Jets Football Discussion- Guards

BMAN 1

Is the a Pats board or a Jets board? Enough of the Pats talk already. What's done is done. Rise above it now. Just chant Cheaters at every Pats game!

Now, who are the starting guards for the Jets this season?

Is the a Pats board or a Jets board? Enough of the Pats talk already. What's done is done. Rise above it now. Just chant Cheaters at every Pats game!

Now, who are the starting guards for the Jets this season?

I don't think they paid Carpenter that kind of coin to sit him, so he's one guard.  I hope the other is Dozier but who knows? They have about seven guys fighting for one spot.

Carpenter for sure.   The other spot is a real question mark.  Optimally it would be Dozier, or better yet Harrison.  With that said I suspect Colon will at least start the season 

If Super Colon Blow starts the season, whomever is QB is gonna take a lickin'

Gotta tell you folks, I am looking at Harrison as a LT candidate . He's got some developmental time on his plate if I am right.

I've wondered myself if that's the long-term plan for him. 

What I think: Carpenter and Dozier/Aboushi.

What I want: Carpenter and Harrison. 

Harrison has the most physical talent out of probably any guard on the team, except maybe for Carpenter, he just needs to get his ass in gear. 

I'd like to see Dozier get a shot at RT.

Carp is a lock at LG, his backup is Dozier. At RG you have Colon backing up Aboushi.

I've been hearing Carpenter at RG, next to his old Seattle buddy, w/ Colon, Winters & Harrison fighting for  backup and a competition at LG between Aboushi, Dozier & Brewer to start at LG.

Should be an interesting TC.... Hope KRL has his pencils sharpened and his binoculars focused in.

I don't think Harrison is going to be a major factor this early on. Seems like a guy who could use a little development before being thrown to the wolves. My best guess would be Carpenter/Aboushi would be the starters week 1. I'd say that the situation is less-than-ideal should Winters make it through camp. I just feel his upside is too limited and would hope that Harrison shows enough to make him expendable.

I don't see why we'd have carried Ijalana for like two years if we were really looking at any of these guys as tackles. Only thing I could really see is Aboushi at LT in a pinch/disaster.

I thought they may have been grooming Aboushi for swing tackle in 2013, but he was so bad and they seemed to have him slated at G in 2014.  It's hard to say.  This is a new staff and Ijalana, Carpenter, Brewer and Colon have all played tackle and G in the NFL.  The guards were almost all tackles, at least in college - Aboushi, Winters, Dozier.  Funny thing is that people are suggesting Harrison as an LT candidate here and he only played a handful of college games there.  He is one of the few that mostly played G in college.   My dark horse was moving UDFA Davon Walls to the Oline, but it looks like they have him playing defense.

I've been hearing Carpenter at RG, next to his old Seattle buddy, w/ Colon, Winters & Harrison fighting for  backup and a competition at LG between Aboushi, Dozier & Brewer to start at LG.

Should be an interesting TC.... Hope KRL has his pencils sharpened and his binoculars focused in.

This makes sense to me.  Carpenter at RG and competition at LG for the theoretically easier slot between Brick and Mangold.

With their experience in a zone blocking scheme, it would be hard to imagine Carpenter,or Breno, for that matter, failing to win their starting jobs at LG and RT.  Both Carpenter and Breno come from Seattle, where zone blocking was a big part of their offensive gameplan. 

At RG I really hope Colon doesn't win the job.  We need the smartest guy to win that job, not a guy who gets boneheaded penalties every game.  I could see a fierce, open competition.

Carp lined up at LG with Aboushi at RG during voluntary camp, that's also what he played in Seattle so I'm sure that's where he'll end up. Aboushi & Colon were splitting reps at RG with Winters moving to Center.

With their experience in a zone blocking scheme, it would be hard to imagine Carpenter,or Breno, for that matter, failing to win their starting jobs at LG and RT.  Both Carpenter and Breno come from Seattle, where zone blocking was a big part of their offensive gameplan. 

At RG I really hope Colon doesn't win the job.  We need the smartest guy to win that job, not a guy who gets boneheaded penalties every game.  I could see a fierce, open competition.

This is really the only open position on the O-line - I hope Colon doesn't win the job either but he's not a bad fall back option - while not great he's at least competent.  

Archived