I have to put my 2 year old dog down tomorrow...

HessStation

And I'm losing my freaking mind. The dog got lyme disease a year ago, got the shots and everything but his kidneys are now failing. He was at the vet all last week running tests. We brought him home Saturday morning knowing we'd have to bring him back tomorrow to be put down. I seriously can't remember being this sad. My kids kind of know whats going on but this is going to suck in so many ways tomorrow. Everyone loves this dog. And the worst part is I feel like he knows when he looks at me. God this sucks. Sorry for being a downer of a thread.

I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family. I remember what it was like when we had to put my mom's dog down, its definitely so tough. People can say what they want, but they really are like a part of the family.

Seriously is the truth. I sorta can't believe I would even start a thread about it, but I'm like really ****ing depressed. What's even crazier is I really didn't even realize I liked the damn thing so much. Plus the fact that we have to bring him back for the weekend knowing he's being put down tomorrow. It's way too overdramatic and freaking gutwrenching imo. It's been like drawn out all weekend. He can't eat, can barely walk. He can just lay there, ya know. He's only 2 too.

Alright, again, sorry, I think I needed an outlet to complain...

And I'm losing my freaking mind. The dog got lyme disease a year ago, got the shots and everything but his kidneys are now failing. He was at the vet all last week running tests. We brought him home Saturday morning knowing we'd have to bring him back tomorrow to be put down. I seriously can't remember being this sad. My kids kind of know whats going on but this is going to suck in so many ways tomorrow. Everyone loves this dog. And the worst part is I feel like he knows when he looks at me. God this sucks. Sorry for being a downer of a thread.

Had the same thing happened to me. Better now than 13 years from now like in my case.

Hess, so sorry to hear about your dog. That sucks.

i have lyme disease....le tme ask a question. did the vet just give him like one set of shot and that was it or was he on medication this whole time? i ask because they don't even treat humans correctly when it comes to lyme disease. it's a long story but basically i had to find a special doctor who specialize sin treating lyme disease to get get the appropriate treatments. because my original doctor said 10 days of antibiotics was enough and that i was cured.....when i clearly wasn't and i got much worse due to lack of proper treatment. so i was just wondering what sort of treatments they would give a dog. unfortunately the idsa has decided that they think a short course of antibiotics is all you need to treat lyme and it's so untrue. although it can be true if you'r eone of the lucky ones who gets the rash and catches it very early. lyme disease is most likely a gov't created disease.......made over in plum island as part of biological weapon research. which is why the disease first appeared in young children in lyme connecticut in the late 70's early 80's.....right across from plum island. it's a very smart little bug....capable of changing forms to avoid being killed off, and then reverting back to it's primary form when conditions are less hostile to it (like after a short course of antibiotics is gone form your system). i've had this crap for a few years i think....but just finally figured it out about a year ago....since i found this doctor (who is not covered by my insurance because lyme is't recognized as needing a special doctor and the longer term treatments are not covered since the idsa is in the insurance co's pockets) i' am just now finally starting to feel better. but i still have a ways to go. sry to hear about your dog.....lyme disease is a real bitch. just make sure when you and your family go into the woods you are well protected from those bastard ticks. i pretty much lived in the woods my whole life....and since a big deal was never really made about lyme disease i never thought to much of it. but this is lyme disease ground zero.....it's been found that more than half of ticks studied have the disease. i wish i had known how sick i could get and for how long and how difficult it was going to be to get proper treatment. and fyi, it's not only the tiny deer ticks that can give it to you......and no more than half of people who get infected will get the rash. which is what happened in my case ....and i didn't realize something was wrong until i started to get pretty sick from it....which can take anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years and by that time the bug is deeply imbedded in your body. and moral of the story is...please make sure all yo ugusy protect yourselves when you're chilling in the woods....i wouldn't want to see any of you have to be sick like i've been.

Sorry to hear pal.

One of the toughest things to do in life.

Heart goes out to you and the family.

Really sorry to hear to this. It' really difficult losing a pet, as i consider them a piece of my family. I lost my dog 1 year ago, when my girlfriend took him for a walk at night and he got ahold of a posinous frog. This has happened before and fortunatley i know how to take care of the problem. I was not home that night and my girlfriend knows to clean his mouth out but didn't know the proper way. She sprayed the hose nozzle directly into his mouth which forced him to swallow the poisons and he died about 10 minutes later. It was horrible.

Really Sorry to hear this Hess :( . My dogs are my Family since my wife and I dont have kids and its really tough but time heals all wounds. After a few months go resuse a good dog from a shelter its a great feeling to save one of those guys.

First off thanks to everyone. It is truly appreciated.

So the vet told me to give him two sedatives an hour before bringing him in to put him down.

First off, he wouldn't eat anything so I had to basically push the pills down his throught which was awful. Low and behold 10 minutes before bringing him in he kind of tried to get up to get closer to me on the floor. So I put him on the couch, where he was never allowed to go, and within about 2 minutes he passed. I unfortunately got up to check my phone but my wife was sitting with him and petting him. I picked him up and brought him in to the vet gave him a kiss and left.

I basically cried like a bitch the entire morning. It was truly awful. So we broke it to the kids at friendly's just now. Thankfully they seem to understand and are happy he's in "doggy heaven." I told them he was happy and licked my face before he passed. They liked that.

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind words. In retrospect it was nice he got to die at the house in a nice spot so I can thank God for that.

Thanks again everyone.

RIP Odie.

So the vet told me to give him two sedatives an hour before bringing him in to put him down.

First off, he wouldn't eat anything so I had to basically push the pills down his throught which was awful. Low and behold 10 minutes before bringing him in he kind of tried to get up to get closer to me on the floor. So I put him on the couch, where he was never allowed to go, and within about 2 minutes he passed. I unfortunately got up to check my phone but my wife was sitting with him and petting him. I picked him up and brought him in to the vet gave him a kiss and left.

I basically cried like a bitch the entire morning. It was truly awful. So we broke it to the kids at friendly's just now. Thankfully they seem to understand and are happy he's in "doggy heaven." I told them he was happy and licked my face before he passed. They liked that.

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind words. In retrospect it was nice he got to die at the house in a nice spot so I can thank God for that.

Thanks again everyone.

RIP Odie.

So sorry for your loss Hess. Truly.

Thanks again everyone.

RIP Odie.

Sorry, Hess. I had a cat a couple years back that I didn't even like that much, yet when he had to be put down, I felt awful. Cried and everything.

Hope you feel better.

Thanks again everyone.

RIP Odie.

This is what is amazing about the bond between dogs and their owners.

No shame in crying over losing a friend... and no better way to break the news to the kids than with a "Conehead" Sunday. :D

This is what is amazing about the bond between dogs and their owners.

No shame in crying over losing a friend... and no better way to break the news to the kids than with a "Conehead" Sunday. :D

Nice move breaking it to them at Friendly's. You could have told me anything when I was a kid and as long as you did it while putting a sundae from Friendly's in front of me I probably wouldn't have cared.

LOL, it really did worked like a charm. :)

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks again everyone.

RIP Odie.

I'm sorry man. I feel you -- had to put down my dog last spring for a rare skin disease. Glad to hear he went easy and happy

ohh man that's horrible. My dog is almost 11 and he was just diagnosed with Lymes as well. He's gotta start a proactive strong dose of meds, but he should be ok thank goodness. I'm so sorry about your loss. I know how it feels, especially with kids involved and having to explain it.

That's a tough one Hess, I'm very sorry to hear that. I've had a few dogs in my lifetime, but we had to put down one after a short battle with prostate cancer (yes, dogs can get that) about 5 years ago and it still bothers me a little to this day. We had him cremated and his ashes put into a little wooden box. Nailed his doggy tag to the box and it's still in my house.

That is a tough one.

Archived