Leonard Williams has turned into Mohammed Wilkerson

Kleckineau

11 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

What a bum he has turned into. He spent most of this game getting up off his back.

Official stat line?  1/2 tackle

Buh bye.

maybe but once again it seems like bowles just can't motivate the vets.  leo knows he's coming up on his option year and knows he can go anywhere and get paid.  and why should he care so much when the players like johnson and claiborne aren't doing their part.  it becomes a ripple effect.

like the guys on sny said, when anderson got his unsportsmanlike penalty he should've been sat down for a few plays. bowles is too much of a players coach.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Leo was over Drafted. He's a run stuffing 3-4 DE. As for the double team narrative. J.J Watt, Arron Donald get double teamed.

The difference is they often break the double team, and make plays. Leo does not, trade him get that second back we paid for Sam.

I don't think he's been coached up. His technique is poor. What makes him an average, above average player, is his strength and athleticism

If if Williams was great, which he is not, he still should have been traded last year. I have said multiple times DT’s very rarely play at the value of that second big contract. Not unless they have a lot of talent around them to keep double teams off them. This past offseason Williams could have netted us a decent return. Now we won’t get anything. The right move is to just release him and spend the savings on offense. We continuously find good DT’s in the late rounds, we do not need to be wasting heavy resources on DT’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

If if Williams was great, which he is not, he still should have been traded last year. I have said multiple times DT’s very rarely play at the value of that second big contract. Not unless they have a lot of talent around them to keep double teams off them. This past offseason Williams could have netted us a decent return. Now we won’t get anything. The right move is to just release him and spend the savings on offense. We continuously find good DT’s in the late rounds, we do not need to be wasting heavy resources on DT’s.

Yeah we missed our window. Could have been like the Dante Fowler situation where the other team gets to try him out or make a push before th 5th year option kicks in. $14million is way too much for Leo and the only team in the League that would pay him that is the Jets because Mac has a biased point of view of protecting his image and defending his draft pick to the bitter end.

THIS is the most important reason we need Macc replaced and an outsider brought in that can give an honest/unbiased assessment of the entire roster and make moves. I’d be all for rebuilding with someone half decent and with somewhat of a vision. We keep Macc, we will be the new Browns and lose even more fans and rightfully so since ownership is just insulting and taking their money without a care or shred of concern. 

Williams is the best DL man we have put some decent players around him add a pass rusher and this kid excels. 

Put decent players around Snacks and he’s a great DT. And he wasn’t drafted in the 1st round and even his “big payday” was not absurd. DT is not a position to build around in today’s league, and it’s not a position to be spending 1st round picks or high dollar contracts on.

Williams has been a monster disappointment.  However, I do think DL is similar to OL in that your play can be greatly impacted by the overall effectiveness of your entire unit.  The Jets unit, is absolutely terrible.  Williams is the only legitimate player on the unit.

He'll be a player as soon as he leaves this god forsaken franchise.  I'm confident in that.  Put him on a line with just at least one legitimate threat to take some attention away and he'll be good.

Not excusing him, he's been terrible but it's really hard to judge anyone on this D with the most incompetent coaching staff I've ever come across. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Williams has been a monster disappointment.  However, I do think DL is similar to OL in that your play can be greatly impacted by the overall effectiveness of your entire unit.  The Jets unit, is absolutely terrible.  Williams is the only legitimate player on the unit.

He'll be a player as soon as he leaves this god forsaken franchise.  I'm confident in that.  Put him on a line with just at least one legitimate threat to take some attention away and he'll be good.

Not excusing him, he's been terrible but it's really hard to judge anyone on this D with the most incompetent coaching staff I've ever come across. 

He's a 3-4 DE, and never going to be a dynamic player. He's solid that's about it. If your Dlinemen don't get you at least 8 sacks per year, do not pay them like an edge rusher.

Trade Leo on his 5th year option for what you can get. We got a 2nd for Sheldon, so you never know..

11 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I saw plenty of plays where he wasn’t. I think this excuse is way overblown. He gets doubled but who doesn’t? 3-4 D line is notorious for players getting doubled. 

I watched some of the game.   I saw him handled one on one.

10 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

He's a 3-4 DE, and never going to be a dynamic player. He's solid that's about it. If your Dlinemen don't get you at least 8 sacks per year, do not pay them like an edge rusher.

Trade Leo on his 5th year option for what you can get. We got a 2nd for Sheldon, so you never know..

Coming out, I thought he could be a Richard Seymore type.   That guy was a stud, even without huge sacks.

He's just another, slightly above average player.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I watched some of the game.   I saw him handled one on one.

Me too. The guy is so overrated by blind homers. He’s only good at absolute best. I think he’s looked bad for a good portion of this year but the total body of work says good. Good doesn’t mean $14mil for a season. He’s low end start level and can be replaced by cheap older vet DTs for a 3-4 just to occupy blocks. If we switch to a 4-3 maybe that changes everything but I’m disappointed in he effort, strength/conditioning and lack of leadership from this guy. 

13 hours ago, usapaw said:

Can you really hate him when he sees what a pathetic disgrace this organization is? We embrace losing and he has always been a winner. He wants to get out and I cant blame him. Management has to prove to the best players that they want to change but they don't seem to want to? Sso why does this make Leo a bad guy???

Because he is the first one to praise Bowles and always telling anybody who want to listen that he doesn't want to play for another coach.  He prefer the laissez faire approach because he is fat lazy good for nothing and that is why he was on his knee all day yesterday and believe this dummy organization will make the same mistake to give him ton of money the same way Macc did to all the washed up vets in the past. 

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Maybe.  I really dont know.   I look him similarly like I look at Cam Heyward.  Both huge disappointments coming into league (granted Heyward wasnt a top 10 pick) but as soon as you put some talent around him, the guys a handfull.  Now that he has Dupree, Watt, Hargrave and Tuitt...Heyward can do his thing.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:10 PM, kmnj said:

our players have no heart and leadership starts with coaching

LW is slow and lazy and shows no heart

I miss rex he would get all of these number one picks to play some defense

They did play hard for Rex.  Never seemed to be any attitude issues then.  Trash Rex all you want, but every player wanted to play for him.  I met Jeremy Kerley and Bilal a few years back when Rex was coach and they could not hide their enthusiasm  for the guy and they were on offense.  Rex struck a chord with players, Bowles is a nice guy, but does not inspire players.  He should have stayed a coach under a HC who does.

Sad to say but Williams hasn't even touched Wilkerson's career.  When Wilkerson "cared"
he would get you 9-12 sacks, stop the run and sometimes be the best defender on
the field.  Williams hasn't approached that in four years, is it Bowles scheme or is
Williams just a JAG?

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Sad to say but Williams hasn't even touched Wilkerson's career.  When Wilkerson "cared"
he would get you 9-12 sacks, stop the run and sometimes be the best defender on
the field.  Williams hasn't approached that in four years, is it Bowles scheme or is
Williams just a JAG?

When will everyone just accept that he is a jag.  He’s never been a big sack guy, does not make impact plays or cause turnovers.  He’s just ok, period, a guy who dominated in college but lacks the quick twitch athleticism to excel in the nfl.  We can only hope this draft will not have any more jag DL.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:12 AM, JiF said:

Maybe.  I really dont know.   I look him similarly like I look at Cam Heyward.  Both huge disappointments coming into league (granted Heyward wasnt a top 10 pick) but as soon as you put some talent around him, the guys a handfull.  Now that he has Dupree, Watt, Hargrave and Tuitt...Heyward can do his thing.

Agreed.  People cite JJ Watt and Aaron Donald as what Leo should be, but look at who they are playing next to every week.  I’m not saying Leo can be those guys, but it’s not like there is anyone else on the Jets front 7 that scares an offense.  This is kinda what Leo is though.  I remember the pre draft chatter the year Leo was drafted, at one point he was the consensus #1 pick, I never bought in because he’s not an edge rusher and his “drop” in the draft was not a surprise for me.  It was the same thing with Coples, everyone wanted him to be an edge rusher, but when I watched him at UNC he was always better as an interior rusher, not an edge guy.  

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Maybe when “the best player in the draft” falls to 6, he’s not actually “the best player in the draft.”

Having the highest grade at your position is only 1 piece of the equation. The actual position that you play is the other. It’s not that difficult, unless you are Macc. 

I have a hard time judging players with a lame duck coach. Everyone is in self preservation mode to save themselves for next season, like it or not that is the nature of the NFL. Guys will play all out while they have a chance to play for a playoff spot or for their next contract, honestly I don't really blame them.

As for Leo specifically, I think it would be a mistake to trade him unless we are getting good value (2nd or better) reason being is I don't see anyway that we spend all our cap space. Sure $14M is a drastic overpay for his services but unless that $14M is going to actually be used I'd rather we just hold onto Leo for the sake of team continuity. Nothing would tick me off more than freeing up $14M in cap and going into next season with $30M under the cap.

19 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Maybe when “the best player in the draft” falls to 6, he’s not actually “the best player in the draft.”

In hindsight, that analysis wasnt really that far off.  Gurley, Gordon, Dupree...who else was better in that draft?  Williams is probably still a top 5 player from that draft.  Top 10, for sure. 

I understand that so many of you blame the coaching because you hate the head coach and staff so much that you want to blame them for a cloudy day. Of course, I watch this team so I understand why you hate these coaches too. 

However, this is not high school, it is PROFESSIONAL football. If you are not being the best accountant, lawyer, grave digger, organized crime hitman, whatever, it is on you, not your boss. Now the game plan or play calls may not be optimum for a particular performance or style, but Williams is a DL player. It is not the coaches fault that he is being bested by the opposite OL.

It is also not fair to compare him to Wilkerson, he shows up 

On 12/2/2018 at 5:13 PM, Larz said:

I noticed that too 

Couldn't stay on his feet 

He never got into great shape as an NFL player 

No way he gets paid and works harder 

Damn Shame 

but he's a stud and way more valuable than a "'back" like Gurley. 

i think it's time i should necro my "Leonard Williams isn't the phenom you think he is" thread from pre-draft 2015.,..., guy was a no show at USC in certain tell tell statistical areas, particular on passing downs if i recall. He wasn't a QB pressuring beast in college and we over drafted him based on "circuit hype" and bullet-proof image that was forged, much the same way a lot of this dlineman who suddenly become the defacto best defensive player in the draft... ie. Bradley Chubb.  

On 12/2/2018 at 8:00 PM, Scoop24 said:

Lol it’s funny how 3 all pro caliber dlinemen suddenly can’t play under Bowles and Rodgers ..  

sheldon seems to have regained form in Minnesota tho 

this was my point earlier but someone argued that. this on the staff and the way they are using him.Players do not forget how to play...the scheme is not built to their strength

Archived