Wilkerson Guarantees Jets Will Better 5-11 Mark Of 2016

Freemanm

Big Defensive End Talks Bold At Charity Event, While Namath Says Downtrodden Franchise Must Earn Respect

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — He must know something the rest of the sports world doesn’t.

Muhammad Wilkerson is so confident the Jets won’t end up as the dumpster fire so many are predicting them to be in 2017, he told reporters on Tuesday night his team will actually be better than the 5-11 dysfunctional mess it was last season.

Yeah, he really did.

“The team will definitely be positive and do more things better than we did last year, I can guarantee that,” Wilkerson told reporters before the United Way of New York City Gridiron Gala. “We’ll have more wins than we did last year and that’s a fact.”

That bold prognostication flies in the face of what every NFL expert has intimated since the Jets started their offseason roster purge. Currently with one of the thinnest talent bases in the league, the Jets have holes at basically every position, short of along the defensive line, where Wilkerson calls home.

MOREReport: Jets’ Muhammad Wilkerson Appeared Out Of Shape At Temple’s Pro Day

However, Wilkerson, himself, was terrible last season, laying a giant egg not long after signing a five-year, $86 million contract that includes $54 million guaranteed. The former first-round pick out of Temple had just 4.5 sacks in 2016, after putting up 12 the season before.

Muhammad Wilkerson

Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

Jets legend Joe Namath was also at Tuesday night’s charity event, but he took a much more reserved position on the team’s 2017 potential.

“You have to earn respect and that’s by going out and winning some games, showing something, and getting some teams wary of you,” Namath said. “Right now, I don’t think there are many teams wary of the Jets. … Until they start playing well, who’s going to respect them?”

New York’s biggest question mark heading into training camp — as it has basically been for the better part of all the years that have passed since Namath left the franchise following the 1976 season — is at quarterback. General manager Mike Maccagnan signed journeyman Josh McCown during free agency, but the soon-to-be 38-year-old is just 18-42 as a starter and has played for 10 teams during his 14-year career.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... when people pick us to suck we usually do better than expected... I think Mo will be vastly improved from last year, still think it was physical from the injury more than mental due to losing although I can accept that he was frustrated with himself and the team causing his performance to dip even further toward the end of the year.

Me - You're a funny guy...

Mo - Funny how? Like I am a clown, I amuse you? I am here to F-ing amuse you? Funny how?

Me - No, you know, the way you tell the story, what?

Mo -  No you said I am funny, funny how, WTF is so funny about me?

Nobody should be surprised when we are better than 5-11. Tanking is a pipe dream.

Whenever people think we're gonna be awful, we do better than expected .... whenever people think we're gonna be good, we do worse than expected.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think it's pretty clear from everyone you've heard this offseason that the team is feeling like the locker room is going to be a lot better place because a certain someone is gone. 

Despite your creepy obsession, it's become pretty clear there was certainly more than just one "someone" who fit that bill.  After all, there's a reason that the man-who-shall-not-be-named was joined by numerous other crappy vets and coaches.

The real bottom line of this though is while the Jets are certainly not a good team at this point, outside of it being the thing to say these days that the Jets are the worst in the league, there's actually not really been any support provided to suggest what exactly is worse about them than last year.  Those cast aside won't be missed, and simply better health would already be a step in the right direction.  Good? No.  A little better?  Not that crazy of a thought.

Dude was hurt all offseason last year. He has been a good solider and a good player here for years.

You will see a different Mo Milk this year. The Jets will definitely be better than they were last season.

Amazing guarantee! I mean, to match the 5-11 season and how the unbelievable Beard played, you really have to work hard.

Saying that we'll win 6 or more games out of 16 is like saying "we'll be solid sh!t, not the ugly diarrhea we had last year". Kudos to you, Mo. Just show up to meetings on time and that would be good enough from you. 

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think it's pretty clear from everyone you've heard this offseason that the team is feeling like the locker room is going to be a lot better place because a certain someone is gone. 

Well said. We don't have Decker, Marshall and Mangold go on a protest this year. 

No way in hell this roster, one of the worst in the NFL, wins more than 5 games.

And Mo has no business saying anything after his disgraceful performance last season.  The only thing fatter than his mid-section was the large pay day he received prior to ripping the franchise off by sleep-walking through 16 games.

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

?? Richardson is still here

I think the defense will definitely better, especially with Adams setting the tone. I think both safeties will make a big impact. But I just can't see the offense, with the QBs we have, outscoring teams. Our defense would have to be close to best in the league for that to happen. 

Then again with the Jets luck, McCown will have a career year like Fitz did or Hack will play close to average, doing just enough but not exactly impressing anyone. 

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

No way in hell this roster, one of the worst in the NFL, wins more than 5 games.

And Mo has no business saying anything after his disgraceful performance last season.  The only thing fatter than his mid-section was the large pay day he received prior to ripping the franchise off by sleep-walking through 16 games.

I'm willing to give Wilk a pass for recovering from a broken leg late the season before. No excuses this year, though, he needs to be dominant. 

25 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Dude was hurt all offseason last year. He has been a good solider and a good player here for years.

You will see a different Mo Milk this year. The Jets will definitely be better than they were last season.

I agree with your statement to a point. Part of being a good soldier also involves dependability. 

Recovering from injuries is no excuse for being late to meetings and practices. 

36 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

I agree with your statement to a point. Part of being a good soldier also involves dependability. 

Recovering from injuries is no excuse for being late to meetings and practices. 

That part he has to improve upon. 100%. If he doesn't then that will be his legacy.

I just think he will mature and get better, on and off the field.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Despite your creepy obsession, it's become pretty clear there was certainly more than just one "someone" who fit that bill.  After all, there's a reason that the man-who-shall-not-be-named was joined by numerous other crappy vets and coaches.

The real bottom line of this though is while the Jets are certainly not a good team at this point, outside of it being the thing to say these days that the Jets are the worst in the league, there's actually not really been any support provided to suggest what exactly is worse about them than last year.  Those cast aside won't be missed, and simply better health would already be a step in the right direction.  Good? No.  A little better?  Not that crazy of a thought.

Your denial is creepy and obsessive.  Good post otherwise. 

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

Your denial is creepy and obsessive.  Good post otherwise. 

Thanks!

I'll just never comprehend the mindset shared by so many Jets fans, year after year, of "hey, which of these players/coaches is the one and only person to blame for everything?"  More often than not the real answer is "all of the above".

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

That's nice but I'll never agree that that would be a good thing.  6-10 / 7-9 gets us nowhere as a franchise. 

Archived