Geno Smith Punched by IK, out 6-10 weeks. All discussion here (MERGED)

the flaw here is there is not one shred of statistical or observational evidence that fitz is any worse than geno.  last year's stats - fitz way better.  career stats - fitz better.  for the month of september, there's really no difference who starts.  the main gripe from geno supporters is that geno was going to become a good qb, and though we'd still like to think this could occur, the odds are against it.

Then why are fans HAPPY that Geno is out?  If Fitz is only "not worse" than Geno, then this is neither a win or loss for us.  But most fans are actually happy about this.  Happy.  They feel we were just made a better team because Geno is gone.  If that's the case then our coaching staff is full of idiots because no matter how great or offseason was they were ready to toss it away starting an inferior QB that THYE thought was better.

No, no, no.  You don't understand.

Smith was booed because he's the last remaining fragment of the brutal Idzik/Ryan era that Macca wasn't able to sweep away this offseason.  I myself couldn't get too excited no matter how much Mike and Todd have done so far that was good because the specter of seeing Geno under center pulled it all back in, left me lukewarm.

Like it or not, the average Jets fan is excited about this season as of today.  No Geno Smith experiment to drag us to a 1-3 start, we may actually make some postseason noise this year.  Like seeing Ryan and Sanchez on Opening Day 2009, this year's Cleveland game will be a very joyful occasion indeed.

SAR I

Just because you drive a used 2002 5 series doesn't mean that you have the finger on the pulse of the "average Jets fan".  Now give your shtick a rest you mockery.

• Upvote 1

Houston had a better record without fitz than they did with him .. Try again

He had a 6-5 as starter when he went down. They went 2-1 without him.  Someone is putting an awful lot of stock in a small sample size.  I choose to look at the big picture.  All of Fitz's numbers suggest he is average.  Nothing more, nothing less, and certainly not terrible.

Ask Stevie Johnson and Kendall Wright if he's any good.  Johnson has done nada in the league since leaving Buffalo and Kendall Wright went from having a 95 catch season to about 60 catches without him.

• Upvote 1

Then again, there is always the possibility that Fitz gets hurt or just flat out sucks and they start Geno when he returns. ;-)

Absolutely a possibility

They may start Geno Smith when he is back even if Fitz DOESN'T suck.

They'll do what they think is best, we fans can only agree or disagree with those decisions.

I haven't been for that long, but that typically is my default reaction to everything.

This time, though... I feel different. Maybe because this was so unexpected, and I was trying to feel optimistic about the season. This really shakes things up. People think it's good because that means Fitz will start, but what it really does is remove options. I believe that Bowles would have benched Geno if things got too bad with him, but if Geno is out, and Fitz does poorly, who the **** is Bowles gonna put in then? Petty? All I've heard is that he's not ready. Now, if this were half-way through LAST season, I most DEFINITELY would have laughed.

honestly lewts split the difference and say geno is out 8 weeks. if fitz plays poorly the first 4 games then geno comes in. ig geno is still as bad as he was his first 2 years then i'd guess they might give petty a shot for the last 4 games or so to see wat he can do and then decide what to do about going all-in on a qb for next year

Many of us believe that Geno Smith is what he is and he's not going to improve.

And after 2 suck years from Sanchez and 2 suck years from Smith we've had it up to here with patience at the QB position. If Geno Smith was going to show something we'd have seen it by now. No one wants to see a kid hurt, but we season ticket holders have paid him millions to ruin our Sunday's and now we get to see a fresh face in here and that's a good thing.

SAR I

I hear you , can't blame those who are done with him. Me personally I was willing to give him a shot with the new coaching staff, with a quick hook....but I can't blame those who weren't .

I don't think they are "idiots".

I do, however, think they were wrong.

Lotta real estate between "wrong on one decision" and "idiots".

He was outplaying fitz in training camp . From coaches to teammates where excited about his play in Canp this year .

So the whole team must be wrong

Geno has atleast led a team past 6 wins and it may have been one of the worst teams ever constructed

geno didn't lead, he was on the team that did it with an easy schedule.  the reality is flipping these qbs doesn't really make a difference.  geno isn't suddenly going to elevate his completion % to 65%, or turn his td/int ratio to 2/1.  the jets can come out of september with a decent record if the team plays well, and then they have a bye to figure the qb situation out.  geno is not an emerging star, he's a 3rd year qb who is a few bad games out of being benched and cut by the jets.  

I don't agree with that at all.  He could have been in IK's face defending his player, you don't know that.  Or it could have been stupid sh*t.  Who knows, that's not the point.  The point is a huge litany of Jets fans are convinced we suddenly became a better team because Geno's gone, and if they really think that's the case then they have to believe this front office is a bunch of idiots.  Maybe they are, who knows. 

I had the impression that Woody was high on Geno.

Absolutely a possibility

They may start Geno Smith when he is back even if Fitz DOESN'T suck.

They'll do what they think is best, we fans can only agree or disagree with those decisions.

Sure but if Fitz is playing well and the team is winning I don't see him being replaced.  I think the majority of fans would storm the field if that happened lol. 

Then why are fans HAPPY that Geno is out?  If Fitz is only "not worse" than Geno, then this is neither a win or loss for us.  But most fans are actually happy about this.  Happy.  They feel we were just made a better team because Geno is gone.  If that's the case then our coaching staff is full of idiots because no matter how great or offseason was they were ready to toss it away starting an inferior QB that THYE thought was better.

because more jet fans have made up their mind on geno, who was drafted by the jets.  sometimes getting rid of someone is more fun than watching the new guy.

He had a 6-5 as starter when he went down. They went 2-1 without him.  Someone is putting an awful lot of stock in a small sample size.  I choose to look at the big picture.  All of Fitz's numbers suggest he is average.  Nothing more, nothing less, and certainly not terrible.

Ask Stevie Johnson and Kendall Wright if he's any good.  Johnson has done nada in the league since leaving Buffalo and Kendall Wright went from having a 95 catch season to about 60 catches without him.

All his numbers also say his head and shoulders above Geno in every category too I think...I hope we can get decent play out of him because this D will win games for us, 

I don't think they are "idiots".

I do, however, think they were wrong.

Lotta real estate between "wrong on one decision" and "idiots".

They brought in a ton of great FA's, had what seems like a great draft, ad ere going to throw it away starting some guy that they couldn't see was way worse than the backup FA they signed.  Sorry, that would make them idiots. 

• Thumb Down 1

You mean like Geno?

When the standard for QBs is three years, and all indications were he was having a great camp and looked poised to break out it actaully is reasonable to defend him. When he is unfortunately head and shoulders better than anything else, it actually isn't so stupid to defend and root for him. What ISN'T reasonable is trying to compare the development of DTs and OLBs to QBs. It's almost as ridiculous as defending the massive busts that were D-Slob and Ghost.

• Upvote 1

Kind of funny that the same fans who asked for a lot of blind hope for Geno are totally comfortable with ignoring actual numbers that suggest Fitz might have a good year.  Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Jace Amaro are going to like having him as their QB, just watch.

Also those saying geno haters were not real jets fans have no problem being fitz haters

When the standard for QBs is three years, and all indications were he was having a great camp and looked poised to break out it actaully is reasonable to defend him. When he is unfortunately head and shoulders better than anything else, it actually isn't so stupid to defend and root for him. What ISN'T reasonable is trying to compare the development of DTs and OLBs to QBs. It's almost as ridiculous as defending the massive busts that were D-Slob and Ghost.

Opinions are a funny thing arent they? Your own always seem well reasoned.

I don't agree with that at all.  He could have been in IK's face defending his player, you don't know that.  Or it could have been stupid sh*t.  Who knows, that's not the point.  The point is a huge litany of Jets fans are convinced we suddenly became a better team because Geno's gone, and if they really think that's the case then they have to believe this front office is a bunch of idiots.  Maybe they are, who knows. 

This has never happened before. I'm gonna go with my gut and say Geno wasn't innocently standing by his locker when he got punched out of nowhere. Bowles even said the were BOTH arguing. Leaders dont get dragged into stuff like that.

anything that gets Geno off the field is good news. Those who had deluded themselves into thinking he'd be better, sorry but you are wrong. Geno is garbage. This should have been a real competition from day 1.  Hopefully Smith never plays a down for the Jets again. 

Geno haters notwithstanding, he had played MUCH better than Fitz in camp so far.

Also those saying geno haters were not real jets fans have no problem being fitz haters

Yep.  "Fitz sucks, season's over."

Hmm.  Pretty sure the season was over WITH Geno already if QB play was the only standard by which a season being "over" before it starts is judged......

• Upvote 1

He was stuck with the Bills and Titans, who were terrible, and finally had a little bit of success with Houston before getting hurt.  There was already a thread on JN debunking this myth that Fitzpatrick is some terrible loser.  The numbers say he's about an average QB, plain and simple.  Laugh at that all you want, but we haven't gotten even that level of play out of our QB in any season in over 6 years, Geno included.  The minute Brett Favre tore his bicep in Week 11 of 2008, our QB play has been in the gutter. 

Fitz is a professional who can take charge of a huddle.  He also made some of his receivers (Stevie Johnson and Kendall Wright in particular) look really good for multiple seasons.  I'm interested to see what he'll do with a talented roster and under an Offensive Coordinator who he put up good numbers playing under.

the Bills were very talented, they got off t a great start in 2011, he got a new contract then we crushed him and he folded.

he's a #s guy, a guy like a Kyle orton type.  will put up decent enough #s to make fans want him but the reality is he isn't very good.  throwing a Td in garbage time doesn't impress me.

Fitz, like orton and a Matt Moore, is a good backup nothing more. 

He was outplaying fitz in training camp . From coaches to teammates where excited about his play in Canp this year .

So the whole team must be wrong

Camp isn't the regular season, and camp comments mean very very little to me.

But I'm happy to say I think they're all wrong, that Fitz is/was the superior option at QB regardless of what his teammates or the staff believe.

Everything about Geno was projection, what people "think" he "could" be if only X, Y or Z happened.

Whats real is what Geno was in 2013 and 2014.  The worst QB in the NFL hands down.

I refuse to lament woulda, coulda, shoulda.  I would not wish him hurt, nor anyone hurt, thats utterly classless (with the personal exception of Mike Vick).

But now that his mouth apparently wrote a check his egg-jaw couldn't cash, I'm going to be excited that the QB I think is better will get to play.

Could I be dead wrong?  Ab-so-LUTE-ly I could be.  I backed Patrick Ramsey once too.  I've been wrong before, clearly.

But frankly, so have all the "wait, this will be his year, just you see" guys who said all the same things about Sanchez, and before him, Pennington (post-injury).

It's all opinion till they players prove it, or not. 

• Upvote 1

the QB influences wins and losses more than any player. 

Doesn't mean you're allowed to look at pure W's and L's in a vacuum as evidence for why a QB is good or bad.  Very few QB's have played with defenses as consistently good as Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith got to play with from 2009-2014.  On the other side of the coin, the FIRST defense Fitz has been paired with that was any good were the 2014 Texans.  By and large Fitz has done his job well in this league, putting up 20+ points in games many times (I believe somewhere north of 80 times in his career) yet his defenses have failed him time and again.  Meanwhile guys like Sanchez and Geno have had great defenses yet still found ways to f*ck up.

In other words, over his career, Fitzpatrick has given his teams a much better chance to win than schmucks like Sanchez and Geno, who indeed are very much in the same category of QB.  The numbers show that to be true.

• Upvote 1

because more jet fans have made up their mind on geno, who was drafted by the jets.  sometimes getting rid of someone is more fun than watching the new guy.

So you're saying the fans are wrong, or the FO is wrong?  You seem to be onboard with the Jets becoming a better team today, but now you're hedging bets.