How are we feeling?

Maxman

I don't think we've seen much from Bowles yet on defense. The Enunwa for Amaro swap might be a godsend, Enunwa looks to be a pretty tough SOB which amps up the offenses physicality.

Marshall & Decker are the most "professional" WRs we've had in some time. Both work much harder than Edwards or Holmes. Plus they are the biggest duo in the NFL right now I believe? It's all about our start, if we can get some early wins while the team jells, we could be in for an exciting season when Richardson returns. 

I don't care what anyone says, you put Shel, Mo, Snacks, Leo, Douzable together with our secondary, 3rd & longs are not gonna be fun vs that bunch. The 2nd game vs the Colts will tell us a lot of where we stand. Prime time game for the NY Jets & Todd Bowles to let everyone know if the Jets are pretenders or contenders.

Brandon Marshall is the best Jets WR since Toon. Chris Ivory looks great. Fitz is adequate. Offense should be best since Vinny years.

Nobody will run on our D. Pass rush looks solid. DBs are deep. Coples is underrated. Pryor and Davis scare me. Defense s/b top 10, maybe top 5.

Playoff contenders. Fun year.

My outlook has basically remained the same.  Our win total will be based on
whether we get "clean and efficient" QB play.  If Fitzpatrick remains the
starter we'll be in the 8-10 win range.  If Smith becomes the starter we'll
be in the 6-11 win range.  Fitzpatrick due to his physical limitations has
the "higher floor yet the lower ceiling".  Smith is the wildcard because his
physical skills could get us more wins but his inconsistent mental skills
could make us worse.  Other keys/observations:

- The running game has the chance to be devastating.  The small glimpses we've
seen of the chemistry between the OLine and Ivory has been exciting

- Our big WR's will allow us to create mismatches in the short/intermediate
passing game.  Can our QB be accurate enough to get them the ball and allow
them to create YAC?  As we've seen in the pre-season, safe 5 yard passes can
be turned into 15-20 yard gains by Marshall & Decker

- When the opposition creeps up to stop the run and the intermediate passes
will our QB be able to deliver the ball downfield and make them pay?

- Defensively I know what I'm going to get from the DLine and the CB's.  My
defensive keys revolve around specific players.  Will Davis, Coples and Pryor
finally show up this year or will they be replaced?

I don't think we've seen much from Bowles yet on defense. The Enunwa for Amaro swap might be a godsend, Enunwa looks to be a pretty tough SOB which amps up the offenses physicality.

Marshall & Decker are the most "professional" WRs we've had in some time. Both work much harder than Edwards or Holmes. Plus they are the biggest duo in the NFL right now I believe? It's all about our start, if we can get some early wins while the team jells, we could be in for an exciting season when Richardson returns. 

I don't care what anyone says, you put Shel, Mo, Snacks, Leo, Douzable together with our secondary, 3rd & longs are not gonna be fun vs that bunch. The 2nd game vs the Colts will tell us a lot of where we stand. Prime time game for the NY Jets & Todd Bowles to let everyone know if the Jets are pretenders or contenders.

The start this season is VERY important. Totally agree

I'm feeling the Jets have a pretty darn good shot at beating the Browns week 1 and heading into Monday Night Football against the Colts with confidence. 1 week at a time fellas. 

That week two matchup is going to be very telling.

The Jets are all about the DLine and Secondary. Those are the two things you need to beat a QB like Luck. For whatever reason I never had confidence with Rex's defenses in those situations.

My outlook has basically remained the same.  Our win total will be based on
whether we get "clean and efficient" QB play.  If Fitzpatrick remains the
starter we'll be in the 8-10 win range.  If Smith becomes the starter we'll
be in the 6-11 win range.  Fitzpatrick due to his physical limitations has
the "higher floor yet the lower ceiling".  Smith is the wildcard because his
physical skills could get us more wins but his inconsistent mental skills
could make us worse.  Other keys/observations:

- The running game has the chance to be devastating.  The small glimpses we've
seen of the chemistry between the OLine and Ivory has been exciting

- Our big WR's will allow us to create mismatches in the short/intermediate
passing game.  Can our QB be accurate enough to get them the ball and allow
them to create YAC?  As we've seen in the pre-season, safe 5 yard passes can
be turned into 15-20 yard gains by Marshall & Decker

- When the opposition creeps up to stop the run and the intermediate passes
will our QB be able to deliver the ball downfield and make them pay?

- Defensively I know what I'm going to get from the DLine and the CB's.  My
defensive keys revolve around specific players.  Will Davis, Coples and Pryor
finally show up this year or will they be replaced?

Good post.

The part that I bolded is so important. It is going to be about adjustments. I think Gailey has a good plan of attack for this offense. But how will the adjust when needed?

I am on the same page with the QBs as well. Geno has a lower floor and a higher ceiling. My hope is that Fitz wins a bunch of games early on and Geno has to earn whatever he is given going forwarded. No more handouts to the QB.

In a weird way the best case scenario might be Fitz doing well and then Geno getting a short look after a minor injury. Like Fitz has to miss one game. Geno gets a one game shot to show that he has matured. Just don't want them to hand him anything.

I think the most telling thing is how there is less panic now that Geno is out.

Ok so this season we have Idzik to thank for Decker, Ivory, Richardson, and Enunwa, and not much else but these guys are a solid base.

Next, Mac brought us Marshal, Fitz, and the DBs, Carpenter, and Stacy.  Plus most of his draftees look very solid.  He also brought us Bowles/Gaily.

I’m not worried about our D at all.  We’ve got the horses and the CS.  Enough said

Gaily so far has been everything “they” said he was.  He’s getting the most out of the offense that’s been assembled for him and has been getting more out of the likes of Geno and Enunwa than I expected.

So, what’s not to like?  

We can't ask Fitzy to win games, it has to be a team effort. If Bowles can call defenses that create TOs that may be enough to get out to a good start, so as Devin comes back, guys start getting healthy, Sheldon returns, defense starts getting a little nasty & offense starts punching people in the mouth you just never know.

There are a lot of finesse teams out there & 2 of the best defenses reside right in our division with Miami & Buffalo. I love having a veteran like Fitz vs the Bills, compared to the Bills having a novice QB vs our Jet defense. Stop the run, keep the QB contained & show him all kinds of looks on 3rd down! I love our chances.

Now the wildcard is Miami. Is everyone overrating them again? Geno tore up that secondary & now they lost Dumas for the year. I think Miami matches up better vs the Pats than our Jets. Which is great because we need the Fins & Bills to at least split with the Pats this year. Jets have the best secondary in the division. If the Bills, Pats, Fins have ANY injuries they will be screwed, especially the Pats if they don't get a pass rush.

That week two matchup is going to be very telling.

The Jets are all about the DLine and Secondary. Those are the two things you need to beat a QB like Luck. For whatever reason I never had confidence with Rex's defenses in those situations.

The Colts are still a soft team. Did Tom Brady even throw the ball in that playoff game? The Pats just dominated them at the LOS.

luck is no different than any other QB when you get a lead & CONTROL THE BALL. It gets them out of sync, forces them to trust too much in their arms & leads to TOs. Obviously we won't win a shootout Luck vs Fitz, but if we could get our run game going, Ivory could have a MONSTER GAME like Blount had. It's always the same story, the opposing QB can't do sh*t sitting on his hands on the bench watching. The other true axiom in the NFL is that a stout defense & running game can travel anywhere.

Get a lead, play run the ball & pitch & catch for 1st downs with Decker & Marshall & run the freaking clock out. Now if Luck comes out hot & drops a quick 10 on us rut roh.

I think the division is better from the bottom up and so divisional wins will be hard to come by.  Given the player losses I expected the Patriots to have a down year this year even before the Brady stuff,

The defense will continue to keep us in most games if not all of the games and I expect Fitz will not be turning the ball over so much.  I also expect competent coaching on game day so all of those factors point to an improvement from the Jets.

I am going to cross my fingers and hope for 9 or 10 wins and a potential divisional title but an early exit in the playoffs. 

The one thing I think will be a mortal lock is that the Patriots will not be running away with the division again this year.

Before reading any of the replies I was thinking about this thread earlier today and what does max mean by "How we feeling?" . My sense is one of disconnect, I have no idea what this Jets team will be like, what the coaching staff will be like, how good or bad this team will be. I really have no idea and this is the first time I can say that since the mid-90's in those dark days before the internet and the boards and all the coverage that we have today. Back in those days we'd catch 2, maybe 4 games a years down here on TV and the rest was buying the 2nd day old Daily News and NY Post papers at a south Florida newsstand to read what happened on Tuesday about what happened during Sunday's game.

It's strange I feel like I don't even know who 3/4 of these players even are. A lot of that has to be blamed on the worst GM in this teams long history, the worst drafting of perhaps any team since Mike Ditka's farce with Ricky Williams. We used to always at least get to know the draft classes for a couple of years but the past 2, how many are even going to be on this team?

So yea, that's how I feel disconnected to the 2015 Jets. 

Now after reading all the replies, I can add hopeful to the disconnect, who knows we may just BE that team of destiny, we might get those 2-3 calls that change games in our favor maybe the ball bounces up into our defender's hands and we win another one like that, maybe the 2015 Jets all get healthy after Thanksgiving and go on a 9 game winning streak into the beginning of February. It could happen, hell, I've SEEN it happen, and it actually happened to the Jets and they WON a Super Bowl, they can do it again, you need luck and you need breaks from the crooked officials too. It could be our turn and wouldn't that be wonderful? So yea, I'm saying Super Bowl Champions and I'm the first one to do it so mark it down.

I think how Bowles turns out will have a big bearing on this team. The passing game looks like an instant upgrade over last season, and the defense has to be as good if not better. If Bowles can coach worth a lick he's an instant upgrade over Wrecks and that should be good for a win or two. Hope so, anyway. 

Jimmy has a positive feeling?  I am scared. 

I just watched the game this morning Dom, they look pretty good to me. I'll tell you now, if we can just keep that QB standing up all year, this team is going places-so glad it's not Geno behind center.

Also, does anybody else have a sneaking feeling that a massive dose of karma is heading up towards Foxboro like a blizzard. I'm telling you guys-and those of you who remember how I sometimes get these "feelings"  that come true? Slats? the Revis holdout and my vision...  

I just watched the game this morning Dom, they look pretty good to me. I'll tell you now, if we can just keep that QB standing up all year, this team is going places-so glad it's not Geno behind center. 

Jim there is no reason to make political comments here.....I removed that part, I don't want this thread to go in the wrong direction.

Fitz has been playing mistake free football. We know he isn't going to put a team on his back and win it by himself. But it will be nice to have a QB that doesn't lose the game by himself on a weekly basis.

The Offensive line looks like they are going to be able to run block.

The defense has a lot to prove but there is talent there. Not sure how long it will take for Bowles system to kick in. How long will the learning curve be? That is the biggest question.

But they seem to be building this team in a way where it doesn't matter who drafted you...the best are going to make the team and play.

So the question remains, how are you feeling about this team?

Everything's under control. Situation normal. 

We had a slight QB malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now.

We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you.

How are you?

Everything's under control. Situation normal. 

We had a slight QB malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now.

We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you.

How are you?

I am good thank you for asking.

I am a little upset that we had to go 3 pages before someone asked about me. But thank you for caring WarFish.  :)

After the draft I had high expectations but as we get close to week 1 I realize this teams talent deficit was far worse than I thought. Also lots of bad apples and horrible locker room culture that is going to need time to change I see this team starting out slow. Wouldn't be shocked if we lose to Cleveland. But as this team gels, i think we will get stronger as the season goes on with lots of hope for the future. Anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 as long as no catastrophic injuries occur.

Archived