Mort: Dan Quinn the favorite; Marrone "not much of a chance"

T0mShane

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MIGHTY Quinn

If you are happy with Quinn, so am I.

We are all Jet fans and it would be nice if all Jet fans were happy with the hire of the new HC and GM..

Then we can relax and root for the Jets.

I'm all for an end to the bickering about this.

If I were from New Jersey, and I had the option of coaching our horrible fan base or out on the beautiful northwest coast with some of the best fans in football... 

I agree 100%.  Thanks ape for letting us know.  If he is smart, he will follow Cowher, Billichea, Gruden and the many respectable coaches throughout the year that had ignored us.  But then again, he will be a first time coach, he doesn’t know any better, yet.  Look at the ingratitude and hateful against Rex by some of our fans.  Taking a team to two AFCC out of six seasons is a success for most coached, especially his first HC job with not a decent QB.  Things didn’t work out but he brought good things to the Jets, was always loyal and proud to be a Jets.  He was rewarded with loathe, hate, disdain, ridicule and mockery by some of our fans.  Dan Quinn will be crazy to come in here, if he has multiple offer to deal with our fans and no QB in place; unless all the HC position get filled before Seattle is out of contention.   

Trestman available ,Koetter, if new faqlcons coach doesnt want him, greg roman if new 49ers coach doesnt want him, plus new guy could decide to keep MM around IF he thinks Geno has ANY shot

Quinn actually coached with Charlie Weis for a year when he was the DC for the Gators. He would be a solid hire IMO.

Quinn is the BEST OPTION possible for HC. He comes from a winning program where the Head Coach and GM are a tandem and work together. I would prefer Kirchner at GM because they are already used to working together. 

I could see Quinn assembling much of his staff from Seattle promoting a few guys to higher positions. 

If this happens I'll be fine with it. The guy obviously helped coach a great D at minimum (I'm sure Carroll has a lot of input in their D as well) and personally I'm fine with a defensive minded head coach.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quinn is the BEST OPTION possible for HC. He comes from a winning program where the Head Coach and GM are a tandem and work together. I would prefer Kirchner at GM because they are already used to working together. 

I could see Quinn assembling much of his staff from Seattle promoting a few guys to higher positions.

Unfortunately, he can only bring the assistants who are not under contract. So it may take him a season or two to get the guys he really wants here.

Ya know, I got nothing against Quinn per se....but the guys been an NFL coordinator for like 2 years and his coaching resume is thin, at least by usual NFL HC standards.  Maybe he knows his stuff about the O side of the ball, who knows?  Didn't we all just spend 6 years about our HC knowing NOTHING about running an offense?

I remember Parcells when he was here...even though he was a D coach by history, when the Jets one season in the 90's offense was not to his liking the guy had the knowledge to call the offense himself taking the play calling duties from our OC.  I know we're not getting Parcells, but a coach with a more 'well rounded' resume or experience would make me somewhat more happy this time around.

This does have the feel to me a Woody Johnson move...Not the hire...but hiring by the Proccess.

1st - Leak Marrone is the guy and see how the fan base and media react (ultimately wasn't too positive - not overly negative) 

2nd - Leak Quin is the guy and gage the press/public...

Using PR as a factor in who he hires....

Quinn? Eh.

I want a coach with HC experience and he doesn't fit that bill. I think were making a mistake by not hiring a giy w HC wxperience. Also, is he really coaching those animals? Those fickers are blood thirsty savages!

He might be sought after coach, but I'm not enamored cause I haven't really witnessed him out coach someone. Have I?

I'm sorry, but that D is just a bunch of athletic freaks of nature, not coached up over acheivers.

Quinn? Eh.

I want a coach with HC experience and he doesn't fit that bill. I think were making a mistake by not hiring a giy w HC wxperience. Also, is he really coaching those animals? Those fickers are blood thirsty savages!

He might be sought after coach, but I'm not enamored cause I haven't really witnessed him out coach someone. Have I?

I'm sorry, but that D is just a bunch of athletic freaks of nature, not coached up over acheivers.

I have, I see him at practice often. He is very hands on with his players constantly working with them on technique etc. 

This does have the feel to me a Woody Johnson move...Not the hire...but hiring by the Proccess.

1st - Leak Marrone is the guy and see how the fan base and media react (ultimately wasn't too positive - not overly negative) 

2nd - Leak Quin is the guy and gage the press/public...

Using PR as a factor in who he hires....

It could be. Woody likes headlines and every leak gets him in the papers.

How many guys are they interviewing that aren't under contract with someone else? We'd have to get permission to hire anyone for any job other than HC.

And I don't think Marrone would be a good coordinator at all. Too conservative. People are looking for the anti-Rex should be looking for a more aggressive approach on offense. A promoted DC with Marrone as the OC would feel a lot like the ol' ground & pound redux, IMHO.

It should be noted that the Bills Fred Jackson who is considered one of the classier guys in the league said that Marrone was responsible for limiting Hackett to a more conservative offense. 

Ya know, I got nothing against Quinn per se....but the guys been an NFL coordinator for like 2 years and his coaching resume is thin, at least by usual NFL HC standards.  Maybe he knows his stuff about the O side of the ball, who knows?  Didn't we all just spend 6 years about our HC knowing NOTHING about running an offense?

I remember Parcells when he was here...even though he was a D coach by history, when the Jets one season in the 90's offense was not to his liking the guy had the knowledge to call the offense himself taking the play calling duties from our OC.  I know we're not getting Parcells, but a coach with a more 'well rounded' resume or experience would make me somewhat more happy this time around.

look at john harbaughs resume prior to ravens HC

Big issue wifamQuinn is that he wants his own GM, which is a dumb concession. He allegedly submarined the GM candidate Kirchner from Seattle, saying he wanted a more "seasoned" GM.

End of the day, this is probably just that cockroach Tannenbaum using the Jets to boost Quinn's price tag, while Woody uses Tannenbaum to drive Marrone's down.

Sounds like Quinn a prima Donna?  What is his claim to fame outside being Seattle DC with defense coach Carroll?

Other than Mort's one mention of this item this morning, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere which leads me to believe it's bunk

@JasonLaCanfora: Jets still have more candidates to speak to, but I hear Doug Marrone's interview with them did not go well. Dan Quinn well positioned now

Archived