Jets re-sign Ijilana

Integrity28

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The past three offseasons I have been banging the drum to sign Ijalana back, but at that price?  I'd start a 5th rounder at LT before I would pay him that.

Lol. Good signing here. He filled in pretty well at LT last season considering he was at another position during the same season.

This is not Madden where plug and play works frequently. 

Considering the contract value I wonder if he'll be in the mix to start at LT.  Also looking at

the contracts of some of the OLinemen we got Winters for a reasonable deal

15 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Beerfish,

Very good to exceptional starting LTs in the NFL make 10-12M per year. 5.5M would be about what this guy should get. 

Is he our staring LT?  Very easy question for you.  If yes then its a very cheap deal, of course we better carry 4 QBs this year because they will all get killed.

I was initially thinking it was a good idea to bring him back, as he provides them some insurance, so they aren't completely reliant on a big signing or day one starter in the draft, while being a solid backup if all else goes well.  That said, the amount definitely surprises me a bit.  Let's hope this is a back-loaded deal, with the idea that he gets a chance to earn more in 2018 if he proves to deserve it.  After all, this is the same guy they picked up a month into FA last year at the vet min.

Either that, or perhaps a contract with little guarantees with the basic idea is that he's fighting to be a starter and if he becomes one, he gets paid for it, if he doesn't then he's likely gone.  Otherwise, I can't really understand this deal too much, unless they're already fully convinced he's starting material.

IMG_0706.jpg

Daryl Slater at NJ.com is reporting that the Jets have re-signed their own free agent, offensive tackle Ben Ijalana.

The Jets on Thursday re-signed left tackle Ben Ijalana, about an hour before the NFL’s free agency signing period began at 4 p.m., a league source confirmed.

So the Jets prevented Ijalana from hitting free agency, while giving him a two-year contract with a maximum value of $11 million. The amount of guaranteed money is unclear.

Ijalana (6’4″, 322) played for Villanova in college and was a 2nd round draft pick of the Indianapolis Colts in the 2011 NFL draft. The NJ native has been with the Jets since 2013,  In 2011 he played four games with the Colts but was in injured reserve during the 2012 season and then was waived by Indy in 2013.

The Jets originally picked Ijalana up off of waivers.  He was limited to 4 games in 2014 and didn’t see the field in 2015.  Last year was a different story, he originally rotated at right tackle and then filled in for Ryan Clady at left tackle after Clady was injured.

Do the Jets see Ijalana as the starting left tackle next season? They will most likely look to upgrade the position. Ijalana can either be an emergency starter at left tackle, fill in at right tackle if Brandon Shell doesn’t work out or provide a solid backup at either spot.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
FPAlieYzQYc

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Beerfish,

Very good to exceptional starting LTs in the NFL make 10-12M per year. 5.5M would be about what this guy should get. 

No, we paid him nearly twice his worth. Wouldnt want him on the blindside and 5.5 mil for a RT is a lot more than he's worth. 

Jesus folks. We signed a tackle we have had in house for several years. He's good insurance at either tackle position. There's no report on his actual contract, guarantees, incentives, etc. Could be $11M total if he meets incentives, somehow becomes a starter, and lasts 2 years. Smart move. Now draft a LT early.

It was a good move to lock him up before free agency, where he would likely fly away. There are very few starting caliber LT's available and most are not very good. Plus, this guy is versatile. If we draft an LT we can still use him elsewhere in the line. We now have insurance while leaving our options open. I like it.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I was initially thinking it was a good idea to bring him back, as he provides them some insurance, so they aren't completely reliant on a big signing or day one starter in the draft, while being a solid backup if all else goes well.  That said, the amount definitely surprises me a bit.  Let's hope this is a back-loaded deal, with the idea that he gets a chance to earn more in 2018 if he proves to deserve it.  After all, this is the same guy they picked up a month into FA last year at the vet min.

Either that, or perhaps a contract with little guarantees with the basic idea is that he's fighting to be a starter and if he becomes one, he gets paid for it, if he doesn't then he's likely gone.  Otherwise, I can't really understand this deal too much, unless they're already fully convinced he's starting material.

My thoughts exactly

Archived