Bowles: Fitz to start Sunday vs. NE

jetscrazey

15 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

The NEP defense just lost both Jamie Collins and Alan Branch and wasn't great to begin with

Belichick is a great defensive playcaller but his defenses have been lit up by JAG QB's when he didn't have the personnel

He's been doing this kind of stuff for years,. Getting rid of players. And not paying them when their contract comes up. Why he gets rid of Collins during the season I don't know. He also just benched one of their better pass rushers. But he has a strategy for team building and a great D scheme. I wouldn't throw Petty into that right now. Plus I want a chance to win. 

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Petty is not ready for the NEP defense don't you get that. Put him in a position where he could have some success to build on. Not something that could lead to failure. I think that's the thinking here, If you read what Bowles said Petty will get his chance again. 

That's gotta be it.  New England could be a blowout loss and set the kid back.  Put Fitz up there vs the Pats then let Petty finish the season to see what he can do.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he's this bad now, after so many more game-weeks of absorbing the things defenses do (the things he's confused by on the field), then why did the Jets give him a roster spot when he was so easy to IR in August? I don't accept that he's become worse, in this regard, than he was 2 months prior. 

They gave him 1 start, without taking all the practice snaps with the receivers he'd be throwing to, yielding half the snaps or more to Fitzpatrick in those practices, and then that's it. Someone who doesn't follow this coach, and doesn't know better, could guess he was sabotaging his young QB to justify starting "his" guy 2 weeks later when he's fully healed up.

This 1000%

It is simple keeping guys on your roster who you know can't get on the field to play hurts your team.  

Why keep Petty if he sucks when you were carrying 3 QBs already.  

Jets football ? 

8 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

That's gotta be it.  New England could be a blowout loss and set the kid back.  Put Fitz up there vs the Pats then let Petty finish the season to see what he can do.

I don't think we're going to get blown out with Fitz. Unless Brady destroys our defense. Who have looked better lately. This should be a competitive game (I hope). 

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Wut?  The Rams defense is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than the pats defense.

yeah, i don't see anything so great about the patsie defense.  their corners are suspect and if the refs call a fair game (meaning flag the patsies for holding and picks) then things get real even real fast.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This 1000%

It is simple keeping guys on your roster who you know can't get on the field to play hurts your team.  

Why keep Petty if he sucks when you were carrying 3 QBs already.  

Jets football ? 

Petty showed enough in pre-season to keep a roster spot and be a possible contender for the starting job next season. I think the Jets will sign a vet Qb to compete with him. If a guy like Romo then no Qb competition it's Tony's job. But Romo is extremely injury prone.  As for Hack he could end up being the big surprise of all of them.

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The worst thing a Qb can do after a pick 6 and probably even stupider is a red zone turnover, Mark Sanchez's specialty. And Fitz has done it a lot this year. So I have no problem getting rid of him. After that it's inability to move an offense which is what you got with Petty. I'm not for using regular season as a try out. As for Petty vs NEP he isn't going to figure them out. Give this game and Indy to Fitz and if we lose both of them then start Petty. 

in all fairness, he is having trouble because decker went out and the oline isn't that good.

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I honestly don't think the locker room was a major part of this decision.

I think the decision was ultimately a simple one. Petty is terrible (I/we don't know that-but the coaching staff/GM do)

That would depress me more than I already am.

It would explain his recent engagement, however.

SAR I

25 minutes ago, rangerous said:

in all fairness, he is having trouble because decker went out and the oline isn't that good.

Look I'm a well established Fitz fan and taken my shots for months from Fitz haters who in my opinion are irrational. And there are probably plenty of reasons for his bad season. The first is the holdout which made no sense. It kept him away from the team when he could have been practicing with them most of the off season. And then when the season started the defense played bad, real bad. And any Qb who has to play two scores or more from behind is behind the eight ball. It often spells picks. Like what happened on week 17. But he threw red zone picks like the one he tossed up against Miami and those are hard to excuse. As for Decker it was a big loss but our rookie Wrs have played very well. OK one guy fumbled a ball which basically led to one loss. We lost another game by a missed point after and missed short FG,.And then against Miami on a punt return for a TD after a penalty. Last weeks game if Fitz is the Qb I think we would have won it. The Jets could easily be 6-4. But Fitz is a goner. He's not coming back next season. 

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I honestly don't think the locker room was a major part of this decision.

I think the decision was ultimately a simple one. Petty is terrible (I/we don't know that-but the coaching staff/GM do)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If they thought he was terrible why did they choose to keep 4 Qbs to start the year? You  had a healthy Fitz/Geno. So there was no need to keep Petty around unless they thought he had potential. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Even in a vacuum, it was an indefensible pick. Prescott turning into Russell Wilson 2.0 is just God twisting the knife a little.

11 weeks into his pro career, Dak Prescott has 17 TD passes.  I'm actually somewhat comfortable with the idea that that is more than Hackenberg will have in his entire pro career.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Petty is not ready for the NEP defense don't you get that. Put him in a position where he could have some success to build on. Not something that could lead to failure. I think that's the thinking here, If you read what Bowles said Petty will get his chance again. 

I would think if the Jets lose to NE there's an excellent chance Petty starts the following week, I suppose unless Fitz somehow had no hand in the loss.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Or he's saying that unfortunately no one has taken Fitzs job away 

Irrelevant standard to set.

When a player plays as terribly as Fitz, Revis, or Mo Wilk have this season. You sit them down. It's not about giving them job security while pretending that someone needs to jump up and snatch their job away. It's about telling them they are not above demotion. There's a reason everything has digressed this season. These 3 players are prime examples of it. 

There's no accountability.

I don't want to hear about how Petty didn't take Fitz's job, when Fitz has been the worst QB in football... hands-down. It would be different if Fitz was playing marginal football. He's not. 

This is bad coaching in terms of talent/roster evaluation, and bad leadership in terms of setting all the wrong precedents.

They have seen enough to see that Petty is a Geno/Bollinger/Tebow quality QB.

They are right to go with Fitz for a few more games then go with Hack who is probably the only future choice on the roster.

I am thankful that the Rangers are capable of getting fans to April or May and the Mets may have enough talent to carry fans to October

3 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

They have seen enough to see that Petty is a Geno/Bollinger/Tebow quality QB.

They are right to go with Fitz for a few more games then go with Hack who is probably the only future choice on the roster.

I am thankful that the Rangers are capable of getting fans to April or May and the Mets may have enough talent to carry fans to October

Lolz....gotta love the arm chair coaches here....

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Irrelevant standard to set.

When a player plays as terribly as Fitz, Revis, or Mo Wilk have this season. You sit them down. It's not about giving them job security while pretending that someone needs to jump up and snatch their job away. It's about telling them they are not above demotion. There's a reason everything has digressed this season. These 3 players are prime examples of it. 

There's no accountability.

I don't want to hear about how Petty didn't take Fitz's job, when Fitz has been the worst QB in football... hands-down. It would be different if Fitz was playing marginal football. He's not. 

This is bad coaching in terms of talent/roster evaluation, and bad leadership in terms of setting all the wrong precedents.

they did sit down fitz for gen.  how'd that work out?  does geno beat the rams?  i don't think there's a coach in the league who would've bypassed fitz and gone directly to petty or hack when geno went down.  for some reason petty has been deemed not ready to start.  that's plenty frustrating.

2 hours ago, August said:

That's not a viable excuse. 

okay then how about the defense not being able to stop a nosebleed so the offense has to play from behind.  consider the browns.  they haven't won a game and, apparently, their qb mcnown or kessler must be rated higher than fitz.  if fitz is the only problem then they should down in brown territory.  and that's my point.  we simply can't lay this season all on fitz even if he hasn't been playing well because of the position he's been put in.  and losing decker and a bad oline have got to be the major reasons why fitz 2016 is close to fitz 2015.

23 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

plus, getting beat up by NE is no way to build confidence. I think the Jets are protecting Petty and the Jets from getting embarrassed by the Pats.

I think so too.  Protect petty, probably give bowles a a better shot at saying "at least we beat the pats!" I actually don't have a problem with this, yes petty needs to get in there but an extra week doesn't really make that much of a difference… I think him going out there and getting destroyed by BB would be worse for him than missing this start.   They probably put him back in next week. 

Doesn't matter to me - ain't nothin gonna mess up my chowder week, nothin… well maybe a clam shortage, but thats it!!!

Just now, rangerous said:

okay then how about the defense not being able to stop a nosebleed so the offense has to play from behind.  consider the browns.  they haven't won a game and, apparently, their qb mcnown or kessler must be rated higher than fitz.  if fitz is the only problem then they should down in brown territory.  and that's my point.  we simply can't lay this season all on fitz even if he hasn't been playing well because of the position he's been put in.  and losing decker and a bad oline have got to be the major reasons why fitz 2016 is close to fitz 2015.

Or how about the offense being able to put up more points? It goes both ways I didn't bring up the defense because we're discussing Fitzpatrick. No one is saying that Fitzpatrick is to blame for most of the Jets problems. But he's been the 2nd biggest problem behind coaching. However there is still talent on this roster. Marshall, Enunwa, Anderson, ASJ, Forte, and Powell. No excuses for Fitzpatrick's terrible play. It isn't like he's surrounded by the 2012 skill position players. 

Considering the choices Romo.Glennon.Cutler,Fitzpatrick ...........

I would roll the dice with Glennon, and draft another prospect. Then make a decision between Hack and Pettty, as to whom to keep. Then you fix Glennon as your starter day one no competition and let the tow others fight it out for the backup job.
I am certainly open to any other YOUNG prospect who meets the criteria for being a starting quarterback for this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really starting to believe that when the change at QB finally comes this year, it's going to be Hack, and not Petty that gets the nod. Bowles mentioned a few weeks back that Hack was almost even with Petty. That, and the fact that they seem to be doing everything possible to NOT play Petty makes me feel that Hack will see the field the last 3-4 games this year. I know this probably sounds nuts, but is really past the Jets to do something like this?

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Well, Fitz beat them last year. If he has no red zone turnovers we should be in this game. The D has played better recently. It did not the first half of the year and Fitz haters of course blamed him for everything. When you play from behind at least 2 scores you are susceptible to interceptions. But imo there is no excuse for those red zone picks. 

"...if he has no red zone turnovers in this game..."

Seriously, who cares? Unless you think that Fitizpatrick is the answer beyond this year, whatever he does, good or bad, matters little.

Dude, he's statistically among the worst QBs in the league. He's not a long-term answer, and the Jets are going NOWHERE this year. Meanwhile, you have TWO guys who were drafted as possible long-term solutions at the position that you are sacrificing meaningful reps to this piece of garbage.

"When you play from behind at least 2 scores you are susceptible to interceptions."

So, according to your opinion, Fitzpatrick has zero responsibility for the Jets being behind?! Even though he has led virtually NO first-quarter TD drives. and the Jets have the fewest 3rd-quarter points in the league????

and, really WHENVER a QB drops back to throw, he's susceptible to interceptions.

IN all, at best, your opinion seems shortsighted. At its most stupid, it seems to ignore reason and pertinent facts.

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The Rams defense is 3x better than the Pats defense . This has nothing to do about confidence, this has everything to do with Todd trying to convince Woody he still cares about this season when no one else does.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The Rams defense is 3x better than the Pats defense . This has nothing to do about confidence, this has everything to do with Todd trying to convince Woody he still cares about this season when no one else does.

THANK YOU!!

The Rams defense is very good. The Pats defense is ok.

And, anyway, how is the kid going to learn if all he faces is bad defenses?

Get rid of Todd Bowles. There's nothing he's shown in almost two years that says he's a good head coach.

Archived