Jets Restructure Nick Folk to Make Cap Room

David Harris

The Jets have restructured kicker Nick Folk's contract to create salary cap space.

Folk's base salary was set to be $2.65 million in 2015. The Jets converted $1.78 million of that into a signing bonus. The move created $1,186,667 in salary cap space for the Jets in 2015. (More below on exactly how this happened.)The Jets really aren't paying Folk any more or any less. They're just moving money around for cap purposes.

The restructuring was first reported by ESPN's Field Yates.Folk signed a four-year, $12 million contract before last season. The only guaranteed money in the deal was a $2.1 million roster bonus, which only counted on the Jets' 2014 cap. So Folk's cap hits for 2015-17 were just going to be his base salaries.Folk has three years left on his contract: 2015-17. His signing bonus, for cap purposes, will be spread out over those three years — $593,333 each year.So the downside to the Jets creating cap space this year is that Folk now has that $593,333 cap hit attached to him — regardless of if he's on the team or not — for the next two seasons. (But the NFL's salary cap is projected to increase considerably, once again, this offseason.)

Folk's base salary for 2015 is now $870,000. Throw in his pro-rated signing bonus amount of $593,333 this season, and his cap hit will be $1,463,333, rather than the previously scheduled $2.65 million.That's how you get the $1,186,667 in cap savings.The Jets needed the cap space. Even after reworking Folk's deal, they have just $2,172,134 in cap space, according to overthecap.com. Only the Lions, Patriots, Seahawks, and Saints have less space.Reworking Folk's deal gives the Jets some cap wiggle room in case they need to sign a replacement player, if they're hit with a serious injury.

For Folk's purposes, his cap hits the next two years were going to be $2.75 million and $3 million — his base salaries. Now, you have to throw his pro-rated signing bonus money on top of those numbersFolk, 30, is entering his sixth season as the Jets' kicker. He has made 81.3 percent of his field goals during his time with them, including 82.1 percent last season and a career-best 91.7 percent in 2013.

Here's the updated look at Folk's contract :

Base salary: $870,000

Prorated bonus: $593,333

Cap hit: $1,463,333

Base salary: $2.75 million

Prorated bonus: $593,333

Cap hit: $3,343,333

Dead money if cut/traded: $1,186,667 (remaining prorated bonus)

Base salary: $3 million

Prorated bonus: $593,334

Cap hit: $3,593,334

Dead money if cut/traded: $593,334 (remaining prorated bonus)

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/09/jets_restructure_kicker_nick_folks_contract_to_cre.html#incart_river

Before I get flamed for this comment understand I realize we needed to spend money for a few reasons, obviously to have a more competitive team but also the rule that states we need to spend 89 percent to our cap over 4 years and the fact that 50 million is too much to have not spent.  I still wish we didn't spend practically all of it. I get that the contracts dished out were mostly front loaded so that we could easily get back under by a lot by trimming the fat, D Brick also will get the ax which will save a ton of money unless he restructures. Still, don't like the idea of giving out huge contracts.  

Can the save any more cap by cutting Smith and resigning Flynn or Johnson yo take his #3 QB spot?

The question is moot. 

Before I get flamed for this comment understand I realize we needed to spend money for a few reasons, obviously to have a more competitive team but also the rule that states we need to spend 89 percent to our cap over 4 years and the fact that 50 million is too much to have not spent.  I still wish we didn't spend practically all of it. I get that the contracts dished out were mostly front loaded so that we could easily get back under by a lot by trimming the fat, D Brick also will get the ax which will save a ton of money unless he restructures. Still, don't like the idea of giving out huge contracts.  

Despite all the money doled out, according to OTC (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets) the team still has $13M in cap space this year. Like you said, the majority of the deals they did sign are pretty painless to get out of. They're in good shape. 

Despite all the money doled out, according to OTC (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets) the team still has $13M in cap space this year. Like you said, the majority of the deals they did sign are pretty painless to get out of. They're in good shape. 

I'm confused.  You say we have $13M.  The article said after the restructure we only have $2,172,134 in space.  OTC says:

Total Cap Number: $153,415,660 (Top 51: $140,376,716)

and Google says the 2015 NFL salary cap is $143.28 million

???  Where did you get $13M from?

.The Jets needed the cap space. Even after reworking Folk's deal, they have just $2,172,134 in cap space, according to overthecap.com. Only the Lions, Patriots, Seahawks, and Saints have less space.Reworking Folk's deal gives the Jets some cap wiggle room in case they need to sign a replacement player, if they're hit with a serious injury.

just house cleaning

I'm confused.  You say we have $13M.  The article said after the restructure we only have $2,172,134 in space.  OTC says:

Common Core Math

Hmmm...

One thing I think I missed is the nearly $4M they have in dead money, but I think that still puts them in the $9M range in cap room right now. The $153M is the team's maximum cap (larger than most teams due to carry over from the Idzik years), subtract the $140M for the top 51 and the $4M in dead money = @ $9M in space. 

I have no problem with anyone explaining why I'm reading that wrong, lol, but that's the way it looks to me. 

Hmmm...

One thing I think I missed is the nearly $4M they have in dead money, but I think that still puts them in the $9M range in cap room right now. The $153M is the team's maximum cap (larger than most teams due to carry over from the Idzik years), subtract the $140M for the top 51 and the $4M in dead money = @ $9M in space. 

I have no problem with anyone explaining why I'm reading that wrong, lol, but that's the way it looks to me. 

I don't know where it's coming from either, but he says this, and it's unlikely he's wrong. But his website doesn't say that. Maybe PS guys' contracts? We gave Flynn a signing bonus, not sure how much.

8 hours ago

They had to do something. Were under $1M in cap room

@FieldYates

Source: the Jets have converted $1.78M of K Nick Folk's $2.5M base salary into a signing bonus, creating $1,186,667 in cap space for 2015.

--------------------

This has to be for Mo, right??

not really. They could structure Mo where the current year cap hit would actually be less than his current hit. So, not necessarily b

I don't know where it's coming from either, but he says this, and it's unlikely he's wrong. But his website doesn't say that. Maybe PS guys' contracts? We gave Flynn a signing bonus, not sure how much.

8 hours ago

They had to do something. Were under $1M in cap room

I'll take Jason at his tweet, but that's not how I interpret his site. :/ 

Doesn't seem like it's for MO 

@JasonLaCanfora: Jets nowhere close with Mo Wilkerson. This situation likely to head into 2016. The very latest right here: http://t.co/FRO672qXli

Wow, if this is true then the Jets have really been low balling Mo...

"Then, within hours of Dareus's extension becoming official on Thursday, the Jets presented a new proposal that the source said was still less than half of what Dareus will receive in terms of total dollars and guaranteed money, and was not close to the $23 million in full guarantees at the time of signing that Jordan received this summer, either."

Archived