Jets announce Jeremy Bates as their new QBs coach & 2 Other Offensive Assts

C Mart

it seems like these guys are solid hires.  it looks like the jets have made some serious coaching investment to getting hack/petty ready.  i'm not sure if bates relationship to cutler is a harbinger of things to come.  bates should know cutler pretty well, both his strengths and weaknesses.  no doubt he will be asked his opinion should cutler be released.  if the jets do sign cutler it means they will be banking on hack or petty for the future.  at the very least they won't be drafting a qb in the first round until either of those guys tank.  it could be good.  cutler has good arm strength and accuracy.  once again if the jet defense plays well then cutler could lead them to a pretty good record this season.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I'm seriously ok with Cutler and **** you guys for laughing at me. (I think)

I laugh at Jay Cutler...

...but not as much as the rest of the league laughs at Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I don't believe in retreaded, old, vets, especially at QB (sorry Vinny, you were my first Jets QB I remember and I love you) but I'd be okay with Cutler. Worst case scenario is we suck until Petty, Hack, or some yet to be be drafted QB is ready to start--which is exactly where we are at anyway.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Just to be clear, the main complaint with Cutler is that the media will grill him alive. On the field, he is an improvement but off the field is where the problems lie

He's also old football wise. He should've retiring with all the concussions he has had.  

Oh he also saps the energy of those around him, doesn't prepare well (it's why BM and him fought)and would be a disaster to the young potential QBs of the future. 

So the media thing is low low in the list of why Nooooo Cutler.  

If we take anyone BUT a QB at #6, I am officially, since 1988, at three years old, done with this franchise.  I can't watch another ******* season, not another ******* season with some shotty, 3rd round, 2nd round, retread, 40 year old rapist, Harvard educated journeyman piece of sh*t Quarterback play.

I'm out.

2 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

If we take anyone BUT a QB at #6, I am officially, since 1988, at three years old, done with this franchise.  I can't watch another ******* season, not another ******* season with some shotty, 3rd round, 2nd round, retread, 40 year old rapist, Harvard educated journeyman piece of sh*t Quarterback play.

I'm out.

Right because we all know rookie QBs, including 1st rounders, all come in and play like 10 yr veterans. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Right because we all know rookie QBs, including 1st rounders, all come in and play like 10 yr veterans. 

Who can watch another ******* season of this piece of sh*t franchise being led under center by some garbage, piece of sh*t QB off the scrap heap? I can't take it anymore. I just can't take it.

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Who can watch another ******* season of this piece of sh*t franchise being led under center by some garbage, piece of sh*t QB off the scrap heap? I can't take it anymore. I just can't take it.

Then you need to take a sabbatical for next season.

Just now, tuffhand said:

Then you need to take a sabbatical for next season.

I am going to. I am sick of this sh*t.  STH since 1988 and I can't take another year of subpar QB play with this franchise floundering and spinning its wheels where it can't get out of its own way.  I'm over this sh*t.

4 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I'm out.

That's two threads with the same post, word for word.  Any more? 

It could mean they might try to make a deal for Cutler. Because of their previous association. Not sure if the case where that would leave Marshall. Who used to have a close relationship with Cutler but I think that over time it eroded. If they could play together again it could mean a potent offense. But I don't see the Jets taking on that complete Cutler contract and Marshall would have to renegotiate down. Look I wouldn't mind keeping Marshall if Bowles can keep him in line. Unless the gap between him and his teammates is insurmountable. 

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Is Al Groh available?  He has probably coached more recently than Bates.  Maybe we can bring hm in in some defensive capacity.  First Bowles pulls Gailey out of retirement and now Bates.  Give me a break.

To be fair he also hired Kevin green who was out of football for a few years and everyone loved that hire. 

54 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

Has there been any explanation why bates was out of football for so long?  Not being judgmental, I'd just like to know why.  I know he was a very respected QB coach at one point and I like the hire but it would be nice to hear the story. 

Maybe he just wanted to step away for a bit being around football most of his life (son of a football coach).  According to his wiki page, in 2014 he hiked the 2,900 mile Continental Divide Trail over the course of 5 months.  More recently he has been coaching in a QB camp for high school players...so not totally away from football.

1 minute ago, Stonehands said:

Lazy press, Bears former QB coach = Cutler to the Jets. How long before they report Tyrod Taylor to the Jets from the Vrable hiring?

I agree, but there is the fact that Bates also worked with Cutler in Denver.  That is supposedly at least part of the reason Chicago hired him. 

Please let's say NO to Cutler!

There is a reason why Bears fans are clamoring for Tyrod Taylor, because he is an instant UPGRADE over Cutler, even though Taylor may in truth be a middle of the pack QB!

Here is a "Cutler to the Jets link".........No one says Cutler would help us and most posters said Cutler should retire!!

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/85236-Cutler-to-the-Jets

Archived