Jets job is the most desired job this offseason

Rhg1084

25 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think its a toss up.  I agree Browns have more talent BUT I think Darnold is the QB with the higher ceiling and with 100 million in cap space, plus the draft position makes it more enticing to want the job

I also think the character of the QB comes into play also. Darnold is 2 years younger than Mayfield, and still has 2 years of growth both physically & mentally as a QB B4 he's the same age as Baker in 2020. 

Now, do want want a guy like Darnold leading the way with calm quiet confidence or a guy like Mayfield doing Dick flops & staring down opposing coaches? Don't get me wrong, I think Bakers a good QB, but he's an immature sh*tty person. Just because you pulled yourself up by your own bootstraps to get to the top doesn't give you a reason to spit on the people you disagreed with when you get there. It's childish. Grow the f*ck up.

Weak people revenge, strong people forgive, intelligent people ignore. Karma will catch up to Mayfield, if grabbing your crotch & shaking it to the opposing team is cool to some fans than be a Browns fan. Some day when Mayfield is drilled into the turf & doesn't get up they'll be a lot football fans smirking. I just think he's a little classless sh*t. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

The keystone of America's heartland, steel mills that fired up America's rapid expansion, the original home of Rockefeller's Standard Oil, birthplace of Halle Berry...how could you?

While there is historical context to the area I don't place much value on a history book. As for Halle, it's been a while since Sword Fish.

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

Agree, but I'm not even sure the Browns will be completely in on the coaching market. They've done extremely well with Gregg Williams at HC and Kitchens at OC so I see no reason why they shouldn't retain them at their positions.

Over-the CAp has them with $28mm in cap space next year in a division with Baltimore, Pitt .

Do have a lot of talent on "D"  with Peppers, Ward, Garrett and  Chubb & Mayfield on "O". That's a lot of 5th year options coming in 2020 - 2021

The idea that the Ravens are a desirable destination is laughable.  They have an aging roster, and overrated QB (Flacco), and a gimmick QB who is going to be handed the reigns because of the legend of Ozzie Newsome...but if you look at the results of the last few drafts you'd begin to wonder if Ozzie took too many hits to the head.

2 hours ago, Jets1958 said:

Chad Forbes @NFLDraftBites

#JetsNYJets2018.png Whether GM Mike Maccagnan is kept or not irrelevant. New Coach will have keys to Franchise. Patient Ownership that provides resources. Franchise QB, $100M+ in Cap Room & Division that’ll transition away from Patriots dominance in next few Yrs.

image.png

Patient ownership is an understatement...they basically demand NOTHING of their coaches.  Think about it...

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not debating whether any of this is a good or bad thing for the team itself, but rather the appeal of certain head coaching candidates.  With names like Shanahan and Harbaugh flying around related to the Jets, you're talking about candidates who will want complete control.  Guys like that aren't going to be convinced that anyone else can build their team better than they can.

Holmgren Syndrome

It is the top job available 

Sure the Jets don’t exactly have some sort of glorious history, but they have a sh*t ton of things working in their favor that many have already pointed out.

- NYC

- 21 year old potential stud at QB

- $100+ million in cap space 

- Top 5 draft pick (Top 3 in all likelihood)

- Low expectations 

- A division that will be ripe for the taking within another year

- A defense that is damn near set with the exception of a premier passrusher and a DC with a functional brain

People can gush over the Browns all they want, but not too many people are choosing a city like f*cking Cleveland over New York. Especially the wives.

Just now, Untouchable said:

It is the top job available 

Sure the Jets don’t exactly have some sort of glorious history, but they have a sh*t ton of things working in their favor that many have already pointed out.

- NYC

- 21 year old potential stud at QB

- $100+ million in cap space 

- Top 5 draft pick (Top 3 in all likelihood)

- Low expectations 

- A division that will be ripe for the taking within another year

- A defense that is damn near set with the exception of a premier passrusher and a DC with a brain

People can gush over the Browns all they want, but not too many people are choosing a city like f*cking Cleveland over New York. Especially the wives.

^this.  The icing on the cake for coming to coach the Jets?  Well, isn't it obvious?  Our HC doesn't have to report  to, answer to or be accountable to whoever the emasculated GM happens to be.  The amount of say over personnel that Woody gives to his HC is extraordinary.   Any potential HC should find that appealing.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

And you're not even getting much of a tax savings benefit when you compare Ohio to NJ.  In fact, the total tax burden difference between the two states is just about half of a percent.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/10/us-states-with-the-highest-tax-burdens.html

As fans we dislike the johnsons as owners, however, coaches
probably feel the opposite.

Woody will pay you well, is
patient and will allow you time to build, provide you with a great practice facility, will not bury you to the media, won’t overreact to the fans (like us), you report directly to ownership and not a GM, spends money on players and I’m sure there other things I forgot. Potential coaches break all this down and have no issue with the Johnsons.

As far as Cleveland, they should keep Williams in place. He has them playing well. Compared to the jets, their owner is opposite than ours (fans love him and coaches have mixed feelings) Although he held onto hue Jackson too long, he has been a firing machine. Potential guys worry about job security. Also, it’s a small town compared to NY/NJ. For some coaches it’s a positive and some negative.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, IndianaJet said:

And you're not even getting much of a tax savings benefit when you compare Ohio to NJ.  In fact, the total tax burden difference between the two states is just about half of a percent.

New York taxes are irrelevant.  Jets employees who live in NJ pay NJ income tax, not NY.  Rex and Bowles both lived in NJ.  NJ taxes are high, but nowhere close to the obscene New York State/ & City income tax.  

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What? Not possible. The Johnson's are evil.. We have no talent. Macc is a fool. Our best player on defense is a box safety.  Robby Anderson is a thug. 

Note.  I gave you the "Confused" smiley reaction just so that you could claim the Royal Flush of reactions to this post. :D 

269851178_ScreenShot2018-12-27at10_23_54AM.png.3a738f80f7e45f03031e55227a46b3cd.png

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In no way am I trying to defend the Jets ownership, but if people think our ownership is a negative when it comes to coaches, what is Jimmy Haslam with the Browns?  He's widely considered one of the worst owners in all of professional sports.

While the Johnson bashing is deserved in some situations (i.e. making Bowles and equal to Macc or Tebow and re-acquiring Revis), it's way overblown on this forum.

Woody and now Chris have never been afraid to spend money, always have the backs of their players, provide state of the art facilities, were the first to voice opposition against that ridiculous kneeling rule, and have never embarrassed coaches or GM's with in season firings or being critical in the media.

Throw in the fact that they largely stay out of football affairs and ownership is probably viewed as a strength to both FA's and would be coaches alike.

You don't think potential FA's know the Jets have helped guys like ASJ and Robby turn their lives around and didn't give up on them like many owners would have?

The Jets job will be the best one available next week.  The only thing that could scare away a coach is the relentless media and fan scrutiny.   But if that would be the thing that scares a coach away, I wouldn't want them anyway.

2 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

Ehh, I disagree. I think the Browns are #1. They are in a similar situation to us in regards to having that young franchise QB but they have a lot more talent on the roster outside of the QB & a ton of draft capital coming up. 

I'd put the Jets #2, Packers #3 (Rodgers) & then Ravens #4. The rest aren't nearly as desirable as the top 4. 

The Packers situation is dicey.  The Coach will be on equal footing (at best) with Aaron Rodgers.  Can they even entertain the idea of a rookie HC and a slow rebuild in Green Bay??  Aaron isn't quite "old"  yet but let's face it....he's 35 and his window is going to start closing.  We can see it with Brady who has withstood the test of time better than any recent QB, but even he isn't quite the same player these days.

The next Head Coach in GB is likely to be the last one Rodgers will have there.  There's as much riding on these HC decisions for teams trying to gracefully wrap-up the careers of legacy guys as there is for teams trying to bring young guys with franchise talent (Darnold, Rose, etc.) to the next level.

26 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

24 minutes ago, Dcat said:

New York taxes are irrelevant.  Jets employees who live in NJ pay NJ income tax, not NY.  Rex and Bowles both lived in NJ.  NJ taxes are high, but nowhere close to the obscene New York State/ & City income tax.  

Who said anything about NY taxes?

Ravens have more overall talent. That is without question, but if you are a offensive minded Head Coach do you want a QB that is best suited for the triple option than a west coast/spread offense? 

Lamar Jackson can win you games with his legs, but he can't throw and is not as big as Cam and pretty susceptible to an injury running the ball 15 times a game. 

Plus next season DC's will have enough game film on him to neutralize a large % of his running. 

And yeah, it's subjective. How can it not be?  

I mean, if it were a person who is well-connected and has actual contacts within the league, that would make a list like this far less subjective. 

Anyone can just create their own criteria and make a list.  It's nice that this Chad guy thinks so highly of the Jets' job, but history has suggested it's been far from a desirable job.  High profile coaches haven't even given the Jets an interview when the job has opened up previously.  We've been forced to hire first-time HC's every single time.  Herm Edwards hadn't even been a Coordinator before. 

Darnold makes a big difference, so that's a positive change since the last time the HC position opened up.  And I guess the Patriots' finally starting to spiral downward helps too.  But otherwise....what else has changed?  Is that enough to make us the # 1 job among many different openings?  The Packers are not in amazing shape right now, but they still have a tremendous pedigree, ownership structure and history. 

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What? Not possible. The Johnson's are evil.. We have no talent. Macc is a fool. Our best player on defense is a box safety.  Robby Anderson is a thug. 

Posts obnoxious exaggerations. 

It's amazing how angry some of you get when people are optimistic about the Jets future.

And yeah, it's subjective. How can it not be? 

Surprised when people get annoyed by it. 

55 minutes ago, Pac said:

While the Johnson bashing is deserved in some situations (i.e. making Bowles and equal to Macc or Tebow and re-acquiring Revis), it's way overblown on this forum.

Woody and now Chris have never been afraid to spend money, always have the backs of their players, provide state of the art facilities, were the first to voice opposition against that ridiculous kneeling rule, and have never embarrassed coaches or GM's with in season firings or being critical in the media.

Throw in the fact that they largely stay out of football affairs and ownership is probably viewed as a strength to both FA's and would be coaches alike.

You don't think potential FA's know the Jets have helped guys like ASJ and Robby turn their lives around and didn't give up on them like many owners would have?

The Jets job will be the best one available next week.  The only thing that could scare away a coach is the relentless media and fan scrutiny.   But if that would be the thing that scares a coach away, I wouldn't want them anyway.

I can't help but laugh at this.  Your argument is that the bashing is overblown (which I do actually agree with), but feel the need to point out they're not responsible for many things except for when it comes to individual events that you've deemed they should be blamed personally for, which just so happen to be those that fit into your ridiculous narrative of excusing others for their own incompetencies (most recently, Maccagnan).  You're pushing a serious (and absurd) agenda here.

57 minutes ago, Pac said:

Other than the Velcro shoes, the bus pass, and the increasing prevalence of societal guardrails, how have you survived this long with a brain that processes information this way? 

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I can't help but laugh at this.  Your argument is that the bashing is overblown (which I do actually agree with), but feel the need to point out they're not responsible for many things except for when it comes to individual events that you've deemed they should be blamed personally for, which just so happen to be those that fit into your ridiculous narrative of excusing others for their own incompetencies (most recently, Maccagnan).  You're pushing a serious (and absurd) agenda here.

Not my fault you dont read anything other than this forum for your jet news.  The things I attribute to Woody are pretty well documented.

Archived