Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck Doug wherever you are going. He is a Herbert H. Lehman grad just like myself and if he comes herehe will bring stability and we know he will bring toughness. Going to school here you had to be tough. He played for a renown high school coach in Carmine Colasanto and brings the Lehman Lion pride with him. This will be a great hire if indeed he is hired by the Jets. You never know, he might be the successor for Tom Coughlin and gets hired by the Giants as an assistant coach in waiting. But knowing about the GM connection I think it will be the Jets.

Holy crap! I'm a Lehman grad too,class of 1990.

I didn't know Marrone went to The L. Wish him the best of luck.

he makes no sense for the jets.  he oversaw an anemic offense and very good defense

been there done that

he's rex without the pizzaz

somebody tampered with him, I hope it wasn't woody

What kind of stats were you thinking he should have with Kyle Orton at QB?

Shouldn't a guy who beats the Great Rex Ryan by three TDs every time they play get an extension? That's like Jesus-level stuff there.

I'm apathetic about the prospects of signing him.  I guess I'd rather have him than Tom Cable for what that's worth.  Is his 9-7 this year a better coaching job than Rex' 8-8 last year?  No.

I wouldn't be surprised that, if Marrone is indeed the Jets next head coach, that they don't already have the GM in mind and are just working through the details of the deal.

The fact Marrone opted out tells me he has another gig set, and if he left the Bills to come to the Jets, I don't think he would do it without having an idea of who the GM would be, and vice versa.

Remember Casserley and Wolf have been working the lines for the past week or two.

For the record, I like Marrone. Followed him at Syracuse ... my daughter goes to Cuse, so I watched alot of their games his last 2 years there. I think he's done a damn good job with the Bills, who absolutely sucked before he got there. He's a no nonsense guy, which is exactly what the Jets need at this point in time, IMO.

Pretty much consistent with what I was saying earlier, the only thing is are we jumping to conclusion that it's the Jets he is targetting, could be one of the other teams, but based on what I'm seeing there is alot to support the Jets are it.

I endorse this choice as long as it comes with the former scout from houston as GM

I think he would be no BS best players play

Lookout geno, winters, oday, bremo, pryor, and whoever gets left over

I think this guy would make great game manager. Let's hope we now get some good coaches to compliment.

At the end of the day, anyone but Rex. I know very little about Marone, but stealing a coach from a division rival that is unquestionably on the rise (and certainly had our number this year) is kinda like 2 birds with one stone. I'd love if he brought Shwartz.

I also like the move to bench the #1 overall pick, something Rex would have never had the guts to do. that was Marone all the way, and it obviously paid dividends.

Interesting development none-the-less

Mehta already trolling Marone possibility:

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Doug Marrone? Give. Me. A. Break. #nyj

That dumbass gained some minor publicity being on the hate idziot front which was very popular

This dumbass will try to do same sh*t on something that won't have same popularity and will get his ass fired because no one will pay anymore attention to the dumbass who probably never even threw a football in his life...cricket anyone?

I was listening to ESPN radio the other day and they (can't remember who exactly) was talking about how back in 2013 Marrone had his choice for jobs over Chip Kelley as he was considered the top candidate.

Now which team(s) considered him the top candidate I don't know, but regardless they were singing his praises and think he's done a very good job in Buffalo. Hell, to get the Bills their first winning record in 10 years is pretty impressive IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

This would be a really bad hire. An offensive coach that failed to develop offensive players and has shown he has no idea how to get the most out of his players' strengths.

But, hey, they had a great defense that he rode to 9-7, so fml.

guess I should start getting used to the idea of Marrone.

Doug Marrone has ally in Jets organization
December, 31, 2014
Dec 31
9:15
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Former Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone, suddenly a coaching free agent, has an ally in the New York Jets' organization -- newly hired consultant Charley Casserly.

300105.jpg
Marrone
Someone who knows Casserly, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Casserly has been raving about Marrone since he was the Syracuse coach (2009-12). Even then, Casserly was describing Marrone as a future NFL head coach, a rising star in the business.

"He was totally infatuated with him," the person said. "You have to know Charley: When he gets on something, he's a pit bull. I know he's got Woody [Johnson] all lathered up."

Johnson is familiar with Marrone, who was the Jets' offensive line coach from 2002 to 2005.

This much we know: The Jets are interested in Marrone, who opted out of his Bills contract Wednesday night, and they will try to schedule an interview if they haven't done so already.

Casserly and Ron Wolf, both former longtime general managers in the NFL, are working as consultants for the Jets. The team has already conducted one interview (Jets running backs coach Anthony Lynn), and they have at least two more scheduled, both with Seattle Seahawks assistants -- defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and offensive line coach Tom Cable. Those interviews will happen Friday, and perhaps Saturday, in Seattle.

I wouldn't be surprised that, if Marrone is indeed the Jets next head coach, that they don't already have the GM in mind and are just working through the details of the deal.

The fact Marrone opted out tells me he has another gig set, and if he left the Bills to come to the Jets, I don't think he would do it without having an idea of who the GM would be, and vice versa.

Remember Casserley and Wolf have been working the lines for the past week or two.

For the record, I like Marrone. Followed him at Syracuse ... my daughter goes to Cuse, so I watched alot of their games his last 2 years there. I think he's done a damn good job with the Bills, who absolutely sucked before he got there. He's a no nonsense guy, which is exactly what the Jets need at this point in time, IMO.

Syracuse sure could have used him against Florida St. this year

I can hear you folks already after 2 years of Doug, why the @&@,^ did we fire Rex to get this piece of &@#% !!!!

Mean while, Rex is taking the Falcons to the NFC championship game and beyond. So typical Jets, fire one and bring in someone even worst.

I'm not even remotely worried about that.  Whatever future success rex has it will be because some gm builds a can't miss team.  I just hope he brings all of his 2nd tier assistants with him to the Falcons.

Has any coaching job ever been better than Rex's 8-8 last year?

They won two games by the other team blowing it on the last play of the game.

They got blown out of allmost every loss.

They gave up a horredonsous number of long scoring plays that year, not just long plays, long td plays.

The 8-8 was a total fluke abberation that in the end really hurt this team by deep sixing our draft post with the last win and by having numbskulls think rex did a great job.

Doug Marrone jilts Bills; Bill Polian reportedly coming back

Doug Marrone has deserted his position as Buffalo Bills head coach, and former executive Bill Polian might be on the verge of coming back. Marrone on Wednesday exercised an exit clause in his contract and became a coaching free agent. His three-day window to leave expired at midnight. CBS Sports reported Wednesday night that Polian will be returning to the Bills to oversee football operations. Polian, now an ESPN analyst, built the Bills' roster for their unprecedented and unduplicated 1990s Super Bowl run before winning a Super Bowl with the Indianapolis Colts. Polian did not immediately return a call to The Buffalo News.

Marrone guided the Bills to a 9-7 record, their first winning season in a decade, but they extended their playoff drought to 15 straight seasons, the longest in the NFL. The Bills went 6-10 in Marrone's rookie campaign.

"Doug Marrone informed me late today that he has decided to exercise the option clause in his contract and relinquish his responsibilities as our head coach," Bills owner Terry Pegula said in a statement. "We are disappointed that Coach Marrone will no longer be an important part of our organization. We thank him for all of his hard work and leadership during his tenure and wish him and his family the best with the next chapter in their lives." Marrone's unusual out clause was included in his contract in the event of an ownership change. Multiple sources close to both parties told The News that Marrone was uncomfortable with the unkown of working with Terry and Kim Pegula and the changes they could make to the Bills' football operations.

Reports of Polian's return have been rampant, but nothing was definitive as the clock on Marrone's exit clause ticked down. General Manager Doug Whaley's future with the club appears uncertain.

An NFL source confirmed that Marrone's salary for 2015 was $4 million guaranteed and will be due in addition to any money he makes from his next employer. Players were stunned by Marrone's departure two days after their season-ending interviews with him. Almost as soon as Marrone's departure was reported, so was the mutual interest between him and the New York Jets. "I just found out Doug Marrone is available. We will look at him,” Jets owner Woody Johnson told the New York Daily News. "He is a coach who was with us. And I know him a little bit." Marrone was the Jets' offensive line coach from 2002 through 2005. He attended Lehman High in the Bronx. "This is pretty good news," Johnson said. "I was shocked. It's been a long time since I've seen Doug, and I have good memories of him." The Bills now must hire their fifth head coach in seven years. The most notable names on the market are San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich, Bills defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz and former Jets coach Rex Ryan.

"We will now begin the important process of conducting a thorough search for a new head coach as we continue to strive to reach our goal of returning to the playoffs and bringing a championship to Buffalo for our fans," Pegula said. In Monday's season-ending news conference alongside Whaley, Marrone refused to answer whether he would take the opportunity to leave the team. "I can't answer that question," Marrone said. "I will tell you this and my background has been the same and you guys can look into: I do not discuss my contract, and that's my rule. I never have and never will." Teams with vacancies are the Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers and Jets.

Archived