Matt Forte Retires

Jet_Engine1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Building around Ryan Fitzpatrick, with the idea that the team would be a contender with him in the absence of 2015's impossible luck, was moronic. Either one of Forte or Powell I was ok with, for the reasons I outlined, but not both. You sign one of them and then you go to the draft for your other high-touch RB. It's a young man's position. If they were going to ink Powell anyway, then they could have stayed away from Forte (or vice versa). 

And to say "we did nothing moronic" when the 2 seasons that followed these and other moronic signings were both 5-win seasons, "nothing moronic" is a pretty hard argument to make.

They conservatively did 5-10 moronic moves for every 1 smart one. 

What's moronic is the idea that we were building around Fitz and using that as the argument.  They didn't even know that they would get Fitz back at the time, did they?  

They needed two backs because Powell is like china, his history is he can't handle a bigger load, look at the season ending game.  Do no, a reliable 3rd down back on the team isn't moronic.  5 wins when the world predicted 1 isn't a defense either.

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There was nothing moronic about the signing.  He still was a threat catching out of the backfield, which with weak QBs was an asset.  Add in the only other back on the team was an injury risk, always was tweaked when given an opportunity and thought to benefit from a decreased load.  Draft another RB and there's your three backs.  We did nothing moronic.  

It was a moronic signing.  Hence the results

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What's moronic is the idea that we were building around Fitz and using that as the argument.  They didn't even know that they would get Fitz back at the time, did they?  

They needed two backs because Powell is like china, his history is he can't handle a bigger load, look at the season ending game.  Do no, a reliable 3rd down back on the team isn't moronic.  5 wins when the world predicted 1 isn't a defense either.

Inking Forte/Powell, as what I think was the #4 highest paid backfield in the NFL, was moronic. You can sign one of them but not both.

One veteran has value. Two identical-use veterans not only stifles playing time of someone younger, which is bad enough. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy since it suppresses the likelihood of taking a RB higher than a late round why-not pick for the next 2 drafts. I said so at the time, and surprise surprise, that's exactly what happened.

It was moronic. Stay after class to write it on the blackboard 500x (or until it sinks in). :) 

Matt Forte Announces Retirement After 10 Seasons in NFL

SCOTT POLACEKFEBRUARY 28, 2018

New York Jets Matt Forte takes questions from fans as part a of fan forum during a NFL football training camp in Florham Park, N.J., Monday, July 31, 2017. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
Seth Wenig/Associated Press

Running back Matt Forte retired from the NFL on Wednesday after spending 10 seasons in the league with the Chicago Bears and New York Jets.

Forte announced the news on Twitter:

While Forte dealt with injury concerns in 2017 and tallied just 381 rushing yards, he isn't far removed from being one of the best running backs of his generation and ends his tenure with 9,796 career rushing yards.

The two-time Pro Bowler ran for more than 1,000 yards in five of his eight seasons with the Bears and never finished with fewer than 898 yards on the ground. He helped lead the team to the NFC Championship Game in the 2010 season as a stabilizing force in the offense both on the ground and in the aerial attack.

It was Forte's ability as a receiver that helped him stand out compared to many of his peers.

He finishes with 4,672 receiving yards in his career, tallying as many as 808 yards through the air in one season. Forte's ability as a receiver out of the backfield allowed him to stay on the field for all three downs and take advantage of matchup problems against opposing linebackers.

The Tulane product will be remembered for his explosiveness and two-way talent during his prime with the Bears, but his ability to play through the 2017 season is a testament to his durability.

Forte said in November 2016 he "wanted to play 10 years," per Connor Hughes of NJ.com, and pointed to his decision to change his diet and revamp his approach after having his knee scoped in 2010.

"I felt so much better," Forte said, "So I started changing everything. I changed this, and I didn't eat that. Then it was just about finding and doing all kinds of different things, like pre-hab. I wasn't waiting for an injury. I was doing stuff before to prevent it."

The approach worked, helping establish him as a stalwart in the backfield for many years.

He hinted in 2016 that his 10th campaign might be his last, which proves true with Wednesday's retirement.

"As a running back, after 10, you take into account: Is it worth it?" Forte said. "You need to think of your health, family time, stuff like that. After 10 years, I'll have to revisit it and see how many more I feel like playing."

He will now have the opportunity to turn his attention elsewhere and focus on his family and health as he leaves the game of football as one of the best Bears players in recent memory.

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I wish him well.

And to be honest it was a shame that he came here. It was a bad fit for both him and us.

Agreed.  Forte was a class act and a great player in this league for a long time.  Always my go to guy in fantasy drafts as well. ;-)  Just really consistent and a great all around RB.

Kind of a shame he didnt get a chance to get into the 10k club, he certainly could have if given a bigger role where he was a better fit. 

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Inking Forte/Powell, as what I think was the #4 highest paid backfield in the NFL, was moronic. You can sign one of them but not both.

One veteran has value. Two identical-use veterans not only stifles playing time of someone younger, which is bad enough. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy since it suppresses the likelihood of taking a RB higher than a late round why-not pick for the next 2 drafts. I said so at the time, and surprise surprise, that's exactly what happened.

It was moronic. Stay after class to write it on the blackboard 500x (or until it sinks in). :) 

Except we did draft a RB.  You have no clue that if a back they wanted was available they would have passed because of either RB, neither was big money and the Jets weren't in cap hell.  Having 2 backs to split the load to try and keep both healthy isn't moronic when everyone else or the Jets do it.  

19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Good for him.  Happy retirement.  

The Jets fans were conspicuously absent from that statement.

not much "roar of the crowd" in two 5 win seasons, I give us a pass on this one

and he did not say anything bad so his time with the Jets ended as well as could be expected - good luck Matt

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

That would be a PR nightmare, I hope the Jets are smart enough to go anywhere near that clown.

Colts not re-signing Gore... although he wants to go to a contender.  

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Except we did draft a RB.  You have no clue that if a back they wanted was available they would have passed because of either RB, neither was big money and the Jets weren't in cap hell.  Having 2 backs to split the load to try and keep both healthy isn't moronic when everyone else or the Jets do it.  

If you think signing Forte and Powell in March - 2 years guaranteed as a top-5 RB $ duo - had no influence on the draft, you are welcome to that opinion. As it happened, they did not draft a RB that year so you are dead wrong.

The 6th rounder they eventually use to draft a RB didn't come until over a year later. in 2016, they signed Forte, then Powell, then Robinson. No RBs in the draft. 

Imagine if I'd said to you, "We DID address the QB position the year before Macc got here. We drafted Boyd in round 6!" Because that's what I'm reading now.

Captain BAP didn't touch a RB in the 2016 draft because he'd just locked up Forte/Powell/Robinson. Then in 2017 he still had Forte/Powell locked up with another guaranteed $8m for the season (on top of an additional $4m in amortized SB between them that hadn't yet hit the cap).

So even in 2017 that's $12m of guaranteed cap hits for that duo (unless he could trade one of them, which he supposedly tried to do this past August with no takers). Based on that alone, there's no way he was pulling the trigger on a more dynamic RB prospect on days 1-2 in either of the past 2 drafts, any more than he was taking a QB early right after drafting Hack in round 2. 

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you think signing Forte and Powell in March - 2 years guaranteed as a top-5 RB $ duo - had no influence on the draft, you are welcome to that opinion. As it happened, they did not draft a RB that year so you are dead wrong.

The 6th rounder they eventually use to draft a RB didn't come until over a year later. in 2016, they signed Forte, then Powell, then Robinson. No RBs in the draft. 

Imagine if I'd said to you, "We DID address the QB position the year before Macc got here. We drafted Boyd in round 6!" Because that's what I'm reading now.

Once again, they drafted a QB. There's no proof that if they liked one earlier they wouldn't have drafted him because Powell was on the roster with Forte.  We weren't going into the season with 2 RBs.  What's the point?

And where does the top 5 RB $ duo come from?  What's left from pairs after you take away RBs who on their own made more money than those 2?  It's a ridiculous point that those 2 made 7 Mil while 9 RBs made 6+ Mil alone.

45 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Captain BAP didn't touch a RB in the 2016 draft because he'd just locked up Forte/Powell/Robinson. Then in 2017 he still had Forte/Powell locked up with another guaranteed $8m for the season (on top of an additional $4m in amortized SB between them that hadn't yet hit the cap).

So even in 2017 that's $12m of guaranteed cap hits for that duo (unless he could trade one of them, which he supposedly tried to do this past August with no takers). Based on that alone, there's no way he was pulling the trigger on a more dynamic RB prospect on days 1-2 in either of the past 2 drafts, any more than he was taking a QB early right after drafting Hack in round 2. 

Sure, thats what it means.  Stop, 12 Mil is nothing that would prevent anyone from drafting a RB. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2016/average/running-back/

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Once again, they drafted a QB. There's no proof that if they liked one earlier they wouldn't have drafted him because Powell was on the roster with Forte.  We weren't going into the season with 2 RBs.  What's the point?

And where does the top 5 RB $ duo come from?  What's left from pairs after you take away RBs who on their own made more money than those 2?  It's a ridiculous point that those 2 made 7 Mil while 9 RBs made 6+ Mil alone.

In round SIX. Teams regularly target special teams players earlier than that, so forgive me if I don't take that seriously. 

Where does the $ come from? It comes from math. The Jets' team spending on the RB position was about #4 in the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In round SIX. Teams regularly target special teams players earlier than that, so forgive me if I don't take that seriously. 

Where does the $ come from? It comes from math. The Jets' team spending on the RB position was about #4 in the NFL. 

So now it's the round, not that they couldn't draft one? 

Meanwhile 9 backs on their own made that money or more.  Math, yes. Selective and pointless

Archived