Jets OTA’s Day 1

Thanks for this thread everyone!  Its a great read while at work, and main social media accounts are blocked.

Un-related questions for the forum overall.  Are you guys getting a windows defender page triggered when launching the forums?  its almost the same issue like it was when the security warning, just a different variation of it.  I noticed it yesterday(maybe on Friday too but not quite sure).  The site has been flawless for me for a while until then.

40 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

he's had his rookie mini camp also.  has he really shown us ANYTHING so far?   we hung around with Hack way too long according to many posters.  let's not make the same mistake here with Sam.  

Yeah, he should have won a Super Bowl by now!

• Upvote 1

I am happy to read about Hansen's good day.  A lot of people have already written him off, along with Stewart.  I think WR transition from College to NFL is harder than it ever has been, and it can take awhile for some of these guys to catch on at the WR position.

One positive day doesn't mean he's going to break out positively, but much to early to write him and Stewart off.

• Upvote 2

Very silly of Hackenberg to allow this to be his narrative in his first interview.
Does he realize that his OC was also his QB coach last year?  Hackenberg's biggest
problem last year was his lack of understanding of line calls & protections.
He needs to stay silent and perform when given reps, if he truly is improved he'll
stay as a backup or get traded

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Seems like a lot of people overrate Bridgewater here. 

Yeah, I was never a big fan of Bridgewater in Minnesota. If healthy, he has a chance to be a very solid NFL QB, but not much else. Not terribly athletic, doesn't have a great arm. Seems like your prototypical game manager. 

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I am happy to read about Hansen's good day.  A lot of people have already written him off, along with Stewart.  I think WR transition from College to NFL is harder than it ever has been, and it can take awhile for some of these guys to catch on at the WR position.

One positive day doesn't mean he's going to break out positively, but much to early to write him and Stewart off.

Yeah, Hansen seems like he could have an Eric Decker type of career. 

I think some of you need o pump the breaks on Bridgewater.  Looking good during day 1 of OTA's doesn't exactly qualify him to be worth a 1st or 2nd round pick in trade.  If he truly shows that  kind of worth leading into the season, he'll be starting for the Jets this year.

This notion that the Jets can actually go into the season with THREE capable QB's on the roster is mind blowing and altering my sense of reality as a Jets fan.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KRL said:

Very silly of Hackenberg to allow this to be his narrative in his first interview.
Does he realize that his OC was also his QB coach last year?  Hackenberg's biggest
He needs to stay silent and perform when given reps, if he truly is improved he'll

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What an entitled ******* tit. He did this with Franklin, too—blaming them for not fixing his mechanics. Absolute clown. 

Does seem like a sneak diss at the staff and he basically called Bowles a liar. 

Good way to talk yourself off the team. Guessing he was frustrated with zero team reps.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah, I bet he's frustrated and sees the writing on the wall.

Most definitely! Hey, what did he expect? He’s got a #3 overall pick ahead of him. It is possible that he did get better over the offseason, but he has to expect he’s not going to have much chance to go show that or even be on the team long.(I.E see your friend, Bryce.)

Hope he goes to a whole different conference and I hope he does well but his days here are plainly numbered. Think he’s just now truly realizing it.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

I love me some Teddy Bee -- which isn't news if you remember the draft that year -- but if his knee holds up, how do you not start him? 

Unfortunately, if he's good enough to start (and win) then he's going to be unaffordable in 2019. How good would Bridgewater have to be to consider franchising him? I don't think Teddy would sign extension with Sam on the roster.  

Transition tag is worth the cost to Hedge if Darnold still needs marinating and they outright CUT Hackenberg instead of keeping him as a cheap #2 under a rookie contract. 

I can’t help but feel bad for Hack- he hasn’t played well and is headed for bustdom but he’s a good kid who has been the “next big thing” for years and has all that potential...this has gotta be brutal for him.  He’s a TC arm.

glad Sam got the most reps- think he’ll be fine

im on the teddy bandwagon- he looked legit. I dont see why we’d start McCown over teddy if that’s the case. Let josh coach Sam until he’s ready and maybe Teddy is our franchise QB or a valuable piece.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

Transition tag is worth the cost to Hedge if Darnold still needs marinating and they outright CUT Hackenberg instead of keeping him as a cheap #2 under a rookie contract. 

I just went around with somebody on this last week.  Was it you?  The transition tag is like $21M in 2018.  They won't use it.  It only allows right of first refusal if the player signs elsewhere.  NO compensation.  I think you are thinking of the non-exclusive franchise tag - which gets compensation if the player signs elsewhere. 

All the tags are going to go up.  Probably way up - 2018 top 10 didn't include Ryan, Cousins, Smith or Brees. When Rodgers signs his extension it will be a monster.

So are we doomed or are we going to the super bowl? Its first OTA practice, we should know this by now.

My biggest takeaway is that Teddy doesn't look limited at all. No idea if that holds or if he'll actually play well, but considering the speculation that he might not be ready to play this spring that's encouraging. Emotionally speaking I kind of hold out on hope he gets the start week 1 and looks fine. (Not that I'd be upset if Darnold or McCown took it instead)

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Im very high on Hansen.  Not only does have good measurables for the NFL, but his catches seemed to come at opportune times last year which shows he was able to get open when it counts.  Looking forward to seeing his development

53 minutes ago, KRL said:

He comes off bad in the tweets, but don't think it really came out that way.  I can't link right now but there is an article in the Post.  Basically, said not blaming anyone, Bates told him last year to work on it, etc...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Josh McCown shouldn’t be taking any reps, he is a glorified coach, and should not even be in consideration for the starting QB job if Bridgewater is healthy, it should be Darnold vs Bridgewater end of story.

Its the first day of OTAs and he's the incumbent starter, he's gonna take some reps. 

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Hopefully that's the problem we have in 2019.  The Jets are going to have
another 90-100 million in cap space next year so they could easily franchise
Bridgewater while they arrange a trade

Yeah, but who is going to take Darnold if Bridgewater gets all the snaps?

SAR I

7 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Its the first day of OTAs and he's the incumbent starter, he's gonna take some reps. 

He is pushing 40, and never ever ever ever ever ever won a god damn thing in his life, he is a great guy, but not an NFL QB.