Bucky Brooks Mock: Jets go...

jgb

Baker Mayfield is the type of QB this team needs.  He seems like the type of Joe Willy confident type who won't be overwhelmed by the pressure. He actually seems to operate better in higher pressure situations. He could be gone prior to 6 but his height (Thankfully) will make it hard for a team to justify trading up to 3 to take him. TL:DR if he's there I hope they draft him. But am also still keeping an open mind about Lamar Jackson. Just get a QB Mac 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Baker Mayfield is the type of QB this team needs.  He seems like the type of Joe Willy confident type who won't be overwhelmed by the pressure. He actually seems to operate better in higher pressure situations. He could be gone prior to 6 but his height (Thankfully) will make it hard for a team to justify trading up to 3 to take him. TL:DR if he's there I hope they draft him. But am also still keeping an open mind about Lamar Jackson. Just get a QB Mac 

He's got the experience, pedigree, and numbers to justify the pick. And more importantly he could potentially grab his dick and balls right in Belichick's face. Sign me up.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I'd be happy with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. I have no strong opinion on anyone else I'm weary of Jackson and Allen, but could possibly be talked into either. 

Also, this endless stream of meaningless mock drafts is insufferable. 

strap on the feed bag, mock  season just getting started 

7 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

I heard months ago from someone fairly reliable that Mayfield is who the Jets have liked all along and thought they could get without a tradeup aka lost draft picks. They will still go after Cousins as there is no crapshoot w/a proven Vet, but if that falls apart I can totally see this.

WHO?

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/74285/jets-meet-with-qb-baker-mayfield-during-senior-bowl-week

Jets meet with QB Baker Mayfield during Senior Bowl week

The New York Jets have three months to evaluate the quarterbacks in the upcoming NFL draft -- and every other position, of course. The process gained momentum this week in Mobile, Alabama, where two of the top four quarterback prospects -- Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield -- practiced at the Senior Bowl.

Based on reports out of Mobile, Mayfield outperformed Allen on the practice field -- one small piece in a giant puzzle that will come together before the April 27 draft. The game will be played on Saturday (2:30 p.m., NFL Network), although Mayfield isn't expected to play.

The Jets had a private sitdown with Mayfield, one of the many prospects they met with in Mobile. The Heisman Trophy winner from Oklahoma met "extensively" with the Jets, Buffalo BillsMiami Dolphins and New Orleans, according to The MMQB. From what I'm told, the Jets didn't meet with Mayfield any longer than the other players.

In the coming weeks and months, the Jets will have quite a bit of interaction with Mayfield, Allen, Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen -- i.e. meetings, classroom sessions and private workouts. In Mayfield's case, the meetings are vital because of questions about his character and off-the-field behavior.

"That's the only upside for me (attending the Senior Bowl)," Mayfield told The MMQB. "I'm confident I can show exactly what I'm about, how much I care about football and how I'd do anything to win. And not just that. Put me on a board and let me show you how much I know about the game. Let me show that I can pick information up, take it and run with it. Getting in front of these people was so important, even bigger than the three years of film I put together."

Here’s how I’d approach this if I were Macc:

I’d tell Todd that we were 100% drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick. I’d bring in Fitzpatrick two, three times for interviews. I’d ask Todd to host the Fitzpatrick family at his house on the night of each interview. I’d send them to a Broadway show together. I’d fire up Netflix in my office during an interview and we’d all watch one of those Kevin Hart standup specials and we’d all laugh our asses off. I’d order one of those 23andMe DNA test things and fake the results so that they show Todd and Minkah are distant relatives. Then when the day of the draft came, I’d carry a peach in my pocket and when it came my turn to pick, I’d pull out the peach and start eating it. Todd would, no doubt, have leaked to Josina Anderson that we were picking Fitzpatrick, so the ESPN and NFLN cameras would be locked in on Minkah and Todd pointing at each other and laughing and sh*t. But I’d just be eating away at that peach. Fourteen minutes left, I’m eating that peach. Ten minutes, eating that peach. Nine, eight, six. Peach, peach, peach. Sloppy-style, too. Juice dripping all over the card table, onto the card where I wrote the name of the player I’m picking. Albert Breer would be tweeting “It’s Minkah Fitzpatrick” and, like, 26% of the fanbase would be all pumped up. With one minute left, I’d be done with the peach and I’d stare at Todd—stare him straight in the eye, and I’d start sucking that sweet peach juice off my fingers, one by one, making a real show of it. NFLN would be running the Fitzpatrick highlight package. Mel Kiper will have said “versatility” roughly thirty times in the past fourteen minutes. When I got to sucking the juice off my pointer finger, I’d say, “Todd...” (and I’d stick my thumb in my mouth to get the last of the peach juice) “Todd, number one...” and there’d be 15 seconds left “F%ck you and your safeties.” Then I’d use the card where I wrote Fitzpatrick’s name to wipe the peach juice from my chin and, with five seconds left, I’d draft Baker Mayfield.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d tell Todd that we were 100% drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick. I’d bring in Fitzpatrick two, three times for interviews. I’d ask Todd to host the Fitzpatrick family at his house on the night of each interview. I’d send them to a Broadway show together. I’d fire up Netflix in my office during an interview and we’d all watch one of those Kevin Hart standup specials and we’d all laugh our asses off. I’d order one of those 23andMe DNA test things and fake the results so that they show Todd and Minkah are distant relatives. Then when the day of the draft came, I’d carry a peach in my pocket and when it came my turn to pick, I’d pull out the peach and start eating it. Todd would, no doubt, have leaked to Josina Anderson that we were picking Fitzpatrick, so the ESPN and NFLN cameras would be locked in on Minkah and Todd pointing at each other and laughing and sh*t. But I’d just be eating away at that peach. Fourteen minutes left, I’m eating that peach. Ten minutes, eating that peach. Nine, eight, six. Peach, peach, peach. Sloppy-style, too. Juice dripping all over the card table, onto the card where I wrote the name of the player I’m picking. Albert Breer would be tweeting “It’s Minkah Fitzpatrick” and, like, 26% of the fanbase would be all pumped up. With one minute left, I’d be done with the peach and I’d stare at Todd—stare him straight in the eye, and I’d start sucking that sweet peach juice off my fingers, one by one, making a real show of it. NFLN would be running the Fitzpatrick highlight package. Mel Kiper will have said “versatility” roughly thirty times in the past fourteen minutes. When I got to sucking the juice off my pointer finger, I’d say, “Todd...” (and I’d stick my thumb in my mouth to get the last of the peach juice) “Todd, number one...” and there’d be 15 seconds left “F%ck you and your safeties.” Then I’d use the card where I wrote Fitzpatrick’s name to wipe the peach juice from my chin and, with five seconds left, I’d draft Baker Mayfield.

Post.Of.The.Year.

you know not sh*t if you disagree.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

jmo Bowels would put out a hit on McGM. The good news is this might lead to Morton finally taking the throne he built Bowels, hopefully he can polish the stupid off. 

5 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

If Mayfield keeps rising, what makes any of you think that the Giants wouldn't take him over Rosen?  Rosen is Jay Cutler Part II.

I have the same feel on Rosen. He is a gifted passer, like Cutler, but something is a little off with him. I never noticed him making UCLA better. Could it have been coaching or talent? I guess. But still I've always come away now impressed with his talent than his ability to lead a team. 

Kids like Mayfield and Darnold seem like natural born leaders. 

5 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Question is do you trade of for a 6'1 quarterback?

I want Mayfiled and all, but giving up a 2nd and possibly a 2019 1st rounder might be too much for a guy that carries so much risk.

Is his risk any higher than a guy whose had concussion, shoulder & attitude issues(Rosen) or a guy who's played with the equivalent of a college all-star team and still struggled to put up quality numbers(Darnold).

Ideal situation is landing Mayfield at 6, I just don't know if I see it happening. It will be interesting after the combine, if Allen, Darnold, and Rosen are the clear top 3 from scouts then maybe we hang back at 6 but I think we ultimately trade up for whoever our QB will be.

Macc is either a hero or on the street this time next year. He will either land a big name FA QB or will pick one in the draft. All or nothing for him this offseason.
I like Mayfield too. Or course, I also liked Manziel...
But why not both?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

14 minutes to eat a peach?

11 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

I heard months ago from someone fairly reliable that Mayfield is who the Jets have liked all along and thought they could get without a tradeup aka lost draft picks. They will still go after Cousins as there is no crapshoot w/a proven Vet, but if that falls apart I can totally see this.

I sure hope the poop you heard is good stuff.   If I had my way, we'd sign Cousins, and draft Mayfield....Of course that won't happen, but I want a QB.  LOL

13 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He literally has to take a risk on a QB this offseason.

That 2 year extension means dick. Both he and Bowles will be out the door come January 2019 if they try sticking another bandaid on the QB position.

I refuse to believe that they’re so goddamn stupid not to realize this.

They either have to throw the bank at Cousins or make a move for one of the top QB’s in the 1st round.

tumblr_inline_mhhwruEQFT1qz4rgp.gif

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He's got the experience, pedigree, and numbers to justify the pick. And more importantly he could potentially grab his dick and balls right in Belichick's face. Sign me up.

I'd give anything to see that.... It would take away the pain of the last 50 years of being a JETS fan lol...

I really believe Mayfield is the real deal. The kids got the moxi and stones for NY. He can play and is not a two year starter like some of the top prospects.

It's just I think we have to move up with Indy for him. I'd offer a 2nd this year and next years 1st plus the 6th. If he's the real deal it's more than worth it, we have the ammo so let's do it. 

If we sit back the Bills are offering their two 1's. We will be at 6 with all three franchise QB's gone. This is not the year to bottle the trade up.

There is only one scenario this does not happen, if Kirk Cousins is a Jet via FA. They have 100 mill in cap space 3 top picks, let's start to fill those holes in the roster!

49 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I really believe Mayfield is the real deal. The kids got the moxi and stones for NY. He can play and is not a two year starter like some of the top prospects.

It's just I think we have to move up with Indy for him. I'd offer a 2nd this year and next years 1st plus the 6th. If he's the real deal it's more than worth it, we have the ammo so let's do it. 

If we sit back the Bills are offering their two 1's. We will be at 6 with all three franchise QB's gone. This is not the year to bottle the trade up.

There is only one scenario this does not happen, if Kirk Cousins is a Jet via FA. They have 100 mill in cap space 3 top picks, let's start to fill those holes in the roster!

I agree with you on Mayfield. The guy is the real deal. I was a strong supporter of Watson last off-season and wanted the Jets to draft him. I feel twice as strong for Mayfield. The guy is tough, confident, and looks like a star. I am starting to get the feeling though that Mayfield may go #1 to Cleveland. Especially if the Jets move up to #3 before the draft. You never know how the draft will go but I am starting to think that if the Jets stay at 6 Mayfield will be gone. His strong showing at the Senior Bowl is only the start of his assent up the draft board IMO. I feel Mayfield is a special talent and all the things I witnessed while watching him play this past CFB season only accentuated that opinion. Now everyone who paid more attention to Rosen/Darnold are finally seeing the things Mayfield supporters have known all along. Wait until the combine. Mayfield will shine there too. I hope I'm wrong but Baker Mayfield may just be the #1 pick in this years draft after that. I doubt Cleveland will trade the #1 or that Macc will pay the price to get there if Cleveland is willing to trade that pick. So I am predicting that Mayfield will be the #1 pick in the 2018 NFL draft. If he isn't he will surely be top 5 or maybe even top 3. The Jets will have a QB going into Training Camp. I want that guy to be Baker Mayfield. I just don't think its going to happen.

I would rather the Jets not sign Cousins for the reasons I have mentioned over and over again.

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I agree with you on Mayfield. The guy is the real deal. I was a strong supporter of Watson last off-season and wanted the Jets to draft him. I feel twice as strong for Mayfield. The guy is tough, confident, and looks like a star. I am starting to get the feeling though that Mayfield may go #1 to Cleveland. Especially if the Jets move up to #3 before the draft. You never know how the draft will go but I am starting to think that if the Jets stay at 6 Mayfield will be gone. His strong showing at the Senior Bowl is only the start of his assent up the draft board IMO. I feel Mayfield is a special talent and all the things I witnessed while watching him play this past CFB season only accentuated that opinion. Now everyone who paid more attention to Rosen/Darnold are finally seeing the things Mayfield supporters have known all along. Wait until the combine. Mayfield will shine there too. I hope I'm wrong but Baker Mayfield may just be the #1 pick in this years draft after that. I doubt Cleveland will trade the #1 or that Macc will pay the price to get there if Cleveland is willing to trade that pick. So I am predicting that Mayfield will be the #1 pick in the 2018 NFL draft. If he isn't he will surely be top 5 or maybe even top 3. The Jets will have a QB going into Training Camp. I want that guy to be Baker Mayfield. I just don't think its going to happen.

I would rather the Jets not sign Cousins for the reasons I have mentioned over and over again.

I'll guarantee you that KIRK COUSINS will have a better next 4 years in the NFL than Baker Mayfield! If you have the chance to get a PROVEN starter in this league who has thrown for over 4000 yards in his last 3 seasons you go all out to secure that FRANCHISE QB. Some of the ex-players on NFL network have put Cousins as the 8th best QB in the NFL. 

I don't hate Baker Mayfield in fact I think he's going to be a good competive guy, but sitting at the #6 spot in the draft is no mans land & there's no way of even knowing if Mayfield will be there. You could have Darnold, Rosen & Mayfield gone when we pick. Imagine that scenario & Chubb and Barkley the other 2 players gone. Oh look, Minkah Fitzpatrick THE CONCENSUS BPA, you know damn well Bowles screams for another CB.

You Jet fans petitioning against going all out for Cousins might see the worst draft scenario play out right in front of your eyes in April.

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'll guarantee you that KIRK COUSINS will have a better next 4 years in the NFL than Baker Mayfield! If you have the chance to get a PROVEN starter in this league who has thrown for over 4000 yards in his last 3 seasons you go all out to secure that FRANCHISE QB. Some of the ex-players on NFL network have put Cousins as the 8th best QB in the NFL. 

I don't hate Baker Mayfield in fact I think he's going to be a good competive guy, but sitting at the #6 spot in the draft is no mans land & there's no way of even knowing if Mayfield will be there. You could have Darnold, Rosen & Mayfield gone when we pick. Imagine that scenario & Chubb and Barkley the other 2 players gone. Oh look, Minkah Fitzpatrick THE CONCENSUS BPA, you know damn well Bowles screams for another CB.

You Jet fans petitioning against going all out for Cousins might see the worst draft scenario play out right in front of your eyes in April.

Dude I understand the want for Cousins, I truly do. I also admire your passion when it comes to that want. I think the Jets will make a huge play for him as you do. I just think it will be for naught. I don't see him coming to a team that is almost a shadowy image of the team he is leaving. That coupled with the Jets instability is a major reason why I see him going elsewhere. There are other teams who will be in the Cousins hunt. Teams that were in the playoffs this year like Buffalo and maybe even Jacksonville. Don't think that there won't be a couple of surprise teams in the hunt for Cousins as well. Put yourself in Cousins shoes. Would you make a long term commitment to a team that has had the upheaval on the roster, coaching staff, and front office that the Jets have had? Especially since both the GM and HC are on short term deals? It could turn into a nightmare. Personally I believe Cousins will listen to the Jets when the time comes. I think the Jets will make him a great offer. I just think he goes elsewhere.

21 hours ago, pajet said:

If he doesn't get Cousins and Mayfield is available, not sure he has a choice.   If he passes and Mayfield plays well somewhere else he will be gone.   JMO, better to swing and miss on this one than get caught looking.

You just nailed it on the head. This year is so important for Mac to find QB. He can’t be scared to draft a guy and he busts.

Because after last year, Mac can’t afford to pass on more QB’s and they play well elsewhere. 

On 1/26/2018 at 10:26 AM, Kleckineau said:

If Macc has shown us anything its that he is not a risk taker.

No way he picks Mayfield. No way.

I don't understand this.  Wasn't hackenburg a big 2nd round risk?  And Lee was a questionable 1st round pick too.  The only slam dunks in rd 1 were Leo and Adams. 

Archived