left to do just that and if not, well, everyone loses their jobs and round and round we go!