Third year breakout for mediocre QB is not unprecedented.

JohnnyLV

Needs to be said. 

Drew Brees after having a red shirt year, was VERY average in his first year, and then regressed in his second causing the Chargers to go all in on Rivers. Living in San Diego I can tell you that early Brees was Geno bad. 

Then he completely breaks out in third year (fourth as a player)

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate                                           2004 San Diego Chargers 15 400 262 65.5 26.7 3,159 7.9 210.6 27 6.8 7 1.8 79T 40 9 18 131 104.8   2003 San Diego Chargers 11 356 205 57.6 32.4 2,108 5.9 191.6 11 3.1 15 4.2 68T 28 5 21 178 67.5   2002 San Diego Chargers 16 526 320 60.8 32.9 3,284 6.2 205.2 17 3.2 16 3.0 52T 40 4 24 180 76.9

Not saying Geno is Brees BUT it is possible for a QB to have the light come on in his third year. And Geno has a lot of things going for him now with no Rex, Marty or David Lee, a great OC in Gailey designing the offense around Geno, and significantly upgraded weapons on offense. 

So far almost everyone is saying he seems to be a different guy. Only practice, but at least for me it gets me excited that maybe we will see our franchise guy emerge this year. (Ducks head as Geno haters line up their barrels)

appreciate the effort in starting the thread but i distinctly remember seeing the same type of threads for sanchez in year three.  sometimes the light switch turns on for these guys and sometimes it just doesnt.  we wont know until he actually is throwing against defenses in meaningful action. (i am however encouraged by the reports out of camp so far)

Needs to be said. 

Drew Brees after having a red shirt year, was VERY average in his first year, and then regressed in his second causing the Chargers to go all in on Rivers. Living in San Diego I can tell you that early Brees was Geno bad. 

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate                                           2004 San Diego Chargers 15 400 262 65.5 26.7 3,159 7.9 210.6 27 6.8 7 1.8 79T 40 9 18 131 104.8   2003 San Diego Chargers 11 356 205 57.6 32.4 2,108 5.9 191.6 11 3.1 15 4.2 68T 28 5 21 178 67.5   2002 San Diego Chargers 16 526 320 60.8 32.9 3,284 6.2 205.2 17 3.2 16 3.0 52T 40 4 24 180 76.9

Not saying Geno is Brees BUT it is possible for a QB to have the light come on in his third year. And Geno has a lot of things going for him now with no Rex, Marty or David Lee, a great OC in Gailey designing the offense around Geno, and significantly upgraded weapons on offense. 

So far almost everyone is saying he seems to be a different guy. Only practice, but at least for me it gets me excited that maybe we will see our franchise guy emerge this year. (Ducks head as Geno haters line up their barrels)

Sorry but Brees was never Geno bad. With Geno it not just about the stats its about the bone headed plays we see much too often.

Needs to be said. 

Those stat lines are not readable.

Needs to be said.

Year

Team

G

Att

Comp

Pct

Att/G

Yds

Avg

Yds/G

TD

TD%

Int

Int%

Lng

20+

40+

San Diego Chargers

79T

San Diego Chargers

68T

San Diego Chargers

52T

Drew Bree's greatness was due to Brian Schottenhiemer. That's how Schotty got the NYJ OC gig, no?

Consistency is key, he hasn't shown any form of it thus far. Hopefully he gets off to a good start this season and he can build off of that. 

Actually, by all accounts he's been much more consistent so far in camp. Something he was not previously. 

In camp previously there was suck, and not as much suck to choose from. 

so theres that

Oh great, another "Geno might be good this year" thread.

Yeah, we should have more "**** Geno, I don't care what's going on in camp, Geno sucks, the team sucks, this season will suck, when will it be hockey/basketball season"

More of those threads please!

:roll:

Needs to be said. 

It's actually not a bad comparison because Brees came out of the spread system as well and took time to adjust, and all but lost his job before he broke out.  He wasn't as bad as Geno (albeit, the numbers are close) because they had a great running back in LT taking away attention from the receivers.

The biggest factor in Brees improving, IMO, was the emergence of Antonio Gates as a go to option.  Once, Gates emerged as an option, Brees really took off because now defenses couldn't focus just on LT, had to pick and choose, at which point the offense gains advantage.  I think that's the idea behind Marshall, so the defense can't hone in on the running back, and then allow the QB to prosper.  

Obviously, Geno improving is the best case scenario, and there are plenty of indicators that say he will fail, but others have turned it around as well.  It's his pre-snap readings that bear importance in the pre-season this year, because running the spread allowed Brees to call plays and change plays at the line, helping him recognize defenses.  I want to see if Geno has made that progression, a better ability to slide protection, or identify the blitzer at the line of scrimmage.  It's harder to do in a normal base offense, because the defense mixes and matches based on the situation and can hide it better (why we always had trouble with hurry up offenses under Rex) but in a fast paced spread, the giveaways are easier to read.  

I have no idea if Geno will turn the corner, I'm hopeful & he obviously he has shown flashes. What I don't understand are the Jet fans that are dead set on saying he will fail.

If your going to only give a young QB 2 years under a QB killer like Rex and zero weapons most would fail. Jet fans would have wanted to cut QBs like Steve Young, Brees, Favre, Bradshaw, and many more.

I admire the fact Geno has been knocked down, trashed by the media & the fans but keeps getting up, dusting himself off, and fighting again. I don't think the casual fan realizes the type of pressure that comes with being a QB in NY.

Our fans demand perfection which is impossible. Geno could come out in the opening game & hit 10 passes in a row and the 1st time he overthrows a WR you get the grumblers & booers.

I don't think it's ever right to attack a human personally with foul language and name calling but some fans thrive on this practice.

It's what makes going to games uncomfortable for Parents and their children.

It's like going to a sporting event gives people a license to be a huge azzhole. It's the "I paid my money" syndrome.

Good luck Geno, I'll be cheering for you as long as your wearing that Jet logo.

Geno Smith's career record against Drew Brees is 1-0

Not as impressive as Mark Sanchez playoff record. I remember when people were using that to justify him being a top Qb.

Either Jet secondary isn't as good as advertised , or they are very basic ( making the reads simple) on defense. Why Geno Smith looks better this year. Only time you will know if Geno Smith turned the corner is when you see him play in the regular season.( Browning Nagle look like a franchise Qb in the preseason too- vanilla defense)

These remind me of the threads on how mark sanchez was on the same career path as eli manning and was on schedule to win a super bowl in year 4.

Geno and drew brees in the same sentence. Hahahahaha. Keep up the good work boys.

So you don't have a single reason why he can't follow the same path just he won't. Because.

Because if he does it makes you and all the other Nostradamus' chuckling and making fun of your own QB look stupid?

Not as impressive as Mark Sanchez playoff record. I remember when people were using that to justify him being a top Qb.

Either Jet secondary isn't as good as advertised , or they are very basic ( making the reads simple) on defense. Why Geno Smith looks better this year. Only time you will know if Geno Smith turned the corner is when you see him play in the regular season.( Browning Nagle look like a franchise Qb in the preseason too- vanilla defense)

Or Geno has gotten better.

Why not stick to telling everyone that every player on the Raiders is pro bowl material. Having the fool who told me that J Russel would be not only a franchise QB but would be an elite top of the league QB heading into the season he was cut means you don't tell anyone anything about QBs. Nagle or anyone.

I have no idea if Geno will turn the corner, I'm hopeful & he obviously he has shown flashes. What I don't understand are the Jet fans that are dead set on saying he will fail.

If your going to only give a young QB 2 years under a QB killer like Rex and zero weapons most would fail. Jet fans would have wanted to cut QBs like Steve Young, Brees, Favre, Bradshaw, and many more.

I admire the fact Geno has been knocked down, trashed by the media & the fans but keeps getting up, dusting himself off, and fighting again. I don't think the casual fan realizes the type of pressure that comes with being a QB in NY.

Our fans demand perfection which is impossible. Geno could come out in the opening game & hit 10 passes in a row and the 1st time he overthrows a WR you get the grumblers & booers.

I don't think it's ever right to attack a human personally with foul language and name calling but some fans thrive on this practice.

It's what makes going to games uncomfortable for Parents and their children.

It's like going to a sporting event gives people a license to be a huge azzhole. It's the "I paid my money" syndrome.

Good luck Geno, I'll be cheering for you as long as your wearing that Jet logo.

=D>

If he breaks out, he will be mediocre.

Exactly. Even if Geno improves, his ceiling is still an average to below average QB. Of course Geno is improving. You can't get any worse than the worst starting QB in the league. If Geno can be a top 25 QB this team has a legit chance at the playoffs. He will make or break this team.

Sorry but Brees was never Geno bad. With Geno it not just about the stats its about the bone headed plays we see much too often.

Yes he was. That too with LT Catching 100 passes (2003). What interesting is Bree's was light years better the Year Antonio Gates emerged as a top TE (2004). He was piss poor to say the least. How do you think they had the top pick?

Consistency is key, he hasn't shown any form of it thus far. Hopefully he gets off to a good start this season and he can build off of that.

I think he was pretty good in December of 2013 and played at a near pro bowl level in December 2014 (when he had two good healthy WRs - coincident?). Pretty consistent with the right supporting cast.

So you don't have a single reason why he can't follow the same path just he won't. Because.

Because if he does it makes you and all the other Nostradamus' chuckling and making fun of your own QB look stupid?

You're right. Its obvious Geno is the next drew brees. I just went and announced it at the water cooler at work and was laughed out of the office and sent home for the day. Damn you!

I'd be more surprised if Geno didn't take a step forward in Gailey's system. For the first time in his pro career he'll have an OC catering an offense to his strengths. Add in Marshall, a 2nd year with Decker, and a (hopefully) emerging TE in Amaro and there's no reason his #s shouldn't improve. That said, I don't think the boneheaded mistakes will magically disappear. If he can limit them through better pre snap reads, and reaction better when under pressure, there's no reason to think Geno can't become an adequate QB... which is probably going to be his ceiling.

Archived