Jets release Darrelle Revis

Matt39

13 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

It says a lot about the state of this franchise when we as fans get pumped because the team released players. Guess we have to have something to look forward to (releasing players)

*Releasing overpaid and underachieving players who are loved by the fanbase and will both be Ring of Honor members as well as Hall of famers. It's exciting seeing a GM finally committing to a rebuild that this organization has needed for years! 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Revis is the best player to ever wear a Jets uniform. Revis worked hard every week until whatever happened this past season. He was the number 1 corner in the NFL for years. I'll miss him.

Absolutely not. That distinction is Namath and it's not even close. 

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Truly great player and his place as one of the best of all time is almost universally acknowledged! Let's slander him and complain about his contract, Jet bros!!!

Yeah your boy wanted him back real bad when he was there for the taking. Probably the only competent thing the buck tooth varmit ever did. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Truly great player and his place as one of the best of all time is almost universally acknowledged! Let's slander him and complain about his contract, Jet bros!!!

2 years, $39m.

For a 30 year old CB, on a rebuilding team without a known starting QB.

Once upon a time - before his knee injury - he was pretty much the best player I ever saw. 

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Until we win a Super Bowl there is no right way. 

Thanks Darrelle Revis for the memories 1 of my all time favorite players. 

Sadly guys like Revis,Mangold,D-Brick,Chrebet,Lewis etc never won a Super Bowl as a Jet. 

Revis is one of your all time favorite players? Where do I start with this...are you joking?

10 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This. Revis was the exact opposite of Mangold. He cared only about himself and not the team.

yep.  there's no crying for revis.  he got his money and really didn't do much except play on the field.  sure he was a great cornerback but was he ever a mentor?  doubtful.  it's very rare with the really great players can effectively be mentors to the new guys.

56 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Revis will end up in Pittsburgh and will regain his passion for the game as he mentors a young Steelers secondary to the Super Bowl in 2017.

That will greatly reduce his travel time for all the court appearances.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

2 years, $39m.

For a 30 year old CB, on a rebuilding team without a known starting QB.

Once upon a time - before his knee injury - he was pretty much the best player I ever saw. 

Please tell me you are talking about Jet players only, right?

12 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They are indeed rebuilding properly. Should have done it two years ago, but the media and fan scrutiny scared the owner and front office.

If this were in any way true (it's not), why two years later is the media and fan scrutiny no longer a consideration for the owner and the front office?

This move isn't about rebuilding the right way, it's about cutting a player who vastly under-performed his bloated contract when the team needs the cap space.  Everything else is just invented narrative.

12 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Excellent point. When it comes to rebuilding fans talk the talk, but can they walk the walk?

Fans can absolutely tolerate a rebuild.  What they can't tolerate is bad to mediocre drafting, poor FA signings, and being as far from a QB as we've ever been.  That's what the last two years have been, nothing more, nothing less.

Revis was a truly great player.  The Jets got incredible value for him when they drafted him, and it's not his fault the Jets failed to capitalize on the flexibility he gave the overall D by being able to lock down the opponent's best receiver with better performance in the playoffs.  His time with the Jets was a wasted opportunity overall.

All the people who called him Mevis can stick it as far as I am concerned.  FO Homers are not imo the good fans they think they are.

Having said that, the time to part ways certainly seems to have come.  I wish him all the best in his future.

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

Revis will end up in Pittsburgh and will regain his passion for the game as he mentors a young Steelers secondary to the Super Bowl in 2017.

LOL. Revis will end up in Pittsburgh.......in court at least......... and in jail if convicted. He won't be convicted as we all know but I couldn't resist.

Bye Darryl. You pissed me off when you went to the Pats and I thought it was stupid to give you a boatload of cash AFTER you got your ring. Seems like everything went down hill for you after that. Good Luck and thanks for the effort.

13 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They are indeed rebuilding properly. Should have done it two years ago, but the media and fan scrutiny scared the owner and front office.

The interesting thing is that Revis took the focus of his bad play off himself and instead put it on the incident in Pittsburgh

What's the difference now? 

lmfao

3 minutes ago, thadude said:

Good move by Mac and apparently we do save $9.3 mil

Huge moves and probably more to come, the true test will be how much wiggle room he gives us for next year. He can add a lot of talent on this team through free agency and the draft and not break the bank. I hope we can plug in a corner and Olineman the most and then go from there.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Fans can absolutely tolerate a rebuild.  What they can't tolerate is bad to mediocre drafting, poor FA signings, and being as far from a QB as we've ever been.  That's what the last two years have been, nothing more, nothing less.

I'll co sign this. Completely sucking during a youth reload movement can be fun. You sorta evaluate the individual players instead of the wins losses. It involves hope. A sh*tty team with a bloated roster and overpaid or lazy vets is unbearable. 

51 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Gilchrist next

It will probably happen, but given that he has no guarantees or bonuses coming, they'll probably go through FA and the draft first in order to address the position, unless they start making other moves that find them in need of space before that.  Short of him taking a major paycut, I seriously doubt he sticks.

In his best year it was by far the best year I've ever seen from a DB.  It was a hilarious joke he didn;t win d player if the year if not mvp.

for a guy that was all about business.  This is just a business decision.  We'll get better play from some jag next year, no tears here,.

1 hour ago, Lego My Lageman said:

Huge moves and probably more to come, the true test will be how much wiggle room he gives us for next year. He can add a lot of talent on this team through free agency and the draft and not break the bank. I hope we can plug in a corner and Olineman the most and then go from there.

I want Whitworth or Okung and ofcourse Mike Glennon

Make it happen Mac

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

If this were in any way true (it's not), why two years later is the media and fan scrutiny no longer a consideration for the owner and the front office?

This move isn't about rebuilding the right way, it's about cutting a player who vastly under-performed his bloated contract when the team needs the cap space.  Everything else is just invented narrative.

1. The owner is going to be in a foreign country now, far away from the media scrutiny. 

2. If the owner isn't concerned, that trickles down

1 hour ago, JiF said:

What's the difference now? 

lmfao

In 2015 there was cap room that had to be spent and still an OL nucleus plus Harris, Mo and Shel.   And Ivory and decker... they were correct that they could make a run. It basically worked.

I don't see a run happening. 

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

It will probably happen, but given that he has no guarantees or bonuses coming, they'll probably go through FA and the draft first in order to address the position, unless they start making other moves that find them in need of space before that.  Short of him taking a major paycut, I seriously doubt he sticks.

There are other players like Johnson of BC who can play FS.   Pickings are slim though.  Keeping Gilcrist not that crazy.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

In 2015 there was cap room that had to be spent and still an OL nucleus plus Harris, Mo and Shel.   And Ivory and decker... they were correct that they could make a run. It basically worked.

I don't see a run happening. 

There are other players like Johnson of BC who can play FS.   Pickings are slim though.  Keeping Gilcrist not that crazy.

So now everyone is cool with a rebuild?  That "nucleus" won 4 games the year before 2015.  

Archived