Day-3 (Rounds 4-7)

Greenseed4

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is a legitimate question for those who wanted an OL in those last 2 picks.

Those picks are probably right around where they picked Shell.  Most people don't seem to care for Shell, even though he's probably outperform his draft slot.  

So if you don't like Shell, but wanted an OL there, why?

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Mac and Bowles rank Oline dead last on matter of importance. Meanwhile darnold just led the Nation in college in turnovers due to poor Oline. Yet people think he is ready to go at 21 under 1 of the worst “NFL” Olines lol. Next yr our 1st and 3rd round picks need to be Oline. Along with 1-2 in FA. It’s time to give Our franchise qb the support he needs. Bowles special treatment of the D has to end 

Any offensive lineman we would have taken in the 3-7th rounds wouldn't be able to help Darnold this year anyway. I agree, we need to address the o-line more seriously but we will have cap space to fill the holes next year and hopefully we draft one high next year. 

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

So this is a legitimate question for those who wanted an OL in those last 2 picks.

Those picks are probably right around where they picked Shell.  Most people don't seem to care for Shell, even though he's probably outperform his draft slot.  

The overarching issue is that they drafted safeties 1/2 last year and think this is more important than the offensive line.  There is a palpable deemphasis on this one area of the team since mccagnan took over and now we finally have a qb worth saving.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You know there gonna complain regardless what jets did Lmaoo 

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I get it. But just because you think they’re busts after one season doesn’t mean they are. They barely played. WRs especially take a while to get going. Let alone later round guys. 

But why did we bring kerley back. or trade for Kearse?

Why are all these O-picks relegated to benchwarmers and developmental 3-year long shots who rarely get exposure? None of it makes sense. Not starting Hackenberg, taking Stewart and not putting him out there 3-WR packages, signing Crowell and Rawls when he took McGuire last year.. 

I just don't get the impression they know what they're doing with offense when they draft. 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Stop making sense and don't put the whiners on the spot.  They won't be able to answer

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Any offensive lineman we would have taken in the 3-7th rounds wouldn't be able to help Darnold this year anyway. I agree, we need to address the o-line more seriously but we will have cap space to fill the holes next year and hopefully we draft one high next year. 

Agree.  Use the 1st and 3rd on OL next year along with some FA $$$.

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

If you knew anything about football you would realize none of those lineman are asked to rush the passer in a 3/4.  Go watch golf

Yup and who rushes the passer in a 3-4?  do you know anything about football?  olbs pass rusher of which we have ZERO and have drafted ZERO.  We draft guys like mauldin a 50/50 guy and jenkins a set the edge non pass rusher.  4 years and this team has not even tried to draft a legit pass rusher olb.  they haven't even take a late round flyer on one.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

But why did we bring kerley back. or trade for Kearse?

Why are all these O-picks relegated to benchwarmers and developmental 3-year long shots who rarely get exposure? None of it makes sense. Not starting Hackenberg, taking Stewart and not putting him out there 3-WR packages, signing Crowell and Rawls when he took McGuire last year.. 

I just don't get the impression they know what they're doing with offense when they draft. 

Bowles seems comfortable throwing any defensive draft pick into games but offensive picks have to ‘earn their time’.  Bringing back kerley was the epitome of this.  Useless.  Just useless.

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Guys calm the hell down these are 6th round picks this is the NY Jets. 

Expect nothing and never be disappointed. 

We got the best QB in the draft Sam Darnold. 

I guess it's okay for this front office to continuously draft QB's yet in 4 total drafts this front office has drafted a grand total of 2....TWO Olineman....both 5th round picks. Jarvis Harrison, who isnt even in the NFL and Brandon Shell, a guy who is still and unsure thing. 

I guess drafting arguably the best QB in the draft and putting him behind this offensive line is okay. 

PclGz7t.gif

You're telling folks to calm the hell down, yet you should be just as concerned when This Front Office has drafted 3 QB's in 4 years yet has invested nothing to protect them. Meanwhile, this Front office has literally invested 100's of millions as well as premium draft picks to the defensive side of the ball, primarily at the secondary and the defensive Line. 

Petty has been injured by this Oline, McCown has been injured behind this Oline and it was said that Hackenberg has to be coached up given the terrible offensive line and bad coaching at Penn St. Well, WTF do we call what this front office is doing? 

Telling folks to calm down because they want this team to invest in protecting their most prized asset is ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The overarching issue is that they drafted safeties 1/2 last year and think this is more important than the offensive line.  There is a palpable deemphasis on this one area of the team since mccagnan took over and now we finally have a qb worth saving.

I understand that but if their plan is to go to FA to get OL pieces, like they did with Long

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Haven’t made the playoffs this decade. I have no idea why people would not be happy with the general direction of the team. I guess everyone should just love the team no matter what on this here internet message board and elephant walk around. 

Come on man. We just drafted Sam Darnold. If picking the top rated QB in the draft doesn’t suffice, then I don’t know what to tell you. 

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Haven’t made the playoffs this decade. I have no idea why people would not be happy with the general direction of the team. I guess everyone should just love the team no matter what on this here internet message board and elephant walk around. 

Come on man. We just drafted Sam Darnold. If picking the top rated QB in the draft doesn’t suffice, then I don’t know what to tell you. 

Just now, Beerfish said:

Yup and who rushes the passer in a 3-4?  do you know anything about football?  olbs pass rusher of which we have ZERO and have drafted ZERO.  We draft guys like mauldin a 50/50 guy and jenkins a set the edge non pass rusher.  4 years and this team has not even tried to draft a legit pass rusher olb.  they haven't even take a late round flyer on one.

Looks like they'd rather get a JAG front 7 defender  guy over a productive OL guy. They're about to invest a ton of $ and coaching into a spanking new franchise QB, and don't seem at all inclined to spend the resources to protect him. Which is how Chad Pennington ends up a noodle-armed footnote instead a HoFer. Don't get it. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There were some good OL in 3rd round who could have been starting by next yr. Oline are becoming expensive. Giants are paying Nate solder 15 per yr and he isn’t even top 5 OT. We have to draft young cheap talent on the OL

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I want to build an offensive line like Dallas or Philly. 

I can think Shell has been a pleasant surprise, to a degree, and still want to add depth, opportunity, and athletes to that unit.  

As a franchise, we seem to be infatuated with five techniques.  I wish, instead, if we felt the same way, and spent as many resources, on offensive tackles.  

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

We want the team to take a flyer on oline or pass rusher or speed offensive weapons.  People keep saying 6th round is crap shoot and where you take a chance.  After 4 years we seem to like to take a chance on defense all the time.  Two cbs in the 6th round last year, we draft another cb this year, we use fa $ to get our string cbs. 

We use three resouces on the dline this year.  We have at least one stud player in williams there.

We want some balance.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

But he played ok on this knee for years after and ran a sub 4.4 40 at the combine, right?

I like the pick.  I was not aware of his knee issues, could exlain why he fell.  I have no issues with the pick.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

I guess it's okay for this front office to continuously draft QB's yet in 4 total drafts this front office has drafted a grand total of 2....TWO Olineman....both 5th round picks. Jarvis Harrison, who isnt even in the NFL and Brandon Shell, a guy who is still and unsure thing. 

I guess drafting arguably the best QB in the draft and putting him behind this offensive line is okay. 

PclGz7t.gif

Telling folks to calm down because they want this team to invest in protecting their most prized asset is ridiculous. 

The ironic thing is that the person most responsible for that injury IS NOW OFF THE TEAM.

Seriously I saw our OL play well at points last year. We beat the ******* Jacksonville Jaguars, they of the best defense in the NFL at home win this OL

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There were some good OL in 3rd round who could have been starting by next yr. Oline are becoming expensive. Giants are paying Nate solder 15 per yr and he isn’t even top 5 OT. We have to draft young cheap talent on the OL

No we don’t. If we don’t have to pay the QB big money we can pay the OL big money

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Stop making sense and don't put the whiners on the spot.  They won't be able to answer

thanks for the attitude. I can't take it from here, pal.

QUESTION: Why take OT and OGs late? 

ANSWER: They are are PLENTY of tackles from smaller programs or non-power 5 conferences who have the potential to be developed into starters. They are 3 right now that are well thought of.

If we hadn't invested 4-5 first round picks, and copious draft currency in other rounds -- into front 7 picks, maybe this would be a different conversation. Jets have invested WHAT on the Oline @KRL 

Tell me oh, defensive one... why is this not legit beef.

I'll wait. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Getting Darnold was great.  But there's other picks that are hugely important, because that's where you start to build around that franchise QB.  And 6th and 7th-string corners and DL are the worst way to try to do that.  

This draft should have been 90 % offense.  

Our generally Top 10 Defense got three new DL's and a DB.  In FA we got the top-rated DB and a bunch of others on D.

Our O, which hasn't been top ten all but once in the past 100 hundred years it seems, got the "if you didn't pick him you'd be fired on the spot" QB.

And a TE who can't block and only kinda sorta can catch.

In FA we got a bunch of no-name JAG's all round on O.

Our O-Line, one of the worst around, got nothing.

Just what I feared from Macc/Bowles.  Good solid first pick....misguided IMO, in every way possible afterwards.

How many DL's and DB's does "Defensive HEad Coach" Bowles need to not suck at Coaching the D?

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Looks like they'd rather get a JAG front 7 defender  guy over a productive OL guy. They're about to invest a ton of $ and coaching into a spanking new franchise QB, and don't seem at all inclined to spend the resources to protect him. Which is how Chad Pennington ends up a noodle-armed footnote instead a HoFer. Don't get it. 

This directive really seems like it’s coming from bowles who lost mo and Sheldon and just lost the opportunity to get defensive help in the first two rounds of the draft with the darnold pick and using both 2nd rounders to get him.  So i think this is our hc pushing to rebuild his dline with run stuffers, while not having the pass rushers from the outside.  

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You have to go out of your way to draft O-linemen these days.  The goal isn't for it to "beat expectations".  The goal is for it be a line you can win a Super Bowl behind.  And nothing we've done in the draft has proven that's a priority for 4 straight years. 

It seems like the other 31 teams understand that you need to devote draft capital in the line every single year.  Even the Colts have finally seemed to learn that lesson after watching Luck get killed behind their crappy line.  

The SB champ Eagles have drafted exactly 2 OL combined in the past 5 drafts.  Neither play.  Seems to be a fallacy on that idea.

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Pretty much

Most of the quality OL were already off the board before we even went on the clock in the 3rd round.

Pretty much the whole OL draft after Nelson and McGlinchey were selected has me floored. From Ragnow, Price and Wynn all going in the Top 25, then you had guys like Hernandez, Smith and Corbett going early 2nd, etc.

What’s the use in adding more Dakota Dozier’s in the mid-late rounds?

Archived