We Should Make 1 or Two Trades

JohnnyLV

If Marshall or Decker get hurt, do you have confidence in any of the other receivers to be thrust into a starting role? At least with Kerley you know what you're getting in real games. The same can't be said for the rest.

The Jets traded for Zac Stacy just this offseason. Why would they look to move him before Ridley is back (which won't be until the PUP rules says he can come back). Daryl Richardson could be moved though.

I agree the Jets should be looking to trade a CB for something of value. I just don't think you trade the one who can start if something were to happen to one of the starters. McDougle isn't ready for that and a Walls is better than Williams. If Miliner was healthy they could trade him. We'll see what happens. 

We have some viable trading material at CB, WR and RB. We should be on the phone trying to make a trade and get some picks or a TE.

Candidates:

Kerley

Walls

Zac Stacy

Gotta give something to get something, but I wouldn't be offering up Walls or Stacy. They're both solid backups who would be first in line to move into the starting lineup if Revis, Cro, or Ivory got hurt. But Kerley? I'd shop him. He's already the fourth or fifth WR on the team, and that's with Devin Smith unavailable. Only problem there is that his contract makes him less valuable as a trading chip. 

I don't think we should get too cocky in reference to our depth. It was an absolute pleasure to see a preseason game with what looked like professionals that know what they are doing.

judging by last night, it's been a nice progression with this team by Bowles. Looks like the WR coach is doing a whale of a job, doesn't say much for Sanjay Lal.

If the the Jets try and trade anyoneGeno Smith or Dee Milliner have to be the only real value?  

Smith is all but done in NY, IMO, and could be a viable back up somewhere.  Bringing him back into the fold will only hurt the locker room.

Milliner can't stay healthy, and may have some value left for a team in dire need of a CB/Safety.  

Kerley might have late round value, and why give up the depth for a late round pick.  Why would a team give up anything for the other two?   

I still believe Geno could be our best QB, but at the same time I think the controversy when he is ready to return, as well as the real possibility that the play at the position could decline, makes trading him a very viable option right now. You know they're keeping Petty, and honestly I can live with Fitz and Flynn/Johnson right now. I think next year is extremely viable that they look at 1st round quality QB's and Mac will have to prove his mettle to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they don't need to make a trade.  Someone will shake loose. 

@TE?  I'm sure, but if they can get some picks for some of these guys, why not? 

I think they are hampered a bit by the way the regime change went.  Normally you can get some good deals trading with your prior employees - see the fleecing of Mangini.  Unfortunately, Rex is in the division so they are less likely to make a friendly deal.  Idzik seems disgraced and I don't know that the job and reputation he has in Jacksonville would warrant as much as a conditional 7th for a likely cut.

If they trade Kerley and get something valuable in return where it's picks or a player that is a fair return I'd be okay with it. But to flat out release him? I'd be pissed. He's shown more than Enunwa has this preseason in less playing time because of his concussion. 

He did complain, but he was already moved down the depth chart.  That is what he was complaining about.  Owusu and Enunwa were getting reps over him.

No matter what happens it's amazing when a guy goes from your #1 to roster bubble. Speaks well to the talent Mac has onboarded.

The Jets do have a surprising amount of depth - not something we've seen in the past. If they can get something for a guy they're going to cut or feel is expendable I'm all for it. Certainly a lot has changed.

I don't think TE is that big of an issue. I'm a fan of running two tight end packages because you can run or pass pretty effectively from them but it looks like with Gailey as the offensive coordinator the Jets are going to be running a lot of 3 receiver sets with one back. Given the three receivers who seem to be the guys who will be seeing the most time are all big, the Jets should be able to spread the field a little but still run the ball well from those kinds of packages and it should pretty much be the same thing. But it seems like in this system the tight end is mostly a blocker.

I kind of like Enunwa's fit as a third wideout. He's a physical freak so it'll be good to get him some development. Should be able to block corners effectively in the run game to spring Ivory on the perimeter. And with Marshall and Decker more than capable of working all three levels I think Enunwa will be effective as a big target on short routes with the speed to get deep. I imagine he'll catch a deep bomb this season - should be a real threat on playaction.

Most interesting thing to me will be how the back end of that position shakes out. Obviously Smith is making the team and Kerley presumably is as well. Powell and Owusu both showed well in the preseason. Do they try to sneak Powell onto the PS?

Potential trade chips:

Kerley - for anyone looking for a WR (CAR?)
Babin - for anyone looking for a DE (NYG?)
Richardson - for anyone looking for a RB (HOU?)
Walls - for anyone looking for CB depth

And I'm hoping Maccagnan puts in a call to Brandon Fields because I just don't trust Quigley

Most interesting thing to me will be how the back end of that position shakes out. Obviously Smith is making the team and Kerley presumably is as well. Powell and Owusu both showed well in the preseason. Do they try to sneak Powell onto the PS?

I feel pretty much the same, but I don't see why Powell would be the one they would want to sneak on the practice squad.  They need a punt returner.  He'd probably be seeing more time than most of those guys, with more impact.

Houston is the pipeline through Mac. D. Posey for example. Maybe there's more to come...

Good point.  The front offices will have a good relationship and similar philosophies.  It is still not the same as having experience and a comfort level with a specific players.  That is why Mangini coveted Chansi Stuckey, Trusnik, Keyon Coleman, Elam and Ratliff.  It is why Rex snatched up Harvin, Mulligan, Conner, Simms and IK.  Well, I guess it was part of the reason, that and spite.  Maccagnan has that with guys on the Texans roster, but the Texans front office doesn't have it with the Jets.

I don't think we should get too cocky in reference to our depth. It was an absolute pleasure to see a preseason game with what looked like professionals that know what they are doing.

judging by last night, it's been a nice progression with this team by Bowles. Looks like the WR coach is doing a whale of a job, doesn't say much for Sanjay Lal.

To me that was the amazing thing, we looked like a professional team.  I have been watching Jets football for awhile now and for the backups to be as disciplined as they were was very very impressive to me.

The play and the construct of the team reminds me a little of how Seattle goes about their business.

I also watched the Bills game as well and in truth the Bills looked excellent as well.  We are in a tough tough division no doubt about it.

Trade Geno, Richardson, and Milliner or Cromartie (not both).  I know we just got Cro back, but maybe someone would take him - I'm not convinced he'll be that good this year and could see someone else taking over for him.

In regards to Geno though, who would take him?  When you are ranked the worst or one of the worst QBs in the league, who's that desperate?  Or maybe someone thinks they could salvage him?  Perhaps San Fran would be a good spot behind Kaepernic.

they don't need to make a trade.  Someone will shake loose. 

which what every team is thinking right now.  And why so few trades happen at this time, in a sport where very few trades happen anytime.  Why do people think we can magically trade players we don't want for valuable picks to help us get a starter? 

We have some viable trading material at CB, WR and RB. We should be on the phone trying to make a trade and get some picks or a TE.

Candidates:

Kerley

Walls

Zac Stacy

no one is gonna trade for Walls.

no one is gonna trade for Kerley with his contract.

we should hold on to stacy -- we'll need him if Ivory or Powell get hurt.

Geno, Kerley, Walls - all trade material

No on Stacy - guy has shown too much upside this PS.  Surprised to see how decent a receiver he is.  Personally thought they kept him in the game too long yesterday.

+1

I thought Stacy had better vision and burst than Richardson yesterday, but take this with a grain of salt as my seats are upper deck. 

Archived