where is corley

from jetxfactor.  apparently they are thinking there are better options ahead of corley so it's hard for him to get it.

Rookie wide receiver Malachi Corley has only played three offensive snaps through the season’s first seven games. The New York Jets’ offensive play caller, Todd Downing, explained why the third-round pick is not seeing the field.

“I was a big fan of Malachi in college and did some work on him, peeking through cross-references with quarterbacks, things like that,” Downing told reporters on Thursday. “He’s a dynamic guy with the ball in his hands. I think he’s maturing and understanding that this game is a profession and that it isn’t like college, where you show up and you’re the best guy on the team, and things always go your way. And I think it’s been great to watch him handle that maturation process by leaning on some veterans and getting some advice from them.”

Downing proceeded to reveal his message to the Western Kentucky product.

“My messaging to him and encouragement to him is to always stay ready because you never know when that opportunity is going to come, but to also know that just because you don’t get a jersey on Sunday doesn’t mean people don’t believe in you,” Downing continued. “There’s an embarrassment of riches in the wide receiver room right now. To not crack the top five or six of that group isn’t a knock on Malachi; it’s a testament to what Joe (Douglas) has done with the group.”

Despite limited playing time, Corley’s development has impressed the coaching staff, and Downing believes his maturity and willingness to learn from veterans will eventually pay off. With a crowded receiver room, Corley’s patience and readiness could make him a key contributor when his opportunity arrives.

11 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Translation - Corley is a bum and another swing and miss by JD. JD is 29-61 as a GM.  Nowhere in real life does a performance like that allow you to keep your job.  

I didn't like the Corley pick and doubt he ever becomes a good NFL WR but it's ridiculous to call him a swing and a miss 7 games into his rookie season.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Translation - Corley is a bum and another swing and miss by JD. JD is 29-61 as a GM.  Nowhere in real life does a performance like that allow you to keep your job.  

Who Douglas loved, and tried to trade up into the 2nd round for.

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I didn't like the Corley pick and doubt he ever becomes a good NFL WR but it's ridiculous to call him a swing and a miss 7 games into his rookie season.

You don't have to be a talent evaluator or a football expert to realize that when a skill position player taken in the top half of the draft can't even get on the field for the first 7 games of the season, there is a lot going on behind the scenes and none of whatever it is is saying that Corley is a viable player. If ANY of that praise that was heaped upon him by the coaches was actually true, they would have found a way to incorporate him into the offense, at least a little bit.  He couldn't beat out Xavier Gipson for a few of his 81 snaps? Or useless Mike Williams' 224 snaps? How about Lazard the drop machine's 388 snaps? Cmon! 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

If this dude can’t get on the field above Gibson he should be cut, Gibson is a borderline unrosterable player

downing yesterday: “he is dynamic with the ball in his hands”

THEN GET THE BALL IN HIS HANDS YOU SHMUCK 

Don't understand how you can watch Gipson make a mess on punts week after week and not give Corley a shot. If Gipson's miscues were part of a package of some great returns, I'd get it. But he's terrible every week, a catastrophic turnover waiting to happen. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

You don't have to be a talent evaluator or a football expert to realize that when a skill position player taken in the top half of the draft can't even get on the field for the first 7 games of the season, there is a lot going on behind the scenes and none of whatever it is saying that Corley is a viable player. If ANY of that praise that was heaped upon him by the coaches was actually true, they would have fund a way to incorporate him into the offense, at least a little bit.  He couldn't beat out Xavier Gipson for a few of his 81 snaps? Or useless Mike Williams' 224 snaps? How about Lazard the drop machine's 388 snaps? Cmon! 

The Jets' problems run way deeper than whether or not Corley is contributing as a rookie.

It is definitely concerning though.

The Packers had a rare bust WR in 3rd rounder Amari Rodgers (Clemson), but even he was able to get on the field as a rookie.

The problem was he fumbled and stumbled all over the place.  Like G5 minus the catches in between 😂

• Upvote 1

At least the jets didn’t listen to me and trade back for this guy woof lol 

I think Corley is some combination of not smart and not hard working. Doesn’t watch film at home etc. the old Johnny manziel Type 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

You don't have to be a talent evaluator or a football expert to realize that when a skill position player taken in the top half of the draft can't even get on the field for the first 7 games of the season, there is a lot going on behind the scenes and none of whatever it is is saying that Corley is a viable player. If ANY of that praise that was heaped upon him by the coaches was actually true, they would have found a way to incorporate him into the offense, at least a little bit.  He couldn't beat out Xavier Gipson for a few of his 81 snaps? Or useless Mike Williams' 224 snaps? How about Lazard the drop machine's 388 snaps? Cmon! 

The NFL has a long history of guys who didn't do anything their rookie years and went on to be very good.

I doubt Corley becomes one of those guys. I just don't see it.

He's a bad fit for this offense as a rookie. His weaknesses coming in are especially bad for playing in an offense where the QB demands precession route running. 

• Upvote 1

I think when the JD Era is studied we will see a large number of his draft picks were the result of someone else telling him who to pick.  He and his scouts really did not do much.

Rodgers wanted Corley picked.  That is why he was picked.  

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

If this dude can’t get on the field above Gibson he should be cut, Gibson is a borderline unrosterable player

downing yesterday: “he is dynamic with the ball in his hands”

THEN GET THE BALL IN HIS HANDS YOU SHMUCK 

This has got to be the biggest joke of a coaching staff. I just don't get it.

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think when the JD Era is studied we will see a large number of his draft picks were the result of someone else telling him who to pick.  He and his scouts really did not do much.

Rodgers wanted Corley picked.  That is why he was picked.  

Rodgers really wanted a guy who can't run routes?

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Rodgers really wanted a guy who can't run routes?

I recall seeing something that said that Rodgers wanted a Deebo type.  

The fact of the matter is that we don't know really what we have because the coaching is so bad.  

This is probably not a complicated answer.

He was running a High School route tree in college.  His head is probably spinning and he is struggling to learn the offense and/or get the timing right.  Maybe he can’t beat press-man yet?

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

from jetxfactor.  apparently they are thinking there are better options ahead of corley so it's hard for him to get it.

Rookie wide receiver Malachi Corley has only played three offensive snaps through the season’s first seven games. The New York Jets’ offensive play caller, Todd Downing, explained why the third-round pick is not seeing the field.

“I was a big fan of Malachi in college and did some work on him, peeking through cross-references with quarterbacks, things like that,” Downing told reporters on Thursday. “He’s a dynamic guy with the ball in his hands. I think he’s maturing and understanding that this game is a profession and that it isn’t like college, where you show up and you’re the best guy on the team, and things always go your way. And I think it’s been great to watch him handle that maturation process by leaning on some veterans and getting some advice from them.”

Downing proceeded to reveal his message to the Western Kentucky product.

“My messaging to him and encouragement to him is to always stay ready because you never know when that opportunity is going to come, but to also know that just because you don’t get a jersey on Sunday doesn’t mean people don’t believe in you,” Downing continued. “There’s an embarrassment of riches in the wide receiver room right now. To not crack the top five or six of that group isn’t a knock on Malachi; it’s a testament to what Joe (Douglas) has done with the group.”

Despite limited playing time, Corley’s development has impressed the coaching staff, and Downing believes his maturity and willingness to learn from veterans will eventually pay off. With a crowded receiver room, Corley’s patience and readiness could make him a key contributor when his opportunity arrives.

On the bench, "no matter what".

Corley had the inside track on Gipson's active spot. Didn't Rodgers have Corley move in with him this summer?

So at least this season... he either sucks and will never be good (just a bust), isn't grasping things conceptually that Gipson's grasping, has an effort issue (don't know that it's so; just leaving that as another possibility) -- or it's more than one of these reasons.

Doesn't matter which of these it is, because the result is what matters and that result is behind the scenes he's apparently shown himself to be unusable for at least the first half of his rookie season, and that was before the addition of Adams last week makes his active-roster appearance that much less necessary.

With or without Adams, jfc he ought to be able to beat out a butterfingers UDFA. Also in terms of roster management, if the team's really thinking Wilson really is a potential trade candidate, Corley's not doing anything to give the team the confidence to move on from anyone else.

Just crossing my fingers he's a slow learner.

• Upvote 1

He was the receiver I wanted least in the draft.

Running into defenders in the Pros is what they want.

They don't have to get to him to make a tackle, he offers himself on a platter.

IT's a good way of getting hurt. Receivers or RBs should find their blockers

and use them. Corley has zero elusiveness.  Though I don't care for his style,

I've listened to him interviewed and he is not stupid.  I feel that coaching

Breece Hall to finish his runs diminishes the potential of the best athlete

on the team. With his eyes and cutting ability and speed he has the ability

to be a super charged Levon Bell who was the best back in the league in his

early Steeler days