Jets job is the most desired job this offseason

Rhg1084

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ehh, I disagree. I think the Browns are #1. They are in a similar situation to us in regards to having that young franchise QB but they have a lot more talent on the roster outside of the QB & a ton of draft capital coming up. 

I'd put the Jets #2, Packers #3 (Rodgers) & then Ravens #4. The rest aren't nearly as desirable as the top 4. 

27 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

According to Chad Forbes 

CE71514D-69AB-4645-9C85-5A66F8643739.png

Hahaha.... this list is idiotic.  This is nothing but one moron's subjective opinion.  Obviously has no knowledge of how badly the Johnsons do things.  The one thing he is right about though, is that the Johnsons place HC above GM in importance by having both GM and HC report to them.  So a potential HC might like not having to report to a GM.  Johnsons give HC an inordinate amount of say, particularly in player acquisition and the draft. We've seen that for well over a decade.  )nly 2 out of 11 1st round picks have been used on offense (Sanchez & Darnold) since 2009. No coincidence that the HCs during this insane 1st round "always pick defense" were all defensive headcoaches who were uninterested in offense.    Headcoach obviously gets priority over GM for round 1.  Otherwise why have all the 1st round picks (except Sanchez and Darnold) been defensive players?  It's flat out crazy.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

The Packers 4TH? Waste of time.

Did you look at the factors considered or just went "Oooh, Aaron Rodgers!!! Must be the best job."

Cap space. Franchise that rarely makes big plays in free agency. Young QB that you can mold vs vet QB that will get you fired if you don't do things his way. Having to deal with the Bears and Vikings the next few  years. Expectation level. 

No one is saying the Packers job isn't a good one, but it isn't quite as obvious as some think. If you go the Packers and go 10-6 and lose in the first round it's considered a disaster with Rodgers. If you go 10-6 and make the playoffs with Darnold next year the fanbase will build you a statute.

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What? Not possible. The Johnson's are evil.. We have no talent. Macc is a fool. Our best player on defense is a box safety.  Robby Anderson is a thug. 

The Johnson’s suck giant horse cock, yet I still also had said that the Jets could be the most desirable vacancy a few weeks ago.

14 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Ehh, I disagree. I think the Browns are #1. They are in a similar situation to us in regards to having that young franchise QB but they have a lot more talent on the roster outside of the QB & a ton of draft capital coming up. 

I'd put the Jets #2, Packers #3 (Rodgers) & then Ravens #4. The rest aren't nearly as desirable as the top 4. 

I'd imagine the argument, from the perspective of any of the "top" / veteran candidates would be that Maccagnan will be much easier to push around the way they want than Dorsey.  The Jets next coach will likely have more ability to build "their team", as opposed to coaching Dorsey's team.  I'd imagine this is less of a sticking point for first time head coaches, but if it's true that the Jets are looking at more of the experienced coaching crowd, that could certainly be a selling point for some of them.

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What? Not possible. The Johnson's are evil.. We have no talent. Macc is a fool. Our best player on defense is a box safety.  Robby Anderson is a thug. 

Our owner is fine, they will spend $$ and don't interfere as much as tin foil hat fans think.

We have a massive amount of cap space.

We have a potential Franchise QB in his second year in Darnold.

We have decent amount of (generally under-performing) talent on Defense.

Macc is not a pro. 

Anderson is not a con per se, but he's not a huge pro either.  He's a #3 WR in any decently talented O-skill group, and he may be that for us in our future.

With all that said, that list is total BS, one guys misguided opinions. 

There are 3 teams all of which have better spots for a potential Head Coach than NY (Ravens, Packers and Browns).  A 4th place position would be more accurate (IMO).

But sure, hype hype, at least we're finally #1 on some kind of list, amirite?

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Hahaha.... this list is idiotic.  This is nothing but one moron's subjective opinion.  Obviously has no knowledge of how badly the Johnsons do things.  The one thing he is right about though, is that the Johnsons place HC above GM in importance by having both GM and HC report to them.  So a potential HC might like not having to report to a GM.  Johnsons give HC an inordinate amount of say, particularly in player acquisition and the draft. We've seen that for well over a decade.  WIth only 2 out of 12 1st round picks being used on offense (Sanchez & Darnold). No coincidence that the HCs during this insane 1st round "always pick defense" were all defensive headcoaches who were uninterested inoffense.    Headcoach obviously gets priority over GM for round 1.  Otherwise why have all the 1st round picks (except Sanchez and Darnold) been defensive players?  It's flat out crazy.

It's amazing how angry some of you get when people are optimistic about the Jets future.

And yeah, it's subjective. How can it not be? 

22 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Agree, but I'm not even sure the Browns will be completely in on the coaching market. They've done extremely well with Gregg Williams at HC and Kitchens at OC so I see no reason why they shouldn't retain them at their positions.

IMO they would be outright stupid to let those guys go. The only issue they have is butt hurting Williams if they make Kitchens HC and vice versa. I would say Keeping williams as HC is the less damaging due to the interim success. 

They have a good staff and the team believes in them. Seems like a No brainer.  then again... it's cleveland. 

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Our owner is fine, they will spend $$ and don't interfere as much as tin foil hat fans think.

We have a massive amount of cap space.

We have a potential Franchise QB in his second year in Darnold.

We have decent amount of (generally under-performing) talent on Defense.

Macc is not a pro. 

Anderson is not a con per se, but he's not a huge pro either.  He's a #3 WR in any decently talented O-skill group, and he may be that for us in our future.

With all that said, that list is total BS, one guys misguided opinions. 

There are 3 teams all of which have better spots for a potential Head Coach than NY (Ravens, Packers and Browns).  A 4th place position would be more accurate (IMO).

But sure, hype hype, at least we're finally #1 on some kind of list, amirite?

Ravens "Franchise QB" is a RB. 

Packers Franchise QB is 35 and the talent on the team is 3rd best in it's own division with middling cap space and a less than ideal landing spot for Free Agents. 

Browns are arguably in a better spot. But you do realize that this list is subjective and if you think Darnold is going to be the better QB, it's not crazy to like the Jets future better than the Browns. 

Again, this list is subjective because all of these lists are going to be subjective. It's just funny how angry some of you get when people are optimistic about the Jets future. 

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean Rodgers is 35 years old and that roster is exactly oozing with talent. How many rookies have they started this year?

Add to it, if you happen to struggle during Rodgers last stretch to make an impact, the hatred will be palpable.  Hidden strife in GreenBay! 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's amazing how angry some of you get when people are optimistic about the Jets future.

You can be optimistic without engaging in unfounded hyperbole.

Our job is a good job, not the best, not the worst.  And that's ok.

Stop being such a tryhard.

Just now, Warfish said:

You can be optimistic without engaging in unfounded hyperbole.

Our job is a good job, not the best, not the worst.  And that's ok.

Of course the truly best jobs aren't actually available.  What a pointless argument for the sake of argument.

Short of an unexpected retirement from an all-time great team, the head coaching jobs becoming available already means they all have their own negatives.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I  agree.  It is totally one man's opinion and  I would guess a few others would share that opinion, but the main point is that the NY coaching position is not at the bottom of the barrel - it is actually near the top somewhere (#1-4) and that can not be bad for the Jets going forward. True truth.

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'd imagine the argument, from the perspective of any of the "top" / veteran candidates would be that Maccagnan will be much easier to push around the way they want than Dorsey.  The Jets next coach will likely have more ability to build "their team", as opposed to coaching Dorsey's team.  I'd imagine this is less of a sticking point for first time head coaches, but if it's true that the Jets are looking at more of the experienced coaching crowd, that could certainly be a selling point for some of them.

This has been my only hope/silver lining with keeping Mac. People saying that Mac EARNED he right to hire his own guy are insane. He’s proved to be in way over his head and not able to make decisions on his own. He needs a leader.

I’d feel much better if that’s part of the reasoning of keeping a weak GM and letting the coach have the keys to the castle. Mac is a spineless/brainless GM that a coach could dominate. 

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Hahaha.... this list is idiotic.  This is nothing but one moron's subjective opinion.  Obviously has no knowledge of how badly the Johnsons do things.  The one thing he is right about though, is that the Johnsons place HC above GM in importance by having both GM and HC report to them.  So a potential HC might like not having to report to a GM.  Johnsons give HC an inordinate amount of say, particularly in player acquisition and the draft. We've seen that for well over a decade.  )nly 2 out of 11 1st round picks have been used on offense (Sanchez & Darnold) since 2009. No coincidence that the HCs during this insane 1st round "always pick defense" were all defensive headcoaches who were uninterested in offense.    Headcoach obviously gets priority over GM for round 1.  Otherwise why have all the 1st round picks (except Sanchez and Darnold) been defensive players?  It's flat out crazy.

Great post, so many of the draft picks have Bowles finger prints all over them with Maccagnan always allowing his arm to be twisted.  And after ALL those assets spent on D what do we have this year?...drumroll....the 26th Ranked D haha...led by Bowles' supposed strong suit...the secondary.."new jack city"..what a joke.  They're so good Bowles put single coverage on DeAndre Hopkins all game.

This band of idiots almost ruined Sammy this year.  I actually thought they would.  Be he's too awesome.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

You’re right. Everything has been just great.

Come on man... give jojo some credit.  Although he's one of the most unrealistic, green tinted lenses posters on the board, he is indeed one of the most optimistic posters here.  What would this forum be without some posters like that?  We all actually need that occasional dose of delusion to keep our hopes up.  

But I'll credit Forbes with one thing.  It sure would be desirable to become an NFL HC and never have to answer to the commands of a GM.  On the Jets, the HC trumps the GM often.  That certainly has appeal. (As stupid as the hierachy is).

Archived