biggest take away from Bowels presser: "we need to get faster"

nico002

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calvin Pace is a dinosaur, Erin Henderson is a decent player but is more of a run stopper than a pass defender.  David Harris is getting older.  Demario Davis is likely leaving.

This position group needs a rebirth for sure, and it can't just be Mauldin.  In the 2016 NFL, speed at LB is more important than brute force.

Calvin Pace is a dinosaur, Erin Henderson is a decent player but is more of a run stopper than a pass defender.  David Harris is getting older.  Demario Davis is likely leaving.

This position group needs a rebirth for sure, and it can't just be Mauldin.  In the 2016 NFL, speed at LB is more important than brute force.

Yep, and they HAVE to know how to cover guys as well. Clay Matthews had to learn it and he's done OK with it.

He is right. This defense is slow. Fastest guy on field is the 31 year old cromartie. Rumor is he can still run a 4.4 if being chased by a process server with a child support summons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Athletically Faster and mentally smarter . What good is being fast and stupid ?

Agreed. Faster doesn't necessarily just mean 40 times... team speed is often impacted by instinctive play and smarts. So, while we definitely need to shed some of the lead-footed LBers, we also need more guys that are smart (as you suggest), who play more instinctively, and less reactively. Fractions of seconds make a difference in this league.

An example on Sunday was when Watkins bobbled that ball, Revis pulled up for a fraction of a second, and then when Watkins pulled it back in, Revis was no longer in position to make an immediate stop and he gained 10+ more yards on the play. A play that the old Revis normally blows up for an incompletion. Extrapolate those pauses and fractions of seconds to other positions, with players nowhere near as talented as Revis, and you'll see a lot of the plays that burned us throughout the year... on defense, on kick coverage...

As for offense, I think it goes without saying that our RBs are slow as sh*t, and we have no speed from the TE position or the outside WR spot. Think about the mismatches we'd be able to create and exploit with a legit move TE, or a take it to the house RB.

Our offense did an excellent job putting up numbers, considering it really only had a QB and 2 WRs.

Agreed. Faster doesn't necessarily just mean 40 times... team speed is often impacted by instinctive play and smarts. So, while we definitely need to shed some of the lead-footed LBers, we also need more guys that are smart (as you suggest), who play more instinctively, and less reactively. Fractions of seconds make a difference in this league.

An example on Sunday was when Watkins bobbled that ball, Revis pulled up for a fraction of a second, and then when Watkins pulled it back in, Revis was no longer in position to make an immediate stop and he gained 10+ more yards on the play. A play that the old Revis normally blows up for an incompletion. Extrapolate those pauses and fractions of seconds to other positions, with players nowhere near as talented as Revis, and you'll see a lot of the plays that burned us throughout the year... on defense, on kick coverage...

As for offense, I think it goes without saying that our RBs are slow as sh*t, and we have no speed from the TE position or the outside WR spot. Think about the mismatches we'd be able to create and exploit with a legit move TE, or a take it to the house RB.

Our offense did an excellent job putting up numbers, considering it really only had a QB and 2 WRs.

We had Ridley plodding at RB, and only three catches outside of Marshall and Decker (2 of those to Ridley for zero yards). So yes, we really did only have a QB and 2 WR. And I guess one big run from Ivory (that still led to zero points :angry:).

I thought Harris had a good year and did a good job commanding the defense on the field. Not everybody can be lightning fast and I could take that guy being a little slow for the role that he played. The other guys at LB need a hard look for sure. Pace is most likely out. Henderson and Davis are likely relegated to depth. I'd really enjoy not seeing Davis in coverage anymore.

Sounds like Myles Jack!

He is right. This defense is slow. Fastest guy on field is the 31 year old cromartie. Rumor is he can still run a 4.4 if being chased by a process server with a child support summons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's better then that he's so fast that if he takes his pants off in a women's locker room they all become pregnant..Even women 60 and older..:)

We had richardson playing OLB on several plays. I think OLB is the biggest problem speed wise.  Even Mauldin is no speedster.  I would have liked to see Reilly get more snaps over pace.  Outside speed has been an issue on D.  No speed rush and poor coverage from the OLB position hurt us this year.  

When Harris got hurt a few games ago Bowles basically said he runs the defense.  He is still good and brings leadership.   Pace and Davis need to go.  Mauldin was a great pick.  

Need to improve at the #3 and #4 receiver spots.  For some reason Kerley doesn't fit in and Thompkins and Enunwa are #5 quality receivers. Also add some depth to the OL. 

Everyone seems to be focused on the D in this thread.  I didnt hear the presser but did he specifically say we need to get faster on Defense?  Because their isnt any speed on offense either.  

Good point. A RB with above average speed would have scored on that 58 yd run Ivory had. Offense needs somebody that keeps opposing d-coordinators up at night.

I think Erin Henderson is plenty fast.  Part of getting faster will probably be re-signing him to start in Demario's spot.

I thought Harris had a good year and did a good job commanding the defense on the field. Not everybody can be lightning fast and I could take that guy being a little slow for the role that he played. The other guys at LB need a hard look for sure. Pace is most likely out. Henderson and Davis are likely relegated to depth. I'd really enjoy not seeing Davis in coverage anymore.

Agreed. David Harris runs a "mental" 4:38 40!

Archived