Oh, Ed... Fireman Ed accuses Jets of phasing him out: ‘Something was going on’

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

It's an assault on the senses.

And unfortunately, it's every venue, for every sport in America today.

Too many people getting paid salaries to eliminate silence. 

Geesh, so true. Announcers and the musicAl Michael's caused a ruckus when he voiced his displeasure over the So Fi announcers incessant yelling. 

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Fireman Ed claims he's being phased out at Jets games (nypost.com)

My response on the Post Website:

They aren't "phasing out" the chant, Ed. You're just upset that you're not on the screen. The chant has been around since before he was a fan or there were huge video screens in stadiums and will continue to be a thing as long as the fans want to keep doing it. To be honest, Jets fans need to learn WHEN to be loud, when to shut up for the Offense, and the chant should be a naturally occurring thing. From one retired Fireman to another... chill, bro.

I always wondered what the overall opinion of having one fan being anointed a super fan.  

He didn't descend from on high.  You are a cheerleader with a Fireman's helmet.  Relax Feancis.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

They aren't "phasing out" the chant, Ed. You're just upset that you're not on the screen. The chant has been around since before he was a fan or there were huge video screens in stadiums and will continue to be a thing as long as the fans want to keep doing it. To be honest, Jets fans need to learn WHEN to be loud, when to shut up for the Offense, and the chant should be a naturally occurring thing. From one retired Fireman to another... chill, bro.

It should be obvious the Ed has been making money off his Super Fan Celebrity. He is trying to protect that. I know he sounds like a whiney bitch here, but it's understandable 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It should be obvious the Ed has been making money off his Super Fan Celebrity. He is trying to protect that. I know he sounds like a whiney bitch here, but it's understandable 

LOL... How much money do you think he makes for his Jets fan notoriety?  

5 hours ago, jgb said:

To say one positive thing about the post-modern sports stadium experience -- it's never been safer to bring kids to see a game. A lot of that probably has to do with the extreme prices for tickets and alcohol screening out some "rougher" behavior, but it is a positive that you generally don't have to worry about your kid getting hit in the head with a beer bottle these days.

Beer is like $19.50 for a 22 ounce can, and it's warm. It's impossible to get loaded at a game. I go back to Shea/Harry M. Stevens paper cups with lousy tap beer, but it was at least reasonable. Plus pre 9/11 wasn't hard to sneak in a few beers. heck, we even had a system of bringing in a garbage bag, a bag of ice and down  jackets with lots of pockets. 3 guys could get in a 24 case of tins.  Only time anyone got stopped was the ice man 1x @ MSG, and he told security he had a bag of ice because his back hurt; come on in, sir. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Id say chill too. Like your a fan just like me. I like fireman ed. But this dude is mad that "jetman" get screen time. Like relax

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Because the Jets crowd is weak. I went to MetLife for the first time last season. The PA people don't help with the incessant screamingly loud music, sound FX, yelling, whistles, etc. It made the In Stadium experience kind of miserable... the Jets getting crushed by the Chargers didn't help. 

When I used to go to a LOT of games in the 1990's the crowd just... did the chant organically and made noise when needed - and kept quieter when we had the ball. The Post-PSL crowd sucks at rooting for Football and apparently needs a retired Fireman to spell J-E-T-S. LOL

Did you also walk 10 miles to school barefoot? 

oh cmon, the old timers always think they did it better then the last generation. Giants stadium sucked by the way. 

Jets chant was organically grown in the 90s and has outlived itself. Mostly due to poor performance not matching the fan effort and then having it peter out into a pathetic discombobulated whisper. Bam.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Jets chant was organically grown in the 90s and has outlived itself. Mostly due to poor performance not matching the fan effort and then having it peter out into a pathetic discombobulated whisper. Bam.

The J-E-T-S  Jets chant started in the 1970's. In the upper deck of Shea stadium two guys who brought cards with them spelled it out.  They were on opposite sides of the upper deck and everyone chanted it.

• Upvote 3

The J-E-T-S  Jets chant started in the 1970's. In the upper deck of Shea stadium two guys who brought cards with them spelled it out.  They were on opposite sides of the upper deck and everyone chanted it.
never heard it in the 70s at Shea .. I guess it possible... All the games i went to from 85-92 ... It was never organized and lame. Then in the Sanchize era it became corporate fodder e Fireman Ed and is usually off cadence. It's not good Bob. Add to that that other NFL teams have copied it , bastardizing it into their own lame version ... It's outlived it usefulness ... I'd take Seattle or KC noise over it. Which brings me to last Monday night ... I was shocked how quiet the stadium was ... I thought there was something wrong with the sound on my TV .. you could hear a pin drop in that sad ass stadium.

19 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

never heard it in the 70s at Shea .. I guess it possible... All the games i went to from 85-92 ... It was never organized and lame. Then in the Sanchize era it became corporate fodder e Fireman Ed and is usually off cadence. It's not good Bob. Add to that that other NFL teams have copied it , bastardizing it into their own lame version ... It's outlived it usefulness ... I'd take Seattle or KC noise over it. Which brings me to last Monday night ... I was shocked how quiet the stadium was ... I thought there was something wrong with the sound on my TV .. you could hear a pin drop in that sad ass stadium.

In fairness to the fans Monday night.  The 21 penalties killed the flow of the game.  While we’re sitting at home getting bombarded with commercials for drugs, alcohol and gambling the fans in the stands are watching fat guys in uniforms stand around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1