Give Your Best Reasons For Optimism In This Thread

1) I do think if our OL can play better we can be a capable offense.  IIRC, Morgan Moses isn't out for that much longer so maybe he can come back and provide a spark.  OL is also a position group that can randomly start to improve (maybe better communication between the players?  Or maybe someone gets replaced and it gives them a spark?)   Our running game has produced nothing the past 2 weeks, which has forced AR8 to throw 96 times.  Obviously that's not a winning formula.

2) If we lose to Buffalo I think there's a chance Saleh gets fired.  If we replace him with Ulbrich I think it's addition by subtraction.  I'm not saying this sarcastically either.  If we had a serious human being as our HC (which I assume Ulbrich is), maybe there would be some accountability for a change? 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

1) I do think if our OL can play better we can be a capable offense.  IIRC, Morgan Moses isn't out for that much longer so maybe he can come back and provide a spark.  OL is also a position group that can randomly start to improve (maybe better communication between the players?  Or maybe someone gets replaced and it gives them a spark?)   Our running game has produced nothing the past 2 weeks, which has forced AR8 to throw 96 times.  Obviously that's not a winning formula.

2) If we lose to Buffalo I think there's a chance Saleh gets fired.  If we replace him with Ulbrich I think it's addition by subtraction.  I'm not saying this sarcastically either.  If we had a serious human being as our HC (which I assume Ulbrich is), maybe there would be some accountability for a change? 

1. The heat death of the universe (also known as the Big Chill or Big Freeze) is a hypothesis on the ultimate fate of the universe, which suggests the universe will evolve to a state of no thermodynamic free energy, and will therefore be unable to sustain processes that increase entropy. Heat death does not imply any particular absolute temperature; it only requires that temperature differences or other processes may no longer be exploited to perform work. In the language of physics, this is when the universe reaches thermodynamic equilibrium.

If the curvature of the universe is hyperbolic or flat, or if dark energy is a positive cosmological constant, the universe will continue expanding forever, and a heat death is expected to occur, with the universe cooling to approach equilibrium at a very low temperature after a long time period.

2. On Friday, 13, 2029, Earth will have a fascinating and intimidating visitor in the form of the "God of Destruction" asteroid Apophis. The asteroid — named after the Egyptian serpent god of chaos and destruction Apep — is so large and will pass within 19,000 miles (30,600 kilometers) of Earth, so close to our planet that it could be visible to the naked eye. New research has suggested that if other much smaller space rocks hit Apophis, the asteroid, which is almost as wide as the Empire State Building is tall, could be redirected, and Earth might not be narrowly missed by it during subsequent passages or in extreme circumstances, even during the 2029 passage.

3.  The closest black hole to Earth that we know of is named V616 Monocerotis. It is also known as A0620-00. This black hole is 6.6 times more massive than our sun. (That means it has a lot of mass, which means it has a really strong gravitational pull — much stronger than even our sun’s gravitational pull.) If Earth gets within about 800,000 kilometers (3.7 light-seconds) of this black hole, it will get pulled apart. 

4. Nuclear warfare, also known as atomic warfare, is a military conflict or prepared political strategy that deploys nuclear weaponry. Nuclear weapons are weapons of mass destruction; in contrast to conventional warfare, nuclear warfare can produce destruction in a much shorter time and can have a long-lasting radiological result. A major nuclear exchange would likely have long-term effects, primarily from the fallout released, and could also lead to secondary effects, such as "nuclear winter", nuclear famine, and societal collapse. A global thermonuclear war with Cold War-era stockpiles, or even with the current smaller stockpiles, may lead to various scenarios including the human extinction.

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 2

I thought long and hard about this with the goal of not repeating any of my optimistic tropes compiled over my 50+ seemingly preordained doomed years of rooting for this team, and this is all I could come up with.

Time, as always, will inevitably pass, and there will come a day when my existence will no longer contribute to the universal consciousness and, at that time (but no sooner), I will no longer be burdened by my fandom of the New York Jets. Moreover, as time continues it’s inevitable march towards oblivion even the New York Jets will become an unknown artifact of a distant past removing the collective burden of a fruitless association with this woebegone pretender of a “professional” sports franchise from all of humanity.

• Haha 1

Looking back, was a folly to think this offense would come roaring out of the gates. They had never even played any preseason snaps together and we expect them to be a well oiled machine.  Maybe they just need time to come together and be the offense we all hoped.  Its all about peaking in December and January.

You could see glimpses of greatness from the offense in the 2nd half in Minny game.  

Defense has been holding up its end of the bargain

• Upvote 1

Jeff Ulbrich is the lowkey gem of this coaching staff, and there may be a few other risers too on defense like Oden, Rutenberg and Whitecotton.

I was originally thinking fire Saleh and promote Riverboat Ron.

But I think I’m also open to the idea of promoting Ulbrich to the big chair to see what he can do while having him continue to call the defensive plays.

Demote Hackett to coffee boy and let Downing run the offense. 

I know none of this will actually happen, but it’s what I would do.

19 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

Looking back, was a folly to think this offense would come roaring out of the gates. They had never even played any preseason snaps together and we expect them to be a well oiled machine.  Maybe they just need time to come together and be the offense we all hoped.  Its all about peaking in December and January.

You could see glimpses of greatness from the offense in the 2nd half in Minny game.  

Defense has been holding up its end of the bargain

Aaron was ripping the football in the first half vs the 9ers and had some beautiful throws vs Tennessee.

I think what we’ve seen the last 2 weeks is a 40y old guy who’s beat up and hobbling around with a bum ankle and multiple other ailments.

If you can’t plant your foot it’s hard to be accurate with the football.

We should be grateful he’s a warrior and kept going last week, literally turning around and refusing to go in the blue tent after seeing we got the ball back.

Have to hope he heals up enough to play better on MNF.

But this offense has to fix its running game or nothing will work.

You can’t average 2.0 YPC or less and expect to move the ball and score points.

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I appreciate your posts. I really do. I'm sorry to do this to you. 

1) We have the worst offensive line coach in the league, probably in the world. 

2) Ulbrich is Saleh 2.0....plus another rookie HC who was a defensive coordinator?

There's no optimism at all

History shows that it’s not how you start, but how you finish….we should know that better than anyone (1986)…..everybody loves them some 5-0 Vikings right now but where will they be come December & January? Yes they look a very strong unit on all sides of the ball right now but I’m not putting my money on them just yet.
Meanwhile if you’re the Jets or Billls(or even Miami) you need to dig in and sometimes you need to fight through a gelling process to get it together as the season progresses, We’ll need to dig out some gritty if messy & ugly wins but if we are still in playoff contention with a month to go then it’s amazing what momentum can do. Suddenly your 5-0 teams are struggling for form and can’t buy a win and that team that was 5-7 is on a roll
There will be a team, I guarantee it 😃, that comes from nowhere and suddenly gets hot at the business end of the season, I’m more inclined to believe it will be Josh Allenand the Bills but you never know, maybe it’s the Jets.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I appreciate your posts. I really do. I'm sorry to do this to you. 

1) We have the worst offensive line coach in the league, probably in the world. 

2) Ulbrich is Saleh 2.0....plus another rookie HC who was a defensive coordinator?

There's no optimism at all

I agree Keith Carter stinks as an OL coach.

I get being concerned that Ulbrich is Saleh 2.0.  Obviously he'd be another HC who is really a DC.  I'm not even a huge Ulbrich fan (I think he's been good but not great) and I'm not saying we should hire him full-time.  I just think that there's at least hope that he'll be more serious and try to hold the players accountable.   In season firings very rarely make a difference though so if Woody/Chris want to ride it out with the Salehsman then so be it.  It's getting to the point where I can't stand his act though and just don't want to have to hear more of his sunshine and rainbows BS.

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Aaron was ripping the football in the first half vs the 9ers and had some beautiful throws vs Tennessee.

I think what we’ve seen the last 2 weeks is a 40y old guy who’s beat up and hobbling around with a bum ankle and multiple other ailments.

If you can’t plant your foot it’s hard to be accurate with the football.

We should be grateful he’s a warrior and kept going last week, literally turning around and refusing to go in the blue tent after seeing we got the ball back.

Have to hope he heals up enough to play better on MNF.

But this offense has to fix its running game or nothing will work.

You can’t average 2.0 YPC or less and expect to move the ball and score points.

I hope they rest him against Buffalo (and for the next couple of games if necessary).  Tyrod is good enough to win games with and we need AR8 in good condition.

There for real is optimism.

For starters we play Monday to be 1st in the division.

Our defense has been elite since the SF game. All phases have been great as a group.

Last we have offensive talent. Most years we just don’t have the talent. Especially at QB or OL. We have the talent. We just have to get the best out of them. And it starts with the OL. Rodgers can’t be Rodgers getting hit 15-20 times a game and no run game to compliment him. Next to no QB can. So it’s starts in the trenches and will get better from there. But as I said it’s not good if talent. The staff has to be better at changing things to get the talent if these groups to work.

The good things are there are still 12 games left, the afce is a mess right now and the only real competition will be the bills, and in the afc as a whole it seems like only the chiefs will be running away with all of the other teams bunched up.

Of course real hope depends on the jets not going behind two scores in the beginning of games and holding leads late.  How they do that is anyones guess.

• Upvote 1

Very few teams have separated themselves from the pack so far - we're still in the "middle bunch" in the AFC (3-2 / 2-3).

We're the only 2-3 or worse team with a positive points differential (+8). Indy (also 2-3) are -3, the other 2-3 teams are -35 and -53. Despite all our shortcomings we're still competitive in games - we had a chance to win it at the death this week despite digging an early 17-0 hole. Against one of the top 2 teams in the league no less.

2 of our 3 losses are vs. NFC teams, so not going to factor into playoff tie-breakers all that much.

Lastly - a lot of the time "it's not them, it's us". There is a LOT of self-inflicted crap that if we could improve on it, we'd start to hopefully win these close games rather than lose them.

The defense is legit 

The offense has played good football at times, they’ve scored multiple TDs in 4/5 games. They led the NFL in third down first three weeks. 

Jets played like crap the last two weeks and still should have been broncos and Vikings. Broncos might have best D in NFL and Vikings looked like SB contenders 

Running game is fixable because of the talent we have. Start by making Allen the 1st/2nd down back until Breece is healthy (I believe he hurt his thigh in the Adams hit). 

1998 jets were 2-3, Manning Broncos were 2-3. The AFC is wide open. We play for first place next week. 

Four significant positives:

1) The division is wide open. It doesn't feel like the Bills are going 13-4 this year. 

2) Despite all of the ineptitude, the Jets are a missed kick and an overthrow to Garrett Wilson from possibly being 4-1. As always, there is a fine line between winning and losing. (Of course, many teams in the league can point to a handful of plays as being the difference between losses and wins)

3) The Jet defense has been excellent for 3 straight weeks. 

4) Garrett Wilson had his best game of the season on Sunday. Maybe that gets him and Aaron going. 

That's all I got. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Four significant positives:

1) The division is wide open. It doesn't feel like the Bills are going 13-4 this year. 

2) Despite all of the ineptitude, the Jets are a missed kick and an overthrow to Garrett Wilson from possibly being 4-1. As always, there is a fine line between winning and losing. (Of course, many teams in the league can point to a handful of plays as being the difference between losses and wins)

3) The Jet defense has been excellent for 3 straight weeks. 

4) Garrett Wilson had his best game of the season on Sunday. Maybe that gets him and Aaron going. 

That's all I got. 

I don’t think many teams can point to five isolated player mistakes that created a 35 point swing. I’m pretty sure ive never seen anything like it in my life.

quincy tripping - 7 

rodgers pick 6 - 7

allen drop - 7

Sauce drop - 7

Wilson miss - 7