Jets sign RB RAWLS... Backfield overhaul complete

Paradis

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Deep? After Chubb, Barkley Michel and Jones I don't know if there are any?

uh . . . . 

Guice - LSU

Royce Freeman - oregon

K Johnson - Auburn 

Ballage - ARz St.

Walton - The U

Penny - SD St. 

Bo - Bama

Chase Edmonds - Fordham

Plenty of Late round RBs to be had in this draft. 

13 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Mac LOVES to trade back to recoup picks. I won't be surprised if he trades back from our 3rd rounder to move back 15 spots and net another 4th or 5th round pick; it's his style. 

He did it 3 times in the '17 draft. Last year he traded back 9 spots w/Minn in the 3rd from 70th (Pat Elflein C) to 79th and acquired the 160th pick in the 4th round. Then with Tampa netting a 6th & finally swapping 5ths w/Cleveland & a 7th rounder  netting 2 6th rounders.

We'll draft a RB that drops between the 4-7th round 

I completely agree, unless they think they're getting a steal with someone.  But yes, i think we're trading back in the 3rd.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I was a fan of Rawls couple years ago, as a defunct Michigan back (coincidentally we signed a defunct Florida back in Crowell as well) -- and am pleased to see that we've added youth and talent over age and "veteran presence"... I'm not sure Rawls body is going to hold up, but between our 3 backs (bye McGuire) we should have a consistent production.

Consider this a move as result of losing both 2nd round picks. 

While I'm not opposed to the signing, Rawls is no lock to crack the 53 man roster and his signing has no bearing on McGuire - McGuire is younger, cheaper, more talented & has more upside in my opinion.

Jets add ex-Seahawk to crowded backfield

March 30, 2018 | 3:45pm

Jets add ex-Seahawk to crowded backfield

The Jets continued to add roster depth on Friday, signing free agent running back Thomas Rawls and linebacker Neville Hewitt.

Rawls played his first three seasons in Seattle and rushed for 830 yards, averaging and NFL-best 5.6 yards per carry and scoring four TDs in his rookie season in 2015. But he was slowed by injuries the past two seasons and rushed for a total of only 506 yards, 3.0 yards per carry and three touchdowns

The 5-foot-9 Rawls, an undrafted rookie, started just 10 games the past two years after being expected to take over as the starter after Marshawn Lynch left. With the Jets, he joins incumbent backs Bilal Powell and Elijah McGuire and recently-signed Isaiah Crowell, formerly with the Browns.

Hewitt, 6-2, 234, has 104 tackles, one sack and one interception in his career with the Dolphins and was signed to be a key contributor on special teams.

The Jets also had Lions center Travis Swanson in for a free agent visit on Friday. Their 2017 starter Wesley Johnson signed a free agent contract with the Lions and the Jets failed to land former Giant center Weston Richburg, who signed with the 49ers.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

We’ve been very good at collecting forgettable backs so we don’t have to draft any.

When you trade away both on your second round picks, it's probably wise to be deep before the draft. 

It's a great RB class but there is no guarantee much will be left in the third round. 

42 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

uh . . . . 

Guice - LSU

Royce Freeman - oregon

K Johnson - Auburn 

Ballage - ARz St.

Walton - The U

Penny - SD St. 

Bo - Bama

Chase Edmonds - Fordham

Bama backs seem to be a bust.

Penny from SDSU scares me because he has a lot of yardage on his tires

Freeman had a knee injury last year

Johnson also had a bad injury and played with it in the SEC title game

Walton had an ankle injury too

Ballage is more of a between the tackles runner

Edmonds seems to be okay. 

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Bama backs seem to be a bust.

Penny from SDSU scares me because he has a lot of yardage on his tires

Freeman had a knee injury last year

Johnson also had a bad injury and played with it in the SEC title game

Walton had an ankle injury too

Ballage is more of a between the tackles runner

Edmonds seems to be okay. 

Did you actually watch any of those guys outside highlights and website summaries?

56 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

uh . . . . 

Guice - LSU

Royce Freeman - oregon

K Johnson - Auburn 

Ballage - ARz St.

Walton - The U

Penny - SD St. 

Bo - Bama

Chase Edmonds - Fordham

I agree, its disappointing. I would have preferred money spent on oline instead. You can land a decent back with a 4-5th round pick. Landing a guard or tackle that late touch and go

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The only ones I knew about were Guice, Johnson, Penny and Bo. And considering the others were hurt, no wonder I didn't know about  them

you didn't know about them because you don't watch college ball until February. 

As Bob Ucker said in Major League 2 said, it's amazing how a new uniform can change your feelings about a guy.

I used to think Rawls was an overhyped fantasy football creation.  Now I sit here convincing myself he's a huge upside signing.

?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Mac LOVES to trade back to recoup picks. I won't be surprised if he trades back from our 3rd rounder to move back 15 spots and net another 4th or 5th round pick; it's his style. 

He did it 3 times in the '17 draft. Last year he traded back 9 spots w/Minn in the 3rd from 70th (Pat Elflein C) to 79th and acquired the 160th pick in the 4th round. Then with Tampa netting a 6th & finally swapping 5ths w/Cleveland & a 7th rounder  netting 2 6th rounders.

The trick, as always, is drafting smartly with those extra picks.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Yeah. Great move. He forced himself to overpay a mediocre FA Center this year because he didn’t draft Elflein. But it’s okay, we also signed Crowell and Rawls after passing on RB Dalvin Cook in Round 2.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Rawls is a massive upgrade over Matt Forte. 

Whoa !   Massive ? Gotta vigorously disagree Joe. Let's not forget Matt Forte's errr forte ( sorry, couldn't resist) of catching passes. In just 12 games Forte caught 37 passes for the Jets last year. Rawls in 34 career games has only caught 31 .  Lots of 1st downs in Forte's catches.

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah. Great move. He forced himself to overpay a mediocre FA Center this year because he didn’t draft Elflein. But it’s okay, we also signed Crowell and Rawls after passing on RB Dalvin Cook in Round 2.

Isn't hindsight terrific ?  BTW Cook only played 4 games.

Just now, Thai Jet said:

Isn't hindsight terrific ?  BTW Cook only played 4 games.

He was injured. Still looks like a great pick. I wanted both of those guys in Rds. 2 and 3. Minny got them and then enticed Cousins to come stand between them and run their offense. Just a minor coincidence I’m sure. 

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Sucks that we couldn’t land McKinnon. Jets really wanted him. 

I LOVED McKinnon , especially his pass catching ability, but check out his new contract. It's INSANE money. Crowell , who I also like, was a much better value.

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

As Bob Ucker said in Major League 2 said, it's amazing how a new uniform can change your feelings about a guy.

I used to think Rawls was an overhyped fantasy football creation.  Now I sit here convincing myself he's a huge upside signing.

?‍♂️

A true Jet Fan here.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He was injured. Still looks like a great pick. I wanted both of those guys in Rds. 2 and 3. Minny got them and then enticed Cousins to come stand between them and run their offense. Just a minor coincidence I’m sure. 

Ha I usually defend Mac but I think you're right on this... could have just taken Cook in Rd 2 and Elflein (or Feeney) in Rd 3 but they wound up with Maye, Stewart, Donohue, and McGuire after trading down twice.

Archived