Time for the Jets to trade for Clowney

Sully80

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Honestly it's not a bad idea could add an elite edge and give Mac the chance to draft a Center. Clowney and Mosleys contracts would be looming down the road though. I'd atleast make the call because idk if Houston can afford the massive contracts their 3 stars are going to command (Hopkins,Watson and Clowney) 

All that money on top of the Watt deal is a lot to account for. I think the worst part about this move would be the weight of Clowney's contract on the cap as opposed to Josh Allen or Bosa on a rookie deal. But who knows if Bosa or Allen turn out to be as good as Clowney, people thought Clowney was Lawrence Taylor coming out, he's been great but not what people thought he would be.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

Glazer has reported teams are calling about him and Frank Clark. Time for Jets to get their EDGE guy. He's 26, has only missed 4 games in the past 3 seasons. Took him a couple years to figure it out but he's now posted back to back 9 sack seasons, in a Williams defense he could flourish and realize his untapped potential. If you put any stock into PFF, he was a top 10 EDGE defender this past year and looked great against the Jets last year. Deal makes sense with Mac's connections to Houston and being a part of the regime that drafted him #1 overall. Give the Texans #3 for Clowney and their 1st round pick, this is essentially the equivalent of trading 3 second round picks to Houston as far as chart value goes, maybe you can squeeze a third out of the Texans but I doubt it. Take #23 and address OL or WR. We get our pass rusher and still have a first rounder to toy with. Discuss.

No way... Clowney is a Lazy Athlete... You will be getting a more talented Mo Williams.... HARD PASS 

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

if we're gonna make a splash trade get Sam a WR#1 

I know y'all love your pass rushers but a true high-end WR would make this a top 10 offense (assuming Sam gets better)

Having an offense that scores points would be fun to watch!

Trade #3 (Pick) Lee and Leo to the Jags for Ramsey, Lee and #7...

Lee is a possession WR for the Jets, they get a great CB in Ramsey and move down in the draft...  

21 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Why? He’s old and overrated. We are building for next 4 years 

Bosa and Allen in the draft on cheap rookie contracts fits Darnold's timeline.  That makes more sense then absorbing Clowney's contract.

Also Justice Houston had 9.5 and 9 sacks the past two seasons.  IMO he's like Dwight Freeney, John Abraham and Cameron Wake, Julius Peppers...guys that can be effective pass rushers into their 30's.  Houston's contract should be cheaper then Clowney's. 

Jets have options with that 3rd pick. I'd rather they keep it and see what happens on draft day.

2 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Bosa and Allen in the draft on cheap rookie contracts fits Darnold's timeline.  That makes more sense then absorbing Clowney's contract.

Also Justice Houston had 9.5 and 9 sacks the past two seasons.  IMO he's like Dwight Freeney, John Abraham and Cameron Wake, Julius Peppers...guys that can be effective pass rushers into their 30's.  Houston's contract should be cheaper then Clowney's. 

Jets have options with that 3rd pick. I'd rather they keep it and see what happens on draft day.

Give me Houston and Bosa... with Williamson and Mosley.... thats a mean group... 

30 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

Not wasting draft picks, just trading back. Our 1st for their 1st and Clowney. Definitely has the ACL injury and a history of being injury prone but he's only missed 3 games in the past 3 seasons.

You're still placing too high a value on him. He's not worth three second round picks -- not even close. His production hasn't been elite, he has a high salary--$16 million!--and, even at age 26, his body is more like a 30-year-old's given his injury history. Michael Bennett is a comparable player and he was traded away for less than a fifth-round pick.

42 minutes ago, SR24 said:

While I do agree adding Clowney would be awesome. I think adding Houston and then Allen/Bosa might be a better option

This. Why give up the 3rd pick when you can get Allen or Bosa for less money the next 5 years?

The trade idea had some merit until you gave up our first pick. I'd ask about Clowney though, I like him and two edge guys are better then one, if I'm doing my math properly.

The bitch is the Barr thing falling through really took a lot of the bloom off our FA rose in my opinion. I don't blame Macc for that, or even the kid. He had second thoughts, stayed where he was happy. The Vikings though? F**k them. They had all year to sign the guy, then when another team reaches an agreement they step in? Man I hope there is karma in this world. If there is, they deserve a lot of the bad kind for this.

24 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This. Why give up the 3rd pick when you can get Allen or Bosa for less money the next 5 years?

The trade idea had some merit until you gave up our first pick. I'd ask about Clowney though, I like him and two edge guys are better then one, if I'm doing my math properly.

The bitch is the Barr thing falling through really took a lot of the bloom off our FA rose in my opinion. I don't blame Macc for that, or even the kid. He had second thoughts, stayed where he was happy. The Vikings though? F**k them. They had all year to sign the guy, then when another team reaches an agreement they step in? Man I hope there is karma in this world. If there is, they deserve a lot of the bad kind for this.

Agreed.  We are in a sweet spot at the draft.  As for Barr I still feel he did a unprofessional thing. Yes it wasnt official but making a agreement with us then ditching us probably cost us other FA we would of talked to if we didnt think Barr was coming

1 hour ago, Sully80 said:

Glazer has reported teams are calling about him and Frank Clark. Time for Jets to get their EDGE guy. He's 26, has only missed 4 games in the past 3 seasons. Took him a couple years to figure it out but he's now posted back to back 9 sack seasons, in a Williams defense he could flourish and realize his untapped potential. If you put any stock into PFF, he was a top 10 EDGE defender this past year and looked great against the Jets last year. Deal makes sense with Mac's connections to Houston and being a part of the regime that drafted him #1 overall. Give the Texans #3 for Clowney and their 1st round pick, this is essentially the equivalent of trading 3 second round picks to Houston as far as chart value goes, maybe you can squeeze a third out of the Texans but I doubt it. Take #23 and address OL or WR. We get our pass rusher and still have a first rounder to toy with. Discuss.

Trade him straight up for Hackenburg

1 hour ago, Sully80 said:

they are drafting their guy. they are in line for Bosa at the moment

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Problem is they're already set at QB that's a huge jump for a team without a real glaring need. I don't hate the idea but idk if they pull the trigger on that

I see the O.P.s point. the benefit for Houston is to maintain control of a player at better cap number for longer.  We have the cap space and can fill two holes in move.. The only thing is if Bosa is there and if he is as good as his brother would you value him higher then Clowney

16 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I see the O.P.s point. the benefit for Houston is to maintain control of a player at better cap number for longer.  We have the cap space and can fill two holes in move.. The only thing is if Bosa is there and if he is as good as his brother would you value him higher then Clowney

Great point brother soomewhere in this thread I actually posted an article that compares Nick,Joey Bosa, Clowney, and Khalil Mack you gotta find it and read it. They had Nick above Clowney based purely off college but it’s a fascinating article they really dive into all the players attributes 

So the strategy here is to trade our number three overall pick and receive the #23 pick of  the Texans to acquire:

1]  The same type of player that we can draft at that spot

2]  Who will project to give us the same production

3]  Will be four years younger

4]  Will be salary cap friendly

5]  Will  possibly have bigger upside

****  All for the pleasure, of paying 60 million plus dollars in the process, for the 23rd pick in the first round.

NO THANK YOU.  

26 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Great point brother soomewhere in this thread I actually posted an article that compares Nick,Joey Bosa, Clowney, and Khalil Mack you gotta find it and read it. They had Nick above Clowney based purely off college but it’s a fascinating article they really dive into all the players attributes 

Just read it. It is good food for thought. I never would have thought Clowney had that many behind the LOS tackles while not getting sacks

3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

So the strategy here is to trade our number three overall pick and receive the #23 pick of  the Texans to acquire:

****  All for the pleasure, of paying 60 million plus dollars in the process, for the 23rd pick in the first round.

NO THANK YOU.  

I think the point is we can fill two wholes in move rather then fill one need. It is just a value versus perspective. Would you take Clowney (edge rusher) and ol/wr to help Sam or take the edge rusher with number three. It goes to perceived value as well will Bosa if he is there be great if you think so then the answer is very hard versus getting an edge rusher and OL that will be all of the above. 

This is good question I see the O.P.s point and it is pretty valid. Stay put fill one need with a potentially great player or get help in two areas with a rookie and pro bowlerI

I love the idea of drafting Josh Allen, but the people justifying passing on Clowney in a trade because we can draft him are batsh*t insane.  They are in different stratospheres.  If the Texans will actually pick up the phone and trade him for 3, and I don't think they will, you do it.

36 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

NO THANK YOU.  

You're betting that Bosa/Allen gives us that production. Gholston was a sure bet too. You get a guaranteed top 10 EDGE player, and MAYBE you get your Mangold or a #1 WR or your LT/RT for years to come. Not making this move MAYBE gives you a pass rusher.  I understand the argument about paying him big money versus drafting a kid and hoping he gives you the same production on a rookie deal, but let's not act like making a deal like this makes 0 sense, because it does. 

44 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I think the point is we can fill two wholes in move rather then fill one need. It is just a value versus perspective. Would you take Clowney (edge rusher) and ol/wr to help Sam or take the edge rusher with number three. It goes to perceived value as well will Bosa if he is there be great if you think so then the answer is very hard versus getting an edge rusher and OL that will be all of the above. 

This is good question I see the O.P.s point and it is pretty valid. Stay put fill one need with a potentially great player or get help in two areas with a rookie and pro bowlerI

So then you place the value of the #23 pick at 50 million dollars.  The cost of Clowney's salary minus the contract value of the #23 pick.  I'd much rather have Bosa/Allen  and their youth and  potential over Clowney anyway,  If the extra pick is the issue, you can easily sign Houston , and trade the #3 for more draft capital ,  and get both  the wide receiver and offensive lineman, if that is the case. Besides, I'm not in love with Clowney to begin with and don't necessarily ascribe to the belief that the Jets need two more edge rushers.

5 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

You're betting that Bosa/Allen gives us that production. Gholston was a sure bet too. You get a guaranteed top 10 EDGE player, and MAYBE you get your Mangold or a #1 WR or your LT/RT for years to come. Not making this move MAYBE gives you a pass rusher.  I understand the argument about paying him big money versus drafting a kid and hoping he gives you the same production on a rookie deal, but let's not act like making a deal like this makes 0 sense, because it does. 

I am quite confident that Bosa and/or Allen is going to produce the 29 sacks that Clowney has produced in five seasons, to date. I fully expect both to surpass those totals.  As I told @rammagen for me it makes much more sense to sign Houston for just the money, trade back and then you can get both the wide receiver and the offensive lineman for the draft capitol gained for trading back.  That scenario to me makes much more sense.  Sorry.

4 hours ago, Sully80 said:

4 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

We're sitting right in the Bosa/Allen sweet spot with potential upside if another team goes nuts for a QB.  Why would we do this trade?  

This.  And we can get the edge rusher on a rookie contract.  This trade idea is bad business.

Archived