Where has Austin Seferian-Jenkins gone?

JetNation

IMG_4353a.jpg

It doesn’t seem like long ago that the Jets twitterverse was overloaded with fans calling for Gang Green to offer tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins a long-term contract extension as he was producing some solid numbers in the early going of his 2017 season.

After sitting out the season’s first two games, Seferian-Jenkins entered the Jets lineup and made his presence felt immediately.  In his first eight games, the big tight end hauled in 39 catches for 288 yards and 3 touchdowns.  Since then, in his last three contests, Seferian-Jenkins has just five catches for 35 yards and hasn’t found the end zone since week seven.

Why the sudden drop in production?  Well, he hasn’t seen the targets of late that he saw earlier this season.  Prior to week 12, Seferian-Jenkins was targeted fewer than five times just once.  Over the last three contests, that has been the case twice.

Could it be fatigue?  Yes, this is his third year in the league, but due to disciplinary issues and lack of production, over his first two seasons, Seferian-Jenkins played just 214 and 190 snaps respectively.  This season, he’s already at 555.

Whether it’s due to fatigue or design, if Seferian-Jenkins doesn’t find himself making a few plays down the stretch, the fans’ screaming for a new contract could be toned down to a whisper.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
DxL4cdQKViY

Click here to read the full story...

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He's had the worst "luck" when it comes to the Refs this year.  Knowing our staff, they could be blaming him, and targeting/playing him less.

To be honest I'm okay with them targeting him less. IMO he's earned a new contract with us and would rather see the ball go to other receivers. Not to mention keeping his stats lower could help us retain him for a cheaper rate then if he were to continue to produce like he was.

He isn't that good.  Has worst DVOA of all TEs.  Only seems decent because we had no TEs the past 2 years.

Rather than bring him back, let's upgrade the position, get a TE who can actually make plays more than 5 yards downfield, and hold onto ball when he gets to the end zone so refs can't rob him of TDs.  Jimmy Graham is a FA, sign him and reunite him with Morton.  

While the point others have made about the TD robbery is certainly true, he's still definitely been a bit shaky in the second half of the year.  I've been surprised by how much less he's been thrown to, but he's also had a number of issues with those limited opportunities, including plenty of drops.  I think he'd still be worth bringing back, as I have to imagine his price tag can't be all that high after this year, but I don't think the Jets should take it as him being the complete solution to their TE situation.  Unless they are convinced Leggett can be some sort of real answer next year and beyond, they can keep looking at the position.

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Has a problem securing the ball it seems. Worth a resign at small $$, otherwise....bye. 

But good for him getting his sh*t together, getting off the sauce and getting into shape mind and body. 

I agree - he doesnt have great hands, and given that he is a bigger guy at 265lbs, he isnt going to be strong running after the catch, so if he cant secure the jump ball type throws, his value really isnt as high as some might think.

I have no problem paying him $2/3 million per season but dont want to break the bank for a middle of the road TE.

As an aside, Cameron Brate is a FA and likely looking to move on from Tampa as that spot is OJ Howards going forward.

On 12/14/2017 at 1:39 PM, BCJet said:

I agree - he doesnt have great hands, and given that he is a bigger guy at 265lbs, he isnt going to be strong running after the catch, so if he cant secure the jump ball type throws, his value really isnt as high as some might think.

I have no problem paying him $2/3 million per season but dont want to break the bank for a middle of the road TE.

As an aside, Cameron Brate is a FA and likely looking to move on from Tampa as that spot is OJ Howards going forward.

Brate should definitely be a target. Much more reliable than ASJ, gets deeper much faster. 

On 12/14/2017 at 11:03 AM, HessStation said:

It's a good question but if he can just stop being a loser off the field, boy, it would nice not to have to worry about the TE position for a couple years. He's legit. 

What do you mean to not worry about him off the field? He hasn’t done anything negative since the Jets signed him. 

Although he hsnt really produced in the past 5 games, I do believe he has some credit to Kearse and Anderson’s success. It will be a no brainer to re sign this guy. Now am I saying throw Gronk money? Hell no. But there should be absolutely no reason why he cannot come back as a starter or backup. He’s a good guy to have in the locker room. I like that fat defensive lineman we have that takes playoffs off and shows up late to meetings. That fat pig. 

I don't think he makes big plays on a regular basis. Of course he has gotten screwed by officials on a few occasions. He's an NFL player but not sure he can be a reliable starter. If you asked me right now I think he's not going to be a starter next season. I would keep Tomlinson though who is a good blocker and not bad as a backup or second tight end. 

Archived