Bucky Brooks Mock: Jets go...

jgb

Find this article at:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000910983/article/bucky-brooks-mock-draft-10-broncos-jags-among-6-to-pick-qb

Bucky Brooks Mock Draft 1.0: Broncos, Jags among 6 to pick QB

• bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL.com Analyst
  • Published: Jan. 26, 2018 at 08:56 a.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 26, 2018 at 09:19 a.m.

MOBILE, Ala. -- A week of practices here at the Senior Bowl didn't make me re-evaluate much of what I saw on game tape from the top players in attendance, although it did confirm some of the beliefs I already had about players like Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield and Wyoming QB Josh Allen.

My first mock of the 2018 NFL Draft is primarily a reflection of the abundance of teams looking for answers at the quarterback position. I forecast six QBs to go in Round 1, which would be the most since 1983. That group is widely regarded as the best QB class of all time (John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino). Now, I believe some of this year's QBs are being overvalued, but it won't prevent them from being picked high because numerous teams are in desperate need of a franchise QB.

This mock is indicative of how I believe teams view these players, and it's not necessarily a reflection of my opinion of where the players should go.

NOTE: There's a tie for the ninth overall pick. A coin flip between the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders will determine which team picks first. Also, the order for pick Nos. 31 and 32 has yet to be determined, as they're dependent on the outcome of Super Bowl LII. For the purposes of this exercise, we have placed those two teams (Eagles and Patriots) according to regular-season record, with strength of schedule as a tiebreaker.

PICK

NYJ.png

Baker Mayfield - QB, Oklahoma

The Heisman Trophy winner could be an enticing option for the Jets based on his alpha-dog mentality and ability to win big games.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JetsFanatic said:

I like Mayfield 

Macc is either a hero or on the street this time next year. He will either land a big name FA QB or will pick one in the draft. All or nothing for him this offseason.

I like Mayfield too. Or course, I also liked Manziel...

Beginning of the season mayfield was 2nd round material to me. 

Mid season, easily first round.

Now, easily top 5. He’s a better prospect than Trubisky, and only an inch shorter, 6 lbs lighter, with bigger hands than Trubisky. So I don’t see the lack of love Mayfield has gotten.

But, I think I will be forever pissed that Mac gave up on he trade up for Wentz/Goff (whichever he preferred) and not drafting Mahomes or Watson last year at 6. While, I love Mayfield I don’t see his ceiling as high as Mahomes or Wentz. But I do see him as a true franchise quarterback who with the right team, will probably be a better pro than Darnold.

I heard months ago from someone fairly reliable that Mayfield is who the Jets have liked all along and thought they could get without a tradeup aka lost draft picks. They will still go after Cousins as there is no crapshoot w/a proven Vet, but if that falls apart I can totally see this.

1 minute ago, SouthernJet said:

I heard months ago from someone fairly reliable that Mayfield is who the Jets have liked all along and thought they could get without a tradeup aka lost draft picks. They will still go after Cousins as there is no crapshoot w/a proven Vet, but if that falls apart I can totally see this.

Asuming this is true...and they really like Mayfield.  I just can't envision a scenario in which they won't have to trade up.  

If he's your targeted guy you simply can't sit back and hope he drops.  You have to make the move to 3 and get it done.  

IMO, Top 3 picks in the draft will be QB's - just a matter of will the Jets be one of them.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

If Macc has shown us anything its that he is not a risk taker.

No way he picks Mayfield. No way.

He literally has to take a risk on a QB this offseason.

That 2 year extension means dick. Both he and Bowles will be out the door come January 2019 if they try sticking another bandaid on the QB position.

I refuse to believe that they’re so goddamn stupid not to realize this.

They either have to throw the bank at Cousins or make a move for one of the top QB’s in the 1st round.

Be very happy with Mayfield, but I think his good performance during Senior Bowl week might push him in front of the Jets.  Not sure Macc can gamble on a good QB being available in the draft at 6, and goes all in on Cousins.  The way they are hiring, and interviewing O coaches indicates to me that they are going to run an O that is appealing to Cousins.  JMO

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Macc is either a hero or on the street this time next year. He will either land a big name FA QB or will pick one in the draft. All or nothing for him this offseason.

I like Mayfield too. Or course, I also liked Manziel...

He just received a 2 year extension. It’s pretty much a given he’s been told to get a QB one way or the other. So I believe if by 2019 the team hasn’t significantly improved, he’s then a goner. Bowles, on the other hand, not so sure. If after the 2018 season, Bowles hasn’t improved his coaching methods etc, Mac will get to pick his own QB in 2019. 

24 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I do not profess to be a QB guru, but I think I have a good eye for QBs  and which ones will succeed at the next level. When I watch Baker I see a Top 10 QB in the NFL, likely Top 5. I am OK with the Jets trading to 1 to get him even if it costs both seconds and next years one. I think he will be special as long as he stays focused on football. I think Baker is not the same as Manziel though and will provide the dedication and focus needed to be the "guy". Do I think the Jets will draft him? No, unless Bowles and Mac have assurances that they get a mulligan for next season if they go for the rookie QB. I hate Bowles and Mac but since the decision to retain them have been made then the Johnsons need to make that commitment. Otherwise Bowles and Mac will be in full on protect their job modes and will never draft and start a rookie.

Baker has looked awesome in Senior Bowl practices, not even sure we get him at 3. 

Also, people are focused on the #3 slot as the trade up position, but I am not certain that the Giants will actually go QB there. I still think the ownership is loyal to Eli so dont be shocked if the #2 pick is available by trade. Then we would only need to fade 1 pick, and because of Manziel I just cant see Cleveland picking Baker. Josh Allen actually does make a lot of sense for them

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

If Macc has shown us anything its that he is not a risk taker.

No way he picks Mayfield. No way.

If he doesn't get Cousins and Mayfield is available, not sure he has a choice.   If he passes and Mayfield plays well somewhere else he will be gone.   JMO, better to swing and miss on this one than get caught looking.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

He literally has to take a risk on a QB this offseason.

That 2 year extension means dick. Both he and Bowles will be out the door come January 2019 if they try sticking another bandaid on the QB position.

I refuse to believe that they’re so goddamn stupid not to realize this.

They either have to throw the bank at Cousins or make a move for one of the top QB’s in the 1st round.

agree although there may be some scenarios where cousins isn't the big qb name or they still draft a highly rated prospect and so on.  people have wonder where a guy like garrapalo came from.  maybe he wasn't ready to play right out of the box but by year two he was probably ready.  and he was a third rounder.

13 minutes ago, pajet said:

If he doesn't get Cousins and Mayfield is available, not sure he has a choice.   If he passes and Mayfield plays well somewhere else he will be gone.   JMO, better to swing and miss on this one than get caught looking.

Completely agree.  If the Jets miss out on Cousins (If Mac even goes after him at all), I  would hope that Mac realizes that he cannot kick the QB can down the road another year by signing another stop gap veteran, so he will be forced to address the position in the first round of the draft.  The question then becomes how aggressive he might get to grab his QB of choice. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Good find.

After seeing the reports from the Senior Bowl, I cannot find a single reason that this kid shouldnt be our pick, and I have a feeling we as fans will regret it for years if Mac passes on him.  Sure Cousins could be a good fit, but I think Mayfield, along with Adams, can transform this entire organization.

Mayfield was lauded this week for being first in every rep, being the only QB routinely congratulating the WRs after catches, and having an infectious vibe on the practice field.  I personally watched a practice rep where Allen ripped a throw (insane throw btw) to the corner of a TD, and there was mayfield jumping back to back into him congratulating him on the throw, even though its a fellow QB he is competing with.

The NFL is moving more towards the college game, and QBs need to have some mobility and Baker's ability to move in the pocket, and keep his eyes downfield is the number one thing it takes for these guys to succeed in the NFL.

Lastly - the final shoe to drop was his physical limitations.  6 foot 3/8 and 9.5 inch hands should officially end any semblance of a question about his size.  

Picking a QB in the top 10 is a big time bet, and I cannot think of a player Id rather push my chips in on if I was Mac then this kid.  Sign a center, 2 CBs, and draft a RB to pair with him in the second round and lets see what he can do for this offense.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Asuming this is true...and they really like Mayfield.  I just can't envision a scenario in which they won't have to trade up.  

If he's your targeted guy you simply can't sit back and hope he drops.  You have to make the move to 3 and get it done.  

IMO, Top 3 picks in the draft will be QB's - just a matter of will the Jets be one of them.

Question is do you trade of for a 6'1 quarterback?

I want Mayfiled and all, but giving up a 2nd and possibly a 2019 1st rounder might be too much for a guy that carries so much risk.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I do not profess to be a QB guru, but I think I have a good eye for QBs  and which ones will succeed at the next level. When I watch Baker I see a Top 10 QB in the NFL, likely Top 5. I am OK with the Jets trading to 1 to get him even if it costs both seconds and next years one. I think he will be special as long as he stays focused on football. I think Baker is not the same as Manziel though and will provide the dedication and focus needed to be the "guy". Do I think the Jets will draft him? No, unless Bowles and Mac have assurances that they get a mulligan for next season if they go for the rookie QB. I hate Bowles and Mac but since the decision to retain them have been made then the Johnsons need to make that commitment. Otherwise Bowles and Mac will be in full on protect their job modes and will never draft and start a rookie.

Baker has looked awesome in Senior Bowl practices, not even sure we get him at 3. 

Also, people are focused on the #3 slot as the trade up position, but I am not certain that the Giants will actually go QB there. I still think the ownership is loyal to Eli so dont be shocked if the #2 pick is available by trade. Then we would only need to fade 1 pick, and because of Manziel I just cant see Cleveland picking Baker. Josh Allen actually does make a lot of sense for them

Saints, Bills, Dolphins, and our Jets spent the most time meeting with mayfield at senior bowl, as per Baker Mayfield. I wouldn’t rule us out.

Archived