Green & White Scrimmage Updates 08/05/17

JETSfaninNE

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I'll leave my impressions right here.

Good 

Elijah McGuire looks like a professional running back and should see the field during the season

Marcus Maye looks like a good Safety. Fast, physical and with some ball skills. 

O-line looked more settled. 

Tight ends can catch and navigate the middle well. Leggett looks like a natural. 

Chris Harper and Myles White won some matchups.

Charone Peake flashed especially in the red zone.

Jalin Marshal is steady

Bad

Drops from Robby and Quincy

Darryl Roberts got lit up during 1v1s

11v11s were tragic to watch 

2 minute drill lacked any sense of urgency and featured ONLY Josh McCown.

Rookies

McGuire and Maye looked legit today. 

Adams was animated on the sideline.

Quiet practice from Donahue 

Stewart and Hansen have done nothing to stand out and would be on the roster bubble if they werent fairly high draft picks.

Derrick Jones got picked on a bit but recovered from mistakes well.

QBs

McCown- for all the lifelines this guy has been given in his career you'd think he was a good QB. So incredibly average and boring and nondescript and yet here we are.

Hack- looked bad until he made 1 throw. It's been trending down for him lately. 

Petty- looked good and then looked less good. He has probably gained ground on Hack and McCown recently but that's not saying much. 

There seem to be confusions and mistakes when Petty and Hack come in. They don't command the huddle like McCown. This is especially disconcerting for Petty who had problems calling his blocking schemes last year and seems to have some trouble lining up his teammates this year. His last throw during 11v11s saw him audible at the line but 2 receivers ended up going for it in the same area of the end zone.

I was there tonight and this is a pretty good assessment of what I saw as well. asj and Elijah McGuire really stood out. Loved Marcus Mayes interception and Hackenbergs touchdown to Legget. Concerned about the injuries. Offense didn't look good overall. There were stand out plays but no consistency on Offense.  Liked the run D. 

I'm lucky enough to have a family member that works for the team. Tonight my son and I were in the family section and on the field after the scrimmage meeting players past and present. It was the old timers that brought ne back to my childhood. Bruce Harper is one of the funniest and most approachable guys I've met. He even photo bombed a posture with me and klecko (who was kind enough to sign my jersey).  Speaking with the wives of Harper and Ken Schroy was as pleasant as it was surreal. Same goes for Wesley walker and bunch of other guys. My son met Mo and Richardson, took a pic with Cromartie who was in civvies and always obliging. Really a great night for father and son.  We'll done by the Jets. 

Thanks man. I enjoyed meeting you and your son too.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, August said:

I'm trying to be optimistic but I'm getting some 2012 vibes with this offense minus the circus show. 

I was there last night and I'll go back 20 years farther for comparative vibes, the year of the Browning. That 1992 group may have been the worse Jet offense I ever saw and the puke I saw last night was on par with them.

The only thing scarier was that the '92 offense actually looked like it had potential during that magical 5-0 preseason.

And one last thing, regarding footwork, Nagle had a really bad case of happy feet and could lose his way in the pocket very easily, but as far as simply moving and sliding in the pocket, Nagle looked much smoother than Hackenberg could ever dream to. Just in his drop backs, you can see how heavy his feet are and he just moves too awkwardly & gingerly, and his entire body language just speaks to an athlete who just has too much going on in his brain to just be comfortable.

So, in reading the beat writers wrapups this morning, the consensus seemed to be that 

1. McCown is the best QB on the roster

2. Marcus Maye has looked really good

3. The receivers have been a nightmare, not just in terms of catching the ball, but also in getting off the line, running the right routes, and handling the physicality of the game.

4. Hackenberg made one play in the scrimmage that showed promise, but otherwise looked bleh.

5. The DL looks really good. 

6. Not a single mention of Darron Lee or the OLBs. The only LB mentioned was a "rejuvenated" Demario Davis.

7. Elijah McGuire is quick.

8. The TEs look good.

9. Bowles comments were predictably bland and he seems resigned to playing with the hand he's dealt.

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, in reading the beat writers wrapups this morning, the consensus seemed to be that 

3. The receivers have been a nightmare, not just in terms of catching the ball, but also in getting off the line, running the right routes, and handling the physicality of the game.

4. Hackenberg made one play in the scrimmage that showed promise, but otherwise looked bleh.

6. Not a single mention of Darron Lee or the OLBs. The only LB mentioned was a "rejuvenated" Demario Davis.

8. The TEs look good.

9. Bowles comments were predictably bland and he seems resigned to playing with the hand he's dealt.

Confirmation Bias, you hack. 

So, everyone's surprised the Jets didn't look like a finely tuned machine? Give me a f*cking break, lol. Maybe 15 guys on this roster are SAFE. The rest of them are all fighting to be a Jet in 2018. Which is the way it should be in a total rebuild.

Personally, I love the fact that other than McCown, Bowles doesn't have a bunch of sh*tty veterans to try to save himself with. And if the wooden Indian thinks he can save his job starting a guy that has won 2 games in two years than..well, lmao.

I obviously want Bowles to have success, I'm a Jet fan, but he's already been exposed to be pretty terrible. He did the same thing Rex did after failure, fire & rehire assistants. Best thing that could happen to the Jets, 1-15, fire Bowles, Hire Sean Payton, keep Morton & Bates, pick who they believe is the best QB, between him & Hack, let the best man win.

14 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Coz is like Cimini's mini-me with his stupid snarky comments - The Jets beat has degenerated to a bunch of trivial school children. Not that they were ever great, but the current cast of characters covering the team is pure garbage.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

8. The TEs look good.

My neighbor was in attendance last night his comments this morning....what a waste of time, its going to be a really bad season and Ross Martin is the Jets best player......

Christian Hackenberg shines in Jets’ Green and White scrimmage, Marcus Maye delivers play of the night on defense

MAY 23, 2017, FILE PHOTO

Christian Hackenberg showed he has made serious strides as he enters his second season, delivering a solid performance in the Jets’ annual Green and White scrimmage Saturday.

(JULIO CORTEZ/AP)

It’s important not to put too much weight on any one play in training camp. Quarterbacks can’t be hit. Most often, the team drills are run without full contact. The speed and physicality of summer sessions are simply not comparable to true game action.

But with the lights on at MetLife Stadium Saturday night for the Jets’ annual Green and White scrimmage, Christian Hackenberg made arguably the best play of his young career, and it showcased the type of tools that made him an intriguing prospect for general manager Mike Maccagnan in the 2016 draft — even if it came in a practice.

On second-and-10 from the opposing 25-yard line, Hackenberg dropped back to pass and faced a stout pass rush from both sides. The former second-round pick evaded the oncoming defenders, stepped up in the pocket and unleashed a running throw to the middle of the field. The toss landed in the outstretched arms of rookie tight end Jordan Leggett in the end zone for a touchdown.

Josh McCown — who appears to be leading the three-man QB competition with Hackenberg and Bryce Petty based on playing time through the first week of training camp — watched Hackenberg’s TD pass from behind the play and came away impressed.

“It was awesome. It was a heck of a throw. I think those are some of the things that get you excited about Hack,” the 38-year-old journeyman said. “That was one of those plays for Christian, no doubt. To step up and avoid the rush like he did and then to deal one in there, showing off his arm talent and his accuracy, that’s obviously why he was drafted where he was and what gets you excited about him.”

Josh McCown (l.) was impressed with  Christian Hackenberg (r.) Saturday.

Josh McCown (l.) was impressed with Christian Hackenberg (r.) Saturday.

(SETH WENIG/AP)

Hackenberg finished 3-of-5 passing on the night for 45 yards. He also took three sacks. There’s no question he’s made progress from his redshirt rookie season in 2016. Occasionally he still holds the ball too long, but as Todd Bowles pointed out earlier this week, that’s sometimes a function of a receiver running the wrong route.

Despite finishing with just 12 reps, Hackenberg played the best of the three quarterbacks Saturday night. McCown completed 8-of-13 passes for 113 yards with two touchdowns (including a 55-yard bomb to Chris Harper) and an interception in 21 reps. Petty completed just four-of-12 passes for 44 yards, but he did engineer a 60-yard field goal drive on his second series.

“All three made some big completions at certain times,” Bowles said.

IT’S MAYE’S DAY 

Rookie safety Marcus Maye electrified the MetLife crowd Saturday with the play of the night for the defense.

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi

Rookie safety Marcus Maye intercepted quarterback Josh McCown during the Jets’ Green and White scrimmage Saturday.

(ANTHONY DELMUNDO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

During McCown’s third series, Maye jumped in front of Robby Anderson and secured his first interception of camp. He returned it 60 yards for a touchdown — though McCown jokingly took exception with the ruling after the scrimmage.

“Lucky for them that I had a red jersey on,” he said, referring to the non-contact jerseys the quarterbacks wear.

Maye has already played his way into a starting role at safety alongside fellow rookie Jamal Adams, who missed Saturday because of a sprained ankle.

“It’s amazing, especially for a young guy, to come in, get a pick-six,” defensive lineman Steve McLendon said. “And he’s doing it in front of his fans.” …Running backs Matt Forte (hamstring) and Bilal Powell both sat out Saturday’s practice. Bowles said Powell is not dealing with a concussion. Powell suffered his injury Friday, and Bowles said he “got the wind knocked out of him.”…CB Xavier Coleman injured his leg Saturday.  

18 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

Coz is like Cimini's mini-me with his stupid snarky comments - The Jets beat has degenerated to a bunch of trivial school children. Not that they were ever great, but the current cast of characters covering the team is pure garbage.

The lack of professionalism from the media is what is alarming. They wonder why people aren't reading newspapers. Well maybe act like a professional and maybe people will start taking you serious again. The funny thing is with many of these clowns. They add all these snarky and in some ways insulting comments about players because they think they are funny. But if you become critical of them and their work they get all defensive and start crying about the criticism of them..

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The lack of professionalism from the media is what is alarming. They wonder why people aren't reading newspapers. Well maybe act like a professional and maybe people will start taking you serious again. The funny thing is with many of these clowns. They add all these snarky and in some ways insulting comments about players because they think they are funny. But if you become critical of them and their work they get all defensive and start crying about the criticism of them..

Then they play dumb when they get called out. Like "who me"

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

8. The TEs look good.

I completely agree with this assessment.    

Of all Macc's draft picks, I think Darron Lee could cost him his job.  Of the other firsts and seconds at least, you can see the logic.  

I have to think that Woody intervened in cutting Decker and Harris late stage.  Macc and Bowles knew they needed those players to have a chance to keep their jobs.  That says a lot about Lee and why they surprisingly drafted 2 receivers high, with an eye to 2018. 

They lucked out with Demario, particularly since they can now play him where they always should have.

So the question now is, using Forte and or SR as bait, how can they bail out the receivers?

I'm sure there's going to be a WR cast off from another team this Summer that the Jets will pick up, or, they'll need to make a trade. How can you possibly evaluate Hack with Robby Anderson as his now #1 WR. Decker was a pro. We all know they are mailing 2017 in but you still need to have some level of professionalism.

My look at how the three Jets QBs performed in the Green & White scrimmage Saturday night:

Ralph Vacchiano 

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The first play of the Jets' intrasquad scrimmage was a false start on the offense, which then went three-and-out on three of its first four drives.

It was a terrible, though hardly unexpected start. But there was a bright side.

It wasn't all downhill from there.

The Jets' offense actually rebounded to show signs of competence, and their top two quarterbacks - veteran Josh McCown and second-year pro Christian Hackenberg - even made a few impressive plays. Overall the Jets' quarterbacks only completed 50 percent of their passes and the offense wasn't exactly a well-oiled machine.

But the offense did score three touchdowns over the final eight drives at MetLife Stadium. It's hardly the stuff of championships. But it was a nice rebound after an ugly start.

"When you come into scrimmages like this against a group you've been practicing against for a while you're going to come against some roadblocks," said the 38-year-old McCown. "But then you're going to find some plays and some areas that maybe you haven't found the rest of the time at camp. That was a little bit of the case here."

"That's what it's all about," the 22-year-old Hackenberg added. "Not everything's going to go to plan. You've got to be able to kind of dig deep and figure out ways to manufacture drives, yards, first downs, things like that. Being able to do that towards the end was great."

Here's a look at how each of the three Jets' quarterbacks performed:

Josh McCown (8 for 13, 113 yards, 2 touchdowns, 1 interception) - After an ugly first drive, he got a huge break when Chris Harper, a third-year pro who joined the Jets in May, broke free down the field when cornerback Buster Skrine stumbled. McCown hit him in stride for a 55-yard touchdown that made his night look better than it probably was.

McCown did throw another touchdown, too - to tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins - and for the most part he looked on target and knew where to go with the ball in offensive coordinator John Morton's scheme. The only blemish on his night was when he was picked off by rookie safety Marcus Maye, who returned it about 60 yards for a touchdown (though McCown disputed that Maye actually would've gotten the touchdown if players were allowed to tackle).

Christian Hackenberg (3 of 5, 44 yards, 1 touchdown) - Considering the low expectation levels after not playing last year and having an up-and-down start to camp, Hackenberg was remarkably efficient. His passes were crisp and he didn't make any big mistakes. He looked far more confident than the jittery quarterback from last preseason.

The one negative from his performance is he was sacked three times and clearly seemed to be holding onto the ball too long. That could simply be from a lack of playing in games. It could be a sign that he's still getting comfortable with his reads in the offense, too.

On one particularly play, though, he was able to escape the sack - barely. He made an impressive move to step up in the pocket on his final drive and find rookie tight end Jordan Leggett in the end zone.

"I thought it was awesome," McCown said. "It was a heck of a throw. Those are some of the things that get me excited about Hack."

Bryce Petty (4 of 12, 45 yards) - Petty has clearly been the odd-man out all summer, struggling to get reps and clearly sitting third in the pecking order of quarterbacks. This performance certainly won't help him. He was off target on many of his throws and was able to move the offense on only one of his four drives. And really, he wasn't all that impressive on that one either, completing 3 of 7 passes for 36 yards.

That drive ended with a field goal, which is something, at least.

"(I) had some good moments, had some bad moments," he said. "We had some things to grow from, which is good. … I definitely feel more comfortable out things. A lot of it was just I think I was trying too hard."

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/josh-mccown-leads-jets-qbs-during-green-and-white-scrimmage/246788654

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

8. The TEs look good.

The only thing I disagree with on there is that McCown looks like the best QB.  They all kind of look equal but can you really call a QB the best one when he's throwing the most interceptions in 11 on 11 drills?

Archived