Help me understand the logic here...

NoBowles

So after my initial excitement over hiring Todd Bowles, who both Parcells and Arians spoke very highly of, it started to set in that Bowles was not HC material, from the staffs he built, to the team philosophy, the game planning, the lack of discipline and on and on. I have been very vocal the Jets need to get rid of Bowles.

That said, anyone watching this team can see that outside of a few players, this is not a talented roster, particularly where it matters most outside of hopefully Darnold.

i felt strong that both Mac and Bowles should have been gone at the end of last year.

im really struggling to understand the logic in keeping MAC. 

The only thing I can come up with is that the Johnsons gave Bowles even more roster say than I think he had, and Mac was truly more of an administrator than a GM.

best move would have been to clean house and bring on a true football guy, either GM, HC or head of football ops. Really struggling to understand this. 

"I think people are going to look back," Johnson said at a charity event in Midtown. "I honestly think they're going to look back 20 years from now and say that this is the moment that the Jets shifted into a new gear -- that they became a great team."

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

So after my initial excitement over hiring Todd Bowles, who both Parcells and Arians spoke very highly of, it started to set in that Bowles was not HC material, from the staffs he built, to the team philosophy, the game planning, the lack of discipline and on and on. I have been very vocal the Jets need to get rid of Bowles.

That said, anyone watching this team can see that outside of a few players, this is not a talented roster, particularly where it matters most outside of hopefully Darnold.

i felt strong that both Mac and Bowles should have been gone at the end of last year.

im really struggling to understand the logic in keeping MAC

The only thing I can come up with is that the Johnsons gave Bowles even more roster say than I think he had, and Mac was truly more of an administrator than a GM.

best move would have been to clean house and bring on a true football guy, either GM, HC or head of football ops. Really struggling to understand this. 

After the 117 threads about keeping/firing  Macc on JN and you STILL don't get it you NEVER will.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Again, why is Macc staying surprising to anyone?

This was obvious as soon as he signed Enunwa to an extension. They aren’t going to allow a guy they’re firing in 4 days to start inking players to $36 million deals.

DUH ! Thank you. Some people just are not keeping up.

Dumb penalties.

Clock management.

Poor effort from players and guys generally not buying in (missed practices n so on...).

I don't think anyone expected playoffs this year.  Hell, that span with mo WRs and an inability to snap a football was ridiculous.  No coach could have won.

However if you look at the last three years, the same mistakes and mishaps kept occurring.

I wish this was done last year, because I hate changing systems on a young QB, but it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This was obvious as soon as he signed Enunwa to an extension. They aren’t going to allow a guy they’re firing in 4 days to start inking players to $36 million deals.

I dont think anyone is surprised per say. We all knew he was staying but now that its official we are still in the denial/anger stage, just asking how/why/wtf over and over again, probably as some sort of coping mechanism.

2 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

I dont think anyone is surprised per say. We all knew he was staying but now that its official we are still in the denial/anger stage, just asking how/why/wtf over and over again, probably as some sort of coping mechanism.

I don’t know, it seems like plenty of people are genuinely surprised by this and it defies logic.

I still would’ve preferred cleaning house, but the Enunwa deal cemented that he was staying.

Mac came in to a no win situation. He deserves to get a shot at picking who he thinks should be the field general for this team. Why he ever agreed to this hideous system installed by the Johnson clan is beyond me? When I look at the state of the JETs I have to question would Wayne Chrebet , Lav. Coles, Snacks, etc make this team under Todd Bowles? Not a chance. Ray Lucas? Never.

Mac deserves one year at the least. The AFC East has been an absolute joke for 16 years with no change, so lets give him a shot. 

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t know, it seems like plenty of people are genuinely surprised by this and it defies logic.

I still would’ve preferred cleaning house, but the Enunwa deal cemented that he was staying.

Still the denial stage, lol.

I always knew he was staying but was holding out 1 percent chance the Johnsons would get one thing right for the first time ever.

Stupid me.

4 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Mac came in to a no win situation. He deserves to get a shot at picking who he thinks should be the field general for this team. Why he ever agreed to this hideous system installed by the Johnson clan is beyond me? When I look at the state of the JETs I have to question would Wayne Chrebet , Lav. Coles, Snacks, etc make this team under Todd Bowles? Not a chance. Ray Lucas? Never.

Mac deserves one year at the least. The AFC East has been an absolute joke for 16 years with no change, so lets give him a shot. 

?

HE HAS HAD 4

7 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Why does he deserve anything.  He’s done a worse job than literally everyone else in the league over the past 4 years.

And what do you do after the 1 year?  Fire him and force the new GM to take on this coach - or fire the new coach after 1 year?

19 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

People don't understand that the NFL is not a meritocracy by an old school dyed in the wool corporate environment to the extreme. In that environment, office politics, personal polish, appearance, how well spoken you are, and political shrewdness are as important as actual competence. I think there is no doubt that Mac probably since before the season started, started a subtle but focused campaign to build a narrative that he was building a team "for Bowles" and that the team building would be far better for a coach that aligned with his personal views, and could develop a young QB. Chris bought that narrative. Simple as that.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It was decently obvious months ago unless you stuck your head in the sand.

I accepted it and that is, largely, why I'm unfazed by it.  I don't like it, but that's not going to change the decision.

I think Mac is as bad as anyone else does, but I am more mystified by the inconsistency this team has shown season. Exhibit A: Detroit game (I thought was a turning point in Jets history) compared to the Bills debacle. The defense was smoking hot in the Lions game. Yet the same roster laid a giant egg v Buffalo 

35 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

No one is surprised.  But until it’s official, you can still hold out hope that the Jets won’t Jets up another decision.

Unfortunately, they did.

1 minute ago, Xtina said:

I think Mac is as bad as anyone else does, but I am more mystified by the inconsistency this team has shown season. Exhibit A: Detroit game (I thought was a turning point in Jets history) compared to the Bills debacle. The defense was smoking hot in the Lions game. Yet the same roster laid a giant egg v Buffalo 

That win over Detroit, those back-to-back wins over Denver and Indy (who looks like they'll be a 10 win team), a close loss to Houston, another playoff team....it is a little befuddling.

But a 6 game losing streak including that complete debacle at home vs. Buffalo (against a backup QB), the inability to close out a win against Cleveland and not being prepared at all for Baker Mayfield, the constant penalties, today's blowout vs. Patriots.  It was an avalanche of bad compared to just a few bright spots, the brightest being Darnold, even in some of those recent losses (Houston and Green Bay).

42 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Should have known when Chan Gailey was the guy he begged to get out of retirement   Not to mention Andy Reid leaving him behind in Philly when he left for KC. 

The loss to the Bills against Rex was telling similar to Rex losing to the fish in 2011. Remember these games were against similar or inferior teams and lost. When they come back the following season and perform worse those loses are telling to me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That win over Detroit, those back-to-back wins over Denver and Indy (who looks like they'll be a 10 win team), a close loss to Houston, another playoff team....it is a little befuddling.

But a 6 game losing streak including that complete debacle at home vs. Buffalo (against a backup QB), the inability to close out a win against Cleveland and not being prepared at all for Baker Mayfield, the constant penalties, today's blowout vs. Patriots.  It was an avalanche of bad compared to just a few bright spots, the brightest being Darnold, even in some of those recent losses (Houston and Green Bay).

Well how bad can the roster be if the team managed some impressive wins? 

@NoBowles In order for me to help you, I want you to go into your garage. Are you there? Good. Now, find the biggest can of paint thinner you can. Have you found it? Open it. Now, stick your entire face as deep inside as you can without your nose touching the liquid. And now I want you to inhale. Deeply. Only after you've followed these directions will you begin to understand the logic that is at play here. 

12 minutes ago, Xtina said:

I referred to that Detroit game today as a false positive.  First game of the season, Lions were not ready to play.  Made us look better than we really were.  I was really excited after that game, but in hindsight, I think that one was more about the Lions being a bad team that was not ready to play.  They would have lost to just about anyone in the league that night.  

Kind of like us against Buffalo; Buffalo was not great, we were just that bad.

Archived