The Jets Are In Full-On Tank Mode

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://deadspin.com/the-jets-are-in-full-on-tank-mode-right-now-1792935781

If you’re keeping score at home, the New York Jets have now rid themselves of their 2016 starters at the following positions: QB, LT, C, RT, CB1, K, WR1. And they might not be done yet.

Last night’s Newsday report that wideout Brandon Marshall will be granted his request for a release cements what had become increasingly obvious of late: This is a complete teardown. And while it’s undoubtedly the right play after the Jets’ most recent attempt at a patchwork rebuild collapsed, it remains to be seen whether the current brain trust is capable of putting this sh*thouse back together.

There was never a doubt the Jets were going to engage in some kind of roster pruning this offseason. Last year’s 5-11 freefall was due in large part to the rapid, simultaneous aging of their expensive, veteran core:

• Left tackle Ryan Clady, 30, has missed 37 of a possible 64 games the last four years.
  • Right tackle Breno Giacomini, 31, barely got on the field in 2016.
  • Center Nick Mangold, 33 and so durable for so long, missed half of last season. He also was no longer worth his $9 million price tag for 2017.
  • Cornerback Darrelle Revis—like Mangold, another all-time Jet—fell off a cliff and was due $15 million. He’ll be 32 this summer.
  • Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, 34, was somehow even worse than his pre-2015 sub-replacement level career had indicated he would be.
  • Kicker Nick Folk, 32, is still good, but at $3 million, he was expendable.

Then there’s wideout Eric Decker, who will be 30 in two weeks. Decker missed nearly all of last season with hip and shoulder injuries; the New York Daily Newsreported that he will likely be the next to go. Free safety Marcus Gilchrist, 28, is another candidate for dismissal. And barely a week goes by without some trade rumor involving defensive end Sheldon Richardson, who not too long ago was viewed as a foundational young talent.

Marshall, meanwhile, has played for four franchises and never reached the playoffs. He’ll be 33 later this month. He’s coming off his least-productive season since his rookie year, and he and Richardson had more than one dustup go public as 2016 dragged on. But Marshall can still play. He has said repeatedly that Florham Park would be his last stop. But he no doubt saw himself in a locker room full of tykes getting potty trained next season and wanted no part of it. Who could blame him?

And who could blame GM Mike Maccagnan for realizing this time he first needs to clear away the debris instead of trying to salvage these ruins with duct tape and chewing gum. Maccagnan came on board in 2015 armed with $50 million in cap space bequeathed to him by the uber-frugal John Idzik, and he quickly got to work by aggressively pursuing a competitive rebuild. Maccagnan’s moves, at the time, seemed sound: The Jets won 10 games, and optimism abounded. But the foundation, as old as it was, was later revealed to be full of cracks. In 2016, it gave way.

If there’s a positive, it’s that Maccagnan (and even Idzik) didn’t tie the Jets’ hands with bad contracts. Nearly all of the veterans mentioned above were or can be cut loose with minimal cap consequences. The Jets entered the offseason with a cap space deficit; they’ve since created a war chest of more than $33 million that can be put to use once free agency begins next Thursday. They also have four picks in the first three rounds of the draft. But this is precisely where even the most optimistic of Jets fans (assuming such creatures actually exist) will start giving you the side-eye. Because what has Maccagnan done to show he’s capable of remaking this roster out of whole cloth?

Maccagnan was hired because he’s a scouting lifer with a reputation for a sharp eye for talent. But his two drafts have yielded little promise. He’s already used two draft choices on quarterbacks. Two years in, Bryce Petty can neither read defenses nor call out line protections, which is why stuff like this happened to him—

ea3p8spirdbyjiq0sp6x.gif

—while Christian Hackenberg spent his entire rookie year safely ensconced in packing peanuts. Which would be fine, were it not for all the alarming reports about what a sh*tty, inaccurate passer he is. And now Hackenberg has a new quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator to work with.

There aren’t any great quarterback options in this year’s crop of free agents, though the Bills are reportedly ready to set Tyrod Taylor free, and the Jets now have the financial flexibility to make a play for him, should they want. Problem is, QB-thirsty teams like the Browns and 49ers have even more to spend. Maccagnan is a believer in ex-Packers GM Ron Wolf’s philosophy of keep drafting quarterbacks. But Wolf long had the luxury of having Brett Favre to allow for the grooming of an unseasoned prospect like Aaron Rodgers. Maccagnan had Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith, and now he has no one. Finding a quarterback is a Forever Problem for the Jets, but Maccagnan may have yoked his future to having burned a second-round pick on Hackenberg.

What about head coach Todd Bowles? He has a habit of coaching too conservatively, and last year’s reports of locker-room turmoil certainly did little to burnish his bona fides as a disciplinarian. Maccagnan and Bowles both answer directly to owner Woody Johnson. But it’s fair to wonder if Maccagnan has a longer rope at this point.

Which brings us at last to Johnson, who’s always the wild card in any discussion that includes the words “the Jets” and “patience.” Johnson has publicly committed himself to taking the long view, and he’s clearly signed off on what is undoubtedly a tank job. But Johnson’s past impulsiveness has been an enough of an impediment for that to mean very little right now. He’s also set to take off for London to be an ambassador—at least whenever President Orange Head gets around to making it official—with brother Christopher Johnson in line to temporarily take the wheel. This Jets reset is going to be painful, and it might take a while for that pain to subside. Jets fans have been numbed by the steady jabs of recent resets past. Are Bowles and Maccagnan the right guys to get this fixed? And will Johnson or his brother give them the time and space to do the difficult, necessary work?

1 minute ago, Freemanm said:

Christ, how many years have we been in rebuild mode since I first became a Jets fan in 1982? I've seriously lost count since then. 

We've never done it right. We've done it the half assed way of rebuilding while trying to be competitive. You need to be awful before you can be great. Most importantly you need to be awful in the right year and that year is 2017.

Tank tank tank!!!

Bowles says differently:

http://nypost.com/2017/03/02/todd-bowles-insists-jets-arent-rebuilding-while-they-do-just-that/

Todd Bowles insists Jets aren’t rebuilding while they do just that

INDIANAPOLIS — All signs point to the Jets undergoing a complete rebuild in 2017.

The team has released or plans to release a number of its veteran players: Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, Breno Giacomini, Ryan Clady, Nick Folk are all out — and Thursday night, it was confirmed Brandon Marshall will join the list. It looks like a youth movement, which usually means the dreaded “R” word.

Just don’t tell coach Todd Bowles that the Jets are rebuilding.

“No, we’re always trying to win,” Bowles said Thursday, before the Marshall news, when asked if the Jets were rebuilding. “Whether we kept them or we let them go, we’re always trying to win. We don’t do anything in the mindset [of rebuilding]. You rebuild as far as people and names, but you don’t rebuild in terms of trying to win or not win. We’re trying to win all the time.”

Everything about a rebuild makes sense for the Jets, except for Bowles entering his third season as the team’s coach without a playoff appearance. This should be a make-or-break year for Bowles, who has two years left on his contract. But is it fair to expect much from Bowles if the Jets go into the season with first-time starters all over the field?

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif?d=1
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

in-art-soundanimation-icon-41x48.gif

“I’m not afraid of the unknown,” Bowles said. “We don’t have the names that we had in the past, but that doesn’t mean we won’t have the players.”

This year is going to be a huge challenge for Bowles, who is 15-17 in his two years with the Jets. The team has holes all over its roster, starting with quarterback. Draft picks from the past two years — like Lorenzo Mauldin, Jordan Jenkins, Juston Burris and Brandon Shell — are going to be counted on to play bigger roles this season.

“As a coach, it’s going to be hard,” Bowles said. “You’re always going to have to replace some veteran players, whether they’re names or not names. That’s tough because you get to know them and spend time with them every day. The young players I don’t worry about because you have to teach. You teach football. Whether they’re old or they’re young, you treat them the same and you teach football. That the part of it I’m excited about. I’m not afraid of the unknown. I felt no differently the day I took the job than I do now. I have a lot of faith whether our older guys stay or we have some young guys come in and play. It’s up to us to teach them as coaches.”

The Jets still have free agency and the draft to add pieces to the team. Bowles said the Jets not only need to improve the roster, but also the way they approach things after a 5-11 season filled with problems.

“We just need to play smarter and more disciplined,” Bowles said. “That’s the biggest thing. We need to play smarter. It’s not a quality to add. I think we have to add the right people that take over the team to make this their team and add those qualities themselves and the coaches will emulate that and make sure we put that forward.”

Getting rid of overpriced veterans who were either hurt or stunk last year is not going into "Tank Mode" - that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but never let it be said the morons in the New York media missed an opportunity for a sensational headline

FYI: THE MONEY SAVED BY DUMPING OVERPRICED UNPRODUCTIVE PLAYERS CAN IMMEDIATELY BE SPENT ON YOUNGER, MORE PRODUCTIVE PLAYERS!!!!

That's not a tank job people

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Better late than never! Should have been done 2 years ago. Hopefully we go 0-16 and get Sam Darnold!

wiat a second.  it seems to me except for mangold, folk, and breno all of the players that have been cut were brought in as free agents two years ago.  so, in a sense, this was done two seasons ago.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We've never done it right. We've done it the half assed way of rebuilding while trying to be competitive. You need to be awful before you can be great. Most importantly you need to be awful in the right year and that year is 2017.

Tank tank tank!!!

Well, the only positive here is that we might as well suck now because it's gonna be a few years before Brady and Belidick retire.

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Well, the only positive here is that we might as well suck now because it's gonna be a few years before Brady and Belidick retire.

That's absolutely correct. Does it really make sense to bring in and keep a bunch of talented old vets for a small chance at a wild card? 

I'm thinking season ticket holders may be more inclined to want them to be competitive but competitive breeds years of mediocrity. That's what we are. Occasional playoff appearances, a couple of decent runs but never a legit shot at a title (sans that one year with Vinny). 

If we want to do it right, we have to break it down. I'm all in on Sam Darnold but I'm OK with a different rebuild around hack or Glennon but I'm just not feeling franchise QB with either. Then again, we can go with them and still end up with the number 1 overall. 

I'm loving what macc is doing. Every cut I'm seeing makes me happier. I just hope it's not followed up with a Romo, Cutler Taylor signing. Those guys are good for the broncos. 

19 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Tank tank tank!!!

Exactly. They should never have tried to 'compete' when Mac took over. It was all fools gold.  The screwy secondary revamp, the Harris and Revis signings, the insistence to keep Catpiss Smith, the veteran wr's, the Wilk signing and more, were totally ill advised and show how this GM doesn't have a clue what he's doing. So now he 'cleans house', hits the restart button to pretend he knows what he's doing. Problem is he'll end up molding this team from the bottom up but will never get out of the cellar because HE'S OVER HIS HEAD.  His last 2 drafts have been abysmal.  Damn near Idziot like. Yea he's made a few moves that turned well but it really did nothing for long term success. When the Cowboys were taken over by Jimmy Jones his first move was acquiring Troy Aikmen, his franchise QB. They were AWFUL a few years prior and after but he had the foundation and they built on it. I just don't see Mac being able to figure that out given his recent free agents moves, resigning over the hill players and drafting so poorly - not to mention his lack of an eye for a QB. Go ahead clean house. After a few years of turning into the Browns, clean management. 

Ok..but honestly..what did we get rid of??

A QB who isn't a QB1 (or 2 or 3 for that matter).

A WR1 who was outplayed by Enunwa.

A RT1 who was terrible.

A CB1 who gave zero effort every time he stepped on the field.

We are rebuilding because none of those guys contributed at all to our team. 

Its more like we got rid of dead weight..not #1 starters across the board.

20 hours ago, JiF said:

Bowles says differently:

http://nypost.com/2017/03/02/todd-bowles-insists-jets-arent-rebuilding-while-they-do-just-that/

INDIANAPOLIS — All signs point to the Jets undergoing a complete rebuild in 2017.

The team has released or plans to release a number of its veteran players: Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, Breno Giacomini, Ryan Clady, Nick Folk are all out — and Thursday night, it was confirmed Brandon Marshall will join the list. It looks like a youth movement, which usually means the dreaded “R” word.

“No, we’re always trying to win,” Bowles said Thursday, before the Marshall news, when asked if the Jets were rebuilding. “Whether we kept them or we let them go, we’re always trying to win. We don’t do anything in the mindset [of rebuilding]. You rebuild as far as people and names, but you don’t rebuild in terms of trying to win or not win. We’re trying to win all the time.”

Everything about a rebuild makes sense for the Jets, except for Bowles entering his third season as the team’s coach without a playoff appearance. This should be a make-or-break year for Bowles, who has two years left on his contract. But is it fair to expect much from Bowles if the Jets go into the season with first-time starters all over the field?

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“I’m not afraid of the unknown,” Bowles said. “We don’t have the names that we had in the past, but that doesn’t mean we won’t have the players.”

This year is going to be a huge challenge for Bowles, who is 15-17 in his two years with the Jets. The team has holes all over its roster, starting with quarterback. Draft picks from the past two years — like Lorenzo Mauldin, Jordan Jenkins, Juston Burris and Brandon Shell — are going to be counted on to play bigger roles this season.

“As a coach, it’s going to be hard,” Bowles said. “You’re always going to have to replace some veteran players, whether they’re names or not names. That’s tough because you get to know them and spend time with them every day. The young players I don’t worry about because you have to teach. You teach football. Whether they’re old or they’re young, you treat them the same and you teach football. That the part of it I’m excited about. I’m not afraid of the unknown. I felt no differently the day I took the job than I do now. I have a lot of faith whether our older guys stay or we have some young guys come in and play. It’s up to us to teach them as coaches.”

The Jets still have free agency and the draft to add pieces to the team. Bowles said the Jets not only need to improve the roster, but also the way they approach things after a 5-11 season filled with problems.

“We just need to play smarter and more disciplined,” Bowles said. “That’s the biggest thing. We need to play smarter. It’s not a quality to add. I think we have to add the right people that take over the team to make this their team and add those qualities themselves and the coaches will emulate that and make sure we put that forward.”

BOWLES IS THE ABSOLUTE MOST STUPID PERSON IN THE ENTIRE NFL # PLEASE FC OFF>>>

4 hours ago, lambo said:

BOWLES IS THE ABSOLUTE MOST STUPID PERSON IN THE ENTIRE NFL # PLEASE FC OFF>>>

I hate bowles but I'm not sure what you expect him to say. You can't coach an NFL team and admit that you're tanking. Also when you want to lure free agents, you don't want your coach saying we suck. 

On 3/3/2017 at 4:53 PM, JiF said:

Bowles says differently:

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Maybe nobody told him yet?

I support the complete rebuild. It's going to suck, but it's the right move. That said, a full rebuild in year 3 of a coaching staff is really weird and I don't get that part of it at all. Also, why is the GM just now, in year 3, starting to restock the roster?

Archived