Jets among shaky 2-0 teams

BurnleyJet

More anti Jet based rubbish..

Jets among shaky 2-0 teams; Texans among 0-2 teams with hope

If you're one of the nine undefeated teams in the NFL, you're no doubt feeling pretty good about your situation. After all, nine of the 15 teams to start 2-0 over the past two seasons went on to reach the playoffs. Conversely, if you're one of the nine teams looking for your first win, you might be feeling fairly low, considering that 13 of the 15 teams to start 0-2 over that span spent the postseason at home.

But those in the former group shouldn't forget about the six 2-0 teams that missed the playoffs (the Bears, Dolphins and Texans in 2013 and the Bills, Eagles and Texans in 2014), while those in the latter group should remember the two 0-2 squads that reached the playoffs (the Panthers in 2013 and the Colts last season). That is to say, no record guarantees anything this early.

Below, you'll see three 2-0 teams I have serious questions about and three 0-2 squads that have a good shot to turn their seasons around.

THREE UNDEFEATED TEAMS I'M WORRIED ABOUT

New York Jets

The Jets have a very good defense and a turnover differential of plus-eight -- that's why they're winning. But I see two trouble spots looming: the quarterback position and the running game. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good backup quarterback who is smart enough to play well on occasion, but I think there's a reason he's on his sixth team. I don't know if he can sustain success over a full season. Lead back Chris Ivory, meanwhile, is a guy who tries hard but isn't very special.

Coach Todd Bowles is very good, and the Jets' defense will present a lot of problems for opponents. But I don't think New York will be scoring a lot. This team is similar to the Texans, except the Jets don't have anyone like Arian Foster on their roster and they play in a much tougher division. New York also finishes up with three potentially difficult games (at Dallas, vs. New England and at Buffalo). For the Jets to have a chance, the defense will really have to carry the load.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000537084/article/jets-among-shaky-20-teams-texans-among-02-teams-with-hope

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasnt sh*t shaky about 10 turnovers, 51 points scored and just 17 points allowed. 

Seriously...this just makes me LOL.  The turnovers will slow down, but this is a team that should hold teams to 13-17 PPG several times this year.  Yes, the 2-0 Jets who will likely be gaining Sheldon Richardson, Devin Smith and Dee Milliner are "shaky".

Seriously...this just makes me LOL.  The turnovers will slow down, but this is a team that should hold teams to 13-17 PPG several times this year.  Yes, the 2-0 Jets who will likely be gaining Sheldon Richardson, Devin Smith and Dee Milliner are "shaky".

And we havent even unleashed Crushers secret weapon, Dexter McDougle! 

And we havent even unleashed Crushers secret weapon, Dexter McDougle! 

Man, even if McDougle is an "okay" player, which I think will be his floor, this CB depth is insane.  There can't be another team in the NFL that comes close to what the Jets have.

The offense really does have to get better to be a serious contender. 

I could see us missing the playoffs-

i could see it either way.

this weeks Eagles matchup is a classic "trap game." A desperate bleeding Philly team coming to town with jobs on the line. I for one am still fascinated by chip kelly and think his offense could become dangerous at anytime.

the SOJ blow this opportunity to go 3-0. What do the Todd Bowles Jets do?

You know I was just watching Mike and Mike and somebody posed a teaser question asking "So...what is WRONG with Andrew Luck?". Once again, and it may sound like it's getting old but had it been New England who beat them on Sunday the question would be "so how about that New England defense?. Instead of giving the Jets who right now have THE best defensive line in the game, the deserved props, ESPN turns it around to what's wrong with Andrew Luck. Even Brandon Marshall who just got here, sees it when on SHO's Inside The NFL tells Mike Irvin to NOT pick the Jets, because they'd rather fly under the radar. He gets it.  

Read on in that article and you'll see that the Texans, and the Eagles have hope at 0-2.

Sorry Gil but it's time to retire. He's obviously writing this article based on public perception.

If the Jets, and the Bengals have problems at QB then the Eagles, and Texans would love to have our problems at this point.

They would love to have our schedule also.

Then there's the fact that Jets, and Bengals completely outclass the Eagles, and the Texans on defense. I guess Gil, like almost everyone else doesn't realize that stopping 7 points is worth the same as scoring 7.

Man, even if McDougle is an "okay" player, which I think will be his floor, this CB depth is insane.  There can't be another team in the NFL that comes close to what the Jets have.

I agree. A guy who I believe will be a star in this league is Marcus Williams. Dude is solid and instinctual. This secondary is legit and by far the best in the league. 

Furthermore, a guy taking full advantage of his opportunity and making the best of it...Calvin Pryor. And what about Marcus Gilchrist? Its looking pretty real out there. 

And to think we have guys like Antonio Allen out on IR as well. The back end of that defense is deep. 

and Glen what about the two youngsters from the front 7 who have been missing games? Mauldin and Richardson? I'm telling you bro, and you need to address my theory in your articles about the way the game is once again changing, moving away from the meme of it being "a quarterback driven league" to my contention that "he who is the deepest has the best shot at being best". Because since the rule change of a couple of years ago that gives teams so few full pad practices, we are seeing an onslaught of serious injuries especially early on in pre-season games and in September. Don't be surprised if PS games are either cut in half or done away with altogether.

Love the idea that good numbers by teams you don't like or follow or didn't expect to put up are the product of luck and will fall off.  If one of his teams were to put them up he'd be singing their praise.  With the Jets they're bound to fall off with consequences.  

Saw there's an article out today that states Ben Roethlisberger is "finally" among the elite, so basically NFL journalism is already in mid-season form. 

Yes Ben has been steadily passing by everyone but Rodgers, and he gets extra credit for being able to do it without any protection.

As you see though perception is very difficult to change because people still just assume the Steelers have a good defense.

These experts should take the time to watch broken down game film, but instead they don't even seem to watch the games, but only catch highlights.  

and Glen what about the two youngsters from the front 7 who have been missing games? Mauldin and Richardson? I'm telling you bro, and you need to address my theory in your articles about the way the game is once again changing, moving away from the meme of it being "a quarterback driven league" to my contention that "he who is the deepest has the best shot at being best". Because since the rule change of a couple of years ago that gives teams so few full pad practices, we are seeing an onslaught of serious injuries especially early on in pre-season games and in September. Don't be surprised if PS games are either cut in half or done away with altogether.

I might do that...I putting something together that focuses on the ridiculous depth this team has and how it's already paying off after just two weeks (might be three weeks by the time I get it done).

They are not going to get this many turnovers every week.  Can they score without them?  It looks like they can, which is why I am hopeful, but recovering fumbles is generally luck and they have had quite a few - Gore spitting the ball up while he was walking into the end zone? 

Gore's fumble was luck. The other four were forced. Of course we can't expect that every week, but 'opportunistic' is something this team has not been for years. It's good to be able to use that adjective for the Jets. There will be plenty more forced turnovers.

They are not going to get this many turnovers every week.  Can they score without them?  It looks like they can, which is why I am hopeful, but recovering fumbles is generally luck and they have had quite a few - Gore spitting the ball up while he was walking into the end zone? 

I dont believe anyone is making the argument that the Jets are going to avg. 5 turnovers a game. What we are arguing is that the Jets arent this unstable 2-0 team. The defense will still be dominate overall and every point the Jets have put on the board have been via offense/special teams, which means that the offense is producing. 

Now I understand that 31 of the 51 points have come via defensive turnovers, but it was still the offense that established the points. They get credit for that. And we can even disregard the Gore fumble and give the Colts that TD, heck we could give them the fieldgoal that their kicker missed. But with that the Jets still outscored the Colts 20-17 and thats not taking into account Folk missing a fg to end the first half or Gilchrist dropping a INT in the first half. 

This team is good enough not to be considered "shaky". We put arguably the best defense on the field the past 2 weeks and the offense is scoring points. If the Jets continue to play effectively as they've been this team is a playoff team. 

Back under the radar. I like it.  All this love from the analysts was making me nervous.

Isn't it nice to see the Jets getting these kind of breaks for a change Dom? I mean it seemed like they went 4-5 years without getting a tipped ball interception, while you sit and watch teams like the Pats getting them 5 times EVERY year for the past decade at least. That's the stuff that I talk about year after year when we do our prediction thread before each season begins. I always say IF the Jets can somehow manage to get some of the breaks, some of the calls, some of the NON-calls AND if they can manage to stay somewhat healthy at the critical positions (this year QB being THE most important one) then they have a chance....these 2015 New York Jets have a chance to be THE team of destiny. 

I agree the Jets are "shaky".  Devin Smith is unproven and Milliner is, well, unreliable.  The team will certainly not maintain 5 turnovers/game.  Will the Jets continue to score at least 20 point/game? I sure hope so but I am sticking with my 9-7 projection.

I agree the Jets are "shaky".  Devin Smith is unproven and Milliner is, well, unreliable.  The team will certainly not maintain 5 turnovers/game.  Will the Jets continue to score at least 20 point/game? I sure hope so but I am sticking with my 9-7 projection.

wait in other words, you have yet to even watch a Jets game this year right? Because if you had, then you would most certainly know that neither of the two players that you mentioned have even played a down yet this year.

He is talking about whether they are a confirmed playoff team.  His discussion was regarding teams that should not be printing their playoff tickets just yet.  I tend to agree with him.  The team has looked very good, but they have not faced much yet.  The Parcells stat and they one that comes from the turnovers is starting field position.  The Jets opponents average start is on the 22, the Jets start on the 38.  That is pretty significant and it is unlikely that it will continue at that rate. OTOH, that is exactly what Bowles is coaching for, like Kelly is coaching for plays per second.

wait in other words, you have yet to even watch a Jets game this year right? Because if you had, then you would most certainly know that neither of the two players that you mentioned have even played a down yet this year.

He didn't even acknowledge you mentioning Sheldon Richardson either.  You know, the best or 2nd best player on the team?  lol.

Archived