Movies We've Seen Thread

On 5/1/2018 at 7:11 PM, HessStation said:

Thor Ragnorok was the greatest superhero movie I've ever seen by a large margin fwiw 

Yep

The first time that a lot of the comedic bits in these movies actually landed for me. Korg and Goldblum as the Grandmaster were f*cking great. 

Movie was a blast from start to finish.

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

I know I am in the small minority here because millions flock to them and these Marvel movies are cash making machines but I am over them years ago. I feel if you have seen one you have seen them all. The plots are all so similar and the only real improvements are the suits (and Gal Gadot) but like I said millions love em. I'll watch but wait for HBO or Showtime or streaming.

You have the ones that are completely mediocre (Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, the first Captain America, the first Thor, Age of Ultron) and a couple that are complete sh*t (Iron Man 2, Thor 2)...but then you have a few that are really damn good and among the best blockbusters I’ve seen in the last 20 years (original Avengers, Winter Soldier, Civil War, both of the Guardians movies, Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War).

The Guardians movies, Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War are easily my favorites because they actually feel like comic book movies that embrace the fact that they’re comic book movies and are handled really well. Plenty of color and wacky, fun sh*t going on.

The DC movies on the other hand have been god awful.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Good lord Hereditary is incredible. 100% lives up to the hype. Legit one of the most terrifying films ever. Toni Collette deserves an Oscar. Just wow.

It's way too early to crown anything as the best of 2018, but it's hard to imagine anyone releasing something better.

How are you seeing these things a month before they’re released. Reveal your secrets

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Do not understand the hype around Veronica on Netflix at all. It's not scary, original, or particularly well done. For a second at the end it seems like there is going to be a great payoff, but there isn't. Swing and a big miss.

Did you watch Dark yet?

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2018 at 5:40 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Good lord Hereditary is incredible. 100% lives up to the hype. Legit one of the most terrifying films ever. Toni Collette deserves an Oscar. Just wow.

It's way too early to crown anything as the best of 2018, but it's hard to imagine anyone releasing something better.

I’m reading nothing but amazing things about this movie. And I’m scared of being too hyped up for it, as I do with most horror movies. Love the genre but I often build myself up that a film is gonna be great just to be let down. 

The Quiet Place was a good one. Not scary or anything but just really well done. 

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That's one of those shows that I know I'll like but I'm stuck on The Expanse, Westworld and Cobra Kai right now.

The Expanse is great....but they need to stay more focused on the Crew imo. Lots of extraneous stuff going on this season. 

Went to see A Quiet Place on Saturday

First 20 minutes, was great.   The problem was, the people around us.   Constantly talking, constantly on their cell phones.   I literally had to ask them to turn them off.   More talking, joking, going from seat to seat.  We had to ask for the theater to send someone in, that shut them up for 2 minutes.  The guy left, and it started all over again.  The movie is called "A Quiet Place", so shut up!

We left.   I couldn't take it, my date couldn't take it.   I'll try again next weekend if I can.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Just watched Godfather for the first time. What an awesome movie.

Kinda pissed that I’m 36 late years to this party. Would have loved to have a good Godfather discussion thread. 

One of the rare times, the second one is every bit as good as the first.

It doesn't matter that you are late to the party.   It matters that you GOT to the party.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Just the first one? The second was a four star also and a must see ... just make believe the third doesn't exist

Some time ago I was holding a team meeting of a loan workout group. We were going over the accounts and were talking about the strategy on one. The account officer said that it was "Going to the Mattresses". One person piped up with, "What does that mean?", so I said, "you know, like in the Godfather". She then said that she had never seen it. An entire table of people all replied in unison with astonishment "You've never seen the Godfather?". I told her that if she rented it I would give her a free day off and consider it a training day. There is a lot to learn about remedial management from that movie.

Awesome.

18 hours ago, chirorob said:

It doesn't matter that you are late to the party.   It matters that you GOT to the party.

Yep, it’s next on my list. Just gotta find 3 hours somewhere. 

So many actors in this one. I didn’t even realize that was Al Pacino (I guess from the side profile I could make out his nose, but man, so young), and about halfway through the movie I turned to my wife and said, “I thought Al had a big part in this movie?” 

I looked into the director to see what else he’s directed, and The Outsiders is one of them. I read that book between 4th and 5th grade and it was my favorite book till high school. I remember finding out that it was made into a movie, renting it from the library, watching it, and be amazed at the star power in it: Coach Bombay, Swayze, Cruise, Dillon, Lowe. I mean, how many careers has Coppola helped/made?

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Awesome.

Yep, it’s next on my list. Just gotta find 3 hours somewhere. 

So many actors in this one. I didn’t even realize that was Al Pacino (I guess from the side profile I could make out his nose, but man, so young), and about halfway through the movie I turned to my wife and said, “I thought Al had a big part in this movie?” 

I looked into the director to see what else he’s directed, and The Outsiders is one of them. I read that book between 4th and 5th grade and it was my favorite book till high school. I remember finding out that it was made into a movie, renting it from the library, watching it, and be amazed at the star power in it: Coach Bombay, Swayze, Cruise, Dillon, Lowe. I mean, how many careers has Coppola helped/made?

Dude, the Outsiders is the sh*t! 

Godfathers 1 and 2 are my 2 favorite movies of all time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Seriously?  Did you see Apocalypse Now yet? 

The one I keep forgetting to find is Hearts of Darkness about the making of Apocalypse Now.  The entire thing was a huge train wreck and they had to boot Harvey Keitel for Martin Sheen.  They used footage Coppola's wife shot and handed over a decade later.  Coppola's quote was straight Conrad - "We were in the jungle, there were too many of us, we had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane"  I'm sure it is on cable or Amazon somewhere, but I keep forgetting to look

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

French Connection is the same way - both movies are excellent.  Gene Hackman is the man.

On May 14, 2018 at 1:03 PM, chirorob said:

Went to see A Quiet Place on Saturday

First 20 minutes, was great.   The problem was, the people around us.   Constantly talking, constantly on their cell phones.   I literally had to ask them to turn them off.   More talking, joking, going from seat to seat.  We had to ask for the theater to send someone in, that shut them up for 2 minutes.  The guy left, and it started all over again.  The movie is called "A Quiet Place", so shut up!

We left.   I couldn't take it, my date couldn't take it.   I'll try again next weekend if I can.

Hope your date made the evening worth your while anyway !

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Saw Life of the Party with my wife.   2 minutes of it was funny, the rest reminded me of a 1980's Walt Disney film.   Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield still miles ahead of anything else made.  Billy Madison gets honorable mention.

Melissa McCarthy peaked with Bridesmaids.

I dont find McCarthy the least bit funny. 

Back to School is comedy gold. Sam Kinnison OMFG

Rodney was always so funny.

Rodney.png

• Upvote 1

Walked my dog last night and when I got back to the house, the GF had a movie cued up.  Thoroughbreds.

Typically, she picks the worst movies in the world.  This one, was pretty freaking interesting.  A dark dark comedy.  Like, really dark.  

It's good.  Not like, drop what you're doing and watch this movie good but definitely if you're looking for something different, check it out. 

Solo, spoiler free:

- I really loved the flick. It grows on you more and more as it goes on. Particularly Ehrenreich. It takes a while to get used to the fact that you're watching a movie about Han, but once you get there it's a lot of fun.

- The production and effects are top notch. Like as good as Rogue One. Several legitimate classic chase scenes; and man, it is awesome watching the Falcon fly like that.

- Tons and tons of nostalgia. You're legit pumped up by the time Han and Chewy are finally sitting in the cockpit of the Falcon together.

- For all the production troubles they experienced making it, I don't think it showed. It's not an incredibly original plot, but the movie runs smooth from start to finish.

- Like Rogue One, you pretty much know what's going to happen, so Howard relies more on the strength of the cast along with the viewer's love for the characters and the look of Star Wars. You're just there for the ride. If you can accept that going in you'll have a blast. I dig that.

- The ending is so top-notch. Go see it before the Internet or some dickhead friend spoils it for you.

- The thing I enjoy most about these anthology flicks is that contrary to how the media frames them, they are not simple standalone stories. Lucasfilm treats these movies as prequels to IV more than standalone stories, and both reveal information that gives a deeper backstory to A New Hope. People hate on VII and VIII, and that's fine. I think those flicks are just matters of personal taste because some Star Wars fans love them and some hate them. I personally love them, but I like these anthology flicks a lot more. I can't wait to see what they do with the Kenobi and Boba Fett movies.

• Sympathy 2

On 5/25/2018 at 1:59 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Solo, spoiler free:

- I really loved the flick. It grows on you more and more as it goes on. Particularly Ehrenreich. It takes a while to get used to the fact that you're watching a movie about Han, but once you get there it's a lot of fun.

- The production and effects are top notch. Like as good as Rogue One. Several legitimate classic chase scenes; and man, it is awesome watching the Falcon fly like that.

- Tons and tons of nostalgia. You're legit pumped up by the time Han and Chewy are finally sitting in the cockpit of the Falcon together.

- For all the production troubles they experienced making it, I don't think it showed. It's not an incredibly original plot, but the movie runs smooth from start to finish.

- Like Rogue One, you pretty much know what's going to happen, so Howard relies more on the strength of the cast along with the viewer's love for the characters and the look of Star Wars. You're just there for the ride. If you can accept that going in you'll have a blast. I dig that.

- The ending is so top-notch. Go see it before the Internet or some dickhead friend spoils it for you.

- The thing I enjoy most about these anthology flicks is that contrary to how the media frames them, they are not simple standalone stories. Lucasfilm treats these movies as prequels to IV more than standalone stories, and both reveal information that gives a deeper backstory to A New Hope. People hate on VII and VIII, and that's fine. I think those flicks are just matters of personal taste because some Star Wars fans love them and some hate them. I personally love them, but I like these anthology flicks a lot more. I can't wait to see what they do with the Kenobi and Boba Fett movies.

Taking the kids to see it either tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping its the necessary antidote to that disaster of a sh*tshow Kathleen "The Force is female" Kennedy and Rian "Luke Who??" Johnson vomited out and branded as a "Star Wars" movie last year. 

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Taking the kids to see it either tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping its the necessary antidote to that disaster of a sh*tshow Kathleen "The Force is female" Kennedy and Rian "Who is Luke?" Johnson vomited out and branded as a "Star Wars" movie last year. 

I'm not sure why I enjoyed it so much. I think Howard just accepted that the script wasn't very good, so he decided to play up the nostalgia. I wonder how rewatchable it's going to be because the big screen and sound played a huge part of the experience.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:06 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not sure why I enjoyed it so much. I think Howard just accepted that the script wasn't very good, so he decided to play up the nostalgia. I wonder how rewatchable it's going to be because the big screen and sound played a huge part of the experience.

Solo was the first SW movie Ive truly enjoyed in a theatre since the OT was re-released in '97. Thought Ehrenreich did a great job (was shocked that he pulled it off as well as he did), thought the movie was fun and cool (aside from the annoying AF, pointless Droid) and I really loved a few moments in it. I think I get their plan now. Make mindless new crap in the series films for the idiot SJW millennial crowd, and make cool throwbacks for the anthology films for us old geezers and our kids. 

Whatever. I hope Solo gets a trilogy and I think Kenobi with McGregor will be epic. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Solo was the first SW movie Ive truly enjoyed in a theatre since the OT was re-released in '97. Thought Ehrenreich did a great job (was shocked that he pulled it off as well as he did), thought the movie was fun and cool (aside from the annoying AF, pointless Droid) and I really loved a few moments in it. I think I get their plan now. Make mindless new crap in the series films for the idiot SJW millennial crowd, and make cool throwbacks for the anthology films for us old geezers and our kids.  

Whatever. I hope Solo gets a trilogy and I think Kenobi with McGregor will be epic.  

I thought the same thing when I walked out. Rogue One and Solo sure do seem like they're made for the lot of us that spend our time dissecting the mysteries of Boba Fett.

Speaking of which the dude who directed Logan is officially on for the Boba Fett flick. Talk about a perfect choice.

• Post of the Week 1

On 5/25/2018 at 1:59 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Solo, spoiler free:

Some spoilers/barely...

I saw it last night and it was kinda weird. I didn't know how to feel while watching it. Because it was well done, like the production and effects like you mentioned. I liked the actors. It just had a different feel to it then all the others. It didn't feel like THIS IS STAR WARS, until maybe the middle of the movie once things started to get going. Also the fact that (spoiler? meh)  there wasn't one lightsaber in the whole thing, threw off that star wars vibe. I also couldn't stand Lando's robot partner. Felt like for a droid, she had way too much human emotion/personality. 

Other then that, the chase and action scenes were awesome. Ehrenreich did great, as well as Glover. It didn't drag, like some of the movies can. Overall a good watch. Can't really complain much about it. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:52 PM, MDL_JET said:

Felt like for a droid, she had way too much human emotion/personality. 

Seems all the Disney Star Wars films have to have a quirky robot featuring prominently in them.

Kinda dreading what they would do to IG-88 or 4-LOM if they feature in the Boba Fett film.