Woody denies link between football and CTE

RoadFan

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/28/more-owners-dispute-jeff-millers-admission-of-cte-football-link/

More owners dispute Jeff Miller’s admission of CTE-football link

Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2016, 10:58 AM EDT

The NFL has a problem.

Well, to be clear, the NFL has plenty of problems. But our insatiable appetite for NFL football allows the sport to thrive in spite of itself, at times. Still, it will become harder for the NFL to thrive if the cats who run the league can’t find a way to herd themselves on the question of the link between football and Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy and the various other issues and potential links that flow from it.

Two weeks ago, NFL executive V.P. of player health and safety Jeff Miller admitted to the existence of a link between CTE and football. And the rest of the league office has not disputed that, as explained last week by Commissioner Roger Goodell.

“We think the statements that have been made through Jeff Miller and others have been consistent with our position over the years,” Goodell said.

Still, some owners have decided to take issue with the official position from the entity that is supposed to bring all teams together.

“I can’t say I agree with that comment,” Colts owner Jim Irsay told Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal regarding Miller’s remarks. “To say you know all of a sudden there is a suicide or a murder, and to say, ‘Oh, that is football.’ I mean, that is completely ludicrous. It’s not just true. There is so much we don’t know. Whether you are dealing with Alzheimer’s, whether dealing with contact sports with concussions that can come into play, you know, we don’t know enough about it.”

Jets owner Woody Johnson used softer terms to reach the same conclusion.

“I am not in a position [to opine on the link between CTE and football],” Johnson said, via Kaplan. “I am a layman. [Jeff Miller] is a layman as well.”

Both Irsay and Johnson seem to be blurring the line between linking CTE and football and linking CTE with specific cognitive issues or other health problems. The more accurate statement is that, yes, there’s a link between CTE and football but, no, we still don’t know what it all means.

Irsay thinks that the uproar comes from those who hope to capitalize on the popularity of the sport — and the notoriety of the subject.

“Football is so popular, people know they can sell their story in a newspaper form or a rating on TV, so they use football because what they are more about in the business of, you know, selling newspapers or seeing commercial time on TV,” Irsay said. “I see it for what it is, man. I stand there and look at it as a grandfather and someone who has been around for 50 years and sure, part of it is frustrating, but everyone has their own self-motivating motive, and that just happens.”

The problem is that the NFL’s “self-motivating motive” continues to be the preservation of a billion-dollar business. Which causes folks like Irsay to make claims that many see as not credible.

“One thing I have always felt strongly about, that [is] to say, ‘Oh, someone knew something and they didn’t tell way back in the ’60s or ’70s,’ that’s just not true,” Irsay said. “I was there. I know that’s a lie. You know, no one knew anything. The only thing we know and always knew is when you strap on that helmet and go out on the field, boy you know you are taking a risk, but the reward is something. It’s worth it.”

Irsay is flat-out wrong on this. It’s been proven and accepted that the NFL, via the efforts of the Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee and acting on a “self-motivating motive,” downplayed and ignored at best and covered up and lied about at worst the risks of head trauma from 1994 until perhaps as late as October 2009, when the NFL had an epiphany provoked by a Congressional hearing on the issue. With Irsay spouting off what can fairly be characterized as nonsense regarding one of the darkest chapters in league history, it’s hard not to wonder what else is being downplayed, ignored, covered up, and/or lied about now.

It’s also hard to understand why the NFL doesn’t do a better job of pushing talking points to the owners and forcing them to parrot them. During and prior to the lockout, owners were forced to keep quiet, under threat of six-figure fines. On an issue much more important to the long-term viability of the league, why does 345 Park Avenue let the owners keep talking — especially when what they’re saying doesn’t mesh with the league’s broader message?

Can't really blame Woody for that. It's like if an Apple store manager said there was a link between the working conditions at Apple factories and the high rate of throwing yourself off a building just to be accepted into the cold, loving embrace of death. Because you know that if they did, Tim Cook would hurl them off a building and then use their skin as an iphone cover.

At a loss what anyone expects him to say. Anyone who has played football knows that big strong men running into other big strong men at high rate of speed is going to result in collisions and injuries.Being theY will not eliminate helmets,  they need to design helmets that have a soft exterior. Steve Kelso and Gene Upshaw both played with such huge soft coverings over their standard helmets. And the penalty for leading with your helmet needs to be enforced and a zero tolerance thing. 

I say this as someone who didn't play any higher than Pop Warner, but have had 2 sons play high school, one of whom has a shot at playing in college. Any sport has the potential for injuries. My cousin's son sustained a serious concussion playing high school soccer goalie to the point he has to wear special glasses,and has missed most of the season because of vision and headache issues. I wouldn't stop either my son nor my nephew from playing competitive sports.      

Simply the attack on football is a complete PC BS witchhunt. And it has the same whiff of politicians making cheap points as did the big worry about MLB guys using steroids. The US is $19 trillion in debt and in 2 unending wars. This is is the big problem our supposed betters wish to spend their time and our money on? As if all our other problems are solved. WHAT CRAP.

11 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Refusal to acknowledge is the same as denial.

1. No it isn't. He's saying he's a layman, which he is. If he opined that he's not convinced yet, then that would be denial. It's a bit of a 'I'm not saying yes but I'm not saying no either; I'm not saying anything other than I'm not a scientist so my stipulation is medically worthless no matter how I respond." It IS a chickensh*t cop-out answer, but it's technically a truthful one (since it's unlikely he's personally done any valid medical research on the subject), and anyone who expects a stronger self-incriminating type answer from an NFL owner lives in a dream land and/or has a child's naiveté.

2. Are there still any NFL players that are ignorant to this as well? They don't have to play either. Or is everyone responsible for the players' decisions except the players themselves?

This isn't the prior age of successful cover-up anymore. By now, everyone knows this can be "bad for your head" including those doing the head-banging themselves, who have decided the reward is worth the risk. Likely because it doesn't cause CTE for everyone. 

If he'd said something to the effect of, "I've seen all the research that's been made public and I'm still not convinced there's the slightest link," then that would be a refusal to acknowledge equivalent to a denial.

For someone who has that amount of involvement and assets in the medical/health industry, woody would be a complete hypocrite if he publicly admitted that he believes there's a link between football and CTE while he's the owner of an NFL team

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/28/more-owners-dispute-jeff-millers-admission-of-cte-football-link/

More owners dispute Jeff Miller’s admission of CTE-football link

Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2016, 10:58 AM EDT

The NFL has a problem.

Well, to be clear, the NFL has plenty of problems. But our insatiable appetite for NFL football allows the sport to thrive in spite of itself, at times. Still, it will become harder for the NFL to thrive if the cats who run the league can’t find a way to herd themselves on the question of the link between football and Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy and the various other issues and potential links that flow from it.

Two weeks ago, NFL executive V.P. of player health and safety Jeff Miller admitted to the existence of a link between CTE and football. And the rest of the league office has not disputed that, as explained last week by Commissioner Roger Goodell.

“We think the statements that have been made through Jeff Miller and others have been consistent with our position over the years,” Goodell said.

Still, some owners have decided to take issue with the official position from the entity that is supposed to bring all teams together.

“I can’t say I agree with that comment,” Colts owner Jim Irsay told Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal regarding Miller’s remarks. “To say you know all of a sudden there is a suicide or a murder, and to say, ‘Oh, that is football.’ I mean, that is completely ludicrous. It’s not just true. There is so much we don’t know. Whether you are dealing with Alzheimer’s, whether dealing with contact sports with concussions that can come into play, you know, we don’t know enough about it.”

Jets owner Woody Johnson used softer terms to reach the same conclusion.

“I am not in a position [to opine on the link between CTE and football],” Johnson said, via Kaplan. “I am a layman. [Jeff Miller] is a layman as well.”

Both Irsay and Johnson seem to be blurring the line between linking CTE and football and linking CTE with specific cognitive issues or other health problems. The more accurate statement is that, yes, there’s a link between CTE and football but, no, we still don’t know what it all means.

Irsay thinks that the uproar comes from those who hope to capitalize on the popularity of the sport — and the notoriety of the subject.

“Football is so popular, people know they can sell their story in a newspaper form or a rating on TV, so they use football because what they are more about in the business of, you know, selling newspapers or seeing commercial time on TV,” Irsay said. “I see it for what it is, man. I stand there and look at it as a grandfather and someone who has been around for 50 years and sure, part of it is frustrating, but everyone has their own self-motivating motive, and that just happens.”

The problem is that the NFL’s “self-motivating motive” continues to be the preservation of a billion-dollar business. Which causes folks like Irsay to make claims that many see as not credible.

“One thing I have always felt strongly about, that [is] to say, ‘Oh, someone knew something and they didn’t tell way back in the ’60s or ’70s,’ that’s just not true,” Irsay said. “I was there. I know that’s a lie. You know, no one knew anything. The only thing we know and always knew is when you strap on that helmet and go out on the field, boy you know you are taking a risk, but the reward is something. It’s worth it.”

Irsay is flat-out wrong on this. It’s been proven and accepted that the NFL, via the efforts of the Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee and acting on a “self-motivating motive,” downplayed and ignored at best and covered up and lied about at worst the risks of head trauma from 1994 until perhaps as late as October 2009, when the NFL had an epiphany provoked by a Congressional hearing on the issue. With Irsay spouting off what can fairly be characterized as nonsense regarding one of the darkest chapters in league history, it’s hard not to wonder what else is being downplayed, ignored, covered up, and/or lied about now.

It’s also hard to understand why the NFL doesn’t do a better job of pushing talking points to the owners and forcing them to parrot them. During and prior to the lockout, owners were forced to keep quiet, under threat of six-figure fines. On an issue much more important to the long-term viability of the league, why does 345 Park Avenue let the owners keep talking — especially when what they’re saying doesn’t mesh with the league’s broader message?

Woody didn't deny it he just said he isn't an expert and doesn't know. Of course this is an issue that threatens the entire future of the NFL. It's serious business and billions of dollars. If playing football 100% leads to brain injuries. Owners could be open to lawsuits that could destroy the league. 

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Just get rid of helmets. These idiots think they're missles.*

* I'm a doctor btw. Doctor Mantis Toboggan

Call it a link, an association, a causality - the bottom line is if you want to reduce the severity of concussions and sub clinical brain trauma you have to reduce the quality of the equipment and get rid of the  "protective" helmet - this will reduce the speed and reckless aggressiveness. If your face or head is vulnerable you self protect. No matter what the quality of helmet if you smash your head into an incoming object at a certain speed your skull may be protected but your brain still accelerates/decelerates within the skull which causes potential brain damage.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I had a concussion this week and it sucked. I can't imagine suffering two, three, or four of these within the span of a three month period. 

Did you really?

I am all for a good Woody Roast but:

That reads a lot differently to me than the thread title. 

6 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Refusal to acknowledge is the same as denial.

Admitting that you are a layman in a subject doesn't mean you are refusing to acknowledge anything.  It means he isn't in a position to know either way.  

But ever popular blame the owner immediately approach always works for some

On the helmet note....

These guys really don't know how to tackle anymore, especially D backs. The throw their head and shoulder at the receiver's knees. That's not a tackle. 

I played HS football and that's my limited knowledge of tackling. That said, I know what's going on now isn't called a tackle. It's also, probably, a big reason for why these guys can't walk at 40.  Never mind the head issues.

Leather helmets and no face masks might slow down 90% of the human missles. Take your choice false teeth and a crooked nose or severe brain trauma. Long term NFL has a popularity problem...

I recently pushed my youngest grandson towards baseball. He's built like a stump and I told my son "built like Johnny Bench! Let's teach him to be a catcher!" Rather than "built like a LB'er" I said for my oldest grandson 15 years ago, who played football in HS, but followed his real passion, rowing/crew into college. 

Take it from an older guy your health is worth more than anything $ can buy.

On 4/4/2016 at 1:15 AM, Maxman said:

I am all for a good Woody Roast but:

That reads a lot differently to me than the thread title. 

Agreed. THAT is the proper response from an owner. yet...someone, somewhere thinks he denied a correlation.

I blame the MODS at Jet Nation for allowing this thread.  That is tantamount agreement that there is no relationship between brain injury and posting on fan sites.

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Agreed. THAT is the proper response from an owner. yet...someone, somewhere thinks he denied a correlation.

I blame the MODS at Jet Nation for allowing this thread.  That is tantamount agreement that there is no relationship between brain injury and posting on fan sites.

Lol, Awesome. 

On 4/3/2016 at 7:36 PM, SenorGato said:

Just get rid of helmets. These idiots think they're missles.*

* I'm a doctor btw. Doctor Mantis Toboggan

+1 I totally agree the players are hurting each other.. Cops don't shoot each other and then claim it's the jobs fault..LOL

On 4/4/2016 at 8:33 PM, Bugg said:

Simply the attack on football is a complete PC BS witchhunt.

It's not a witchhunt or even an attack on football. It's science catching up and providing insight that wasn't there before. 

as for Woody he once said he'd rather have his favorite politician at the time be President than the Jets win a Super Bowl. So this statement is not surprising. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

It's not a witchhunt or even an attack on football. It's science catching up and providing insight that wasn't there before. 

as for Woody he once said he'd rather have his favorite politician at the time be President than the Jets win a Super Bowl. So this statement is not surprising. 

Disagree with the former. Anyone who has ever watched or played football knows it's a collision sport and injuries are a serious likelihood. But also between lax helmet technology development and a complete failure to enforce head fouls the NFL has done little to cut the risks. Heck, until recently they still used big hits in highlight films they or their partners sold to the public. 

But agree that Woody Johnson is in fact a Lucky Sperm Club dolt. 

Archived