Why all the Sanchez hate

BigOrangeJetFan

He wasn't as bad as people think, but he's closer to bad than average and he just got worse and worse over the years.  Yes the team got weaker, but the team also helped him win.  I mean they were losing games in his first two seasons where the defense let up less than 10 points.      But it didn't help that Rex was the HC and only cared about defense and Schotty and Tony were his OC.  We see what Schotty has done to a QB who looked like he was going to be a potential star in St. Louis.   

Sanchez was never going to be a pro bowl QB or a QB who was in the top 15 QBs in the league. He's just not that good.  But he could have been salvaged like an Alex Smith, who was terrible as well.  But the Jets don't seem to have a clue how to develop offensive players.

I think Sanchez hate stems from the fact he was overdrafted, overpaid and underperformed.  People were expecting a big leap in the 3rd year and didn't get it because of a deteriorating team and anemic play-calling.  That said, the Jets reached for him because of Brett Favre, paid him for two AFC Championship games he didn't really lead them to, and he was the face of the franchise.

Also, he's pretty.

For some it is hate. For some (like me) it is bitter dissapointment. They didn't ask Sanchez to do alot those first two years. Run the football, make a play here and there and don't turn the ball over. For those two years he pretty much did that (minus the turnovers which you would expect from a rookie or 2nd year guy). In 2011 the Jets took the training wheels off and told Sanchez that he was the man and he would be the driving force behind the offense. Well it took only about 4 or 5 games to see that he wasn't ready and basically from the Baltimore game to the Giants game to finally losing command of the huddle in Miami with Holmes to see that the Jets had a major problem when it came to QB. Bring in Tebow, Bring in Sporano, Lose Holmes, Lose Keller just continued Sanchez' freefall to the point where by the end of 2012 the Jets had a guy who could not make a throw or hold onto the football anymore. Do I hate him ? No. I hate the fact that he didn't take that next step like a guy like Flacco did or Matt Ryan and instead went the way of David Carr. I hate the fact that a potential Super Bowl just a few ago's is now in full rebuilding mode. I hate the fact that Tannebaum gave him a ridiculous contract extension when they started flirting Manning. I hate the fact that Sanchez not taking the next step led to the Jets doing the incredibly stupid and bringing in Tebow instead of an actual backup who could actually play. Those things I hate

By Brian Costello

October 1, 2013 | 9:28pm

My next sentence may make Jets fans punch the computer screen, throw their phones or rip the newspaper in half.

The Jets miss Mark Sanchez (I’m ducking).

I know, I know. It seems like an impossible, illogical thing to say. But the 2013 Jets would be a better team right now with Sanchez under center instead of Geno Smith. Sanchez was thriving in Marty Mornhinweg’s system during training camp, and Smith would have been better off watching the first four games of the regular season instead of trying to figure things out on the field.

All of this makes the decision to play Sanchez in the fourth quarter of a meaningless preseason game with the Giants in August that much dumber. Whether it was coach Rex Ryan, general manager John Idzik or some combination of the Jets’ brain trust who decided to stick Sanchez behind an offensive line that featured two rookies and two players who would be cut a week later, it was incredibly short-sighted.

When Marvin Austin crushed Sanchez’s shoulder that night, the Jets’ hopes took just as severe a blow.

Through four games, the Jets have shown reason to believe they are better than people thought. The defensive front seven might be the best in football. Bilal Powell is tied for the AFC lead in rushing yards. Smith, however, clearly is not ready for what has been dumped on his shoulders, and it is holding the team back.

All offseason, Smith’s talent was clear, but so were his shortcomings. He could throw the ball a mile, but struggled when asked to throw an intermediate route. He could make plays with his legs, but carried the ball with one hand, opening himself up for fumbles.

Smith had four turnovers Sunday and now has 11 this season, tied with Eli Manning for the lead.

Now, Sanchez never was Mr. Ball Security. I’ll give you that. But Sanchez could not have been worse than this. People pointed out Sanchez’s trip to Tennessee last year was just as bad as Smith’s on Sunday. Sanchez actually had five turnovers in that game. Look at who he was throwing to that night, though. Chaz Schilens and Braylon Edwards, who signed five days earlier, were his starting receivers. Some of Sanchez’s worst turnover games in the past two years were games in which the Jets were trailing and had to throw a ton.

I believe the Jets would be 3-1 right now if Sanchez had started the season. They would have beaten the Patriots if they had him back there. Smith’s three fourth-quarter interceptions that night ended any hope.

The decision to play Sanchez and chase the Snoopy Trophy still is a puzzling one. Some people have suggested Ryan wanted Sanchez to get hurt to clear the way for Smith. That is silly. Ryan wants to win more than anything else. That may have been what cost him. People who know him well say his competitiveness can sometimes lead to rash, ill-advised decisions. Others believe Sanchez’s entry into the game was a pregame mandate from Idzik.

If Sanchez had started the season, it would have been the ideal situation for Smith to sit back and watch. Clearly, NFL teams felt Smith was not ready to play in this league or they would have taken him in the draft’s first round. If Sanchez did not play better than Smith has, the move to bench Sanchez would have been an easy one.

Instead, now you have Sanchez on the short-term injured reserve and possibly needing surgery, leaving Ryan to stick with Smith for the time being. Benching Smith to go to Matt Simms, an even more inexperienced quarterback, would accomplish nothing.

Things that happen in the preseason rarely matter in the NFL. But the 2013 Jets’ season looks like it will be shaped by a silly decision in August.

There is one good thing about the increasing popularity of this statement, it at least immediately let's us all know that the person making it has no understanding of the game of football.

Yeah, the Jets would totally be better off wasting away a season on a guy they already knew beyond any doubt whatsoever was an absolutely pathetically awful QB, as opposed to finding out about a new kid who they at least had some sliver of hope would not be such a complete abomination as his predecessor.  There is not one single benefit that would have come out of having Sanchez out on the field for the Jets, regardless of how bad things get this season, which is what makes his injury ultimately a blessing in disguise.  They would be, and will be, better off with any one of Geno, Simms or yes, even Quinn, under center than that useless pile of feces.

I love how people assume that MS would be able to:

A) throw the ball downfield

B ) throw the ball downfield accurately

C) throw the ball downfield consistently accurate

D) throw the ball over d-lineman

E) throw short passes accurately

These are things that he has proven to be a big problem...how did his sub par preseason change ANYONES mind? Let alone people with knowledge of what he is and isnt capable of...smh

I think Sanchez hate stems from the fact he was overdrafted, overpaid and underperformed. People were expecting a big leap in the 3rd year and didn't get it because of a deteriorating team and anemic play-calling. That said, the Jets reached for him because of Brett Favre, paid him for two AFC Championship games he didn't really lead them to, and he was the face of the franchise.

Also, he's pretty.

This is fair.

I don't hate Sanchez. He is what he is. I hate the Jets for not knowing what he is. I wanted Sanchez to start, not because I think he'd have led us to 3-1/4-0, but because I knew Smith wasn't ready and saw the fickle fan sh*t storm coming months ago.

That said, Mark's only remaining value was as a place holder. Now that's done too. Bye Mark. Good luck anywhere else.

I don't hate Sanchez. He is what he is. I hate the Jets for not knowing what he is. I wanted Sanchez to start, not because I think he'd have led us to 3-1/4-0, but because I knew Smith wasn't ready and saw the fickle fan sh*t storm coming months ago.

That said, Mark's only remaining value was as a place holder. Now that's done too. Bye Mark. Good luck anywhere else.

How will the Jets get rid of him? It is going to be very interesting to see what happens down the road.

Archived