Do we really want Kirk Cousins?

Freemanm

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I have to be honest this was outstanding analysis!!!

The analysis was crystal clear only Jets and Brown have the funds to get Cousins outright. 

And I think the Browns will be going the draft route with 2 picks in the top 4

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

And I think the Browns will be going the draft route with 2 picks in the top 4

The key is you really have to like Cousins because if you want him you are going to ineffect make him the highest player in the league at least right now.  

They compared Cousins favorably to Mat Ryan and Mattew Stafford as far as his statistics.  

But the numbers coming down the pike are astronomical    And it is also clear the Skins are a stupid organization  

11 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The key is you really have to like Cousins because if you want him you are going to ineffect make him the highest player in the league at least right now.  

They compared Cousins favorably to Mat Ryan and Mattew Stafford as far as his statistics.  

But the numbers coming down the pike are astronomical    And it is also clear the Skins are a stupid organization  

Cousins production is remarkably similar to Matt Ryan's over the last 3 seasons.  And 'highest paid' in the NFL usually lasts a week, never more than a season.  By the time year 3 rolls around, he'll be the 10th highest paid player or even lower.  Amazes me that Snyder would throw that kind of money to Albert Haynesworth but not a productive QB.

23 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yeah, after listening to that interview, and the guy really seemed to know what he's talking about, the fact that only the Jets, and Browns are really the only teams that can afford him with out destroying their cap, plus the fact that Macc has already  tried to trade for him, strongly indicates to me that there is a high probability that Cousins will be a Jet next year.

Jackie Davidson  better be wording up a complicated offer that the Skins can't match

15 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

That wasn’t Macc evaluating, watching college tape and drafting a QB though. That was a simple low risk-high reward flyer and he was, at the time of the trade, viewed as a really solid back up. Mac only truly chose 2 QB’s ..and they both sucked but hey.. you hit or miss. Two swings. Get us the guy this time..it’s the best QB draft in awhile. I’ll be expecting Rosen or Mayfield because I truly believe in my heart of hearts that Darnold is going back to school.

I'm not really arguing the merits of the trade.  Mac was very familiar with Fitz from his days at Houston.

From a purely technical standpoint, the current GM has spent 2nd, 4th, and 6th round draft picks on the quarterback position, and he has essentially nothing to show for it.  We need a complete rebuild at the position.  We don't even have a 3rd stringer to show for the capital spent.

With that kind of record, I'd opt for the proven talent with years of experience vs. trusting the judgement that's been on display thus far.

14 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, after listening to that interview, and the guy really seemed to know what he's talking about, the fact that only the Jets, and Browns are really the only teams that can afford him with out destroying their cap, plus the fact that Macc has already  tried to trade for him, strongly indicates to me that there is a high probability that Cousins will be a Jet next year.

Jackie Davidson  better be wording up a complicated offer that the Skins can't match

If what you say is true, we may even give up a draft pick for him as well. That is if the Skins hit Cousins with the Transitional tag, interesting stuff...

Nah. 

Spend the money on oline and pass rush, draft 2 QBs 

Look how many teams get stuck after giving a huge contract to a QB. 

Let's not start the rebuild stuck with a huge QB contract 

He just doesn't elevate his team 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Nah. 

Spend the money on oline and pass rush, draft 2 QBs 

Look how many teams get stuck after giving a huge contract to a QB. 

Let's not start the rebuild stuck with a huge QB contract 

He just doesn't elevate his team 

Jets with Sanchez annnnnnd...

14 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If what you say is true, we may even give up a draft pick for him as well. That is if the Skins hit Cousins with the Transitional tag, interesting stuff...

That's what that agent said.  Under the transition tag, which is what the Skins will probably use, you don't have to surrender a pick.  Either the Skins match, or he's gone

Just now, Larz said:

Brees, Flacco, Stafford, Palmer, rivers 

They don't suck, but they stuck in neutral 

Yeah but in the cases of Brees, Stafford and Rivers, it wasn't the QB that dragged the team down.  Those were good contracts but the rest of the teams weren't good enough.

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Oh boi, really doubling down on this one eh? 4 perrenial playoff contenders and the no luck former potential badass that is Carson Palmer? First world problems yo 

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

That's what that agent said.  Under the transition tag, which is what the Skins will probably use, you don't have to surrender a pick.  Either the Skins match, or he's gone

Yes that is where I got my great insight! :) 

The only way to get him would be then to make a deal with the Skins, which isn't crazy because Mac did try and make a deal for Cousins before.

One wonders what would have happened if we had gotten Cousins and we never had Fitz or McCown under center.

While Cousins is # 1 on my wish list I don't want the Jets to do something completely crazy.   Thankfully Macc has shown he's a pragmatist who won't let emotion sway him into making a terrible decision.

The good news is if the Broncos got Cousins they're not drafting a QB, and we become their best trading partner in the event teams are trying to move up to 5.

It would also mean the Jets can take a look at guys like Landry, Bell, and O Line to help whatever QB they draft.

Under no circumstances should they sign Keenum, Bridgewater, Alex Smith etc..  F that!  That would be the worst case scenario.

If you're drafting a QB then resign McCown who is familiar with the offense and an ideal mentor to the new guy.

18 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The only way to get him would be then to make a deal with the Skins, which isn't crazy because Mac did try and make a deal for Cousins before.

One wonders what would have happened if we had gotten Cousins and we never had Fitz or McCown under center.

Yeah, the guy was good

Yes, if the Skins match the offer sheet the Jets could still trade for him.

The optimum goal here is to write a contract that the Skins can't match.  That's Jackie Davidson's  job.

Some thing like coming up with a contract that creates a 55M cap hit year one.  Jets still have 45M in cap space.  Skins only have a total of 50M cap space.  Can't match.  Or as the agent mentioned, put an opt out clause in it.  If Jackie does some creative writing there shouldn't be any need for a draft pick.  If the Jets are balls to the wall for Cousins they will get it done.

Question is, do the Jets REALLY want to spend that much money on Cousins?  If the rumor is true that Darnold is stupidly going back to school it really changes the landscape  about the Jets getting a good QB at 6.

For now I've changed teams and want to sign Cousins..............For now :)

21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

On 1/2/2018 at 5:22 PM, SenorGato said:

Excuses excuses, but at the end of the day Mayfield’s team lost. He lost the most important game of his life - title for the second best team. Guy proved he cannot win on a bigger stage, just as fellow compiler Cousins did in his NFL playoff appearance.

Peyton Manning never beat Florida once and never won a title in college..minus the Super Bowls and HOF career that guy was a loser

20 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Peyton Manning never beat Florida once and never won a title in college..minus the Super Bowls and HOF career that guy was a loser

Manning is one of the few, extremely few, who Learn How to Win after years and years of habitual Compiling. Guy took almost ten years as a starter to learn. Even still he had more years he Compiled than years he Won. Do the Jets or their fans have the patience to wait 10 years for someone like Mayfield, displaying all the symptoms of a career compiler? 

15 hours ago, flgreen said:

If they are going to go crazy over this guy, that's the way to do it.  if it happens, it happens.  I'm just not on board at this point, but won't jump out a window if it happens.  At least they did something

We are so utterly desperate for a QB

no price is too high to pay for QB competence for this organization 

9 hours ago, Jet Life said:

Mayfield is going to suck in the nfl but not because he lost in the college fb playoff

43 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Mayfield is going to suck in the nfl but not because he lost in the college fb playoff

I think he will be good but understand why people don't think he would be. The logic of hes going to stink because he lost a playoff game is very stupid though

I would rather they trade into the top 2 picks and get Rosen or Darnold.  But since this is unlikley (because Browns and Giants will pick QBs and not trade out), Cousins could be appealing.

My fear is that they trade up for the #3 pick, but to select Allen.  

16 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

I'm not really arguing the merits of the trade.  Mac was very familiar with Fitz from his days at Houston.

From a purely technical standpoint, the current GM has spent 2nd, 4th, and 6th round draft picks on the quarterback position, and he has essentially nothing to show for it.  We need a complete rebuild at the position.  We don't even have a 3rd stringer to show for the capital spent.

With that kind of record, I'd opt for the proven talent with years of experience vs. trusting the judgement that's been on display thus far.

Not wrong but considering the average career length for players in rounds 4-7 is 2-3 years and round 2 is 3-6 years I'd say he's kinda where he should be. 

15 hours ago, Larz said:

Not sure I'd include Brees considering he has a good shot at going to the Super Bowl this year. (Rams and Saints are my picks for the NFC) I think you need to understand % of cap space allocated to realize why this is a bad post. We are in a situation where we can offer the moon and not put ourselves in cap hell.

15 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Pick swap with the Redskins is the only thing I would consider.

We get cousins and 13 and they get 6 and the choice of their QB who is left on the board.

This also allows us to take an edge rusher like Landry or Clelin Ferrell and keep our second round pick for an offensive lineman and hopefully Nick Chubb

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

We get cousins and 13 and they get 6 and the choice of their QB who is left on the board.

This also allows us to take an edge rusher like Landry or Clelin Ferrell and keep our second round pick for an offensive lineman and hopefully Nick Chubb

why do Raiders want a QB?

http://www.businessinsider.com/jon-gruden-derek-carr-helped-raiders-job-2018-1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

If the Skins put the transition tag on Cousins, and he is willing to play for the Jets, no picks should be necessary.  The Jets have the money to just get him where the Skins can't match.

Unless the Browns get involved in the Sweepstakes

Talked to a few Skins fans yesterday about how good he actually was. From what I understand he can really win in the playoffs with a top 10 defensecand a good running game. Some say he can perform outside of Grudens system, others were heistent to give me a definite answer. They for the most part, agreed he is worth whatever he wants and Dan Snyder botched this entire thing because he has convinced himself that he put a decent team around Cousins for him to succeed when in reality he hasn’t done anything good for the offense so his narcissistic mindset is blaming Cousins for the 7-9, 8-8 seasons. He has done more with less for 3 straight years. Was very surprised with the things I heard. here are some of those...

Give him a decent running game and a top 10 defense and one good WR and people won't be questioning why his Top 5 stats don't get enough wins. Then you'd find out if he can win playoff games, because there is no way the Redskins are ever going to find out whether they sign him or not.”

“The Jets are a playoff team with Cousins. I mean this is the same AFC where the Bills and Titans made the playoffs.“

“They didn't think Cousins was good after 2015 so they waited, and waited, and waited, because they don't have a clue. They probably don't even realize that Cousins proved them wrong 3 seasons in a row. They're morons, what can you expect? That's the real reason why our GM is gone. He was probably clowning on their idiocy, maybe while he was drunk he just couldn't hold it back but they were all drinking at their facilities so they can't say it was the alcohol when they practically serve it there.”

Dan Snyder is a buffoon who has convinced himself that the defense, offensive weapons, and special teams are all good enough. Cousins just can't put the team on his back and win with 0 help in reality. But find me the QB who has won with 0 offensive weapons other than a 3rd down back that no other team in the NFL signed when he was on our practice squad, and a defense that is ranked close to 30th and gave up 30 points in almost all of our losses, and a special teams unit that has no returner besides the guy who can't stop fumbling the ball and a coaching staff that can't stop blowing leads and giving up up to 21 points in the last 2 minutes of either half.

Bowles will be a great coach for Cousins if they have the right kind of offense for Cousins. I don't know if he's going to step into any offense and do what he did here.”

Not sure he has enough to consistently win games against New England or Pittsburgh “

He's a good QB and a good person. Unfortunately I think it will better off for him playing for a non dysfunctional team, a team that will not question his abilities year in year out.”

lol this one just doesn’t even know.

25 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Talked to a few Skins fans yesterday about how good he actually was. From what I understand he can really win in the playoffs with a top 10 defensecand a good running game. Some say he can perform outside of Grudens system, others were heistent to give me a definite answer. They for the most part, agreed he is worth whatever he wants and Dan Snyder botched this entire thing because he has convinced himself that he put a decent team around Cousins for him to succeed when in reality he hasn’t done anything good for the offense so his narcissistic mindset is blaming Cousins for the 7-9, 8-8 seasons. He has done more with less for 3 straight years. Was very surprised with the things I heard. here are some of those...

Give him a decent running game and a top 10 defense and one good WR and people won't be questioning why his Top 5 stats don't get enough wins. Then you'd find out if he can win playoff games, because there is no way the Redskins are ever going to find out whether they sign him or not.”

“The Jets are a playoff team with Cousins. I mean this is the same AFC where the Bills and Titans made the playoffs.“

“They didn't think Cousins was good after 2015 so they waited, and waited, and waited, because they don't have a clue. They probably don't even realize that Cousins proved them wrong 3 seasons in a row. They're morons, what can you expect? That's the real reason why our GM is gone. He was probably clowning on their idiocy, maybe while he was drunk he just couldn't hold it back but they were all drinking at their facilities so they can't say it was the alcohol when they practically serve it there.”

Dan Snyder is a buffoon who has convinced himself that the defense, offensive weapons, and special teams are all good enough. Cousins just can't put the team on his back and win with 0 help in reality. But find me the QB who has won with 0 offensive weapons other than a 3rd down back that no other team in the NFL signed when he was on our practice squad, and a defense that is ranked close to 30th and gave up 30 points in almost all of our losses, and a special teams unit that has no returner besides the guy who can't stop fumbling the ball and a coaching staff that can't stop blowing leads and giving up up to 21 points in the last 2 minutes of either half.

Bowles will be a great coach for Cousins if they have the right kind of offense for Cousins. I don't know if he's going to step into any offense and do what he did here.”

Not sure he has enough to consistently win games against New England or Pittsburgh “

He's a good QB and a good person. Unfortunately I think it will better off for him playing for a non dysfunctional team, a team that will not question his abilities year in year out.”

I joined a Redskins Forum a few weeks ago to get their opinion of him and I saw many of the same comments. For those who are upset that we'd be spending so much in cap space I suggest reading my Mock Offseason and see just what we can do with all that room.

V

59 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

as far as system they are using a WCO since a Gruden is HC. so coming here w/Bowles would mean we keep WCO even if Morton joins Gruden in oakland..

5 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

as far as system they are using a WCO since a Gruden is HC. so coming here w/Bowles would mean we keep WCO even if Morton joins Gruden in oakland..

Don’t think Morton is going anywhere. We’d have to allow him to leave. Don’t think it’s going to happen. 

Archived