Sam Darnold's growth could be stunted by Jets' mounting injuries

Gas2No99

r452322_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=768&h=307&sca

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few weeks before the draft, New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold spent a few hours with Bill Parcells at the former coach's home in Florida. Parcells enjoys counseling young players, and he gave Darnold a piece of advice that might serve him well this week.

The message: Never reveal a hint of self-doubt after a bad game. Get back in the huddle on Wednesday and be The Leader.

And so Darnold did just that, claiming last week's three-interception clunker did nothing to damage his psyche.

"My confidence, it's fine," Darnold said with a smile. "I'm never really shaken at all."

He'll need that fearlessness because he's about to be tested in a way he never imagined.

Already without his leading receiver, Quincy Enunwa, the rookie lost his most dependable and versatile weapon on Wednesday. Running back Bilal Powell is done for the season, maybe for good, because of a severe neck injury that will require surgery. The injuries are mounting, and they will have a trickle-down effect on Darnold, whose development could be impaired by a compromised supporting cast.

That's too bad because so much of this season is about Darnold, the key to the future of the franchise. The Jets gave up a lot to get him, and they made a strong commitment by making him the starter. But a tough job just got tougher. Darnold is in a difficult spot, leading an offense that -- under ideal circumstances -- had obvious flaws. Then guys started getting hurt.

On Sunday, Darnold will be throwing to a receiver he met on Wednesday. Say hello to Rishard Matthews. He'll be handing the ball to a running back from Virginia State. Welcome to the big time, Trenton Cannon. Let's not forget about the cast of rookie and no-name tight ends. If wide receiver Robby Anderson can't play -- he missed practice with an ankle injury -- the Jets are in really bad shape.

Oh, yeah, Darnold's center, Spencer Long, can't snap straight out of shotgun because of a dislocated middle finger on his right hand. Now Darnold & Co. have to go on the road to face the Chicago Bears (3-3), whose talented defense will be trying to rebound from a couple of bad games. Darnold is a tough kid, mentally and physically, but this is a big ask.

"It's moving parts, but that's part of the job as a coach," Jets coach Todd Bowles said of the injuries. "There are things you have to do to adjust and move people around and get some parts together and put the team out there that gives you the best chance to win. Everybody loses starters. We're losing quite a bit lately, but we have guys who can play."

Darnold misses Enunwa (high ankle sprain), whose absence last week had a big effect on the offense. Throwing to Anderson, Jermaine Kearse and a handful of special-teams players moonlighting as receivers, Darnold completed only seven of 21 attempts to wide receivers. The offense was too pass-reliant, and it got ugly. The Jets are 0-4 when Darnold attempts more than 30 passes, so balance is imperative.

Now Powell is gone, which means the Jets lose a trusted third-down back. They'll have to overwork Isaiah Crowell and integrate the inexperienced Cannon into the offense. Powell wasn't a flashy player, but he produced 453 yards from scrimmage and never made a mental mistake. If there was a blitz on third down, he knew whom to block. He was the kind of player you want around your rookie quarterback.

"It's a sad thing to see that because B.P. is so respected in this locker room," Darnold said. "He's such a great guy to have on our team."

Darnold said he and Matthews, once a productive receiver with the Tennessee Titans, spent extra time after practice going through pass routes. Darnold said Matthews has "a really good feel. [I'm] just relying on that and having confidence in him, knowing he's going to be in the right spots at the right time."

Make no mistake: This will be tough for Darnold, who will become an expert at dealing with adversity. It's hardly the ideal way to raise a franchise quarterback.

I honestly dont think the "weapons" will "stunt" his growth.  As long as he's making the right reads and getting the ball out on time to the right spot...that stuff all goes on tape and you can build off it either way.  We know he has the arm, the smarts, the moxy, the leadership, the ability to bounce back, the short memory, the short stuff, the long ball, the incredible pocket presence...he's already proven that he has everything in his arsenal to be successful in this league.  So focus on what you can control.  Work ethic, leadership, film junky, mechanics, timing, etc. 

What he cant control is the fact these bum WR's cant get open with consistency and when they do, they cant catch. What he can control is making the right adjustments at the LOS and at the very least, throwing the ball to the right spot based off the proper read.  If those things are happening and he just doesnt have the right guy to make the play, than that is still very encouraging from a growth perspective because you would hope next offseason this will change with upgraded skills talent. 

What is more concerning and it's kind of pissing me off this isnt a bigger deal, is the snaps.  If you're killing any rhythm this kid can establish and literally killing drives, that does impact his growth.  Because instead of being able to focus on the above, he has play hero just to not turn the ball over off the snap and from there, everything is off script and you're putting him in awful position to succeed.   That type of play, drive after drive, week in week out, will 100% stunt his growth because you're not allowing him to grow.

It's like planting a flower and never watering it.  That beautiful blossom we all want will never take place because you never gave it a chance.

Poor O line play is what really sets these kids back.  When they start getting abused in the pocket is when the bad habits start.  They start dropping their eyes to see the rush, they start throwing off platform and their mechanics start to erode, they want to leave the pocket right away.   Those are the real killers to a young QB.  I don’t think we are at that point.  Sure the weapons suck, but they won’t really stunt his growth, just affect his stats.  

19 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm more concerned that a crappy coach and a generally conservative offensive philosophy will stunt Darnold's growth. 

Have you been watching?  The Jets have been the opposite of conservative all things considered and been a pass first team.  

To me the lack of weapons and the injuries to starters will hurt his short term success but how does getting familiar with the way the pro game is played,the speed of the game with the different defenses, schemes and situational calls hurt his development?  Making the right reads, throwing to the right WR and having him drop the ball sucks success wise but is the still right play, gains experience and helps development whether he catches the ball or not

41 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Darnold said he and Matthews, once a productive receiver with the Tennessee Titans, spent extra time after practice going through pass routes. Darnold said Matthews has "a really good feel. [I'm] just relying on that and having confidence in him, knowing he's going to be in the right spots at the right time."

That’s how you take charge. We sure need Mathews in a big way.

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Have you been watching?  The Jets have been the opposite of conservative all things considered and been a pass first team.  

Is there a team who isnt pass first?  I'd pretty shocked if there as a team who had more run attempts than passes.  The Rams are the only one that I've seen that are even close to even.  219/218.  Dallas and Buffalo are the next with basically like 15 more passes than runs.  

The Jets are 221/198...but I think that's because they've been behind a lot. The Jets are 5th in the league in run attempts, 20th in pass.  They're still a run heavy team.  And I think if they could script it, they would be more run than pass to help Sam out.  They certainly run on the 1st down a lot more than the pass which I think is what they really want to be.  #Todd Bowles. 

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

Is there a team who isnt pass first?  I'd pretty shocked if there as a team who had more run attempts than passes.  The Rams are the only one that I've seen that are even close to even.  219/218.  Dallas and Buffalo are the next with basically like 15 more passes than runs.  

The Jets are 221/198...but I think that's because they've been behind a lot. The Jets are 5th in the league in run attempts, 20th in pass.  They're still a run heavy team.  And I think if they could script it, they would be more run than pass to help Sam out.  They certainly run on the 1st down a lot more than the pass which I think is what they really want to be.  #Todd Bowles. 

That is true.  But theres some idea that Bowles has been and wants to be a ground and pound HC.  When nothing in his tenure says this. I think he would love to be balanced but circumstance, rookie QB, trailing in games dictates a lot of what we and others do

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't understand the point of trotting Long out there if that's the case. Everyone bitches about him and yeah the grass is always greener, but if he can't snap it out of the gun the Jets need to put someone else out there. Sign someone off the street if you have to, but you can't have that.

It’s you know, kind of the most important aspect of his job. Maybe they are waiting until his hand falls off?

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't understand the point of trotting Long out there if that's the case. Everyone bitches about him and yeah the grass is always greener, but if he can't snap it out of the gun the Jets need to put someone else out there. Sign someone off the street if you have to, but you can't have that.

Agreed - you have to have somewhat capable backups, which in this case with Harrison we do.  The guy has been on the team 2 years, full TC and preseason with this scheme, and has been in the league long enough that he needs to be able to step in and replace someone who has been a marginal player at best so far.

This isnt Baltimore vs Sanchez when Mangold got hurt and was replaced with Colin Baxter.

Lets let Long's finger/hand heal and get him ready to have a strong second half of the season.

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That is true.  But theres some idea that Bowles has been and wants to be a ground and pound HC.  When nothing in his tenure says this. I think he would love to be balanced but circumstance, rookie QB, trailing in games dictates a lot of what we and others do

I'd argue that point.  The rumblings that were coming out about letting Morton go is that he was too pass happy.   It was reported by many sources that Todd soured on Morton because he couldnt establish a run game and was too pass happy.  There was that comment floating around about, "he's calling plays like we're the Saints, playing a dome" etc.  You had Forte openly questioning the play calling.  And then Todd explained the move from Morton to Bates because he wanted to "mesh" a better run game into the scheme and that "less is more".  Hence also adding Dennison in the process.

I dont think it's a mystery, Todd wants to run the ball.  And I do think he's the type of coach that would love to only have throw the ball when necessary and run the ball every down if he could. 

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

I looked into it a bit.

I tried looking at games within 17 points (either way) for 1st 3 Quarters Only: Jets Pass 54% of the time, That's 5th highest % in league behind Dallas, Tennessee, Carolina, and Seattle. If you consider QB runs, which is hard to tell from stats what is designed and what's not, that includes Newton (#1 in QB Rushing Attempts), Prescott (#3 in QB Rushing Attempts), and Mariota (#6 in QB Rushing Attempts) 

4 minutes ago, batmans a scientist said:

I looked into it a bit.

I tried looking at games within 17 points (either way) for 1st 3 Quarters Only: Jets Pass 54% of the time, That's 5th highest % in league behind Dallas, Tennessee, Carolina, and Seattle. If you consider QB runs, which is hard to tell from stats what is designed and what's not, that includes Newton (#1 in QB Rushing Attempts), Prescott (#3 in QB Rushing Attempts), and Mariota (#6 in QB Rushing Attempts) 

Did you mean run and not pass?  I would find it hard to believe those teams pass more than another other team....they seem like all the "run first" teams. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'd argue that point.  The rumblings that were coming out about letting Morton go is that he was too pass happy.   It was reported by many sources that Todd soured on Morton because he couldnt establish a run game and was too pass happy.  There was that comment floating around about, "he's calling plays like we're the Saints, playing a dome" etc.  You had Forte openly questioning the play calling.  And then Todd explained the move from Morton to Bates because he wanted to "mesh" a better run game into the scheme and that "less is more".  Hence also adding Dennison in the process.

I dont think it's a mystery, Todd wants to run the ball.  And I do think he's the type of coach that would love to only have throw the ball when necessary and run the ball every down if he could. 

Rumblings by the press that assumed he wanted to go to a ground and pound.  To run more.  He wants to run more effectively and be balanced.  He was pissed with 4 straight passes from inside the 5.  Not the same.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I honestly dont think the "weapons" will "stunt" his growth.  As long as he's making the right reads and getting the ball out on time to the right spot...that stuff all goes on tape and you can build off it either way.  We know he has the arm, the smarts, the moxy, the leadership, the ability to bounce back, the short memory, the short stuff, the long ball, the incredible pocket presence...he's already proven that he has everything in his arsenal to be successful in this league.  So focus on what you can control.  Work ethic, leadership, film junky, mechanics, timing, etc. 

What he cant control is the fact these bum WR's cant get open with consistency and when they do, they cant catch. What he can control is making the right adjustments at the LOS and at the very least, throwing the ball to the right spot based off the proper read.  If those things are happening and he just doesnt have the right guy to make the play, than that is still very encouraging from a growth perspective because you would hope next offseason this will change with upgraded skills talent. 

What is more concerning and it's kind of pissing me off this isnt a bigger deal, is the snaps.  If you're killing any rhythm this kid can establish and literally killing drives, that does impact his growth.  Because instead of being able to focus on the above, he has play hero just to not turn the ball over off the snap and from there, everything is off script and you're putting him in awful position to succeed.   That type of play, drive after drive, week in week out, will 100% stunt his growth because you're not allowing him to grow.

It's like planting a flower and never watering it.  That beautiful blossom we all want will never take place because you never gave it a chance.

The Qb should not have to worry about the goddamn snap hitting him in the hands.  He has enough to worry about back there and now he has to think about what happens if the snap goes here or there.  WTF.  

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

+1

There are things you have to do to adjust and move people around and get some parts together and put the team out there that gives you the best chance to win.”

Dear Todd, please follow your own advice and get Long the F out of there!

10 hours ago, BCJet said:

Agreed - you have to have somewhat capable backups, which in this case with Harrison we do.  The guy has been on the team 2 years, full TC and preseason with this scheme, and has been in the league long enough that he needs to be able to step in and replace someone who has been a marginal player at best so far.

This isnt Baltimore vs Sanchez when Mangold got hurt and was replaced with Colin Baxter.

Lets let Long's finger/hand heal and get him ready to have a strong second half of the season.

Sanchez really took a beating that day. Awful.

19 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm more concerned that a crappy coach and a generally conservative offensive philosophy will stunt Darnold's growth. 

The head coach sucks.  Bates, on the other hand, I think has done a decent job mixing things up actually.  And if you are aware of my posts... I am critical of almost everything.

Last year I think we were 3-2 before the season fell apart.  This year we were 3-3 but we lost pretty badly to the Vikings and now this Bear game is going to be very tough.  It will be very interesting to see how the Jets handle the next few weeks.  I could easily see this season fall apart too but I'm really interested to see how Sam plays in these games.  This is going to be where the real learning experience starts I think.  

19 hours ago, JiF said:

Did you mean run and not pass?  I would find it hard to believe those teams pass more than another other team....they seem like all the "run first" teams. 

I'll believe any stat because there are ways of making anything look like something they're not.

But I'd need a confirmation to your question on this one.

Right now we're 24th in pass attempts and 8th in rushing attempts. I'd need to see the numbers that show the scoreboard only being within 17 - which it is most of the time by far - not only flips that so dramatically in the opposite direction, but flips it so much more so than it does for any other team. Like you say, it's hard to believe. 

17 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No extra depth would help this. If you are missing 3 of your top 4 WRs, your #2 RB and your #1 C, even having depth is going to be less

That's what depth is all about.  Having capable backups so that you don't have to start jags or sign guys off the street.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:16 AM, Gas2No99 said:

r452322_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=768&h=307&sca

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few weeks before the draft, New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold spent a few hours with Bill Parcells at the former coach's home in Florida. Parcells enjoys counseling young players, and he gave Darnold a piece of advice that might serve him well this week.

The message: Never reveal a hint of self-doubt after a bad game. Get back in the huddle on Wednesday and be The Leader.

And so Darnold did just that, claiming last week's three-interception clunker did nothing to damage his psyche.

"My confidence, it's fine," Darnold said with a smile. "I'm never really shaken at all."

He'll need that fearlessness because he's about to be tested in a way he never imagined.

Already without his leading receiver, Quincy Enunwa, the rookie lost his most dependable and versatile weapon on Wednesday. Running back Bilal Powell is done for the season, maybe for good, because of a severe neck injury that will require surgery. The injuries are mounting, and they will have a trickle-down effect on Darnold, whose development could be impaired by a compromised supporting cast.

That's too bad because so much of this season is about Darnold, the key to the future of the franchise. The Jets gave up a lot to get him, and they made a strong commitment by making him the starter. But a tough job just got tougher. Darnold is in a difficult spot, leading an offense that -- under ideal circumstances -- had obvious flaws. Then guys started getting hurt.

On Sunday, Darnold will be throwing to a receiver he met on Wednesday. Say hello to Rishard Matthews. He'll be handing the ball to a running back from Virginia State. Welcome to the big time, Trenton Cannon. Let's not forget about the cast of rookie and no-name tight ends. If wide receiver Robby Anderson can't play -- he missed practice with an ankle injury -- the Jets are in really bad shape.

Oh, yeah, Darnold's center, Spencer Long, can't snap straight out of shotgun because of a dislocated middle finger on his right hand. Now Darnold & Co. have to go on the road to face the Chicago Bears (3-3), whose talented defense will be trying to rebound from a couple of bad games. Darnold is a tough kid, mentally and physically, but this is a big ask.

"It's moving parts, but that's part of the job as a coach," Jets coach Todd Bowles said of the injuries. "There are things you have to do to adjust and move people around and get some parts together and put the team out there that gives you the best chance to win. Everybody loses starters. We're losing quite a bit lately, but we have guys who can play."

Darnold misses Enunwa (high ankle sprain), whose absence last week had a big effect on the offense. Throwing to Anderson, Jermaine Kearse and a handful of special-teams players moonlighting as receivers, Darnold completed only seven of 21 attempts to wide receivers. The offense was too pass-reliant, and it got ugly. The Jets are 0-4 when Darnold attempts more than 30 passes, so balance is imperative.

Now Powell is gone, which means the Jets lose a trusted third-down back. They'll have to overwork Isaiah Crowell and integrate the inexperienced Cannon into the offense. Powell wasn't a flashy player, but he produced 453 yards from scrimmage and never made a mental mistake. If there was a blitz on third down, he knew whom to block. He was the kind of player you want around your rookie quarterback.

"It's a sad thing to see that because B.P. is so respected in this locker room," Darnold said. "He's such a great guy to have on our team."

Make no mistake: This will be tough for Darnold, who will become an expert at dealing with adversity. It's hardly the ideal way to raise a franchise quarterback.

we knew it'd be a slog of a season...       dealing with adversity is a long term boon for a 21 y/o

Archived