Jets transition to 4-3 defense? Could Suh, Pierre-Paul end up in green next year?

Connor_J_Hughes

Some may have interest in two articles changing the pace on coaching/gm search. 

First -- Information/analysis breakdown of what Jets would look like if they made the switch to a 4-3 defense. Includes needs, names to target and more:

Second-- Beginning of the year, Detroit Lions DT Ndamukong Suh said he wanted to play in NY. In a 3-4, that wouldn't work. In a 4-3? That's possible. Financially, Jets could afford either him, or Jason Pierre-Paul, with no significant cap hit or impact on Wilkerson/Richardson.  Includes cap numbers, analysis and lineup possibilities + how it could work

Last thing in the world we should be putting on our wishlist is top tier DL. Unless we're talking about extending the guys we already have.

Holes all over this team, fans cry for change and better roster, and the suggestion? More DL? 

SMH

Both of those articles mention Richardson could play end in a 4-3. While I suppose it's possible, that'd be far from ideal. His best fit in a 4-3 would be as a 3-tech IMO. Most prototypical 4-3 front the Jets could run out would have Richardson and Wilkerson at DT, Coples at LE, and a RE they pick up this offseason.

One good point that was made is that the cupboard is pretty bare at linebacker (though I think Davis is more of a WLB than a MLB in a 4-3). I think that's true regardless of whether they go 4-3 or 3-4 though. Now honestly wouldn't be a bad time to make the switch if they want to do it.

Simple answer is, no.  If our new coach wants to go 4-3 next year we are more than

ready with Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison & Coples.  And it would be the height of

stupidity to use all of our cap flexibility on our DLine and not address the rest of our

needs.  What are we going to do give big $$$ to Wilkerson, Suh & Pierre-Paul???  Give

me a break

Pierre-Paul would be an utterly pointless signing.

JPP has been living off his rep for a long time. Giants put lipstick on a pig of a season with an okay last month.

Also, the 4-3, 3-4 thing is not as important as it one was. 4-3 teams drop DL guys into coverage, 3-4 teams have an OLB line up on the line all the time. And both find themselves running a lot more nickel and dime either way. Nobody is truly one or the other any more.

JPP has been living off his rep for a long time. Giants put lipstick on a pig of a season with an okay last month.

Also, the 4-3, 3-4 thing is not as important as it one was. 4-3 teams drop DL guys into coverage, 3-4 teams have an OLB line up on the line all the time. And both find themselves running a lot more nickel and dime either way. Nobody is truly one or the other any more.

But finding Lber's that can play either scheme is . Right now Davis is probably the only LB we have that can effectively play both schemes.

I definetly see it. Going 4-3 and trading a lineman for a pick makes alot of sense. (Ex Snacks to atlanta if Rex lands there) I can definetly see us signing a big Dlinman. Anychance you get a super unit - You grab it. Super Unit Dlines win championships. Aaron Rodgers looked like crap in buffalo this year. 

We can win the off-season Super Bowl.

Exactly.

Is it too much to ask that The Jets finally try to put together a championship winning OFFENSE?

Every year I hear about D-line, d-line, d-line.....When it comes to defense I want a secondary and I want a QB and WR's for once. I want the Jets to be known for having a high powered offense FOR ONCE. FOR ONCE GODDAMMIT! :-))

There's no way the Jets are getting either.

JPP is staying the Giants and paying Suh the kings ransom he's going to ask would be absurd.

We have plenty of talent to move to a 4-3 without him..

All signing either one will do is drive up the cost for the jets to sign their own guys. Right now the jets already have a DE miscast as an OLB, If the jets switch to a 4-3 - Coples goes to DE, Babin will play the wide 9 in sub packages, Davis plays the middle and the jets need two OLBs. 

All signing either one will do is drive up the cost for the jets to sign their own guys. Right now the jets already have a DE miscast as an OLB, If the jets switch to a 4-3 - Coples goes to DE, Babin will play the wide 9 in sub packages, Davis plays the middle and the jets need two OLBs. 

Makes sense to me. Great post.

Simple answer is, no.  If our new coach wants to go 4-3 next year we are more than

ready with Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison & Coples.  And it would be the height of

stupidity to use all of our cap flexibility on our DLine and not address the rest of our

needs.  What are we going to do give big $$$ to Wilkerson, Suh & Pierre-Paul???  Give

me a break

the only position to consider overspending at is franchise QB.  None of those coming free.  We have enough DL.

Last thing in the world we should be putting on our wishlist is top tier DL. Unless we're talking about extending the guys we already have.

Holes all over this team, fans cry for change and better roster, and the suggestion? More DL? 

SMH

Right.  Get me a real guard.  A nasty LB.

Seeing a Coples/Wilkerson/Suh/Richardson line would complete my life.

Coples/Wilkerson/Harrison/Richardson would be nearly as good and much cheaper.  Why are we forgetting that Snacks has been an exceptional interior DL?  Other than than that, yeah Suh would be beastly with Wilkerson and Richardson demanding double teams.  Sack Exchange Light.

Some may have interest in two articles changing the pace on coaching/gm search. 

First -- Information/analysis breakdown of what Jets would look like if they made the switch to a 4-3 defense. Includes needs, names to target and more:

[story] Jets making change to 4-3? Could work next year

Second-- Beginning of the year, Detroit Lions DT Ndamukong Suh said he wanted to play in NY. In a 3-4, that wouldn't work. In a 4-3? That's possible. Financially, Jets could afford either him, or Jason Pierre-Paul, with no significant cap hit or impact on Wilkerson/Richardson.  Includes cap numbers, analysis and lineup possibilities + how it could work

[story] Ndamukong Suh, Jason Pierre-Paul to the New York Jets? Not as crazy as you may think

Cool articles. I think my dream line up would be Coples & JPP at DE and Richardson & Wilkerson inside in a 4-3.

However, the more realistic line up would be Coples & Richardson at DE and Harrison and Wilkerson inside, because of long term salary cap ramifications. 4 top dollar d-linemen who are all in their prime is hard to afford. Harrison will be cheaper than Suh or JPP.

There's always JPP & Richardson at DE and Suh and Wilkerson at DT. But 40 million on 4 d linemen is wacky. And what happens to Coples.

Because of their chemistry I'd stick with the 4 guys we have.

Without making any free agent adds to the DL, The best option is to move Coples to a full time 43-DE, put Wilkerson and Richardson inside, with Harrison subbing, and put Babin perm at the other DE spot with IK subbing in on passing downs.

So is Suh

We have holes galore in the secondary and people want to spend $60 million on positions we already have players in

A pass rush masks holes in the secondary. Did either of the Giants SB teams have great secondaries? Or the Ravens?

I'd be elated with Suh. We have zero need for an end, however.

Exactly.

Is it too much to ask that The Jets finally try to put together a championship winning OFFENSE?

Every year I hear about D-line, d-line, d-line.....When it comes to defense I want a secondary and I want a QB and WR's for once. I want the Jets to be known for having a high powered offense FOR ONCE. FOR ONCE GODDAMMIT! :-))

youngun... there was a time in the mid 80's where has that... in fact through 11 games of 1986 we were one of the offenses I've seen

Without making any free agent adds to the DL, The best option is to move Coples to a full time 43-DE, put Wilkerson and Richardson inside, with Harrison subbing, and put Babin perm at the other DE spot with IK subbing in on passing downs.

Totally agree.  We already have a 4-3 Defensive Line ready to go even with edge rushers.  What we would need are two OLB's to sandwich Davis who would be MLB.

This 4-3 3-4 stuff is all total gibberish. Wilkerson and Harrison and Richardson do the exact same things in Rex's defense as they do in Quinn's defense, or Bowles's, or basically any other defense in the league. Everybody plays the same stuff. There are a finite number of functional combinations of gap assignments and line techniques. There was a time when there was a real difference but there really isn't now.

This 4-3 3-4 stuff is all total gibberish. Wilkerson and Harrison and Richardson do the exact same things in Rex's defense as they do in Quinn's defense, or Bowles's, or basically any other defense in the league. Everybody plays the same stuff. There are a finite number of functional combinations of gap assignments and line techniques. There was a time when there was a real difference but there really isn't now.

There is something to playing more 4-man fronts.  Brady is more vulnerable to 4-man fronts and has been most of his career.

It's not just the Giants, the Dolphins have played the best against the Patriots over the years and they've been running 4-3.

Archived