Jets job is the most desired job this offseason

Rhg1084

6 minutes ago, Jets1958 said:

I  agree.  It is totally one man's opinion and  I would guess a few others would share that opinion, but the main point is that the NY coaching position is not at the bottom of the barrel - it is actually near the top somewhere (#1-4) and that can not be bad for the Jets going forward. True truth.

This is why we couldn’t fire Mac and Bowles too early. After only a 2 year stint with Idzik, we needed to rebuild our patient image. 4 years of Mac and Bowles may have ruined a lot of things for this team, but it REALLY helped in this regard. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You’re right. Everything has been just great.

Has been just great? You do realize this is a discussion about how good  this job is going forward with Darnold/current young players/cap space etc..? 

It's amazing how blinded some of you are by your hate  that you refuse to even properly grasp the context of Chad Forbes argument. It has NOTHING to do with how things have been under Bowles it's how it looks GOING FORWARD. 

36 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Ehh, I disagree. I think the Browns are #1. They are in a similar situation to us in regards to having that young franchise QB but they have a lot more talent on the roster outside of the QB & a ton of draft capital coming up. 

I'd put the Jets #2, Packers #3 (Rodgers) & then Ravens #4. The rest aren't nearly as desirable as the top 4. 

I think its a toss up.  I agree Browns have more talent BUT I think Darnold is the QB with the higher ceiling and with 100 million in cap space, plus the draft position makes it more enticing to want the job

Looking at the list I would rate Jets and Browns as 1A and 1B depending on the priorities of any prospective coach. Ravens could be rated higher but I see them extending Harbaugh. The list is not as far fetched as some believe. Yes all this is subjective 

18 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'd imagine the argument, from the perspective of any of the "top" / veteran candidates would be that Maccagnan will be much easier to push around the way they want than Dorsey.  The Jets next coach will likely have more ability to build "their team", as opposed to coaching Dorsey's team.  I'd imagine this is less of a sticking point for first time head coaches, but if it's true that the Jets are looking at more of the experienced coaching crowd, that could certainly be a selling point for some of them.

I don't agree with all of that - trying to push people around in a work place will always cause friction & can be tough to deal with. 

Also, if Dorsey keeps hitting on draft picks why would it matter? The HC & GM can have a great working relationship as well. Having 2 guys with differing opinions isn't necessarily a bad thing

1 minute ago, Bocajetfan said:

Looking at the list I would rate Jets and Browns as 1A and 1B depending on the priorities of any prospective coach. Ravens could be rated higher but I see them extending Harbaugh. The list is not as far fetched as some believe. Yes all this is subjective 

Ravens have more overall talent. That is without question, but if you are a offensive minded Head Coach do you want a QB that is best suited for the triple option than a west coast/spread offense? 

Lamar Jackson can win you games with his legs, but he can't throw and is not as big as Cam and pretty susceptible to an injury running the ball 15 times a game. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Has been just great? You do realize this is a discussion about how good of this job is going forward with Darnold/current young players/cap space etc..? 

It's amazing how blinded some of you are by your hate  that you refuse to even properly grasp the context of Chad Forbes argument. It has NOTHING to do with how things have been under Bowles it's how it looks GOING FORWARD. 

I hate it when I get blinded by hate. 

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think its a toss up.  I agree Browns have more talent BUT I think Darnold is the QB with the higher ceiling and with 100 million in cap space, plus the draft position makes it more enticing to want the job

If you're realistic about FA, having 100 million doesn't mean anything. It's said all the time that a lot of FA are overpaid for what they give you. We don't have to look too far into our past to see that. But I do understand that having 100 mil is a selling point as opposed to being in Cap trouble

43 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Ehh, I disagree. I think the Browns are #1. They are in a similar situation to us in regards to having that young franchise QB but they have a lot more talent on the roster outside of the QB & a ton of draft capital coming up. 

I'd put the Jets #2, Packers #3 (Rodgers) & then Ravens #4. The rest aren't nearly as desirable as the top 4. 

Yet, they are still the Browns and in Cleveland. That ought to count for something in a bad way. You want to live and work in Cleveland? I sure as hell don't.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Ravens have more overall talent. That is without question, but if you are a offensive minded Head Coach do you want a QB that is best suited for the triple option than a west coast/spread offense? 

Lamar Jackson can win you games with his legs, but he can't throw and is not as big as Cam and pretty susceptible to an injury running the ball 15 times a game. 

We'll find out a lot about Jackson this weekend (& the following weekend if they make it to the playoffs). 

I think the game this weekend vs Browns is the one I'm most excited to watch

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Just don’t see the Ravens cutting bait with Harbaugh, so I will leave them out of the equation.

Just now, bgivs21 said:

We'll find out a lot about Jackson this weekend (& the following weekend if they make it to the playoffs). 

I don't think we will find out anything about him that we don't already know. He may be the best running QB of all time. He is a great playmaker...with his legs. If you watch him throw the ball, it's ugly. He misses wide open WRs. He can't go through progressions. But he can 100pct win games in the NFL with a great defense and his legs. 

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yet, they are still the Browns and in Cleveland. That ought to count for something in a bad way. You want to live and work in Cleveland? I sure as hell don't.

The NFL is different IMO. Why go to Green Bay? Why go the New England? Their teams play in the middle of nowhere. 

And we as Jets fans use the same reasoning as Browns fans would use - if you win here, you will be remembered forever. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't think we will find out anything about him that we don't already know. He may be the best running QB of all time. He is a great playmaker...with his legs. If you watch him throw the ball, it's ugly. He misses wide open WRs. He can't go through progressions. But he can 100pct win games in the NFL with a great defense and his legs. 

I understand he's not a great thrower of the ball but winning playoff games (do or die this week) & making plays has to count for something. 

9 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

If you're realistic about FA, having 100 million doesn't mean anything. It's said all the time that a lot of FA are overpaid for what they give you. We don't have to look too far into our past to see that. But I do understand that having 100 mil is a selling point as opposed to being in Cap trouble

Yes free agency is not a guarantee. But I think having a good young QB is a good selling point for free agents as well.  Plus we have a top pick that hopefully we can trade down to gather more.  Team get improve a lot this offseason

It's in the top 3... Young, talented, and promising QB. Money to spend to work with Mac to bring in guys that fit a scheme. And a chance to be the guy that helps turn around a franchise. Maybe that last one doesn't matter as much, but it's something. 

40 minutes ago, HessStation said:

And no offense but the whole premise is a subjective opinion you meatballs. 

But I think some of you guys are discounting  living/winning in NYC still being a big draw for big egos.

This can’t be discounted, friends. It’s how the Knicks seduced Enes Kanter into coming here. 

19 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I don't agree with all of that - trying to push people around in a work place will always cause friction & can be tough to deal with. 

Also, if Dorsey keeps hitting on draft picks why would it matter? The HC & GM can have a great working relationship as well. Having 2 guys with differing opinions isn't necessarily a bad thing

I'm not debating whether any of this is a good or bad thing for the team itself, but rather the appeal of certain head coaching candidates.  With names like Shanahan and Harbaugh flying around related to the Jets, you're talking about candidates who will want complete control.  Guys like that aren't going to be convinced that anyone else can build their team better than they can.

55 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Hahaha.... this list is idiotic.  This is nothing but one moron's subjective opinion.  Obviously has no knowledge of how badly the Johnsons do things.  The one thing he is right about though, is that the Johnsons place HC above GM in importance by having both GM and HC report to them.  So a potential HC might like not having to report to a GM.  Johnsons give HC an inordinate amount of say, particularly in player acquisition and the draft. We've seen that for well over a decade.  )nly 2 out of 11 1st round picks have been used on offense (Sanchez & Darnold) since 2009. No coincidence that the HCs during this insane 1st round "always pick defense" were all defensive headcoaches who were uninterested in offense.    Headcoach obviously gets priority over GM for round 1.  Otherwise why have all the 1st round picks (except Sanchez and Darnold) been defensive players?  It's flat out crazy.

Agree 100%. It is obvious that the head coach voice is at least the equal of the GMs in the first round especially.

Obviously it's very subjective and debatable but clearly the Jets job is appealing enough that it's even be in the conversation in the first place. Presumably you'd only rank the Jets job first if you put tremendous value on power within the organizational structure. That's the area where the Jets offer more, even if it's inherently a dumb way to do things. That, or you're all in on Darnold.

53 minutes ago, HessStation said:

And no offense but the whole premise is a subjective opinion you meatballs. 

But I think some of you guys are discounting  living/winning in NYC still being a big draw for big egos.

If you base it on population obviously a lot of the country thinks the NY metro area is a big draw.  Im not one of them but would prob prefer it to Wisconsin.    How many people would prefer to  be in Green Bay?

16 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

The NFL is different IMO. Why go to Green Bay? Why go the New England? Their teams play in the middle of nowhere. 

And we as Jets fans use the same reasoning as Browns fans would use - if you win here, you will be remembered forever. 

Green Bay at least has a storied franchise with a winning tradition and the fans are great.  New England is a beautiful area if you can get over being surrounded by mass holes and the * appended to their franchise.  Whereas, Cleveland is.... Is there any redeeming value to Cleveland? People will remember you for winning in the tristate area, no one besides the residents of Cleveland will know you won never mind remember wining in Cleveland.

10 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The keystone of America's heartland, steel mills that fired up America's rapid expansion, the original home of Rockefeller's Standard Oil, birthplace of Halle Berry...how could you?

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What? Not possible. The Johnson's are evil.. We have no talent. Macc is a fool. Our best player on defense is a box safety.  Robby Anderson is a thug. 

I gave you heart for this just so you could hit for the cycle and get all the reactions in one post. Congrats!

Archived