I don;t care about draft position, damn it, it feels good to win

ASH1962

I was thinking and sort of hoping the Jets would lose today at the outset, but I have to admit, as the game went on, and Petty started to make some throws, as Powell started running well, as we crept closer and closer until we actually ran a successful 2:00 offense to produce the game tying FG, my desires changed to wanting us to win and cheering as though the game mattered. I don't know, I just feel better when we win, whatever the record.

I was expecting the O to  F**k it up at the end.

I was expecting the defense to fold on the last drive of the game / opening drive of OT, but they didn't.

I said to myself, no way Petty has the ba**s to bring us all the way back and win in OT.

Damn I feel good that we won even though it serves no purpose really. Why is that?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, joewilly12 said:

There was no way in hell we were losing to a 1-11 football team. 

We almost tho lol.. Does Folk ever miss a huge kick ? Even the best do, but dam Folk deserves a lot of recognition for his big kicks over the yrs.. Not bad for a guy they try to replace every yr ha 

No matter what our draft position will be HIGH.  Lets be honest this draft doesn't have many great offensive prospects especially QB.  This draft is definetly more defensive talented which I'm sure pisses off some fans.  If Petty can be a decent QB that's all we need

12 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I was thinking and sort of hoping the Jets would lose today at the outset, but I have to admit, as the game went on, and Petty started to make some throws, as Powell started running well, as we crept closer and closer until we actually ran a successful 2:00 offense to produce the game tying FG, my desires changed to wanting us to win and cheering as though the game mattered. I don't know, I just feel better when we win, whatever the record.

I was expecting the O to  F**k it up at the end.

I was expecting the defense to fold on the last drive of the game / opening drive of OT, but they didn't.

I said to myself, no way Petty has the ba**s to bring us all the way back and win in OT.

Damn I feel good that we won even though it serves no purpose really. Why is that?

Felt the exact same way. Before the game and even during I didn't care about the win.. but as they started to put it together I found myself puling for them again. Loss wouldn't have killed me but it feels good to win one.

Truth be told it is only fans who care about draft position. Coaches and GM's are invested in evaluating players on ther rosters. Free agent evaluation next draft a distant third. Teams are looking for immediate contributions from a player most draft picks are limited when it comes to immediate impact. 

14 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

No matter what our draft position will be HIGH.  Lets be honest this draft doesn't have many great offensive prospects especially QB.  This draft is definetly more defensive talented which I'm sure pisses off some fans.  If Petty can be a decent QB that's all we need

There is no Winston or Luck in this year's draft who cares if we pick 1 or 5.

just because there aren't any sure fire QBs, it doesn't mean that some dumb team won't pay big to move up to get one. Picking 3rd or 4th could pay off. But, you can't count on any of that, and a win even against a crappy team is nice to watch for a change. It was also nice to see the D toughen up and the O to keep fighting...

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

just because there aren't any sure fire QBs, it doesn't mean that some dumb team won't pay big to move up to get one. Picking 3rd or 4th could pay off. But, you can't count on any of that, and a win even against a crappy team is nice to watch for a change. It was also nice to see the D toughen up and the O to keep fighting...

I actually feel we should trade down. Get some extra picks for the o line and secondary

4 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Cleveland are a living example of having a high draft pick not being the end all without the organisation to take advantage of it.

I'll take the win every day.

Jacksonville too.   Even though it seems they pick some decent players,they have had top 10 picks (maybe top 5 picks) over the last several years with nothing decent to show for it in terms of growth.

Other teams like Steelers, Ravens seem to draft well no matter where they pick.  

20 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Cleveland are a living example of having a high draft pick not being the end all without the organisation to take advantage of it.

I'll take the win every day.

They suffer from the ame fate we do . never bad enough to get to top QB prospect and when they do then there isn't a top QB prospect like this year .

Just now, Scoop24 said:

They suffer they same fate where never bad enough to get to top QB prospect and we if we do then there isn't a top QB prospect like this year .

See the way I feel about perennial bad teams like Cleveland, Jax etc is even if they were given a Andrew Luck, they still wouldn't be able to build a team around him cause their management/ownership just isn't there to do it.

Agreed.  I try never to root for losses, especially if the only reason is draft position.  Draft's a crapshoot no matter how you slice it or where you pick.

Wins trump all.  And yes, 4-12 finish would be better than 3-13.  IMO of course.

I'm a fan.  If I needed to be ultra-pragmatic about it, I wouldn't be a fan.

12 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

See the way I feel about perennial bad teams like Cleveland, Jax etc is even if they were given a Andrew Luck, they still wouldn't be able to build a team around him cause their management/ownership just isn't there to do it.

Colts are going to clean house in the offseason.  They might even bring in Harbaugh.

Glad it feels good. You'll surely remember these as time goes on. I know when I think of those December wins of 2014 I get nothing but joyous feelings. There's really nothing more satisfying than trading long term sensibility for short term gratification. That's the key to success for every team that rebounds from situations like this.

48 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Glad it feels good. You'll surely remember these as time goes on. I know when I think of those December wins of 2014 I get nothing but joyous feelings. There's really nothing more satisfying than trading long term sensibility for short term gratification. That's the key to success for every team that rebounds from situations like this.

those games were vital in the team learning how to win

3 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

How exactly do you root for the draft pick? Are you hoping your team does ok but folk blows the last kick? Cheer incompletions? Get mad at first downs?

I swear some fans would want banners around the stadium "Winners of the No.1 Draft Pick" to celebrate being awful. :rolleyes:

Archived