Pats have 12 draft picks in upcoming draft.

Jetster

Now this makes me sad. I think they also have 2 twos & 4 threes? Correct me if I'm wrong. 7 picks in the top 100. Jets are gonna have to do a better job in player management no matter who our QB & Coach are. I can tell you this, I'm already against giving that slug Leo Williams 14.2 million. We could find 5 vets in free agency for half that price & get 2 sacks and stop the run.

10 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

True, but it has little to do with the draft outside of the brady* pick. Pats* drafts are generally barren wastelands where the pats* impress everyone by trading back for extra picks then blowing said picks.

They’ve had a lot of bust but they’ve also hit on enough players to make a difference. 

2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, (2015, 2016 maybe) 

They drafted someone that was a contributor to their success in each of those drafts. They might not be getting big name players but they’re solid. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Now this makes me sad. I think they also have 2 twos & 4 threes? Correct me if I'm wrong. 7 picks in the top 100. Jets are gonna have to do a better job in player management no matter who our QB & Coach are. I can tell you this, I'm already against giving that slug Leo Williams 14.2 million. We could find 5 vets in free agency for half that price & get 2 sacks and stop the run.

The Pat's don't have a good record of hitting on draft picks. They most as often as the hit. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Yeah but those twos are almost high threes and the threes are almost high 4s ??

The way the Patriots are run from a roster standpoint, is a like the dream scenario for the Jets. We are WAY too behind the 8 ball and will probably not really have enough time to build a stacked roster on Sam’s rookie deal. So HOPEFULLY we get a new GM that can actually draft within next few years and just create a deep team with a pipeline of system players where we can let guys walk and get comp picks regularly.

It’s such a huge advantage. Let’s we resign Sam to top QB money because he reaches his potential, we won’t be able to afford a lot of other players so we’ll have to strategically trade them or let them walk which can work to our advantage. You sacrifice susperstars and get more depth/solid players in return. I am fine with that as QB is the only position that needs superstars. Rest of the team needs to be balanced and replaceable. 

52 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The Pats don't draft very well, they win b/c you can literally put anyone around the QB and he will have them in championship contention. 

I'm sorry, but it is ridiculous to say they don't draft well after they've won their 6th SB.  They clearly accomplish what they want in the draft because they usually trade back favoring volume over flash. They have no holes in their roster. They clearly get what they want out of the draft. Plus in 2015 they had 7 players on their team who they drafted/signed as college free agents, developed, and then made the pro bowl. SEVEN. I'd say they have a pretty fair idea on how to find players in the draft.  Then after a bunch of those guys get traded or leave in free agency because the Pats are unwilling to overpay, they find new players. 

Plus, all but one of their entire starting O have never played for a team other than the Patriots. The only exception is Trent Brown, who they obtained in a trade for Jimmy G, whom they drafted. On D, 7 starters are guys they drafted or signed out of college (including Chung who left and returned). They also added Kyle Van Noy in a trade with the Lions sending a 6th round pick to the Lions for Van Noy and a 7th round pick!!! So that makes 8 D starters they used the draft to obtain or signed as college free agents. 

Seeing as the vast majority of their starting SB winning roster was put together using the draft, it seems a little silly to say they don't draft well. 

Brady just reiterated with Michael Strahan 45 is still his goal, which means this dude is sticking around for Sam Darnolds entire rookie deal! 

So seeing the Patriots had 12 picks in this upcoming draft was a complete bummer to be honest with you. Jets, Bills & Fins are basically rebuilding AGAIN so chalk up at least 5 wins in the division AGAIN, which puts them AGAIN at 12-4, 13-3 which likely is good enough for another home playoff run & maybe 1 road game, maybe no road games to end up in the Super Bowl AGAIN in 2020! Freaking depressing. 

They draft well given their position.  Their Oline (one of the best in the NFL) has 4 midround draft picks and quite a lot of depth picks as well.  Their Dline has 3-4 draft picks including one of the best DEs in the league and several situational talents (3rd down rushers).  Their safeties were all draft picks and have been amongst the best safety groups in the league for ~6 years now.  They have 2 good LBs one of which was an all pro before his injury (Van Noy and Hightower), two really good rbs (Michel and White) and they've hit on two excellent qbs that netted them positive draft capital (Brisset/Garropolo).  They have multiple special team aces that were all draft picks (including the best gunner in the league and a good K/P).  The only thing they don't draft well are wide receivers (except Edelman), and the busts they have tend to be busts for injury related reasons (you can see that that's one of their tactics, they go for high risk/reward by taking players that drop).

They aren't the best in the league at drafting, (i'd say the Steelers have been), and their draft position precludes them from getting freak athletes, but they end up with very solid contributors and consistently strong depth.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm sorry, but it is ridiculous to say they don't draft well after they've won their 6th SB.  They clearly accomplish what they want in the draft because they usually trade back favoring volume over flash. They have no holes in their roster. They clearly get what they want out of the draft. Plus in 2015 they had 7 players on their team who they drafted/signed as college free agents, developed, and then made the pro bowl. SEVEN. I'd say they have a pretty fair idea on how to find players in the draft.  Then after a bunch of those guys get traded or leave in free agency because the Pats are unwilling to overpay, they find new players. 

Plus, all but one of their entire starting O have never played for a team other than the Patriots. The only exception is Trent Brown, who they obtained in a trade for Jimmy G, whom they drafted. On D, 7 starters are guys they drafted or signed out of college (including Chung who left and returned). They also added Kyle Van Noy in a trade with the Lions sending a 6th round pick to the Lions for Van Noy and a 7th round pick!!! So that makes 8 D starters they used the draft to obtain or signed as college free agents. 

Seeing as the vast majority of their starting SB winning roster was put together using the draft, it seems a little silly to say they don't draft well. 

If they don't have Brady they don't compete for Championships.  He covers up mistakes, NE has not been a great drafting team.  No matter who is around Brady he succeeds, did people around here not learn after the giants signed Nate solder?

24 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

If they don't have Brady they don't compete for Championships.  He covers up mistakes, NE has not been a great drafting team.  No matter who is around Brady he succeeds, did people around here not learn after the giants signed Nate solder?

They may not be great at drafting, but they had someone on D to slow the Chiefs down and shut down the Rams.

They have talent.   While we whine about winning games late in the season to ruin our draft picks, they keep finding people to play in later rounds.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

They may not be great at drafting, but they had someone on D to slow the Chiefs down and shut down the Rams.

They have talent.   While we whine about winning games late in the season to ruin our draft picks, they keep finding people to play in later rounds.

Yeah, they really allowed down KC.  KC only had 31 points in  20 minutes of time of possession.

Just now, peebag said:

yea - the GOAT got'em 13 points in the SB

The D won this SB, they played big for a change in the biggest game but they don't get near a SB if they had to rely on their D.  They just came off a game where they allowed 31 pts in 20 minutes TOP.

5 minutes ago, peebag said:

yea - the GOAT got'em 13 points in the SB

and held the Rams to 3. Guess that Brady can play D now too.

It's their mindset. I hate these guys and can't wait to see them go down but they EXPECT to win. Whenever they go out there they BELIEVE they will win. They take care of their guys but there is discipline and there are consequences. It all comes from the top. The HC and coaching staff set the tone and the players follow it or they are gone and it works. The results speak for themselves.

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

The AFC East schedule has helped the Patsies to soooooooo many winning seasons.

4-6 guaranteed wins a season would help any team be good. 

Their win % is virtually identical outside the division.  That is a weak excuse.  They would dominate any division.  No one can compete with them for 16 games, where they get picked off occasionally is in a one game scenario in the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

and held the Rams to 3. Guess that Brady can play D now too.

It's their mindset. I hate these guys and can't wait to see them go down but they EXPECT to win. Whenever they go out there they BELIEVE they will win. They take care of their guys but there is discipline and there are consequences. It all comes from the top. The HC and coaching staff set the tone and the players follow it or they are gone and it works. The results speak for themselves.

They expect to win, and they don't beat themselves.

KC beat themselves with an awful penalty.   The Falcons beat themselves in not understanding how to run a play clock down.  The Jags beat themselves by playing great for 30 minutes and going into a shell.  

It's not luck.   It is intelligence and discipline.  I hate the Pats, but teams should watch and learn.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Brady just reiterated with Michael Strahan 45 is still his goal, which means this dude is sticking around for Sam Darnolds entire rookie deal! 

So seeing the Patriots had 12 picks in this upcoming draft was a complete bummer to be honest with you. Jets, Bills & Fins are basically rebuilding AGAIN so chalk up at least 5 wins in the division AGAIN, which puts them AGAIN at 12-4, 13-3 which likely is good enough for another home playoff run & maybe 1 road game, maybe no road games to end up in the Super Bowl AGAIN in 2020! Freaking depressing. 

This is what we're worried about in February?  Come on, relax.  A lot can happen between now and August. Let's say the "Anointed One" is in his kitchen one morning whipping up a batch of his favorite magical smoothies.  He inadvertently spills a little on his imported marble kitchen floor, turns the corner, slips, and BAM, tears an MCL.  Game Changer. This "Patriot Obsession"  is not healthy.  I prefer to focus on the Jets. They didn't go 19-0,  F-em.   A lot can happen.  Feel better.  Regards.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

OMG! No team is a perennial contender without a QB. Don't forget the Pats won 11 games in the season he missed. That is not the accomplishment of an untalented roster. Put Brady on another team and he'd still be great, but not as great as he is with BB and the players he puts around Brady. It's funny because you dismiss the talent around Brady and I think Brady would say he has the best two way TE in the NFL, a top 10 WR, and a top 5 O line. 

As to the SB win. Did Brady block Suh and Donald? Did Brady catch the goal line pass to Gronk?  Did Brady get inside Edelman's feet and make him impossible to cover? Did Brady stop the Rams from running? Did Brady pressure Goff? Did Brady blanket the Rams receivers. Brady wasn't great in that superbowl. He was good and didn't make any game changing mistakes.  A Pats D that gave up 3 points and a WR who was impossible to cover won that SB. Chock up a SB win for that talentless group surrounding the great Tom Brady.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The Pats don't draft very well, they win b/c you can literally put anyone around the QB and he will have them in championship contention. 

So they dont draft well and Belichick doesnt coach well.

Amazing that they win so often.  Because its all not Brady

56 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Is there any evidence that the Pats don’t draft well?

Hell Van Noy and J. McCourty were acquired by moving down in the draft.

12 picks again. I mean they are guaranteed to win the division. 

I read this a lot and get confused by the claim. 

The Pats have had 8 1st round picks since 2010.   Some years they didnt have any, some years they had 2.  They pulled:

Isaih Wynn (IR), Sony Michel, Malcom Brown, Dom Easley (bust, go Gator!), Chandler Jones, Donta Hightower, Nate Solder, Devin McCourty.  lol   Terrible drafting!!!!

But, where the Pats build through the draft is where real GM's make their hay and build their teams and acquire true depth: Their 2-5 is as solid as it gets. Chung, Gronk (HOF), Jimmy G, White, Edleman, Collins, Cannon, Ryan, Brissett, Karas, Harmon, Flowers, Ebner, Mason, Roberts, Rivers, Wise...the list goes on with dudes who are no longer on the team but at one point, were huge parts of their team. 

Totally false misnomer that that Pats dont draft well.  

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I read this a lot and get confused by the claim. 

But, where the Pats build through the draft is where real GM's make their hay and build their teams and acquire true depth: Their 2-5 is as solid as it gets. Chung, Gronk (HOF), Jimmy G, White, Edleman, Collins, Cannon, Ryan, Brissett, Karas, Harmon, Flowers, Ebner, Mason, Roberts, Rivers, Wise...the list goes on with dudes who are no longer on the team but at one point, were huge parts of their team. 

Totally false misnomer that that Pats dont draft well.  

Was a great 7th rd pick..

Archived