Jets job is the most desired job this offseason

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Note.  I gave you the "Confused" smiley reaction just so that you could claim the Royal Flush of reactions to this post. :D 

269851178_ScreenShot2018-12-27at10_23_54AM.png.3a738f80f7e45f03031e55227a46b3cd.png

I'd imagine that's a rarity.  One thing we can all agree on is that Jets ownership and Jets management are a polarizing issue.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

When people are optimistic for no reason there’s no incentive to give them a reason. You are why the Jets will always be bad.

Agreed, it's just idiotic to be optimistic about Sam Darnold leading the Jets into the future. There is clearly NO reason to be optimistic about this team and it's future. Why can't more posters be depressingly pessimistic? 

27 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'd imagine that's a rarity.  One thing we can all agree on is that Jets ownership and Jets management are a polarizing issue.

No doubt about it.  I truly believe Ownership wants all the right things.  They're not necessarily cheap, they are (too) patient with coaches and GMs (which is a positive for attracting the next HC), and they want to win.  The issue with Ownership is competence and their ability to do the right thing, not their desire to do the right thing.  Unlike Jerry Jones, I've never seen Jets ownership claim to be football experts....and it's a good thing that they recognize what they're not good at.  They've certainly spent money on consultants (Korn Ferry, the Wolf/Casserly endeavor, etc.) in an effort to find and acquire the right talent.  Again, they just haven't been able to hit the nail on the head.

55 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

When people are optimistic for no reason there’s no incentive to give them a reason. You are why the Jets will always be bad.

The NFL is a QB and Head Coach driven league.  The Jets have lacked both for the better part of 5 years now.  But the past 4 months have shown that one of those boxes might have finally been checked with QB Sam Darnold.  There are absolutely reasons to be optimistic.  I don't see anyone here claiming this team is close to a Championship or even playoff contention yet.  Expectations are reasonable in my opinion that a talented QB with the right coach could lead to a much better team over the next 2-3 years.

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Johnsons are a sh-tshow with an incompetent GM. Good luck hiring McCarthy or Arians we will be lucky to get Defilippo 

Gotta love Jets fans.  They turn one man's positive opinion about a potential coaching vacancy in NY into a whine-fest about the 50-year curse of the franchise. Yes, I watched Super Bowl three live and then have lived through the many intervening years of torture. 

But, I choose to hold on to a Cub's fan-like determination that at some point this thing will turn around. Maybe it will happen because of this coaching change - maybe not. But today, I choose to agree with the opinion tweet - that the Jet's job is not one of the worst that will open up this year, but it will actually be one of the better positions (top 3) available.

Time will tell.

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Ravens have more overall talent. That is without question, but if you are a offensive minded Head Coach do you want a QB that is best suited for the triple option than a west coast/spread offense? 

Lamar Jackson can win you games with his legs, but he can't throw and is not as big as Cam and pretty susceptible to an injury running the ball 15 times a game. 

I'm not saying you're completely wrong about Jackson, but give him a bit of a break. He's played half a season, and his team has only lost one of them. Also, he's playing with personnel tailored for a Flacco styled offense. The Ravens plan to go all in on getting the players/scheme around Jackson next year, he's only going to get better. He's got a very high ceiling. BTW, Jackson hasn't been injured this year, Darnold has.

4 hours ago, HessStation said:

The Johnson’s suck giant horse cock, yet I still also had said that the Jets could be the most desirable vacancy a few weeks ago.

They'd be an equal or greater level in terms of desirability for the GM job if the ownership was able to dispassionately look at the success to failure rates, and the rarity of success outside the top 6 overall draft selections. 

The team is chiefly filled with this flexibility and freedom because of the embarrassing job of team-building these past years from Maccagnan and before him. Take the OL for example; after 4 seasons, high picks, and 2 rebuilds or whatever it is, the best OLman on the team was acquired in freaking John Idzik's first draft back in 2013, and Winters is still merely adequate himself.

Ideal time to fully clean house. After $200MM in contracts is handed out this offseason (and based on history, they'll be selected poorly), and the incumbent HC is locked in for the next couple seasons minimum, and there's another year less of Darnold at only $8MM, the GM job becomes less attractive even one year later.

Leave it to the Johnsons to miss an easy layup like this.

3 hours ago, Pac said:

While the Johnson bashing is deserved in some situations (i.e. making Bowles and equal to Macc or Tebow and re-acquiring Revis), it's way overblown on this forum.

Woody and now Chris have never been afraid to spend money, always have the backs of their players, provide state of the art facilities, were the first to voice opposition against that ridiculous kneeling rule, and have never embarrassed coaches or GM's with in season firings or being critical in the media.

Throw in the fact that they largely stay out of football affairs and ownership is probably viewed as a strength to both FA's and would be coaches alike.

You don't think potential FA's know the Jets have helped guys like ASJ and Robby turn their lives around and didn't give up on them like many owners would have?

The Jets job will be the best one available next week.  The only thing that could scare away a coach is the relentless media and fan scrutiny.   But if that would be the thing that scares a coach away, I wouldn't want them anyway.

My biggest concern is your face scaring away good coaches.

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

The idea that the Ravens are a desirable destination is laughable.  They have an aging roster, and overrated QB (Flacco), and a gimmick QB who is going to be handed the reigns because of the legend of Ozzie Newsome...but if you look at the results of the last few drafts you'd begin to wonder if Ozzie took too many hits to the head.

I thought it was the head coach's fault when the draft picks don't pan out. So much confusion for me.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

^this.  The icing on the cake for coming to coach the Jets?  Well, isn't it obvious?  Our HC doesn't have to report  to, answer to or be accountable to whoever the emasculated GM happens to be.  The amount of say over personnel that Woody gives to his HC is extraordinary.   Any potential HC should find that appealing.

Totally. That's why after another losing season the HC is staying while his pissboy the GM is getting fired.

Oh, wait.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

New York taxes are irrelevant.  Jets employees who live in NJ pay NJ income tax, not NY.  Rex and Bowles both lived in NJ.  NJ taxes are high, but nowhere close to the obscene New York State/ & City income tax.  

The marginal tax rate is higher in NJ (8.97%) than in NY (8.82%). Also figuring any HC is probably married, the marginal rate kicks in at just $500K in NJ while for NY it's way up at over $2MM. 

State income taxes are higher in NJ than NY.

To be fair, the Jets owners are generally speaking, patient.

The QB is in place now so you don't have to spend time in the beginning trying to find the guy you want to build around. We already know who that is here.

We have $100 million in cap room to add free agents and imporve the team.

We are a lock for a top 5 draft pick.

That's a pretty good situation for a new HC to walk into.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally. That's why after another losing season the HC is staying while his pissboy the GM is getting fired.

Oh, wait.

The marginal tax rate is higher in NJ (8.97%) than in NY (8.82%). Also figuring any HC is probably married, the marginal rate kicks in at just $500K in NJ while for NY it's way up at over $2MM. 

State income taxes are higher in NJ than NY.

Funny, I lived in both states.  My taxes as a New Yorker were always miserably higher (% wise) than in NJ.  Perhaps NY lowered its rates in the last 30-35 years while NJ raised its own?  Perhaps it was the added extra NYC irritating income tax?  I worked in Manhattan while living in NJ as well for a few years, and the % to NY was higher than NJ, but at least I got to deduct that NYS non-resident beastly rate to lower my NJ tax.   All I can tell you is I made a lot less money when I lived in NY but paid a considerably higher income tax rate there compared to here.  I really don't care.  NY and NJ taxes both suck ass.  It's downright confiscatory.

12 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's like some of you are allergic to positive Jets news. 

1. Random Twitter accounts aren’t news. 

B.) The Jets job is flawed and certainly not the top vacancy of I was a coaching candidate just based on the idiotic power structure. 

#} I’m only allergic to cats and bulldoody. 

Thrieve) Sorry I have common sense. 

14 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

Ehh, I disagree. I think the Browns are #1. They are in a similar situation to us in regards to having that young franchise QB but they have a lot more talent on the roster outside of the QB & a ton of draft capital coming up. 

I'd put the Jets #2, Packers #3 (Rodgers) & then Ravens #4. The rest aren't nearly as desirable as the top 4. 

So, the term "the mistake by the lake" no longer applies.  How come Cleveland has all of a sudden become a "destination" spot.  Just don't get it.  Considering all the warts associated with the Jets' job it IS still New York,  and we do have the "DARNOLD"

So, the term "the mistake by the lake" no longer applies.  How come Cleveland has all of a sudden become a "destination" spot.  Just don't get it.  Considering all the warts associated with the Jets' job it IS still New York,  and we do have the "DARNOLD"

That’s what solid drafting does for you.

Myles Garrett, Mayfield, Denzel Ward, Njoku. That’s a tremendous core of homegrown players.

While Jets fans were busy making fun of the Browns, they lapped us with their decision-making as a franchise.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That’s what solid drafting does for you.

Myles Garrett, Mayfield, Denzel Ward, Njoku. That’s a tremendous core of homegrown players.

While Jets fans were busy making fun of the Browns, they lapped us with their decision-making as a franchise.

Jets can get there this year if Josh Allen is the pick & he turns into a stud pass rusher. 

Darnold-Adams-Herndon-Allen. Plus Maye will be a good player if he can stay healthy. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Jets can get there this year if Josh Allen is the pick & he turns into a stud pass rusher. 

Darnold-Adams-Herndon-Allen. Plus Maye will be a good player if he can stay healthy. 

If we draft Allen andbhe immediately pans out plus sign a Clowney we will have a legit pass rush next year

Archived